• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is the new Sonic

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
FF:
-Last good game was decades ago
-Way more bad games than good games
-Spinoff games have been good (theatrhythm, MMOs, sonic racing transformed, sonic mania)
-Outstanding music
-Sonic cycle, every new game will finally be the good one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
FF:
-Spinoff games have been good (theatrhythm, MMOs, sonic racing transformed, sonic mania)
-Outstanding music
Well the difference is that the future of FF seems to be looking up with the new game coming out as an exclusive to PS5. What they've shown in trailers looks absolutely stunning, lots of FF fans are looking forward to that game. Sonic on the other hand gets an open world unfinished tech demo and Halo gets a dying shooter.
personally my favorite FF game is FF5 on the SNES. the 2d games honestly had a lot more readable and quicker paced combat than the PS1-PS2 titles, and everything else just feels like a super slow and clunky hack and slash.

FF:
-Outstanding music
-Latest Last game was 2020 and was amazing
-The only "bad games" and thats debatable are 2,8 and xiii trilogy
-The MMOS are not spinoffs

ACESHIGH

Banned
Not quite there yet, but they really need to get back on track. Sonic's legacy was build with 4 games from 1991 to 1994 and then 90% of games have been trash. Halo games are still decent. Infinite should show strong signs of recovery in the next 6 months or its game over

93xfan

Banned
Halo 5 started the microtransaction on MP, and they removed Big Team battle to make warzone, a P2W Mode, and the progresión was a pw2 gatcha too
You know, BTB was trash in Halo 5, now that you mention it. 4v4 had some good to average maps, but the gameplay was a ton of fun

93xfan

Banned
I just hope that they'll give Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer some love now.

they should let Infinite die already and concentrate on making H2A the new main Halo MP going forward.
a pipedream of course, but it would be the best way forward by far
I’d love that. Maybe even make the plasma pistol overcharge stop vehicles like in Halo 3. Then, put in more Halo 2 maps, some of the best Halo 3 maps, and call it just Halo Anniversary.

It already has the AR, ammo for the sword, and a few other things from Halo 3, so why not just make it an all around best of Halo, drawing mostly from 2 and 3?

I’ll take Midship, ivory Tower, Guardian, Valhalla, sand trap, Containment, Waterworks and maybe Terminal

Last edited:

CuNi

Most people that actively play Halo were happy with the HI campaign outside of the lack of coop from what I've seen. I'm not sure you could say that about some of the Sonic titles.

I can't talk for anybody but myself and the people I know and it's obviously not representative of the larger fan base but from the 3 people, myself included, that played HI, literally no one liked the Story or Gameplay of it.
They tried a soft reboot of the whole franchise and made a so lackluster story that I could imagine most players, new and old ones alike, dislike it. The open world aspect is also just sad as it's a hugely unused piece of potential filled with barely anything to do.

Well if i list all Sonic games here, less than 20% of the games are BAD.
That stigma is sooo exhausting and FALSE imo...

About Halo, well, i can't tell because i don't like the franchise.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
The standards are in the gutter, my god.

Imagine saying this about a game delayed for a full year, released with like one mode, almost 0 updates since then, after almost a full year.

You're saying the game will be complete 3 years after its original release date basically...

Management sucks over there. No excuses.
Which AAA games offer more content? Full MP and a big single player experience? Both being good to great. One mode? Have you even played the game?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

MbaYgzC.png

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I like this thread because it forces Gaf to choose on whether they hate Sonic or Halo more
The standards are in the gutter, my god.

Imagine saying this about a game delayed for a full year, released with like one mode, almost 0 updates since then, after almost a full year.

You're saying the game will be complete 3 years after its original release date basically...

Management sucks over there. No excuses.

Which AAA games offer more content? Full MP and a big single player experience? Both being good to great. One mode? Have you even played the game?

I wonder how many people in this thread bitching about Halo, just LOVE little $70 games like Rachet & Clank A Rift Apart even though it's reportedly only about 8hrs long, doesn't have any multiplayer or any co-op. Seems like a lot of those same people also can't wait to pay $70 for a 3rd iteration of TLOU with upgraded graphics even though this remake doesn't even include multiplayer at all.

But yeah, Halo Infinite is lacking content :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

I wonder how many people in this thread bitching about Halo, just LOVE little $70 games like Rachet & Clank A Rift Apart even though it's reportedly only about 8hrs long, doesn't have any multiplayer or any co-op. Seems like a lot of those same people also can't wait to pay $70 for a 3rd iteration of TLOU with upgraded graphics even though this remake doesn't even include multiplayer at all.

But yeah, Halo Infinite is lacking content :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:
The Game lack so much content you cant even select and change the colors of your character, or even worse, select a level and replay a mission

Chukhopops

-Latest Last game was 2020 and was amazing
-The only "bad games" and thats debatable are 2,8 and xiii trilogy
-The MMOS are not spinoffs
So you’re putting Final Fantasy XV in the « not bad games » of the Final Fantasy series? And then you have the absolute audacity of calling Halo Infinite broken at launch? Did you even play FFXV at launch?

I know we have to accept a wide range of opinions in a board that is used by young people but this is really testing the limits.

So you’re putting Final Fantasy XV in the « not bad games » of the Final Fantasy series? And then you have the absolute audacity of calling Halo Infinite broken at launch? Did you even play FFXV at launch?

I know we have to accept a wide range of opinions in a board that is used by young people but this is really testing the limits.
Yes, XV is not a bad game and I say too 2, 8 AND XIII and debatable bad games, because they are not, Just some people dont like then

And Yes i played XV maybe even before you, i played it days before the oficial release, without the Day 1 patch and the game was finished, sure a few unpolished bugs but the game have TON of content and was finished, and a year after got dlc to see the story of your other party members, not noctis

In Halo Infinite you cant even replay a mission, doing something so basic like change spartab color is imposible, and for a "LIVE SERVICE" for an arena MP having in a year less then 10 maps is a joke

Anyway its Funny how you asume my age Just because you don like an opinion, in fact assuming someone younger then you have by default a bad opinión is beyond stupid, maybe thats why boomers like you are not relevant in the gaming industry anymore, who give a fuck to an angry man with an old mentality who cant get with the times

Belthazar

The difference is that Halo couldn't even manage to follow the same template they had since the first entry... Sonic only fumbled on a very rocky transition to an entirely new perspective they didn't do that well with what the character was.

And to be fair, Sega didn't handle it that poorly, Sonic definitely wasn't in such a dire state by their 6th mainline game.

Chukhopops

Yes, XV is not a bad game and I say too 2, 8 AND XIII and debatable bad games, because they are not, Just some people dont like then

And Yes i played XV maybe even before you, i played it days before the oficial release, without the Day 1 patch and the game was finished, sure a few unpolished bugs but the game have TON of content and was finished, and a year after got dlc to see the story of your other party members, not noctis

In Halo Infinite you cant even replay a mission, doing something so basic like change spartab color is imposible, and for a "LIVE SERVICE" for an arena MP having in a year less then 10 maps is a joke

Anyway its Funny how you asume my age Just because you don like an opinion, in fact assuming someone younger then you have by default a bad opinión is beyond stupid, maybe thats why boomers like you are not relevant in the gaming industry anymore, who give a fuck to an angry man with an old mentality who cant get with the times
FFXV at launch you couldn’t even switch to a different character, someone would leave the party and come back blind without any explanation because they had cut out parts of the story to sell as DLC and it wasn’t out yet, there were missing cutscenes, you had a car that you couldn’t manually drive everywhere. Oh and you also couldn’t replay chapters. This is what is called broken at launch, not missing the ability to change a color or having few maps.

Also you argue that I assume your age and then call me a boomer? Looks like you were also launched without some expected features like self-awareness.

Swift_Star

Banned
FF:
-Outstanding music
Some people have really bad takes, and then there’s this.
Bookmarking this for when XVI releases.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Microsoft should have paid Bungie whatever it took, to take this over and continue and give them their independence at the same time. Maybe even just a reskin of Destiny? Master Chief burst onto the scene 20 years ago and was as iconic as any new 'mascot' could be. Whilst I found the TV show watchable, it didn't help with Halos' current declining issue. Microsoft has been killing HALO since 2/3, with incomplete and controversial titles. 343 has just continued to kick the dead horse. I get that sense, Sonic is on a bit of an upswing with the decent movies at least, will see after the new game.

Shubh_C63

OPs take is ahead of its time. He's right about Halo never getting its golden days back and franchise reserved for dads and cosplays in next 10 years perhaps.

Right now, Halo Infinite gameplay speaks for itself.
but story is just...uhh.

FFXV at launch you couldn’t even switch to a different character, someone would leave the party and come back blind without any explanation because they had cut out parts of the story to sell as DLC and it wasn’t out yet, there were missing cutscenes, you had a car that you couldn’t manually drive everywhere. Oh and you also couldn’t replay chapters. This is what is called broken at launch, not missing the ability to change a color or having few maps.

Also you argue that I assume your age and then call me a boomer? Looks like you were also launched without some expected features like self-awareness.
And you Just show how you lack any knowledge of game development, game dont "Cut" content to sell it later, there is a budget, pipeline And a separate team alocated to that, to make things from scratch.

But for you aparently sides storys and expantions are Cut content? OK boomer

you should add to the list this games with Cut content too

Mass Effect
Zelda BOTW
KH3
Dark Souls
Xenoblade
Gears 5

And all the games including ffxv with all the content you claim are "Finished" by the time halo infinite Finish his season2 with barebones content, only 1 map added in a year for 4vs4 modes, what a joke

I know for a boomer like you must be Hard to fit with the times, and undersand them because aparently comparing the side storys DLC of a single player game to a GAAS like Halo and expecting to be the same is Just sad.

Halo is a game Who need constant content, to have gamers playing it and selling them stuff, its not so Hard to undersand, if they keep months with no content, no money, even at your age im sure you can undersand that
Q0iI8F3.jpg

Otre

Banned
I have not seen Halo Personas, a forum for marrying a halo character or build your own halo, do not steal so no. For halo to be the new sonic it needs a greater level of insanity if it wants to achieve those levels of fanatic degeneracy that is key to the sonic identity.

Also, Halo needs way more shittier games. Say what you will about 4 & 5 but they are mediocre at worst. Infinite, while incomplete, its still pretty good.

Sonic went to shit for more than a decade since Sonic and Knuckles release in 1994 on the genesis. Wasnt until 2010's Colors and 2011's Generations that they managed a 7/10. Mania being the only great game because it was not developed by modern Sonic Team. Yes, Adventure series is shit no matter how much the children inside you 'reeees' that its good.

Last edited:
The difference is that Halo couldn't even manage to follow the same template they had since the first entry... Sonic only fumbled on a very rocky transition to an entirely new perspective they didn't do that well with what the character was.

And to be fair, Sega didn't handle it that poorly, Sonic definitely wasn't in such a dire state by their 6th mainline game.
Well, sixth mainline game, would that be considered Heroes? If we don't count Shadow (though it may as well be mainline), then we go to 06...

So, the seventh mainline game, then.

(Of course, this is not taking into consideration the infamous Sonic Xtreme debacle)

Batiman

Banned
And you Just show how you lack any knowledge of game development, game dont "Cut" content to sell it later, there is a budget, pipeline And a separate team alocated to that, to make things from scratch.

But for you aparently sides storys and expantions are Cut content? OK boomer

you should add to the list this games with Cut content too

Mass Effect
Zelda BOTW
KH3
Dark Souls
Xenoblade
Gears 5

And all the games including ffxv with all the content you claim are "Finished" by the time halo infinite Finish his season2 with barebones content, only 1 map added in a year for 4vs4 modes, what a joke

I know for a boomer like you must be Hard to fit with the times, and undersand them because aparently comparing the side storys DLC of a single player game to a GAAS like Halo and expecting to be the same is Just sad.

Halo is a game Who need constant content, to have gamers playing it and selling them stuff, its not so Hard to undersand, if they keep months with no content, no money, even at your age im sure you can undersand that
Q0iI8F3.jpg
Dude who says “ok boomer”?

Cringe as fuck

Ozriel

M$FT
The sheer determination and desperation to pitch Halo Infinite as a bad game will never not be funny.

Single player reviewed extremely well and scooped up a decent number of GOTY awards. But you wouldn’t think it to see the vitriol here.

The state of the MP is shocking, with respect to content. But that can be fixed.

Can’t remember when last a Sonic game reviewed that well, or got into GOTY conversation.

For many of us Xbox brand is the sucesor of Sega, how many games moved from the dreamcast to the Original Xbox, but is time to acept the truth, not only games moved, the Sega DNA fail move with it

HALO IS THE NEW SONIC

-People now look to the ip for the memes and make fun of the brand ip, not because are good games and the Devs know it
-The Devs and the company ALWAYS says the next game is going to be the game who bring back the old days of glory
-Broken games all the time, but its OK, the next 1 is coming
-when the next game arrive it make sure to ignore the past games like they dont really happen, ALWAYS a soft reboot
-Stupid cinematic adaptations content who dont care the source material
-if You want to experience something decent about the story, You need to read a cómic or a book, the games dont give that

And here are a few examples, HALO is not coming back, its Just going to continue and become a dad hobby to cosplay it and remember the good old days with a few memes here and there, but its time to move out, halo ended with reach, and if You care about story its OK too, 343 dont give a fuck either

Halo 5 dont give a fuck about what happen in 4 and have many plotholes like what happen to the villian in 4, or master chieff evolution, and and ignore spartan ops, the halo campaign who was the sequel to 4

And halo infinite ignore 5 and wars 2, lets not start with all the plot holes

Its time to move on
Wouldnt go as far as saying infinte was the new sonic, sure infinte is miles behind then it should be, but as much as i hate 343 they did good with gameplay, feels alot more like reach then god awful 4 and 5, i still believe infinte will bring players back like MCC did but god its atleast 3 years away before that happens

I tell you time and time again. 343i will never be able to regain the fame Bungie had with the Halo franchise because they are not even a 1/3 of what balance used to be in their glory days. A lot of the talent stayed at Bungie and a few more went to other places/studios/or market segments. 343i can only dream of fitting in the same shoes as old Bungie and we have to accept the reality of it.

I love Halo but if it's "this" we'll keep getting from them, then I don't think is worth running the IP on the ground. Better to be forgotten than overstaying it's welcome and become a meme of a franchise.

I tell you time and time again. 343i will never be able to regain the fame Bungie had with the Halo franchise because they are not even a 1/3 of what balance used to be in their glory days. A lot of the talent stayed at Bungie and a few more went to other places/studios/or market segments. 343i can only dream of fitting in the same shoes as old Bungie and we have to accept the reality of it.

I love Halo but if it's "this" we'll keep getting from them, then I don't think is worth running the IP on the ground. Better to be forgotten than overstaying it's welcome and become a meme of a franchise.
The problem with halo like alot of western ip of the time, is they have the stupid idea of making everything a TRILOGY, halo, gears, ass creed, you name it, then have a even stupid idea, if star wars have an expanded universe, we can have 1 too, and make tons of stupid cómic, books and TV shorts the regular People dont care

Now we have a stupid franchise stuck with so many useless plotholes, who alredy overstayed his welcome, and instead of making something New, the managers cant because they are stupid

What halo need is leave 343 to other competent devs, and every halo need to be his own game and universe, like final fantasy, how many times are we going to fight the same fucking aliens, in the same age, how many times we defeated the same fucking covenant

Its like the pokemon anime, People from the 90s give up because it was the same ALL the time, never really change and got tired of Ash loosing ALL the time, why waste your time if really nothing happens

Last edited:
Top Bottom