• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Master Chief Collection: H1-4. H2 full remaster. 1080p60. $59.99 Nov 11 Xbox One

Klocker

Classic
1. All MP will be 1080p, 60fps, including H2 and H2 anniversary.
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.
3. The H2 Anniversary graphics are from relatively early WIP.
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

Right on

Thanks for that... can't wait, good luck leading up to the launch

Classic
2. There's a chance that H2 Anniversary campaign could run at a different resolution to accommodate the second frame buffer. But the intent is to overcome that hurdle.

Exactly 1080p60fps for multiplayer is the priority. Make the campaign for h2a as pretty as you can even if its 792-900p, as long as it looks amazing and has good aa. I'm hoping that the Halo 5 campaign will be 30fps just to see what the system is truly capable of. That third point tho.... early WIP? It already looks amazing so far. Can't wait to see the recent build then.

You're about eight or ten posts deep in complaining about work in progress and continually accusing people of LYING to you and it's boring and exhausting to read people continually tell you it's WIP and that there's no conspiracy afoot to hurt you personally.

Also, we did bring Steve Vai back to the studio for guitar.

It's not about lying to me personally, it's that the information given on stage with a confident smile was purposefully wrong. If you take an issue with me calling that a lie, I'm sorry, but then maybe it shouldn't have been said. Regardless, I do not wish to beat this horse any further. I think H2A should look better in many regards, not just resolutionwise, considering it's running on 2013 hardware, and I hope and trust you will make that happen considering what you did with H4 on 360. I will reserve further bitching until I see the end result.

The reason I actually replied was, however, to thank you for Steve Vai. I truly appreciate it. I'm also humbled that you would actually note my concern about the game music to personally reply to it, as well as taking the time to clear things up about IQ while retaining more civility than I tend to when posting online. I appreciate it, and even if it sounds otherwise, I hope you do the best of jobs with the MCC.

As someone who had the original Xbox, I never played and enjoyed Halo. Mainly, because I still struggled with controlling dual sticks at one time and console shooters in general (still have flashbacks of losing horribly to Goldeneye on the neighbor's N64). As I gotten older and tried more console shooters (and dual sticks became more of a common thing in all games), I gotten better and wanted to visit the franchise that always got away... Halo. Years ago, I was use to twitch based shooter, Unreal Tournament:Gold Edition on my dad's Compaq PC, and not the slower pace of Halo. I always appreciated the lore behind the universe and even own some Halo items in my office.

I had originally planned to start buying the old Halo games and play them on the 360 this summer. There were several times where I lost ebay auctions, missed out on sales or just walked out of GS before I could get any of the older games.

After 343i made the announcement about this collection, I was elated. Now, I can play the main entries off one disc and could cherry pick moments that I want to play. I'm still missing out on ODST and Reach (which is a bummer) but at least I get to play through the main story beats.

Overall, I am over the moon about TMCC comibg out and so are people that are in my unique situation. Is it a system seller? I don't really know but then again, I usually don't believe in only one game selling a console (well, maybe Smash bros or MK8).

Deffered Lighting (and Deffered Shading) require additional buffers of varying bit depths in order to do their thing. They are becoming extremely common methods for rendering modern AAA games.

With these methods, there are so many variants of the buffer layout that its difficult to give a baseline estimate for the amount of memory and bandwidth needed for all games. The kinds of buffers and the way in which you will represent their data is all decided and prototyped out when you're still deciding what kind of materials and visual phenomena you want to be able to recreate and to what degree of accuracy. Some games want to have anisotropic specular, other want shaders for SSS, pearlescence, or some might need to model other complex visual phenomena... Some of these effects may end up needing extra buffers (although for some effects there are sometimes clever ways of getting approximations without additional buffers) or bandwidth. Some buffers need high bit depths in order to avoid artifacts like banding.
For some layouts, there can also be a handful of clever tricks that take better advantage of all the available ESRAM and its bandwidth due to some hardware level features of AMD's GCN architecture..

The point is its complicated to balance all the features you need for your renderer with the ESRAM and it's bandwidth, but I think the consensus is that, as time goes on and developers have time to figure out the optimal buffer layouts and approximation techniques, Xbox one games will reach the holy grail of 1080p 60 fps visuals. Its also not always easy to iterate on the layout late in development, especially in the case of multiplatform games.

Bold part is why I didn't mention any other buffers such as the depth buffer and any lighting-related buffers, as it would be pointless speculation.

Completely agree with the last paragraph, it takes time to get accustom to new hardware. As Frankie mentioned earlier, game development is exactly that: development.

It's not about lying to me personally, it's that the information given on stage with a confident smile was purposefully wrong. If you take an issue with me calling that a lie, I'm sorry, but then maybe it shouldn't have been said. Regardless, I do not wish to beat this horse any further. I think H2A should look better in many regards, not just resolutionwise, considering it's running on 2013 hardware, and I hope and trust you will make that happen considering what you did with H4 on 360. I will reserve further bitching until I see the end result.

The reason I actually replied was, however, to thank you for Steve Vai. I truly appreciate it. I'm also humbled that you would actually note my concern about the game music to personally reply to it, as well as taking the time to clear things up about IQ while retaining more civility than I tend to when posting online. I appreciate it, and even if it sounds otherwise, I hope you do the best of jobs with the MCC.

Really man? Purposefully?

Leyasu

Banned
Classic
4. We'll keep showing progress throughout the year using a process we call "game development."
5. This or its opposite will still make certain posters mad, because they're already mad and are looking for things to confirm that rage.

Ok stinkles thanks for clearing that up..

Now could you please confirm exactly how the multiplayer is going to work please?

Are we going to be able to choose what datacenter we can matchmake on, or is the game going to decide for us??

Please confirm this

Classic

Interesting. So using this process you call "game development" you can actually improve the game?

That's amazing!

Can't wait for it!!

Oh, and all this 1080p H2A campaign thing... please just stop. It's not like they're stealth releasing the game on the market while falsely advertising something.

343 have been quite explicit with all the talking so far. And I honestly can not bring myself to believe ANYONE would skip the collection because of the sub 1080 res on one of the trillion games/modes/maps they're shipping.

It's without a doubt the most comprehensive collection anyone could expect out of 343. Most people would be nuts for H2A only.. to have that PLUS everything else for the price of a regular game is just nuts.

My man. Well said. Seriously, with all that we now know about this incredible collection of games that we are getting for $60 (SIXTY!!! I still can't believe that), something like the possible resolution of one part of it isn't very high on my list of things. I'm just really excited to experience all the campaigns again on my xbox one.

Classic

Well it's certainly a bit deceitful to declare it runs at 1080p (without exception) at the biggest gaming event in the calendar, and then silently add an asterisk to that; putting it on NeoGAF, while appreciated, is not the same...although appreciated.

This notwithstanding, I will be dang happy if you can get 60fps for the campaign so it won't run like garbage as the original.

Plasma

Banned

Just curious if there was an option to force the new graphics on all the time and disable the switching between the two would it be able to run at a higher resolution?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I have subscribe to this thread, just so I can see those awesome reaction in first few pages when this was announced. LOL Such a brilliant fan service this was.

npa189

I still think they should have gone whole hog and put reach in, but I still bought a bone just for this game, the best 4 fps games of all time in one collection. MP is just going to be nuts, and its all running on dedicated servers.

RyudBoy

Including Reach wouldn't have made sense since this is 'The Master Chief Collection'.

That being said, I would love to see a remade ODST and Reach some day.

gkryhewy

Including Reach wouldn't have made sense since this is 'The Master Chief Collection'.

That being said, I would love to see a remade ODST and Reach some day.

Bit circular. It's the MC collection because they decided not to include Reach and ODST... but obviously it's a nonstarter since they're still providing great value.

FyreWulff

ODST and Reach compliment each other anyway.

But therein lies the limitation of simply porting a game instead of a true remake. 343 could get their super-canon-everything rocks off by combining Halo 2, ODST, and 3 into one game, much closer to the original intended design of where Halo 3 is essentially the last missing act of Halo 2.

Amusingly, if they had included ODST they could use the MCC playlist functionality to where you could play Halo 2, ODST, and 3 in chronological order.

Top Bottom