• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection IS COMING TO PC and STEAM!!!!!

Dlacy13g

So I still can't find an answer to this question, I own MCC digitally on Xbone, am I good for a free Windows Store version?

I don't think MS positioned the game as a "Play Anywhere" title. Games need to be "Play Anywhere" in order for them to have an included PC version if you bought on Xbox. My guess is because this is happening outside of the original game release this wont be play anywhere and you would need to buy on PC if you want it there. Would be here if it was: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere?xr=shellnav

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
Can't we all just be happy? Lol
I am thrilled that Reach is coming to the collection. I have a One X so I will primarily keep playing on my console but I am also excited that I can play Halo anywhere on my laptop wherever I am! And I am thrilled that PC players will be able to finally try out my favorite franchise.

Above all I am just happy that we have good Halo news for once. The past 5 years have been rough for Halo fans to say the least. Halo Infinite at E3 last year was the first time I felt a positive feeling about the direction the franchise was headed in a LONG TIME!
It just feels good to see and hear positive things about Halo for a change!

Dontero

Banned
Also, downplaying the fact that Halo is coming to PC in the best ways possible is a bad look. This news is huge for a lot of fans.

I don't think you get my point here and maybe i was not clear enough. The point was not that it is wrong for it to come to PC. My point is that it is not a big of a deal for PC players and i expect that game will die quick death of steam same as new Halo Infinite if it will be still same old halo.

You might not believe me and that is fine but we have steam charts and we can look back in few months and see if PC crowd actually cared that much about it.

I don't think you get my point here and maybe i was not clear enough. The point was not that it is wrong for it to come to PC. My point is that it is not a big of a deal for PC players and i expect that game will die quick death of steam same as new Halo Infinite if it will be still same old halo.

You might not believe me and that is fine but we have steam charts and we can look back in few months and see if PC crowd actually cared that much about it.
I do not believe your prediction is correct. Fans have been waiting for this with baited breath.

You've been involved in many other threads about what Microsoft is doing to Xbox as a console, you know the why. (He's clearly talking future.)

Xbox is dead! Long live Xbox!

Last edited:

BlackTron

Even though it's only March this will probably remain the best gaming news for me all year.

Was SO waiting for this. And Steam? Is this some kind of dream? I might not even need Windows 10. WHAT?!

I disagree with those saying this won't matter on PC. I think Halo just needed to be on PC to matter again.

I don't think MS positioned the game as a "Play Anywhere" title. Games need to be "Play Anywhere" in order for them to have an included PC version if you bought on Xbox. My guess is because this is happening outside of the original game release this wont be play anywhere and you would need to buy on PC if you want it there. Would be here if it was: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere?xr=shellnav

From what I see on waypoint PC players will have to repurchase everything, and as the games release you have to buy them all individually on PC.

Link to Waypoint article

Our current plan is for this journey to begin with the launch of Halo: Reach – the fictional beginnings of Master Chief’s saga – with the rest of the titles following in chronological order thereafter. Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST (Campaign), and Halo 4 will each be available for individual purchase within MCC as they become available. And each game will evolve and grow over time with community input.

That's kind of shitty TBH. Not surprised they didn't talk about this during the Inside Xbox show.

lifa-cobex

Well going by the reactions on this forum, Reddit PCMR and other subs. I'm gonna says it's pretty highly anticipated.
It's a product that's sitting around doing nothing. Might as well get some more cash out of it. What have Microsoft got to loose? What's Steam got to loose?

All I can say for sure is I've been wanting to play Halo 2/ 3 for a long time. But I wasn't going to buy a 360 just for them.

Aren117

That's kind of shitty TBH. Not surprised they didn't talk about this during the Inside Xbox show.

They did, dude said live that Reach would be the first one to launch, with the rest following one by one to grant them time to get feedback on each one.

They did, dude said live that Reach would be the first one to launch, with the rest following one by one to grant them time to get feedback on each one.

They don't talk about play anywhere at all, and they didn't mention having to purchase the games on PC one at a time on the show either. They just said the MCC would be a staggered release, not a collection of separate purchases.

thelastword

Banned
So they're drip feeding the MCC, but why? These titles have been out for such a long time as a package, using a common API to PC. That's a very strange eventuality, seeing that they announced they would fixing the MCC after 4 years, you would think the PC version was being worked on in tandem and the whole package would be ready now......Strange this....Very Strange...MS's development has been so ho-hum this entire generation and yet it continues.....

quest

Not Banned from OT
Been waiting for this since halo was announced on xbox. My body is ready and just in time to play on my glorious new rig. I do hope it is $30 as it will be a day 1. If it is $60, I will wait for the half off sale.

This is why it is stupid to release on steam only valve will make money. Just another stupid decision on MS part just hand over all the profit to valve and get nothing in return lol. Those 10 dollar sales really going pay off. Should kept it on ms store gamepass only. At least only your company is one to gain. Instead you get nothing while valve does nothing for bunch of money. Epic exclusive would been better at least MS would made money on the game. Oh well nail in the coffin towards the division being shut down over stupidity.

bilderberg

If your definition of success are numbers higher than PUBG or Fortnite than okay, but as long as it has more than a healthy amount of players to consistently get into matches who gives a shit.

Codes 208

Chronologically, shouldn’t ODST be before Halo 3?
So they're drip feeding the MCC, but why? These titles have been out for such a long time as a package, using a common API to PC. That's a very strange eventuality, seeing that they announced they would fixing the MCC after 4 years, you would think the PC version was being worked on in tandem and the whole package would be ready now......Strange this....Very Strange...MS's development has been so ho-hum this entire generation and yet it continues.....
Your concern trolling is adorable.
But 343i has already stated the reason for this is to assure that the same thing that happened at launch on Xbox doesn’t happen again here and this is the most efficient way to do it.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
You know what would be great? To not turn good news for gamers, into fanatic trolling opportunities.

Do better.

Dontero

Banned
If your definition of success are numbers higher than PUBG or Fortnite than okay, but as long as it has more than a healthy amount of players to consistently get into matches who gives a shit.

I am talking here about indie level numbers. For halo collection tops 100k-200k. If infinite is old halo type game then it won't brake million units.

RSB

Banned
Halo Reach at 4k 60fps (hopefully without any trace of that awful ghosting effect) Awesome.

After this update the only thing still missing from the Collection will be ODST Firefight right? I hope they include it too, eventually.

Codes 208

Also to those who are acting like this isn’t that big of a deal, I invite you to check out the r/gaming on reddit. Everyone’s been going crazy about this since it was announced yesterday.

Havoc2049

I am talking here about indie level numbers. For halo collection tops 100k-200k. If infinite is old halo type game then it won't brake million units.
Even Halo 2 Vista, which was restricted to the unpopular Vista OS and GFW sold around a million copies on the PC.

Last edited:
I dont think you have been following halo very closely. Halo numbers have been trending down because the more recent halo games have been so different from what made them great initially, and not the other way around. That downward trend began with Reach. The last classic halo game that was made was Halo 3. So in theory, if Halo infinite is more in line with traditional/classic halo (halo games 1-3), it should do very well.

Personally, i think that means getting rid of ADS like weapons, all the abilities like sprint, clamber, ground pound, etc, and getting rid of any randomness that was a was central theme in Halo 4.

Last edited:

CaptainABAB

According to the info on this Halo waypoint link, they want to make these games first-class citizens on PC..."native features such as excellent mouse and keyboard controls, support for multiple resolutions and aspect ratios, field-of-view sliders, and adjustable framerates, to name but a few. And yes, there will be support for Xbox gamepads and other PC controllers." (and I heard multi-monitor support, etc.)

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-pc-halo-reach

Most of these games were console-only and never included such features. Even if they use some common DirectX API's, all of the above has to be retro-fitted into these games - not exactly something that you can do in a few weeks.

...you would think the PC version was being worked on in tandem and the whole package would be ready now

The only downside to that is it would have delayed the MCC update even more. I mean I get what you're saying, but this isn't the only thing they're working on. Don't forget that they enhanced Halo 5 for X and have Halo Infinite on the way, etc.

Releasing MCC the way they did was a major f-up but they did go get it right and it is (now) a great value if you're a halo fan.

Last edited:

RSB

Banned
I dont think you have been following halo very closely. Halo numbers have been trending down because the more recent halo games have been so different from what made them great initially, and not the other way around. That downward trend began with Reach. The last classic halo game that was made was Halo 3. So in theory, if Halo infinite is more in line with traditional/classic halo (halo games 1-3), it should do very well.

Personally, i think that means getting rid of ADS like weapons, all the abilities like sprint, clamber, ground pound, etc, and getting rid of any randomness that was a was central theme in Halo 4.
Well, it seems they are going back the roots when it comes to the setting and the art style. Hopefully they go back to the roots on the gameplay department also. I don't know if they'll remove every modern addition, but I sure hope they remove sprint at least (hate the effect it has on gameplay flow and map design)

Mattyp

Gold Member

Whew, it had more like's than that just on reddit when the news broke. It's doing millions, infinite is doing millions. Just because it's not Halo 3 numbers doesn't mean Halo still isn't the biggest first party FPS seller out there.

If 343 keep multiplayer as good as they've tweaked it in 5 and turn SP back into Halo 1/2/3 with PC release same day like promised? We're back baby.

Also throw in some of the best advertising I've still ever seen to date, I want to see 360 level Halo tv adverts again.

Last edited:

idbtn8u.jpg

Stuart360

In regards to the 'drive bys', at least watch the 'Inside Xbox' video before doing those drive bys, then we wouldnt get posts like TheLastWords tedious post above. They are staggering releases so they can make sure each game works right, and if needs be,it will be easier to fix/patch games when they are only dealing with 1 game at a time. Remember how broken MCC was on XB1 at launch, and that was on 1 closed platform, imagine trying to release a 6 game package, with a gazzilion MP maps, onto an open platform like PC, all in one go.

Dontero

Banned

In my opinion it is wrong summary of what happened.

Halo is in the same place as Resistance. There are simply a lot of better games that innovate more and don't have baggage to trully push forward thus it stuck in old paradigms while rest of the world moved on.

Best example of that is Bungie. They kind of held similar artstyle to Halo for Destiny but they completely dropped its gameplay mechanics for new ones and they struck lighting.

Halo 6 releasing as old halo type of game would be like releasing Quake 3 arena right now with best graphics.
It is simply not enough. Gameplay needs to be completely redone from scratch much like bungie did that when they moved on from Halo.

Destiny so far pushed more copies than any of Halo games and it was new IP.

Even Halo 2 Vista, which was restricted to the unpopular Vista OS and GFW sold around a million copies on the PC.

That was at the height of Halo franchize hype and yet it never pushed to something more than 1mln. Right now there is no hype behind Halo. So no, it won't brake even one million on PC.

Stuart360

In my opinion it is wrong summary of what happened.

Halo is in the same place as Resistance. There are simply a lot of better games that innovate more and don't have baggage to trully push forward thus it stuck in old paradigms while rest of the world moved on.

Best example of that is Bungie. They kind of held similar artstyle to Halo for Destiny but they completely dropped its gameplay mechanics for new ones and they struck lighting.

Halo 6 releasing as old halo type of game would be like releasing Quake 3 arena right now with best graphics.
It is simply not enough. Gameplay needs to be completely redone from scratch much like bungie did that when they moved on from Halo.

Destiny so far pushed more copies than any of Halo games and it was new IP.

That was at the height of Halo franchize hype and yet it never pushed to something more than 1mln. Right now there is no hype behind Halo. So no, it won't brake even one million on PC.
You know you can keep saying that, it doesnt make it anymore true. Like i said, check the Steam forums if you think no one is hyped. Sales WILL prove you wrong.

thelastword

Banned
According to the info on this Halo waypoint link, they want to make these games first-class citizens on PC..."native features such as excellent mouse and keyboard controls, support for multiple resolutions and aspect ratios, field-of-view sliders, and adjustable framerates, to name but a few. And yes, there will be support for Xbox gamepads and other PC controllers." (and I heard multi-monitor support, etc.)

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-pc-halo-reach

I don't think the reasons you gave justifies a delay.....Things like multiple resolution support, XBOX gamepad support, Fov sliders etc are not reasons to delay an entire base of games already released...However, if the issue is that they don't want the same things happening with the original XBOX MCC, didn't they already fix that? In essence, they say that MCC issues are already fixed, so I don't get this either, unless it's the steam version is what needs work.....Now that is probably the most logical answer, from my vantage point of course......

Anyway, thanks for the link....These games have been on the market a while, I'm not sure a staggered launch will work well for something called the MC Collection, so there will be less incentive to buy the collection on day1 just because, but maybe it's not so much sales they're after here, but getting PC players geared for other games in the franchise or from MS like Halo 5 and Infinite...One thing I'll say though, and I've probably said it before...I always wondered why MS didn't release their games on steam, there's a bigger audience there and I prefer buying my games and expanding my library there......They took their time, but it's a great move finally, hopefully this is a sign that all future titles from MS come to steam as well......The Windows Store just needs work, you never know when there is a sale on there unless you enter the store, sometimes randomly just to check, there are very few AAA games there and the store front is kind of a mess.....Payment goes in like a jet though and security options are nice, but this store needs an overhaul and lots more content to be viable, so I'm sure they missed out on lots of sales they could have had on PC, if they did the Steam move much earlier....

Most of these games were console-only and never included such features. Even if they use some common DirectX API's, all of the above has to be retro-fitted into these games - not exactly something that you can do in a few weeks.

The only downside to that is it would have delayed the MCC update even more. I mean I get what you're saying, but this isn't the only thing they're working on. Don't forget that they enhanced Halo 5 for X and have Halo Infinite on the way, etc.

Releasing MCC the way they did was a major f-up but they did go get it right and it is (now) a great value if you're a halo fan.
Well at least it's coming, I hope they give PC players more graphical options, MODS should help with a steam version....Perhaps it's time to put the other games on steam as well, like the Forza's, Gears etc...

Top Bottom