• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

KevinG

It hasn't been "silently removed" we're talking about it right now, as I have in this very thread and the community thread, many times. I even dropped a hot scoop earlier.

Did I miss the hot scoop? I feel like I missed the hot scoop...

Or maybe I don't know what a hot scoop is.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Classic
1. All MP will be 1080p, 60fps, including H2 and H2 anniversary.
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
3. The H2 Anniversary graphics are from relatively early WIP.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

Sounds good. I can deal with H2 Anniversary campaign at sub-1080p as long as MP is still crisp and runs at 60fps.

Yeah, just make a launch option that allows you to run H2A in 1920x1080p without the dynamic switching. Hell, bury it in the menus if worries about confusion persist. Problem solved.

Also, we did bring Steve Vai back to the studio for guitar.

omg-owl.gif

I was already day one. Now I'm day NEGATIVE ONE. Tears will well up in my eyes the first time I boot the game up.

Yeah, just make a launch option that allows you to run H2A in 1920x1080p without the dynamic switching. Hell, bury it in the menus if worries about confusion persist. Problem solved.

Oh, just stop.

Vire

Classic
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

All is well then.

JB1981

That's debatable. Halo 3's image quality isn't pristine, but I can understand the argument that geometric detail looks "sharp"; you'll cut your eyes on the jaggies, but those edges don't really scream "blurry."

Agree. This is one of the main reasons I can't wait to see how the game looks at native 1080p and 60fps. I love the look of the game! Will be the best looking Halo game ever, in my opinion.

Have you seen the booty on a spartan 3 or 4?

It makes no sense really I can't remember the Spartan 4 augments if they had any but Spartan 3s are cheap Spartan 2s and afaik the female Spartans were quite difficult to distinguish due to the augments they minimized fat and maximized muscle not many women with excessive muscle maintain a feminine appearance and even less so under half a tonne of armor

It makes no sense really I can't remember the Spartan 4 augments if they had any but Spartan 3s are cheap Spartan 2s and afaik the female Spartans were quite difficult to distinguish due to the augments they minimized fat and maximized muscle not many women with excessive muscle maintain a feminine appearance and even less so under half a tonne of armor

:|

Bsigg12

You should stop

FyreWulff

They explicitly pointed out that they gave both genders magnificent butts on purpose in the Reach commentary

Holy crap I cannot wait for this to come out! If H2A campaign comes out under 1080p it won't bother me. Also, thanks for the updates stinkles. I might have to give my old copies of Halo one last hurrah before The Master Chief Collection.

They look more feminine because from what I've seen a lot of female players have asked for it over many halo forums. If they want their Spartans to be more distinguishable from males then I see no problem with this.

Tawpgun

They explicitly pointed out that they gave both genders magnificent butts on purpose in the Reach commentary

Humanity needs heroes. Heroes with great butts.

I know why they made girl spartans more lean and feminine stature in relation to boy spartans. It's just a gamey, entertainment kinda thing to do, and for identification.

But I always found it weird. Maybe the canon reason is Spartan 3 and 4 are not as augmented or something. But Spartan 2's should all look more or less the same

Humanity needs heroes. Heroes with great butts.

I know why they made girl spartans more lean and feminine stature in relation to boy spartans. It's just a gamey, entertainment kinda thing to do, and for identification.

But I always found it weird. Maybe the canon reason is Spartan 3 and 4 are not as augmented or something. But Spartan 2's should all look more or less the same

It's multiplayer. I want girl Spartans in Halo 5 like we had in Reach.

Akai__

It's multiplayer. I want girl Spartans in Halo 5 like we had in Reach.

When we played in a party, everyone switched to female Spartans in our Team. Why? Because, the majority played with male Spartans and you could easily tell, if somebody is sprinting behind you. I found that to be very helpfull, but it obviously didn't work always.

Never forget the heavy breathing Spartans in Reach.

When we played in a party, everyone switched to female Spartans in our Team. Why? Because, the majority played with male Spartans and you could easily tell, if somebody is sprinting behind you. I found that to be very helpfull, but it obviously didn't work always.

Never forget the heavy breathing Spartans in Reach.
Why does that matter? That's a case of tweaking the female Spartans to make them more noticeable when sprinting.

hawk2025

Classic

Tasty. So tasty.

You should stop

Why? They say either explicitly or in a round about way in the expanded media that its incredibly difficult to tell the gender of a spartan in armor. You had the option for a female voice in Halo 3 and that was fine. Then for some reason with reach they added a feminine body shape with exaggerated proportions like the pic posted above shows. Halo 4 actually does a pretty good job with the female spartan model it looks like I'd expect but it's got pretty low muscle mass which seems strange because I'd imagine they went under some type of augmentation for muscle growth and stuff which would put them on par physically with male spartan 4's

RSB

Banned
Female spartans in Halo 4 were terrible. Halo 5 better be more like Reach in that regard.

My female Noble 6 is still the best Halo lead ever. Noble 6 > Arby > MC

Akai__

Why does that matter? That's a case of tweaking the female Spartans to make them more noticeable when sprinting.

It matters, because it wasn't only for the visual purpose, but it was also pretty helpful in MP. At least for me and some friends. :p

Welfare

Classic

All I needed to hear. Will be so great playing Halo 2 in 60fps.

x-Lundz-x

How was it inaccurately presented at the press conference? They only ever mentioned 1080p in relation to the multiplayer.

They most certainly advertised the whole package as 1080P / 60. You link me to where they said "Multiplayer Only" anywhere during that reveal.

They most certainly advertised the whole package as 1080P / 60. You link me to where they said "Multiplayer Only" anywhere during that reveal.

No, they didn't.

Anywho, Frankie clarified anyways on the last page, and has since clarified as soon as 2 minutes after the conference.

Mumford

Classic

Thanks for the confirmation Frankie! I wish you luck with this so called "game development" process.

I thought the press coverage was fine, obviously they prefer NEW stuff, that's what E3 is about, but I will say that as Amazon pre orders and other metrics showed, it's not just some core faithful who jumped in.

Core faithful extends to millions, to be fair, but yeah I agree. The numbers and constant talk of excitement surrounding TMCC is proof enough that this was a great decision for the Xbox One.

It's almost as if you flipped the switch in our relationship, friend. One minute I'm fighting for the Pistol, the next you're laughing as you know what was going to be revealed! You know where to find me if you ever want to blow up Warthogs over the notorious cliff on The Silent Cartographer or use nothing but the CE Pistol in any given match ;]

rokkerkory

Almost everyone has heard of Halo by now if they are into gaming but not everyone has had to chance to play the games. Esp the older ones.

TMCC will give those new folks to the franchise a reason why Halo has become so legendary. :D

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Why is this thread so active now? What happened to the other proper thread OP with all the explanation and stuff. Can we please stick with one thread? its really hard to follow all the information if people keep posting on different thread. And I am obviously talking about Frank's post and etc. Which I am really interested in.

rokkerkory

Why is this thread so active now? What happened to the other proper thread OP with all the explanation and stuff. Can we please stick with one thread? its really hard to follow all the information if people keep posting on different thread. And I am obviously talking about Frank's post and etc. Which I am really interested in.

Frankie posted in this thread so people are responding to his post. I guess this is the master thread now.

x-Lundz-x

No, they didn't.

Anywho, Frankie clarified anyways on the last page, and has since clarified as soon as 2 minutes after the conference.

I re-watched it right now and while I agree, he did talk about it during the multiplayer presentation of the game, it still came off as the whole package being 1080 / 60.

Agreed. It's hard to have a discussion if we're having to jump back and forth between threads.

Just trying to figure it out myself.

There's 32 MB of ESRAM.

1600 * 900 (resolution) * 2 (double buffer) * 4 (RGBA @ 32 bit) = 11,520,000 bytes.

That's 10.986 MB out of 32 MB.

It's not running out of memory room issue as much as running out memory bandwidth issue. XBO has 8 flippin GB of RAM, and at least 5 of it can be resourced to game running. I think they can shove both engine's frame buffer and textures and assets in that no problem. The question is whether they can do all they want to do within the memory rendering bandwidth of 170GB/s or whatever it is.

H2A would get most of ESARM love because it's shiny and purdy. I would think OG H2 would be mostly rendered on SDRAM, if 1080p60 can be done on that.

Personally, I wouldn't mind is engine instant swap was between something like 900p60 H2A and 900p60 H2OG. I would even push H2OG down to 720p60 if that meant making H2A prettier.

HTupolev

Didn't Halo 3's Theater mode super-sample the game when you took screenshots? I heard somewhere in this thread or the e3 thread that the X1 port will run looking like the screenshots.
The screenshot function supersamples from 4K, in addition to using a smoother method for bloom convolution.

Halo 3 MCC could theoretically wind up with some simple improvements (i.e. higher texture quality, if they have high-quality versions of the textures laying around), and obviously there won't be compression artifacts, but it won't have the degree of spatial sampling that screenshots do in the original game.

Computron

Just trying to figure it out myself.

There's 32 MB of ESRAM.

1600 * 900 (resolution) * 2 (double buffer) * 4 (RGBA @ 32 bit) = 11,520,000 bytes.

That's 10.986 MB out of 32 MB.

Deffered Lighting (and Deffered Shading) require additional buffers of varying bit depths in order to do their thing. They are becoming extremely common methods for rendering modern AAA games.

With these methods, there are so many variants of the buffer layout that its difficult to give a baseline estimate for the amount of memory and bandwidth needed for all games. The kinds of buffers and the way in which you will represent their data is all decided and prototyped out when you're still deciding what kind of materials and visual phenomena you want to be able to recreate and to what degree of accuracy. Some games want to have anisotropic specular, other want shaders for SSS, pearlescence, or some might need to model other complex visual phenomena... Some of these effects may end up needing extra buffers (although for some effects there are sometimes clever ways of getting approximations without additional buffers) or bandwidth. Some buffers need high bit depths in order to avoid artifacts like banding.
For some layouts, there can also be a handful of clever tricks that take better advantage of all the available ESRAM and its bandwidth due to some hardware level features of AMD's GCN architecture..

The point is its complicated to balance all the features you need for your renderer with the ESRAM and it's bandwidth, but I think the consensus is that, as time goes on and developers have time to figure out the optimal buffer layouts and approximation techniques, Xbox one games will reach the holy grail of 1080p 60 fps visuals. Its also not always easy to iterate on the layout late in development, especially in the case of multiplatform games.

cakely

Almost everyone has heard of Halo by now if they are into gaming but not everyone has had to chance to play the games. Esp the older ones.

TMCC will give those new folks to the franchise a reason why Halo has become so legendary. :D

I would assume that the set of "people that early adopted an Xbox One", and the set of "people that have played Halo" have an extremely large overlap.

EBreda

Can't wait for it!!

Oh, and all this 1080p H2A campaign thing... please just stop. It's not like they're stealth releasing the game on the market while falsely advertising something.

343 have been quite explicit with all the talking so far. And I honestly can not bring myself to believe ANYONE would skip the collection because of the sub 1080 res on one of the trillion games/modes/maps they're shipping.

It's without a doubt the most comprehensive collection anyone could expect out of 343. Most people would be nuts for H2A only.. to have that PLUS everything else for the price of a regular game is just nuts.

Top Bottom