• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection IS COMING TO PC and STEAM!!!!!

Phil is a man of his word, he's been saying he's bringing the 1st party catalog to PC and then doing tandem releases going forward. Couple that with Game Pass and you have a Microsoft that is leaning in heavily.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I guess that is kind of my point, its like they jailbroke their own console and don't want to address the 800lbs. Gorilla in the room. (I actually think we are in agreement though, or mostly so)

Like Stuart360 Stuart360 was saying though - Microsoft is doing this to expand their Xbox ecosystem and branding. The game is on Game Pass (and presumably will be available to Game Pass subscribers via the Windows Store) and requires an Xbox Live account - one step away from tempting users to upgrade to Gold. This is more about trying to make Windows PCs synonymous with Xbox than it is about releasing this one particular, well received, game. If all they were worried about was putting this on as many platforms as possible, they likely would have already contacted Sony, Nintendo, Google, etc and the announcement would likely reflect that.

They lose nothing by releasing it on Windows Store. They lose 30% of revenue by releasing it on Steam (potentially less under Valve's new guidelines) but again they probably have almost zero hours of additional work to make that happen. Whereas if they released it on Playstation or Switch, they would have to port the entire application to that platforms, and still lose 30% of any future revenues.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Well, I never said GamePass, Valve is not going to let Microsoft sell software from Steam via subscription without $$$$$ i.e. a cut. I'm talking the game, not there silly platform, they can't bring their silly platform to Steam either, not really.

There is nothing wrong with Microsoft selling games on Playstation, they already do. And some games require an account like EA does on some games, not sure what the difference is.

This really isn't that difficult.

The Steam version is tied to your XBL account.

Buy the game on Steam - Get access to the game through Steam, xCloud, Microsoft Store and Xbox console.

Buy Game Pass subscription or a MS device - Get access to the game through all of the above except Steam.

Ubisoft could easily have gone the same route for their games , but for some stupid reason their games have to be bought twice if you also want a standalone version on Uplay.

You need to step up your crusade towards hating Microsoft.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because Sony would take one look and be like "lol no we're not letting our direct competitor further their business by expanding onto our platform"
Exactly.

If Sony smells competition they lay down the hammer.

Just like EA Access. EA was offering a totally different sub plan with different games, features and price. And they banned it in favour of promoting their own PSN Now streaming service....... even publicly calling EA Access something like "not good value from EA"

EA charges $30/year for a plan with current gen games and some perks like 10% off discounts and early access play, and somehow that is bad value for $30/yr?

If PS is such a great ecosystem, things like crossplay and EA Access should be allowed. And why not? If Nintendo/Xbox/PC gamers played with PS gamers and see what awesome games and community PS has, surely they would ditch their platform and join the other 90 million PS4 gamers right?

Last edited:
Question is will the steam and windows store versions be broken messes for a year like the original. Took long enough for them to fix that version. I can imagine reworking it for WIN10 to cause unique problems.

Stuart360

Question is will the steam and windows store versions be broken messes for a year like the original. Took long enough for them to fix that version. I can imagine reworking it for WIN10 to cause unique problems.
As long as the campaigns work fine (and i believe the campaigns worked fine in the broken release right, it was just MP with the problem?), then thats all good by me.

Codes 208

Exactly, we're in agreement, so why wouldn't it come to Playstation? Its no different than battlenet or whatever for battlefield games, you make an account right in the game.
Sony won’t even play nice when it comes to cross-play, why would they even let a game like halo or gears come five feet of their library?
If I play mcc now on Xbox is it a broken mess? No? Then why would PC be all that different? The win10 games like gears and forza run fine as-is. it’s the store itself that has issues.

On top of that, 343i has dipped their toes in pc development ala halo 5 custom/forge for pc and halo wars.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Thag
That's what we see now. Pc games on Xbox stream. Hope Xbox hardware brand permanently dies now after this which it will.

We heard the same after play anywhere was announced. PC is not competing with consoles for the living room. Never have really.

Doesn’t matter how many GAFFers run HDMI cables from their offices to their dens. PC is dead in the living room. The customers for console and PC have a minuscule cross over and are otherwise completely distinct.

Hardware sales have grown quarter after quarter despite play anywhere. They will continue to do so and there is not a shred of evidence that play anywhere has decreased console sales. Common wisdom is common but seldomly accurate.

It’s like saying motorcycles are competing with pick up trucks. On a certain level sure but those are two totally different customers looking for two totally different experiences. It’s silly.

Stuart360

We heard the same after play anywhere was announced. PC is not competing with consoles for the living room. Never have really.

Doesn’t matter how many GAFFers run HDMI cables from their offices to their dens. PC is dead in the living room. The customers for console and PC have a minuscule cross over and are otherwise completely distinct.

Hardware sales have grown quarter after quarter despite play anywhere. They will continue to do so and there is not a shred of evidence that play anywhere has decreased console sales. Common wisdom is common but seldomly accurate.

It’s like saying motorcycles are competing with pick up trucks. On a certain level sure but those are two totally different customers looking for two totally different experiences. It’s silly.
Yeah its funny really. There are hardly any PC gamers that would buy a console anyway, none of the 'Master Race' ones anyway, and this silly notion that all the casual gamers (of which most gamers are, are sudden'y going to go out and buy PC's to play Xbox instead of the $300 consle, well its a stupid viewpoint.
The Xbox consoles are there for consle gamers, or people with a smaller budgets, or the people who simply wouldnt have the fist clue how to game on PC. Microsoft make their money from game sales, game licences, Live, othe services etc, NOT on console hardware sales, of which they make very little profit, if any. Expanding Xbox from soley a console, into an ecosystem, gives consumers more choice, and more chances of Microsoft selling games and service.

Fbh

Holy shit this is awesome!!!.
Recent rumours gave me hope for a PC release but I would have never expected them to release it on Steam too!!!

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Windows 7 gets Direct X 12 for World of Warcraft
Steam gets Halo but it's still most likely Windows 10 only

Figures. Oh well some though Steam Halo was impossible despite having spin off Halo games on there anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the console version and the pc version are based off the same back end, I’d say no since they fixed it. Xbox is Windows 10 also.

This is good news, and nice that it's available to Steam users too. I'm wondering if the online will be set up similar to Killer Instinct of Steam where it's cross-play with Xbox over Win10, but limited cross-play over Steam. I'm liking that they are releasing the game staggered so they can deal with issues over time instead of the giant pile-up of issues that MCC was when it first launched.

Stuart360

Windows 7 gets Direct X 12 for World of Warcraft
Steam gets Halo but it's still most likely Windows 10 only

Figures. Oh well some though Steam Halo was impossible despite having spin off Halo games on there anyways.
All the Xbox games that have been released on Steam so far have been Windows 7 and 8 compatible. In fact are there even any Windows 10 only games even on Steam?

nani17

are in a big trouble
887582FE3A063F884E08C5356260915C5E4396DD

Shifty1897

This is the smartest thing Microsoft has done in years. I'll drop sixty bucks for this on Steam without a second thought.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
All the Xbox games that have been released on Steam so far have been Windows 7 and 8 compatible. In fact are there even any Windows 10 only games even on Steam?
I thought I saw a few that didn't show 7 at all like Recore. Though some claim that works on 7 anyways so who knows.

Stuart360

I thought I saw a few that didn't show 7 at all like Recore. Though some claim that works on 7 anyways so who knows.
It still worked on 7, same with Sunset Overdrive. I think thats more to do with Microsoft wanting to push Windows 10, than anything else, and just dont mention 7 and 8 in the reccomended settings. All the games still work on 7 and 8.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Wait I just heard its a rolling release. One game at a time :messenger_pensive:

How long is the gap between each game? Does the gap get bigger if one games more buggy/broken?

Stuart360

Wait I just heard its a rolling release. One game at a time :messenger_pensive:

How long is the gap between each game? Does the gap get bigger if one games more buggy/broken?
Hopefully they release 1 month apart. Probably doubtful that but i suppose it depends how far along they are in development, no one knows for sure.

Stuart360

Man, unless the cross play is social and the settings are locked I don't see how that would be fair. I'd destroy using a mouse and keyboard with an ultrawide at 1440p. It would be like fighting grunts.
I have never understood with PC shooters why devs to make a simple algrythm that matches contoller users with other controller users, and M/K users with other M/K users.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Man, unless the cross play is social and the settings are locked I don't see how that would be fair. I'd destroy using a mouse and keyboard with an ultrawide at 1440p. It would be like fighting grunts.

People complain out on Sea of Thieve forums about that big time and that isn't even a real competitive type shooter, not sure about Gears of War 4, I thought they had matchmaking buckets for PC(?)

Last edited:
People complain out on Sea of Thieve forums about that big time and that isn't even a real competitive type shooter, not sure about Gears of War 4, I thought they had matchmaking buckets for PC(?)

I remember crossplay for co-op horde mode in Gears4 but that’s just PvE.

MCC could do similar approach for co-op campaign

DanielsM

Banned
This really isn't that difficult.

The Steam version is tied to your XBL account.

Buy the game on Steam - Get access to the game through Steam, xCloud, Microsoft Store and Xbox console.

Buy Game Pass subscription or a MS device - Get access to the game through all of the above except Steam.

Ubisoft could easily have gone the same route for their games , but for some stupid reason their games have to be bought twice if you also want a standalone version on Uplay.

You need to step up your crusade towards hating Microsoft.

Well, I have no hate against Microsoft, people framing things in the wrong context, yeah I got an issue with that. Most of my stuff is factual, with simple questions attached. I mean the "cloud gaming is great" crowd are very easy to deal with - you just ask what services they currently use. (like roaches running from a flashlight)

I actually welcome Microsoft to compete and if they can release good games on other devices I"m all for it if there isn't a string attached. I bet I'm the only one in this forum that owns 2 original Xboxes, 2 Xbox 360s, about 100+ Xbox games, a Windows Lumia 640 phone, and a Surface 3 Pro which I'm currently typing on. On any given day I support a ton of Microsoft products - so there is a little irony in your statement to me.

Last edited:
I'm buying this on Microsoft Store and Steam if they are separate They are getting my money regardless . I have waited a very long time for this. I still have unused Gamepass codes that I can use in the meanwhile.

Last edited:
Absolutely annoying to listen to, but funny at the same time. Halo still has a lot of love.

EDIT: I still can't believe Reach is coming to the collection. Like in my head, I thought there was zero chance of that ever happening. Just mind blown.

Last edited:

-MD-

Xbox nerds on twitter are insanely bitter over this announcement.

I think my favorite part of Xbox news is the meltdowns from their community.

Codes 208

Are they going to update the console version to include Reach as well? 🤔
I assume you didn’t see the other thread announcing reach coming to MCC correct?

If not, then yes. Reach is also coming the Xbox version (and there’s no real reason it wouldn’t anyway.)

Garnox

I assume you didn’t see the other thread announcing reach coming to MCC correct?

If not, then yes. Reach is also coming the Xbox version (and there’s no real reason it wouldn’t anyway.)

Poop, I try not to be one of those people who post prematurely without consulting readily available posts. Thanks for the reply 🤗

EDMIX

Steam? Damn, did not expect that :messenger_open_mouth:

I did. Been saying this for a while. Have most not really seen this whole "MS won't do this" only for them to do it?

We've heard the whole "MS won't put games on Mac though, thats only for Win 10" (puts games on MAC)
"Ok bruh, but you won't see them on Steam and if you do, they will just be indies, not like Halo or Forza" (Halo comes to Steam)

"OK, you have that, BUT it won't" (proceeds to move goal post)

I've said this and I'll say it again.....MS is seeking PC because they have no ode to keep games on 1 platform, you'll see them over time go from PC, to "steam" to Mac, to Nintendo, to Sony.

Sony and Nintendo can have platforms that move massive numbers on their exclusives, MS has tried and its just too much for the company, maybe third party makes more sense for MS, simply that many don't want to see that the company is headed in this direction.

I mean.....they even told you they are looking to put games on every platform last E3... Halo MCC on PC shouldn't really be a shock considering Halo Infinite is coming PC as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...maker-suggest-streaming-will-replace-consoles

"our goal: to bring high-quality games to every device possible on the planet.”

So they days of MS seeking to keep something on 1 device to sell the hardware is pretty much over and I think it might have been a bad idea that they kept trying to be Sony and Nintendo for so long clearly having a OS to also support. It would be like Nintendo having a handheld and not supporting a console or something.

So the handheld market makes sense for Nintendo to have exclusives
The home console market makes sense for Sony to have exclusives

It makes very little sense for MS to seek this for consoles if they clearly also have a OS.

Sony nor Nintendo have operating systems for PC to actually waste funds putting content on such platforms.

I played Halo:CE on the PC, Halo 2 on the OG Xbox, and Halo 3 on the 360. Never played the others because my 360 red ringed.
I'll rub my testicles all over this package day one. Speaking of red rings, I never got to play Gears 2 and 3 - so kindly ultimate edition those as well please.

Top Bottom