• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

So, only H2A isn't 1080p? I'm okay with that, I guess, although it's still a bummer that the Xbox One can't even run a remaster in 1080p lol.

What I'm most excited for is experiencing Halo 3 in 1080p 60fps. It's going to be glorious!

dwells

That can sometimes be an okay approach to simulating a low resolution with some scaling factors and imagery, but with modern 3D games you tend to wind up introducing texture aliasing and similar quirks, and the offsets in the sample patterns can result in weird wobbliness. It's usually worth the effort to actually render things at various resolutions to make the point.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to actually render Halo 4 at whatever resolution I want, so I had to make due with the method I described. If I had a build of H4 where I could change the resolution, I would have definitely done native renders and then upscaled.

Which really doesn't mean anything.

Correct, it was just a taunt and reference to "cinematic" being a gaming industry buzzword lately.

So, only H2A isn't 1080p? I'm okay with that, I guess, although it's still a bummer that the Xbox One can't even run a remaster in 1080p
If it wasn't for switching back and forth between old engine and remastered one, 1080p should not be a problem: It's a matter of running out of room for both frame buffers in the EDRAM. It's basically running 2 engines at the same time.

AiFQbNU.jpg

(H2A, H3, H2)

Heh. Not a complaint per se just something I noticed.

It used to be an innie. :p

I know it's only a minor texture thing but how does something like this happen, can't they copy the original model correctly?

In fact the H2A armor is a bit rubbish in spots.

The nose part is wrong in H2A also.

If it wasn't for switching back and forth between old engine and remastered one, 1080p should not be a problem: It's a matter of running out of room for both frame buffers in the EDRAM. It's basically running 2 engines at the same time.

Oh ok, that makes more sense then.

Wait am I missing something? The footage of Halo 2 anniversary wasn't final build didn't they say how many things would change. Is it confirmed sub 1080p or are people talking for pages about something someone suggested.

1080p of not I'm not really bothered but I'm just confused.

Also why are people talking about Halo 3 when we haven't seen anything from that or Halo 4

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You can't see individual pixels but you can tell the difference in image clarity and sharpness they result in if you have eyes worth a shit. You are oversimplifying the situation to the point of demagoguery.

Besides, as I stated before, it does not look significantly better than last-gen; The H2A footage looks pretty much on par with Halo 3/ODST. It's not even Reach or Halo 4 level of detail in the game.

You're about eight or ten posts deep in complaining about work in progress and continually accusing people of LYING to you and it's boring and exhausting to read people continually tell you it's WIP and that there's no conspiracy afoot to hurt you personally.

Also, we did bring Steve Vai back to the studio for guitar.

Stinkles

Wait am I missing something? The footage of Halo 2 anniversary wasn't final build didn't they say how many things would change. Is it confirmed sub 1080p or are people talking for pages about something someone suggested.

1080p of not I'm not really bothered but I'm just confused.

Also why are people talking about Halo 3 when we haven't seen anything from that or Halo 4
Classic
1. All MP will be 1080p, 60fps, including H2 and H2 anniversary.
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
3. The H2 Anniversary graphics are from relatively early WIP.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

dwells

You're about eight or ten posts deep in complaining about work in progress and continually accusing people of LYING to you and it's boring and exhausting to read people continually tell you it's WIP and that there's no conspiracy afoot to hurt you personally.

WIP or not, wouldn't you agree that it's inappropriate to announce a game as being 1080p when even the accompanying media isn't 1080p and the developers are announcing a good deal of uncertainty about being able to reach 1080p? Especially when that 1080p is emphasized as a talking point at the biggest video game conference in the world?

I think a lot of the issue is that the Collection was presented and hyped as being all 1080p all the time at E3 and people got excited accordingly. But in the time since then, we find out from developer quotes that the 1080p goal hasn't been reached yet and might not be reached at all, and we see references to 1080p silently removed from the marketing material and replaced with an ambiguous "Xbox One visual fidelity" reference. This type of thing doesn't exactly instill confidence in people, and some people feel a little cheated as a result.

Classic
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

Give me anniversary lockout gameplay and I'll arrange all the spice to be sent to you.

Stinkles

WIP or not, wouldn't you agree that it's inappropriate to announce a game as being 1080p when even the accompanying media isn't 1080p and the developers are announcing a good deal of uncertainty about being able to reach 1080p? Especially when that 1080p is emphasized as a talking point at the biggest video game conference in the world?

You're talking about a single component of the product, which we've been explicit and honest about throughout. There was no simple way to clarify that in our two minutes on stage at E3, and we followed up immediately.

It's a VERY complex and large package of tech and content and as you've seen, it's been challenging to message it all accurately and clearly. This post and dozens of interviews are part of that process.

I have had several mea culpas trying to keep it all clear. And I have owned those.

Unless you're suggesting we are deliberately trying to deceive... who exactly?

All dem backpedals. You must ride a unicycle well.
But how does it work?

EDIT:
You're talking about a single component of the product, which we've been explicit and honest about throughout. There was no simple way to clarify that in our two minutes on stage at E3, and we followed up immediately.
I cringe everytime when media outlets ding you guys for that. TWO MINUTES on TMCC and sites complain that it was "just a remake" that they "spent too much time on" LOL -- Blows my mind how media outlets are not instantly recognizing this as the greatest fanservice gamers have probably ever seen.

So much I can talk about regarding how disappointed I am with the lukewarm reception of this outside of the Halo fanbase.

dwells

It's a VERY complex and large package of tech and content and as you've seen, it's been challenging to message it all accurately and clearly. This post and dozens of interviews are part of that process.

I have had several mea culpas trying to keep it all clear. And I have owned those.

Surely it could have been more honestly presented as "coming this fall, targeting 1080p" instead of how it was presented as "running at 1080p." That would have been a better representation and wouldn't have taken up a second more on stage.

I agree entirely about it being a complex issue and a large package, thus why language like I mentioned above would have been far more appropriate. Instead, the language used implied that 1080p was a given. I'm in no position to argue whether or not it was purposeful deceit, but the result is that all the major media outlets are continuing to repeat the 1080p information they were given at E3, when that may not be the case for the whole package.

Karak

God damn I just become more and more excited for this whole package. So much awesome is going to be had. Can not wait.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Surely it could have been more honestly presented as "coming this fall, targeting 1080p" instead of how it was presented as "running at 1080p." That would have been a better representation and wouldn't have taken up a second more on stage.

I agree entirely about it being a complex issue and a large package, thus why language like I mentioned above would have been far more appropriate. Instead, the language used implied that 1080p was a given. I'm in no position to argue whether or not it was purposeful deceit, but the result is that all the major media outlets are continuing to repeat the 1080p information they were given at E3, when that may not be the case for the whole package.

Because saying targeting 1080p when there is 5 MP modes and 4 single player modes and only one of them isn't quite there yet but is expected to be... would just be dumb.

Stinkles

EDIT:

So much I can talk about regarding how disappointed I am with the lukewarm reception of this outside of the Halo fanbase.

I thought the press coverage was fine, obviously they prefer NEW stuff, that's what E3 is about, but I will say that as Amazon pre orders and other metrics showed, it's not just some core faithful who jumped in.

Bsigg12

You're so overly fixated on language and resolution of WIP screens that you're coming off as rude. He stated why they said what they did and what they're in the process of doing. Are you waiting for an apology or something?

Classic

Sadly, #5 is the main truth. Some people can't just be excited to get a very cool package and would rather complain about perceived issues BEFORE THEY EVEN MAY OR MAY NOT EXIST.

I love GAF for the discussions it fosters, but I hate the outrage and vitriol people have when it comes to Resolution/FPS and such. Everyone here started playing games to have fun!

I know I am going to get shredded for this, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. Can't wait for November!

I thought the press coverage was fine, obviously they prefer NEW stuff, that's what E3 is about, but I will say that as Amazon pre orders and other metrics showed, it's not just some core faithful who jumped in.

I already have a PS4 and a Wii U, but after E3, I purchased an Xbox One just because of the Master Chief collection. It was one of the most exciting things at E3, I felt.

hawk2025

Isn't it just better to edit the thread title at this point so we can broaden the discussion to all the other stuff?

Part of me thinks people are fixated on this because it's right there in the title.

Whatever about resolution quibbles...is the FOV standardized across games now and, more importantly, is it wider than the blinders view that Halo 4 X360 was? I am pounding my clenched fist into a wooden desk right now as I demand answers, Stinkles.

dwells

Because saying targeting 1080p when there is 5 MP modes and 4 single player modes and only one of them isn't quite there yet but is expected to be... would just be dumb.

The truth is dumb? They could have also just used the same ambiguous language the official site has been updated with - "Xbox One visual fidelity." But instead, 1080p was cited for the whole collection, which simply wasn't true at the time and might not be true at launch.

Aw yeah.

Yes, but think of the pixels!

Kibbles

I already have a PS4 and a Wii U, but after E3, I purchased an Xbox One just because of the Master Chief collection. It was one of the most exciting things at E3, I felt.
3 of my friends are ready to jump on an Xbone because of the MCC too. Were going to have a big LAN party for sure.

ibjDPNY12IhH7T.gif

Intent matters, quite a lot. Thanks for the update.

dwells

You're so overly fixated on language and resolution of WIP screens that you're coming off as rude. He stated why they said what they did and what they're in the process of doing. Are you waiting for an apology or something?

I don't see how my post was rude - all I did was civilly disagree. I'm not "waiting for an apology," just expressing a distaste for how the game was inaccurately presented at a major media event and then the same talking point has been silently removed as if it never happened.

3 of my friends are ready to jump on an Xbone because of the MCC too. Were going to have a big LAN party for sure.

My friends are on the fence, since most of them just bought a PS4.

But, they have pretty much told me their coming over to my house regularly when I get the game. Gonna need to buy some more controllers!

AlStrong

Awesome. :)

Hope to hear some snippets of the re-recordings before release day.

I know it's only a minor texture thing but how does something like this happen, can't they copy the original model correctly?

In fact the H2A armor is a bit rubbish in spots.

The nose part is wrong in H2A also.

Yeah, kind of odd.... Maybe the original assets just weren't high enough resolution, so they had to remake it from scratch (and took a couple liberties it seems). WIP etc. The CEA armour did go through significant changes too.

edit:

Actually, looking at some of the other shots, maybe the normal map sign got flipped and/or it's a lighting bug causing the normal map texture jut out there.

KevinG

The entire package is confirmed 1080p except for the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign (which is still intended to be 1080p). It's almost as if people don't have any confidence in the development process.

Frankie has made it clear as to what the team at 343i is aiming for. He doesn't have to be in this forum or thread at all, but still shows up to share the process with us. That's a developer I can have confidence in.

They'll do the product justice.

I don't see how my post was rude - all I did was civilly disagree. I'm not "waiting for an apology," just expressing a distaste for how the game was inaccurately presented at a major media event and then the same talking point has been silently removed as if it never happened.

You need to stop dwelling on this point. *chuckles*

Eoin

How was it inaccurately presented at the press conference? They only ever mentioned 1080p in relation to the multiplayer.

turcy

#dontbeadick.gif

If H2A turns out to be 1079p, would you still be unsatisfied?

when can we expect some media and graphical details? I am dying to see this!! All Halo games at 60 FPS! DO WANT ^_^

Really wish they had included Halo Reach as well

Stinkles

It hasn't been "silently removed" we're talking about it right now, as I have in this very thread and the community thread, many times. I even dropped a hot scoop earlier.

maneil99

Didn't Halo 3's Theater mode super-sample the game when you took screenshots? I heard somewhere in this thread or the e3 thread that the X1 port will run looking like the screenshots.

Vinc

Classic

Thank you for this! Just to be sure, all campaigns run at 60 fps and, except H2 at the moment, 1080p, right?

It'd be amazing, if at all possible, to give people the option to pick between old and new graphics and turn off instant switching if they choose to. It's probably not that simple, but it would be an awesome compromise.

Bsigg12

How was it inaccurately presented at the press conference? They only ever mentioned 1080p in relation to the multiplayer.

This is true. I just went back and rewatched the announcement at E3. Dan from 343 is talking about the 5 multiplayer components when he says they're 1080/60. It is never mentioned what the campaign is. Bonnie never mentions anything other than what is included.

Vinc

This is true. I just went back and rewatched the announcement at E3. Dan from 343 is talking about the 5 multiplayer components when he says they're 1080/60. It is never mentioned what the campaign is.

...Heh. Personally, I can see how that can be misleading. That's why I was disappointed/concerned to hear it may not be 1080p. They're definitely not liars though. It's definitely not easy to communicate all of that information in a press conference and they've been talking about it since.

It hasn't been "silently removed" we're talking about it right now, as I have in this very thread and the community thread, many times. I even dropped a hot scoop earlier.

Stinkles what are your thoughts on Cliffy B's recent tweet? ;-)

Joking aside, love the detail you are giving. Can't wait to replay the games on my One. Good luck with the rest of the dev cycle!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Classic

Bravo.

And like that, my concern dissolves.

psychotron

Thank you for this! Just to be sure, all campaigns run at 60 fps and, except H2 at the moment, 1080p, right?

It'd be amazing, if at all possible, to give people the option to pick between old and new graphics and turn off instant switching if they choose to. It's probably not that simple, but it would be an awesome compromise.

I would much prefer to have a 1080P option without being able to switch back and forth on the fly. To me, it would just be a cool gimmick that didn't serve any real purpose. Being able to pick one or the other in a main menu, then have that locked in during gameplay sounds reasonable. Full disclosure, I have no idea if that'll make any difference when it comes to being able to put the game out at 1080P, as I know nothing about game developement. I'm buying this shit either way.

Top Bottom