• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

FyreWulff

I think 98% of the Xbox One userbase have a 1080p TV.

And if Microsoft had their way, 100% of the One userbase would have an internet connection. Still wouldn't have meant that 100% of the population has an internet connection.

It's almost like most of the owners of the consoles currently tend to be hardcore purchasers that tend to buy hardware at the outset.

Still doesn't change the fact that the general public install base that I was referring to are majority 720p television sets. ESPN, a large driver of HD set purchases, still only broadcasts in 720p.

Jezehbell

oh-look-its-this-thread-again.jpg

PnCIa

900p fits into the ESRAM nicely

Actually that still remains 720p for HD sets.
Yes, they have to work around shity tech descisions. But it appears that 1080 is also doable on the XBone, see Forza.
Are you aware that the majority of flat panel displays in consumer households are 1080 displays? Especially gamers.

Daft Bird

Hmmm... (the following quote is in the post above yours but you must've missed it)

O'Connor is Frank O'Connor, franchise development director at 343. I think he has knowledge of the actual resolution.
The moment that the big hubbub about resolution in this thread was when a junior said he expected it was at 900p, he provided no evidence. Frank's statement is basically a sidestep from giving a reply to the 1080p question. That is kinda weak but doesn't warrant needless speculation.
Have faith in 343 :)

I'm disappointed that Halo 3 won't be getting a graphical overhaul like the first 2 games. I can understand Halo 4 not getting it, because it still looks awesome, but 3 looks super dated now, i would have loved to have gone back through that campaign with newer graphics.

But i doubt i'll care too much when i have that sweet, sweet 1080p 60fps goodness.

PnCIa

And if Microsoft had their way, 100% of the One userbase would have an internet connection. Still wouldn't have meant that 100% of the population has an internet connection.

It's almost like most of the owners of the consoles currently tend to be hardcore purchasers that tend to buy hardware at the outset.

Still doesn't change the fact that the general public install base that I was referring to are majority 720p television sets. ESPN, a large driver of HD set purchases, still only broadcasts in 720p.
They broadcast in 720p because they are going for the lowest common denominator. And because most people dont give a fuck anyway as long as there is a tiny HD logo in the corner of their screen.
There are still people with CRTs around...why not just stay at 480 then?
Your argument is flawed because there is a standard by now (1080) and it would be a good thing if it would be adhered to.

FyreWulff

Are you aware that the majority of flat panel displays in consumer households are 1080 displays?

Currently sold YoY, but not by adoption rate. There's still a bunch of tube and projection and previous flatscreen HDTVs sold and sitting in homes which are 720p or 1080i. And a 720p image has more unique lines (720) per screen refresh than 1080i (540) meaning you can just about get 1080i for 'free' out of a 720p render target.

There are still people with CRTs around...why not just stay at 480 then?

They're much smaller base and HD content scales down to them anyway. All the TV stations switched to HD long ago, so tube TVs just have black bars when watching them. The PS4 and Xbone do both support 480p.

They broadcast in 720p because they are going for the lowest common denominator.

This is my entire point.. the lowest common denominator = the most adopted TV resolution.

PnCIa

Currently sold YoY, but not by adoption rate. There's still a bunch of tube and projection and previous flatscreen HDTVs sold and sitting in homes which are 720p or 1080i. And a 720p image has more unique lines (720) per screen refresh than 1080i (540) meaning you can just about get 1080i for 'free' out of a 720p render target.

They're much smaller base and HD content scales down to them anyway. All the TV stations switched to HD long ago, so tube TVs just have black bars when watching them. The PS4 and Xbone do both support 480p.

This is my entire point.. the lowest common denominator = the most adopted TV resolution.
Yes you can support a lot of devices when you go for 720 or 480. Both consoles can downsample from 1080 to 720 for example though. Downsampling has a positive effect on your iq while upscaling destroys your picture.
If you go for 1080 you give the majority the best quality possible and the consoles can downscale to all other resolutions.
Btw...1080i is for broadcasting and does not matter for gaming, and we are talking about gaming afterall.

Who cares about the amount of P's when we will be able to play at 60 fps on dedicated servers!!!!!!!

Would people be upset if they barred party chat in ranked play lists so their can be that sense of community and communication returning once again? I know I'll do my part as I want to hear that glorious shit talking in the post game lobby again.

I would be. I think it's probably the wrong way to "fix" the "problem". Perhaps adding an in-game way to switch from party- to game-chat would be beneficial?

Varg

Banned
Would people be upset if they barred party chat in ranked play lists so their can be that sense of community and communication returning once again? I know I'll do my part as I want to hear that glorious shit talking in the post game lobby again.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I don't see why the two engines need to run at the same time, just make the H2A and H2 campaigns seperate options like the rest, the switching is a gimmick, especially poor choice if it means lower resolution

Again an opinion. And its not a poor choice in the eyes of many. Stop stating everything as fact people.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Man, I hope there's no party chat.

For years I've been talking about proximity chat in Halo being so much a part of the experience.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I don't see why the two engines need to run at the same time, just make the H2A and H2 campaigns seperate options like the rest, the switching is a gimmick, especially poor choice if it means lower resolution

I can understand this point of view. I'm unlikely to play using original graphics, but the whole thing is an Anniversary package, it is what it is.

Personally, I'd go for a 900p switching setup and a non switching 1080p one were it viable and were I given the choice. No idea if it's that simple. Would be amazing for people to lose their shit over, comparing minute differences in image quality to vindicate their point in arguments later / undermine other people's points in arguments later.

Plasma

Banned

This, I think I used that switching thing in Halo CEA a few times on the first level and once on the Library.

x-Lundz-x

For years I've been talking about proximity chat in Halo being so much a part of the experience.

I have 0 interest in listening to other people on the internet who are not my friends. No offense.

If there are specific lobbies or whatever where party chat is disabled I'm totally fine with that, you guys have fun. But to have it off by default hell naw.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have 0 interest in listening to other people on the internet who are not my friends. No offense.

If there are specific lobbies or whatever where party chat is disabled I'm totally fine with that, you guys have fun. But to have it off by default hell naw.

No offence taken but It's not really about that, you'd still be playing with friends, you'd still talk to them.

Just that in games, you'd hear other players as you got close to them, you have to keep quiet when approaching a bomb plant / flag capture in case you're heard. You can say loudly so hopefully the other team hear "I'm going to go through the teleporter with the flag!" then do something different.

Other people like the post game zings but I'm not so fussed about that.

Party chat's great for being social and I use it all the time, I think it's a good feature. Not having it on Halo MCC would make for a better online Halo experience. It might mean more people would play it too. :)

dwells

I really don't understand how it's silly for this particular game though, it's a remaster... lots of people will be double dipping, seems like the improved IQ is the biggest draw, no?

Exactly - isn't the major selling point of an HD remake supposed to be the visuals?

And double dipping is actually under selling it. For example, I own Halo PC, Halo 1, Halo Anniversary - so that's quadruple dipping for H1. For Halo 2, I own Halo 2 and Halo 2 Vista (despite how poorly ported and supported it was), so that's a triple-dip. And yet the screenshots released of H2 multiplayer on Xbox One look markedly worse that Halo 2 Vista did in 2007.

We will have cinematic pixel counts.

People are reading too much into this. Frankie is just being Frankie and taunting the community. It's a poke at "cinematic" being buzzword lately and means nothing in the context of H2A.

They already promised the whole package would run at 1080p/60 on stage, that's why a lot of people are already pissed off.

Yep. I think a lot of us are already fed up with Microsoft lately, and it's just another example of over-promise, under-deliver.

I think forced game chat for ranked playlists should be the way to go. Both for the proximity/lobby chat with enemies and so teams will have to communicate. Sending out a "spy" in Big Team Battle in H2 to listen to the other team's plans is just part of the experience!

Madness

I'm disappointed that Halo 3 won't be getting a graphical overhaul like the first 2 games. I can understand Halo 4 not getting it, because it still looks awesome, but 3 looks super dated now, i would have loved to have gone back through that campaign with newer graphics.

But i doubt i'll care too much when i have that sweet, sweet 1080p 60fps goodness.

It's not the ten year anniversary of Halo 3, and like Frank said, it still looks good enough that only a resolution boost and frame rate are warranted. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making things better, but 343 needs to draw a line in the sand. They're not going to remake two games with full new cinematic and sounds and then keep it at a singular price point too. Maybe in 3+ years when it's actually the ten year anniversary for Halo 3.

I would like to see the split screen field of view be given instead of the current wide-screen FoV.

Striker

Curious how Halo 1's MP will use voice chat. Halo 3 had proximity chat only in social games. Playing Halo 2's Assault and Flag games with proximity chat was fun times.

dwells

So any and all references to 1080p seem to be removed from official pages. Instead, check this out:

including the re-mastered Halo 2: Anniversary, all at Xbox One visual fidelity

"Xbox One visual fidelity." That's some impressive say-nothing soft wording right there.

FyreWulff

Curious how Halo 1's MP will use voice chat. Halo 3 had proximity chat only in social games. Playing Halo 2's Assault and Flag games with proximity chat was fun times.

Will probably be teamchat only, the issue would be making the Halo 1 engine able to emit voice chat from the location of the bipeds. Easier to just check if player is team then send chat

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So any and all references to 1080p seem to be removed from official pages. Instead, check this out:

"Xbox One visual fidelity." That's some impressive say-nothing soft wording right there.

There it is! The rallying call!

Have you got it in you, guys? Can you build up enough energy to be truly outraged? Extra kudos if you never had any intention of buying the game and still manage it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Well fuck.

What a disappointment.

There it is! The rallying call!

Have you got it in you, guys? Can you build up enough energy to be truly outraged? Extra kudos if you never had any intention of buying the game and still manage it.

Being dissatisfied with a sub-par offering and angry at being lied to regardless of intention of purchase is still less stupid than being happy/indifferent about being lied to about said sub-par product you intend to buy.

Guerrilla

This, so so much! But is there even an option for devs to turn off pary chat? They have to do something to bring people back into the game chats...

Even a notification like "To experience this game in full turn on game chat" would help a little. However turning off party chat completely in ranked matches would be ideal. Make party chat available in casual playlists but not in ranked. Should make most happy...

dwells

They're little tiny squares. If the game looks good - and Halo 2 Anniversary already does, I think - why does it matter how many little tiny squares it has?

You can make anything sound ridiculous when you oversimplify an issue to absurdity like that. Halo 2 Anniversary looks decent, but it doesn't look drastically better than H1A did on the Xbox 360. So that makes it especially disappointing that it's running at such a low resolution. 810p is only 56% of 1080p - that's a drastic and noticeable reduction in image quality.

Given that a lot of us are double, triple, even quadruple dipping in buying a remake of a game we already own in a package that's selling point is updated graphics, it's really disappointing to see it not looking as good at should, especially after Microsoft lied at E3 to build hype that media outlets are still reporting on.

So yes, it might look "good." But it doesn't look as good as it should, as good as we were promised it would, or meet a lot of people's expectations for a remake of content we've already thrown hundreds of dollars at.

Extra kudos if you never had any intention of buying the game and still manage it.

I doubt there's many, if any, people in this thread who were never interested in buying the game, given that this a niche fan-service game and thread.

x-Lundz-x

No offence taken but It's not really about that, you'd still be playing with friends, you'd still talk to them.

Just that in games, you'd hear other players as you got close to them, you have to keep quiet when approaching a bomb plant / flag capture in case you're heard. You can say loudly so hopefully the other team hear "I'm going to go through the teleporter with the flag!" then do something different.

Other people like the post game zings but I'm not so fussed about that.

Party chat's great for being social and I use it all the time, I think it's a good feature. Not having it on Halo MCC would make for a better online Halo experience. It might mean more people would play it too. :)

I would be ok with that, I just was hoping some people were not calling for a MW2 type situation. I refuse to play games where I am forced to listen to strangers when playing online. I've met some cool people don't get me wrong, but honestly I get tired of most of the bullshit that's said on online games, especially Halo and CoD.

Link for the lazy?

You can make anything sound ridiculous when you oversimplify an issue to absurdity like that. Halo 2 Anniversary looks decent, but it doesn't look drastically better than H1A did on the Xbox 360. So that makes it especially disappointing that it's running at such a low resolution. 810p is only 56% of 1080p - that's a drastic and noticeable reduction in image quality.

Given that a lot of us are double, triple, even quadruple dipping in buying a remake of a game we already own in a package that's selling point is updated graphics, it's really disappointing to see it not looking as good at should, especially after Microsoft lied at E3 to build hype that media outlets are still reporting on.

So yes, it might look "good." But it doesn't look as good as it should, as good as we were promised it would, or meet a lot of people's expectations for a remake of content we've already thrown hundreds of dollars at.

I'm not oversimplifying it because I haven't said anything that wasn't true: pixels are tiny little squares that you can't see unless you're really up close to your TV screen.

I can most definitely understand being upset if you were promised one thing and not the other, but at its most basic if a game looks good and looks noticeably better than a game from last-gen, which H2A does to me, then putting so much on pixels isn't productive to me.

I'm not oversimplifying it because I haven't said anything that wasn't true: pixels are tiny little squares that you can't see unless you're really up close to your TV screen.

I can most definitely understand being upset if you were promised one thing and not the other, but at its most basic if a game looks good and looks noticeably better than a game from last-gen, which H2A does to me, then putting so much on pixels isn't productive to me.

You can't see individual pixels but you can tell the difference in image clarity and sharpness they result in if you have eyes worth a shit. You are oversimplifying the situation to the point of demagoguery.

Besides, as I stated before, it does not look significantly better than last-gen; The H2A footage looks pretty much on par with Halo 3/ODST. It's not even Reach or Halo 4 level of detail in the game.

Guerrilla

Maybe you are oversimplifying, but this still stands and is what counts imo. People shouldn't be so upset over this, especially since we are not even sure...

You can't see individual pixels but you can tell the difference in image clarity and sharpness they result in if you have eyes worth a shit. You are oversimplifying the situation to the point of demagoguery.
Maybe if I had images side by side, sure, but I've never been able to tell what's say, 900p or 1080p just by looking at it.

Bsigg12

"Cinematic resolution" should have been there instead of "Xbox One visual fidelity".

klodeckel

Banned

I doubt there's many, if any, people in this thread who were never interested in buying the game, given that this a niche fan-service game and thread.

Why do you judge on something that isn't set in stone!?

Chitown B

Not entirely true, someone found out that the E3 footage was rendered at 810p, so they asked 343i, who in turn confirmed that the current resolution was not 1080p yet and they were aiming to get there, which hardly sounded as confident as the 1080p/60fps all around they announced at E3.

wait, an unfinished game isn't finished? sound the alarms!

It's not the ten year anniversary of Halo 3, and like Frank said, it still looks good enough that only a resolution boost and frame rate are warranted. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making things better, but 343 needs to draw a line in the sand. They're not going to remake two games with full new cinematic and sounds and then keep it at a singular price point too. Maybe in 3+ years when it's actually the ten year anniversary for Halo 3.

I would like to see the split screen field of view be given instead of the current wide-screen FoV.

Oh yeah, i totally get the reason why 3 hasn't received the anniversary treatment, but i would have liked it anyway :p

It's for a reason. This way they can make a Halo 3 Anniversary Edition down the line and get more money. The only thing is, there's no way they can charge $40 for doing it next time since this bundle is $60. They will have to make it $20-25 to make any lick of sense.

Chitown B

H3 does not look bad.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
H3 does not look bad.

Prepare yourself for a Hood pic.

Glad to see this has turned into "Concern Trolling" The Thread.

A what?

It is a disappointment. I paid $500+ for my Day One Xbox One, and have spent hundreds if not thousands on the Halo franchise. Since a collection like this is not likely to ever be done again, I would like to see it done to the highest quality possible.

Halo 2 Anniversary looks closer to a native 360 game than a native XBO game already, so saving grace was going to be IQ and Framerate. Now IQ won't be up to par, and neither will the fidelity.

Thats a shitty situation.

Selling point for whom? They don't have to make a single graphical change to the multiplayer of CE and H2, and I'd still buy it. So, the selling point for me and I'm sure many others is the multiplayer and online co-op.
mhmmm

Top Bottom