• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

Vinc

Hey, look. Another thread complaining about resolution. I should just make a "Resolution Complaint Thread" so I don't have to read 10 pages about graphical complaints on EVERY game thread. xD

I'm vaguely joking. Graphics are important to a lot of people. It does get a bit silly sometimes though.

I really don't understand how it's silly for this particular game though, it's a remaster... lots of people will be double dipping, seems like the improved IQ is the biggest draw, no?

810p is not an upgrade worth 60 bucks to me...

Sad to see people are arguing about resolution here. I'm expecting 1080p native & I'll be disappointed if it's not, but I'm buying it anyway. The fact that it's getting upped to 60 FPS is good enough for me, man. Gameplay is king.
Long live the king. Come back to me, Halo.
60fps and without jaggies and I'll be on cloud nine. Or... uh, Delta Halo even.

But that's why I'd prefer 1080p, because there wouldn't be those jaggies you get from up-scaling. But 900p (or some other weirdo resolution) with solid AA magic or other sleight of hand to where I can't tell a real difference is also great. Whatever makes for a nice, clean image.

And yeah, I doubt I'll ever use that instant switching of engines more than once.

SpartanN92

Banned
I really don't understand how it's silly for this particular game though, it's a remaster... lots of people will be double dipping, seems like the improved IQ is the biggest draw, no?

Are you forgetting the rest of the games in the package?

Vinc

Are you forgetting the rest of the games in the package?

Nope. None of them are guaranteed to hit the target, though they are "confident". Either way, I want to play every Halo game back to back at a constant 60 fps with very clean IQ at 1080p. If this collection provides that, I'll be reaaalllyyy happy with it. I thought they promised that at E3, so that quote obviously worries me.

Am_I_Evil

here's my confusion....hasn't this been constantly touted by them to have the whole package running at 1080p/60? is this no longer confirmed?

i would assume that's where most people's frustration lies...why constantly say 1080p/60 if it wasn't already locked in to that point?

I'm fine with a developed for XB1 remaster running at 900p60 tbh. But you better be able to tell the difference between that and the ports.

Katsa

Banned
For me, personally, the resolution and framerate are the biggest reasons why I want to buy these again at full price. I still own all of the original games, including Anniversary. I'm also more of a campaign guy, even though I LOVE Halo 1, 2 and 3's MP. Resolution and framerate are important things to me. Not THE most important thing for every game ever, but important enough that they are the main deciding factor in me re-buying old games at full price. It's the whole point of the remaster for me.

I really hope they make it to 1080/60, otherwise I'll reconsider my purchase.

This.

I'm back on the fence about this game now, I was seriously thinking 1080p/60 without a doubt. Its a last-gen game, its not like its a brand new engine and game. Again, well see the end product.... hope its good!

Here is the original quote which was already posted in this thread
Crucially, all four games run at 60 frames per second. But 343 still isn't sure if it'll get all four games to output at 1080p resolution. It's looking good for Halo 1, 3 and 4, but Halo 2 is the sticking point, which I find slightly bizarre.

"We're heading for 1080p," Ries says. "That's what we want to do, but I can't commit to that right now.

"Some of the levels in Halo 4 are already running at 1080p. I'm confident some of the games will get there. I'm not confident in all of them."

"The only open question right now is Halo 2 Anniversary mode," O'Connor adds, "because we have the two frame buffers, and we're doing Xbox One level of graphics. The idea is we try and get it to 1080p but we may have to sacrifice the resolution on that to have that mode. Our target is to get to 1080p."

jem0208

I think the fact that we're getting all the original multiplayers at 60 FPS, 1080 p on dedicated servers is really what's worth the 60 bucks.

Then don't buy it.

Vinc

I think the fact that we're getting all the original multiplayers at 60 FPS, 1080 p on dedicated servers is really what's worth the 60 bucks.

That's also a pretty good thing about it yes, but as I said I'm more of a campaign guy, so it's not as important to me.

Then don't buy it.

I probably won't at 60 bucks if it's the case (which gets some people upset for some reason), but I asked here so I could find out.

HTupolev

ahhh.... Seems like many people were confused on that:

http://www.bungie.net/en-US/Forum/Post?id=539061

I was fine with the view for H1-3 though.
Yes. The deleted user in that thread clearly knew what's what, at least. The person claiming that the deleted user was wrong was (based on numbers in the game's configuration) making claims that clearly disagreed with the user's own observations.
Although if the values do differ between SP and MP, that makes me wonder... I'm tempted to go hook up my Xbox to my 360 in LAN later to try that out.

It's interesting to see people explicitly spell out that they were measuring FoV using that technique back in 2007, though.

DoomGyver

I went out and bought an x one today in anticipation of this. Xbox kinect/forza bundle and a copy of cod ghosts for $429. Then I got a 12 month card for $30 and Titanfall for $45.

I think I did pretty good, and I cannot wait for H2 anniversary.

Katsa

Banned
I went out and bought an x one today in anticipation of this. Xbox kinect/forza bundle and a copy of cod ghosts for $429. Then I got a 12 month card for $30 and Titanfall for $45.

Not bad.... where was this? If you don't mind me asking....

DoomGyver

Not bad.... where was this? If you don't mind me asking....

Best Buy, BB has a deal this week where you can buy a $499 kinect/forza bundle and receive a free copy of ghosts, and you have the option to buy a 12 month gold card for $30 (as long as the card is on the same transaction as the console).

I then price matched Sam's Clubs price of 429.99. So YMMV depending on how awesome your BB is.

Sotha_Sil

Halo 2 and Halo 3 at 60fps on dedicated servers is all you have to say to convince me. That old ranking system was the best I've ever played on a console before. Hopefully most people stick with H2 and H3 MP so the lobbies are full.

Have they said anything about rankings for H1? It's my understanding that they are keeping H2, H3, and H4 systems exactly the same, but the original never had online MP, and therefore no ranking system.

Heretic

60fps yes. I expect the game currently runs at 900p, but they will try hard to get it to 1080p according to Frankie.

Woah woah woah! When was this said?

Edit: Never mind. You were talking out of your ass. I just want to play all of them Halos on one console *bites lip*

Filaipus

Banned
People are seriously complaining about a 4 games in 1 package? After all they promised? It seems a sure buy for every Halo fan with an Xbox One, even if some of the games are 900p instead of 1080p (people care about resolution too much).

defghik

This. I'd buy it if H:CE and H2 ran at their original resolution and framerate, I just want to be able to play multiplayer on XBL. Having all the campaigns is just a bonus to me.

People are seriously complaining about a 4 games in 1 package? After all they promised? It seems a sure buy for every Halo fan with an Xbox One, even if some of the games are 900p instead of 1080p (people care about resolution too much).

THIS

We still don't know the final resolution but it seems clear they're aiming for 1080p across all ports.

This is a time for the halo community to finally celebrate not argue about pixel count.

Vinc

Personally I'm not complaining, but yeah I'd be disappointed enough to reconsider my purchase. We're all looking for different things with this package. For me, considering I still own all of the original games and their PC versions, the lack of an amazing IQ bump would be enough for me to reconsider. There's also part of me that feels like they were being misleading (I could be wrong) since I was under the impression that they said all of them would be rendered at 1080/60. In any case, this collection is absolutely fantastic for a BUNCH of other reasons too, I recognize that, it's just that in my situation, those assets may not be worth the $70 that this game costs in Canada, considering all of the other games that will hurt my wallet around that time :(

Majanew

Banned

1080p on 1080p displays looks best -- nothing wrong with wanting it. But I'll take a drop in resolution if it means 343i can get some AA to fix the bad aliasing the game had at E3. IQ isn't just resolution, as seen in games like FM5.

FireFly

Personally I'm not complaining, but yeah I'd be disappointed enough to reconsider my purchase. We're all looking for different things with this package. For me, considering I still own all of the original games and their PC versions, the lack of an amazing IQ bump would be enough for me to reconsider. There's also part of me that feels like they were being misleading (I could be wrong) since I was under the impression that they said all of them would be rendered at 1080/60. In any case, this collection is absolutely fantastic for a BUNCH of other reasons too, I recognize that, it's just that in my situation, those assets may not be worth the $70 that this game costs in Canada, considering all of the other games that will hurt my wallet around that time :(
The multiplayer is 1080/60. The singleplayer remastered version of Halo 2 may only be 900p.

Why does the IQ bump have to come in the form of 1920x1080 pixels? Why can it not have less pixels but better assets? If you care about IQ, surely you care about the finished product, not just a number in isolation.

Discusguy

What the hell! I don't complain about resolution but if Halo 2 isn't 1080P60fps I'll really reconsider getting this day one. No one wants 2 frame buffers on the fly if it's going to affect H2A in that way.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Thats a damn good deal.

Guys you're fighting over resolutions again.

Homer-Walks-Into-Bar-and-Leaves.gif

Vinc

The multiplayer is 1080/60. The singleplayer remastered version of Halo 2 may only be 900p.

Why does the IQ bump have to come in the form of 1920x1080 pixels? Why can it not have less pixels but better assets? If you care about IQ, surely you care about the finished product, not just a number in isolation.

Oh for sure, if the game looks amazing I'll get it. It's just that usually non-native res comes with a noticeable impact on IQ for me. If this game gets away with it, I'll get it. Of course it's about the finished product and what it looks like to my eyes.

In any case, I love Halo and I hope this turns out great. It sounds promising.

We will have cinematic pixel counts.

The man has spoken.

no idea what that means.

It might mean that the pixel count will match what a 1080p movie has.

1080p is traditionally known as 1920x1080 but in reality, most blurays are more like 1920x800 because of the aspect ratio (black bars).

1920x1080=2073600
1920x800 =1536000

He's probably using buzzwords to say that Halo 2 will have a pixel count comparable to a movie bluray, but stretched to a full 16:9 screen, meaning that it will actually miss the 1080p mark by around 16%. This matches the pixel count someone did of what was shown at E3, right?

A similar example of this would be Ryse Son of Rome which runs close to a "cinematic pixel count," also known as "definitely not 1080p", at 1600x900, upscaled. (Where is that GIF someone made of the part of the trailer that said ALL 1080p?)

That's my interpretation, but I'd be happy if Stinkles could clarify
and tell me how wrong I am, hopefully

For reference, here is a comparable pixel count between 1080p and my interpretation of a "cinematic pixel count":

Syrus

Banned
Well I'm down for 1 3 n 4 and multiplayer being 1080p. I'd like H2 too but it won't result in me not buying ifnits less. Slightly upsetting but wtv

Vire

and they are improved. what else you got?
I don't see a problem in discussing resolution for a remastered game. It's probably the most important improvement aside from framerate.

900p would be pretty disappointing.

1080p 60fps or bust.

Chitown B

I don't see a problem in discussing resolution for a remastered game. It's probably the most important improvement aside from framerate.

900p would be pretty disappointing.

1080p 60fps or bust.

how is pixel count the most important improvement? How about assets and look of the game? That would be THE most important thing to me. Not spending time I could be enjoying the game spent counting pixels

El_Chino

To be fair, isn't that the whole fucking point of a remaster? For improved graphics?
Graphics doesn't always equal resolution*. That said Halo 2: Anniversary is already seeing a massive boost in it's original 480p resolution lol. So going from 480p to 900p or 1080p is massive along with completely new renders and what not.

Vire

how is pixel count the most important improvement? How about assets and look of the game? That would be THE most important thing to me. Not spending time I could be enjoying the game spent counting pixels
If that Elite model is their definition of improved assets, I rather stick with what Bungie gave us.

After playing Watch Dogs at 900p, it's incredibly noticeable to me in difference.

Chitown B

and I'm not even talking only Halo. I could set a game on my HTPC to 900p, and then 1080p. And sit on my couch with my 50" plasma 9 feet away - and take a picture of both versions. I can almost categorically say that no one could tell the difference. It doesn't matter.

HTupolev

and I'm not even talking only Halo. I could set a game on my HTPC to 900p, and then 1080p. And sit on my couch with my 50" plasma 9 feet away - and take a picture of both versions. I can almost categorically say that no one could tell the difference. It doesn't matter.
"Nobody could distinguish between a crappy, static offscreen picture!"

Chitown B

If that Elite model is their definition of improved assets, I rather stick with what Bungie gave us.

After playing Watch Dogs at 900p, it's incredibly noticeable to me in difference.

4627ebd931b7fa3be211c3853a07cfc1.jpg

81b5b51c9b37625fed984a55bb816f46.jpg

You're telling me even at this LOW RES the new one doesn't look markedly better?

Top Bottom