• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

S1kkZ

wait, so whats ith the cutscenes in h2: remastered? cg or ingame? looks way too good for ingame material.

Orayn

So, the H3 and 4 campaigns use all the vanilla assets but are rendered at 1080p (and targeting 60fps) ?

Pull a bundle come November and I'll probably get myself a Halo box lol.

I could see them putting in some better quality assets if they already had them on-hand, otherwise yeah I'm guessing that framerate and rendering resolution are the only major upgrades for 3 and 4. Would be pleasantly surprised if they went out of their way to do more.

Gowans

Man I wish there was more info in the OP.

Some questions:

Collection includes
Halo CE + MP (No Anniversary Improvements?) + PC Maps
Halo 2 + Multi (with Anniversary style update for SP & MP)
Halo 3 + MP (no updates, Forge?)
Halo 4 + MP (Spartan Ops? Forge?)
+ Halo 5 Beta
+ Halo Nightfall TV Series

All games:
Run in 1080p 60fps
Use Dedicated Servers
Original Bugs/Glitches Kept

MP acts as 4 separate games?
All maps open to Halo 2 Multi mode?
Co-op for all games?

Falagard

Just taking a break to catch up on the news, but learning the glitches are in makes me a lot less sad I'll miss out on it. As Frankie said, there was no easy way out of it, but I was on the "damned if we don't" side of things.

When they say glitches, they don't mean any of the map modding that would allow the host to mess with auto-aim and player speed. I don't really have a problem with BxR and super jumping, as they rarely affected my enjoyment of the game.

broony

Well done Frank and 343. I thought there was no way it would be the original halo 2 multiplayer. I was expecting an anniversary type version in a newer engine. You have made a lot of halo fans happy. May pick an xbone this year then.

Any word on number of coop players in h2?

Did I read it right that halo 1 mp is in there too? As in the real halo 1 MP?

GavinGT

Banned
With all the talk about bugs being intact, what about the Halo 1 reload bug? You know, the one that gives you infinite ammo. That shit would ruin the game online.

Of course, I wouldn't complain if I could still get on top of Blood Gulch.

Obscured

So to clarify, all Halo 2 MP maps have reworked graphics, plus there are 6 remained maps running in a native Xbox One engine?

Please tell me not only 6 maps have updated graphics and the rest are relegated to 2004 mode...

This is from the IGN article http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/e3-2014-halo-the-master-chief-collection-halo-5-beta-announced-for-xbox-one

And yet there’s more: on top of the complete multiplayer complement, Halo 2 Anniversary will also sport six “reimagined” Halo 2 maps running on native Xbox One technology, each designed by Halo 2 multiplayer lead designer and current Certain Affinity boss Max Hoberman. Whether or not this is a test bed for Halo 5’s brand-new engine remains to be seen, but these will be alternate takes on half a dozen Halo 2 maps. I saw a screenshot of Ascension, though 343 wouldn’t yet say how it will differ from its 2004 form. To clarify, these will not replace their original Halo 2 incarnations; they exist in addition to them.

So it sounds like everything will get somewhat of a graphics bump, but we obviously won't know how much until we see some more footage, though the reveal today started with a look at the old vs new.

Falagard

So to clarify, all Halo 2 MP maps have reworked graphics, plus there are 6 remained maps running in a native Xbox One engine?

Please tell me not only 6 maps have updated graphics and the rest are relegated to 2004 mode...

Only 6 maps have updated graphics, and I believe they can also be played in their original graphical form as well, since some of the screenshots showed Ascension in its classic mode.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

I fully understand. But you made the right choice. It is great as it is. You shouldn't have touched a thing. Well done!

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
I would've preferred Halo 2 anniversary released as a standalone title. Having it bundled with other games means I have to pay $60 for things I don't want (Halo 3, Halo 4, yuck) and it's MP will be fragmented/lower player base which means that selling point goes out the window.

The fact that they're only remaking 6 Halo 2 maps shows me they don't really care about it and have no faith in truly remaking it's online multiplayer component.

Shame.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

When people ask you to keep the glitches in, they're basically asking you to fuck over a bunch of players just so they can mess about. I don't think listening to such short-sighted people is a good move myself.

Which takes priority? Making sure that you can't superjump out the map with the Oddball for an easy victory, or allowing players to do so, just because occasionally some of them will want to get outside the map in a custom game?

It's a no-brainer, really.

BTM

I would've preferred Halo 2 anniversary released as a standalone title. Having it bundled with other games means I have to pay $60 for things I don't want (Halo 3, Halo 4, yuck) and it's MP will be fragmented/lower player base which means that selling point goes out the window.

The fact that they're only remaking 6 Halo 2 maps shows me they don't really care about it and have no faith in truly remaking it's online multiplayer component.

Shame.

Well, it's hard to please everyone

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
oh wait

does it have the launch melee system for halo 2 or the really bad patched melee system (where both people die)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only 6 maps have updated graphics, and I believe they can also be played in their original graphical form as well, since some of the screenshots showed Ascension in its classic mode.

I thought during the conference they said that you can switch between the new graphics and 'classic' at any time on any level?

This quote

And yet there’s more: on top of the complete multiplayer complement, Halo 2 Anniversary will also sport six “reimagined” Halo 2 maps running on native Xbox One technology, each designed by Halo 2 multiplayer lead designer and current Certain Affinity boss Max Hoberman. Whether or not this is a test bed for Halo 5’s brand-new engine remains to be seen, but these will be alternate takes on half a dozen Halo 2 maps. I saw a screenshot of Ascension, though 343 wouldn’t yet say how it will differ from its 2004 form. To clarify, these will not replace their original Halo 2 incarnations; they exist in addition to them.

says that 6 of the Halo 2 maps are 'reimagined' - that suggests to me that they have also been redesigned slightly (which is why it has 'designed by H2 MP lead designer Max Hoberman'.

So I expect all levels to have new graphics, but there will be 6 'new' maps on top of the Halo 2 maps that are tweaked versions of classic Halo 2 MP maps.

Oozer3993

Broken-ass abusive button glitches put in to please the type of player that ruins the fun for others.

Gonna avoid Halo 2 MP.

Ditto. I'm very unhappy with the decision to keep them in the game. I'll be sticking to 3/4 and the campaigns.

When people ask you to keep the glitches in, they're basically asking you to fuck over a bunch of players just so they can mess about. I don't think listening to such short-sighted people is a good move myself.

Which takes priority? Making sure that you can't superjump out the map with the Oddball for an easy victory, or allowing players to do so, just because occasionally some of them will want to get outside the map in a custom game?

Exactly. Really sad about that.

E92 M3

I wonder how beautiful Delta Halo looks now with the updated graphics.

My favorite level from the game - hopefully it's majestic. Also, we better get to go on a new Halo in the 5th version. I miss the natural beauty of the environment.

Just taking a break to catch up on the news, but learning the glitches are in makes me a lot less sad I'll miss out on it. As Frankie said, there was no easy way out of it, but I was on the "damned if we don't" side of things.

oh, the glitches are in? *sigh* people are excited but they'll cry when they get sliced from a guy cheating across the map.

93656b46_dis-gon-b-gud.gif

DJ Gunner

So, the more I think about it, the more I'm okay with having to possibly choose between H1-3 in a Team Slayer playlist- but we aren't going to be forced to fight H4 players in the voting, are we? The MP hopper is only going to be across the three earlier titles, right?

fucking lol

the entire collective mlg community would drop shits from a great height on this package if you removed the game enhancing glitches known as BXR , BXB, and doubleshot from our beloved Halo 2.

iirc, superbouncing was a flaw in the geometry of the maps themselves, and was not fixable

complaining about bxb/bxr/etc is like complaining about tricks in fighters like animation cancelling that became full fledged features in later titles

Woorloog

Banned
The glitch issue wouldn't be an issue if the glitches were confined to custom games. Fix them for MM, no issue. Glitchers can play customs.

E92 M3

Well done Frank and 343. I thought there was no way it would be the original halo 2 multiplayer. I was expecting an anniversary type version in a newer engine. You have made a lot of halo fans happy. May pick an xbone this year then.

Any word on number of coop players in h2?

Did I read it right that halo 1 mp is in there too? As in the real halo 1 MP?

Yep! Real Halo 1 MP! Crazy right? Best value in gaming this package is.

Chitown B

Shame.

LOL what? They didn't re-do all HCE maps either, and they used the Reach engine. This is a great thing for H2. And you can play ALL maps in MP, which is something that was taken away when XBL original went down.

Bsigg12

Man I wish there was more info in the OP.

Some questions:

Collection includes
Halo CE + MP (No Anniversary Improvements?) + PC Maps
Halo 2 + Multi (with Anniversary style update for SP & MP)
Halo 3 + MP (no updates, Forge?)
Halo 4 + MP (Spartan Ops? Forge?)
+ Halo 5 Beta
+ Halo Nightfall TV Series

All games:
Run in 1080p 60fps
Use Dedicated Servers
Original Bugs/Glitches Kept

MP acts as 4 separate games?
All maps open to Halo 2 Multi mode?
Co-op for all games?

They're including CEA as well as original CE engine and maps for multiplayer. No word on Forge for 3 or 4. Online coop confirmed by Frankie.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I thought during the conference they said that you can switch between the new graphics and 'classic' at any time on any level?

This quote

says that 6 of the Halo 2 maps are 'reimagined' - that suggests to me that they have also been redesigned slightly (which is why it has 'designed by H2 MP lead designer Max Hoberman'.

So I expect all levels to have new graphics, but there will be 6 'new' maps on top of the Halo 2 maps that are tweaked versions of classic Halo 2 MP maps.

that's how i see it

all Halo 2 maps have both new and old look

but there's 6 SPECIAL remade Halo 2 maps probably done in H5 engine

Cse

Banned
4 player split screen really needs to be included, but since all games are 1080p/60 FPS, I'm worried that it won't be.

Split screen play is part of Halo's DNA, and I would be pretty upset if it's not an option.

Do we have any information on this?

Top Bottom