• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection IS COMING TO PC and STEAM!!!!!

Mattyp

Gold Member
They need to bring Halo 5 over too. Why have every other game on PC except 5?

I'm sure they will once MCC is completed or when Infinite is getting closer to launch. Or maybe not, the SP component is the weakest out of the lot and might sour some people on the next game. Even if the multiplayer is brilliant.

Dontero

Banned
You know you can keep saying that, it doesnt make it anymore true. Like i said, check the Steam forums if you think no one is hyped. Sales WILL prove you wrong.

Yeah i am sure of it. Bookmark this thread and you are free to come with numbers once it launches.

Codes 208

They need to bring Halo 5 over too. Why have every other game on PC except 5?
They really don’t. There’s nothing about 5 that “needs” to happen, or more specifically if there’s a game I could sweep under the rug and pretend never happened it would be halo 5. (And this fully knowing halo 4 and wars 2 exists.)

Edit: I suppose that’s excessively harsh. Suffice to say, the multiplayer is ok but the campaign (which is the biggest reason why I play halo) is mediocre at best.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

This pretty much sums up the Halo 5 campaign.
giphy.gif

manfestival

For those with the MCC currently: How do Halo 1 & 2 hold up? I never got around to playing them fully and have always wanted to do the campaigns. How long is every campaign? I know that games from 3 and on were short campaigns too. Also is there online coop? Like that I could play with some buddies rather than having to have a local experience(I don't mind but I don't want)

Havoc2049

In the MCC, Halo CE and Halo 2 are 2-player online co-op. Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, Reach and Halo 4 are all 4-player online co-op.

Like Halo 5, Halo Reach is a fireteam based 4 spartan co-op experience, even in single player mode. The big difference is that the friendly AI in Reach is actually good and the banter between your team is well written and fun to listen to. You actually care about your team in Reach. In Halo 5, the friendly AI is horrible and annoying and your team throws down a bunch of lame eye rolling dude bro lines. The only endearing character in Halo 5 is Buck.

I personally think the campaigns in Halo CE and Halo 2 hold up extremely well.

The length of each campaign is typical FPS fare, 8-20 hours. The length of all the campaigns depends on what difficulty you play at. Heroic difficulty generally has the best balance between challenge and fun factor. Normal is good if you just want to burn through the campaigns. Legendary is for those looking for a hardcore challenge. There is also LASO (Legendary with All Skulls On), but that is more just for hardcore LOLs with buddies, after completing the campaign, as you will die constantly and it disrupts the flow of the game. There is also easy, but that is mainly just for speed runs.

Last edited:

FireFly

I don't think the reasons you gave justifies a delay.....Things like multiple resolution support, XBOX gamepad support, Fov sliders etc are not reasons to delay an entire base of games already released....
The games are not released on PC though. Isn't it normal to take 6 months to port a single game to PC; let alone 6 games?

Anyway, the lesson from MCC was not just to thoroughly test products before releasing them, but also, not to take on too much complexity at once. Any time you release a new product there will be unexpected bugs, so if you multiply that by a factor of 6 you are just asking for trouble.

thelastword

Banned
The games are not released on PC though. Isn't it normal to take 6 months to port a single game to PC; let alone 6 games?

Anyway, the lesson from MCC was not just to thoroughly test products before releasing them, but also, not to take on too much complexity at once. Any time you release a new product there will be unexpected bugs, so if you multiply that by a factor of 6 you are just asking for trouble.
So how long do you estimate every successive game will follow, surely they should have a timeframe in mind? A week to see if all goes well with the first?, 2 weeks? 1 Month....?

Codes 208

For those with the MCC currently: How do Halo 1 & 2 hold up? I never got around to playing them fully and have always wanted to do the campaigns. How long is every campaign? I know that games from 3 and on were short campaigns too. Also is there online coop? Like that I could play with some buddies rather than having to have a local experience(I don't mind but I don't want)
-halo CE does feel a bit dated but still pretty solid at 60fps, halo 2 feels fairly modern honestly. Just don’t expect features like sprint until halo 4. (Or reach for pc I guess)
-campaigns very by difficulty and which game you play. More specifically on normal you can probably beat halo CE in around 10-14 hours. 2 in 12-15 hours. 3 and 4 in around 8-10 hours (these two are the shortest of the series barring possibly 5)
-online co-op exists and CE-2 are two player co-op while 3, ODST, reach and 4 allow 4 players.

When mcc first came out co-op was basically broken but it has since been fixed via the 4K update.

Salvatron

Flashbacks back to the 1999 Hype for halo on pc... then the let down it was to be console exlusive... now we're (sort-of) coming full circle.

Well, it seems they are going back the roots when it comes to the setting and the art style. Hopefully they go back to the roots on the gameplay department also. I don't know if they'll remove every modern addition, but I sure hope they remove sprint at least (hate the effect it has on gameplay flow and map design)
That is the big question. 343 has hinted that Halo infinite will go back to its roots, but just how much will they do away with from halo 5? Seems unlikely they would scrap everything.

Ive always argued that halo should be split into 2 different alternating release games, where one is classic game-play and one is whatever 343 wants to try out. If Infinite is really more open world, perhaps they could actually have different zones in the game where the game-play, mechanics, physics etc are different. Then all the classic halo fans could still get their fill in the classic zone while people who are fans of crazy abilities could get their fill in a more contemporary zone. It would basically require still making 2 separate games, techincally, at least for traditional matchmaking, but it could work. No one listens to me though 😃 i have great ideas. Hire me to be the integration manager of combining classic and contemporary halo for everyone!

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Flashbacks back to the 1999 Hype for halo on pc... then the let down it was to be console exlusive... now we're (sort-of) coming full circle.
The Dreamcast was betrayed.
4018097501_f89ae5e8ca_b.jpg

EDMIX

It's not the fact that it's on PC that's the surprise, it's that they ditched the Windows store for Steam.

Even that isn't a surprise, Quantum Break released on Steam store. Their goal is to make money and its clear they are testing WIndows Store to see if some IPs can pull more to their store, clearly its not working and they needed to go to where the people are vs the people coming to them.

They tried with XB, they tried with Windows Store and its just clear they need to be all in and not on this fence. So I saw them putting more on Steam all time ago since Fable, Quantum Break etc Whats the point of putting it on PC if its also in a place most won't buy? Them saying their goal is to be on EVERY DEVICE, was enough to realize STEAM, Nintendo, Sony, Apple etc are not restrictions and are not off limits. I didn't hear them saying "just phones" or "only on Windows store" or anything like that, so to me that sounds like they are opening to any and every.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Microsoft is so back and forward between releasing their games on Steam. Halo on Steam is great, but how about Forza and Halo? It's very hard to get UWP working with the Steam Link otherwise.

Even that isn't a surprise, Quantum Break released on Steam store. Their goal is to make money and its clear they are testing WIndows Store to see if some IPs can pull more to their store, clearly its not working and they needed to go to where the people are vs the people coming to them.

They tried with XB, they tried with Windows Store and its just clear they need to be all in and not on this fence. So I saw them putting more on Steam all time ago since Fable, Quantum Break etc Whats the point of putting it on PC if its also in a place most won't buy? Them saying their goal is to be on EVERY DEVICE, was enough to realize STEAM, Nintendo, Sony, Apple etc are not restrictions and are not off limits. I didn't hear them saying "just phones" or "only on Windows store" or anything like that, so to me that sounds like they are opening to any and every.

I just find it strange how they spent all that effort making that complicated UWP thing when all they needed to do was just simply make their own standalone store client. Doesn't even have to be that fancy, just make it functional like a normal game store like Origin and Uplay, with Win32 apps that doesn't require windows update to work. It would have been a success, because unlike the Epic game store they have enough of their own exclusives to generate interest. Instead now they just go for Steam instead? A huge missed opportunity I'd say.

Havoc2049

Looking forward to play co-op on Reach and going after the achievements. I wonder how 343 will handle the armor, as Reach used that experience system and had daily challenges as one of the ways to gain experience.

CyberPanda

Banned
Microsoft is so back and forward between releasing their games on Steam. Halo on Steam is great, but how about Forza and Halo? It's very hard to get UWP working with the Steam Link otherwise.
I’m sure those will come to Steam eventually. Microsoft is getting more and more open ever since Sataya took over.

Garnox

Aren't we suppose to get more information this weekend or something?

I’ve got two buds of mine at the SXSW gaming event and I’m hoping they can share some news about a possible release date, etc.

I really wanted to go since SX is in my backyard, but I went out of town.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I just find it strange how they spent all that effort making that complicated UWP thing when all they needed to do was just simply make their own standalone store client. Doesn't even have to be that fancy, just make it functional like a normal game store like Origin and Uplay, with Win32 apps that doesn't require windows update to work. It would have been a success, because unlike the Epic game store they have enough of their own exclusives to generate interest. Instead now they just go for Steam instead? A huge missed opportunity I'd say.

Well...maybe. I agree that MS LONG AGO should have started doing that but for what ever reason, they just can't get it right with PC (sad considering its their damn OS).

I think steam makes sense based on how MS has done on PC with their store. Should they have done what you stated day 1? 100%, but I agree with them putting their games on steam based on whats happening now vs what I wanted to happen years ago. Missed opportunity by them indeed.

Hudo

Ya, Halo was first announced at Mac World ‘99.

I remember that, yeah. I read about that version of Halo in gaming magazines when I was a little shit. I thought "Yeah, I love Myth! That looks like Myth with Sci-Fi stuff! Sign me up!"
However, I also love how Halo turned out at the end. It made me buy an OG Xbox and I don't regret it one bit! (Also Jet Set Radio Future and the Oddworld games helped a lot).

Garnox

My bud at SXSW just reported in to me.

“Okay we did get some 343 execs talking to us right now before the Halo championship game. Unfortunately it is pretty cryptic. Adding Reach “will be sooner than you may think” was the terminology. Though they don’t have a date on MCC for PC and they emphasized they announced so that they could get early testers engaged and that it will take time and it “will be ready when it’s ready”

Gamezone

Gold Member

Isn't the entire point with UWP that developers make one game that can be played on any Windows 10 device?

Salvatron

but it did come out for pc... in fact you can play it now... like right now ON PC
I was commenting on the journey from when I first heard of Halo in 99/00 pre-Xbox release to now. I remember seeing some clippings from a magazine with a different vision from what the game ended up becoming.

Top Bottom