• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I only got to play a few games of the Halo 3 beta, yet that beta tripmine and Warthog antics will live on forever.

The final mine, a pale imitator of the real thing, was still plenty of fun to use. Rat's Nest, me, that mine, those corners, and a full compliment of reckless enemies. Hours of explosive bliss.

I just watched that video. Ascension looks fucking gorgeous but the additions to Foundation look goddamn sketchy. Lift at sniper spawn? Wtf? And the jumps to Ring 3 were noobified. Sigh.

Isn't Foundation the terrible map that was used for zombies a lot in Halo 2 that was unlocked for most people through a title update? I don't think that map is being remastered for H2A is it? If so then what map are you talking about?

I've just realized this game is going to re ignite the Halo fanbase. So much value in one $60 game. I'm buying the Xbox One for this and i bet there are more like me

$59.99 O__O

Yep, I'm the same.

And I just know that within a year of me buying the console, the collection will be announced for PC. I'd wait and see, but it's motherfucking Halo.

He meant Sanctuary.

Oh, okay. I was kind of confused. I don't think that the jumps up to R3 being made easier will be game breaking, it will just create one more area to keep in mind when searching for enemies. It won't be like super jumps that create a much more unreasonable area necessary to cover when looking for the other team. As for the lift to sniper spawn, I like the addition personally. I never cared for the lack of escape route from shotgun spawn. Neither of these changes will be game breaking to me personally. I would prefer they tone down the on screen noise seen with the abundance of medals and juttering "pick up weapon" notifications. Halo CE/2 didn't need this back patting and hand holding for it to be fun and rewarding. Could we please revert to the thinking that there is beauty in simplicity?

Akai__

I hope not.

Halo needs more options anyways, so it would be great to see, if we could chose between NORMAL, RUMBLE and OFF, instead of ON and OFF. I prefer playing without vibration anyways, except for campaign maybe.

I also read somewhere, that you play better without vibration, because it has something to do with the brain and how it processes information. Not sure, if this is actually a fact or not though.

MAX PAYMENT

I very rarely get excited for games pre-release, but in definitely pumped for this one.

Halo blew my mind.
I wet to mid night releases for 2 and 3.
No regrets. One of the best game series of all time.

antigoon

I can't tell the difference between these 60 fps videos and any other Halo I've played and I feel like something is wrong with me.

I CAN'T SEE THE EXTRA FRAMES

EvB

I can't tell the difference between these 60 fps videos and any other Halo I've played and I feel like something is wrong with me.

I CAN'T SEE THE EXTRA FRAMES

I couldn't see any improvement when I was playing. But ithat was super obvious when I watched videos. I think I may have been concentrating too hard on playing

Tawpgun

Switching between halo games was pretty jarring, especially because of controls and halo 3 bullet travel and lag.

The unified control scheme will help, but my question is how does it feel going from halo 1 to halo 2 to halo 3 and so on.

Switching between halo games was pretty jarring, especially because of controls and halo 3 bullet travel and lag.

The unified control scheme will help, but my question is how does it feel going from halo 1 to halo 2 to halo 3 and so on.

probably feels like going from Halo 1 to 2 to 3
chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Neper

Neo Member
I've been replaying Halo CE Anniversary today and I have some unanswered questions for 343i. The OP does not contain info on who's taking care of the CEA port to XOne so I can't find answers by myself.

Do we know if they're patching some of the visual errors that came with the Anniversary graphics? I was playing Truth And Reconciliation today and I was aiming to a Grunt in a turret with the Sniper Rifle. I shot him but the bullet never seemed to impact (and the reticle was full blue), so then I switched to Classic mode and bam! there was a tree in my way, but it wasn't in the exact same position in Anniversary mode (although the scene collider was indeed correctly placed). And it happened to me again in Two Betrayals, I shot a missile to a Wraith in the battleground near the last reactor and it detonated right in my face, killing me. Went back there, switched to Classic and a big rock appeared in my way.

That's a really frustrating experience that ruins a little bit the original gameplay, and I would like to know if it will be somehow addressed in the final Halo CEA for the MCC.

Also, patching the texture load delay for the Anniversary graphics would be extra nice, since the extra power of the XOne can definitely achieve that.

sloshed

Neo Member
I've been replaying Halo CE Anniversary today and I have some unanswered questions for 343i. The OP does not contain info on who's taking care of the CEA port to XOne so I can't find answers by myself.

Do we know if they're patching some of the visual errors that came with the Anniversary graphics? I was playing Truth And Reconciliation today and I was aiming to a Grunt in a turret with the Sniper Rifle. I shot him but the bullet never seemed to impact (and the reticle was full blue), so then I switched to Classic mode and bam! there was a tree in my way, but it wasn't in the exact same position in Anniversary mode (although the scene collider was indeed correctly placed). And it happened to me again in Two Betrayals, I shot a missile to a Wraith in the battleground near the last reactor and it detonated right in my face, killing me. Went back there, switched to Classic and a big rock appeared in my way.

That's a really frustrating experience that ruins a little bit the original gameplay, and I would like to know if it will be somehow addressed in the final Halo CEA for the MCC.

Also, patching the texture load delay for the Anniversary graphics would be extra nice, since the extra power of the XOne can definitely achieve that.

I know that they've said there is virtually no load delay when switching between anniversary and classic modes in MCC.

Neper

Neo Member
I know that they've said there is virtually no load delay when switching between anniversary and classic modes in MCC.

No, I was talking about some texture streaming issue (similar to the first Gears of War). When you switch from Classic to Anniversary in CEA there are some textures (once the switch is over) that haven't loaded yet and take some extra seconds to appear.

Gestault

I'd actually like to see screens or footage of those instances, if you have any way to do that. I played quite a bit of Anniversary, and I never ran into places where barrier geometry didn't match up (though sometimes I'd switch back to original so I could make a shot without grass/foliage obstructing my view).

Neper

Neo Member
I'd actually like to see screens or footage of those instances, if you have any way to do that. I played quite a bit of Anniversary, and I never ran into places where barrier geometry didn't match up (though sometimes I'd switch back to original so I could make a shot without grass/foliage obstructing my view).

I don't have capture ways to show it here, but I'll do some research.

Neper

Neo Member

I only have this official info:

"As the original game's geometry was used as the basis for collisions, in some cases characters could appear to walk through or above terrain, weapons could drop through the ground, and bullets would appear to be deflected by nothing. The sheer number of these issues, combined with the desire to keep the original gameplay intact, forced Saber to use a variety of approaches to fix the problems, including making tools for artists to visualize height differences and creating intermediate geometry. In some cases, the artists developed other ways of keeping to the same collision data while updating the visuals by changing the actual object—turning a blocky, low-polygon rock into an angular Forerunner structure avoided the collision issues."

HTupolev

The best example I have on hand:

hallwaycompare.png

It's really insane for some outdoors environments, though; on the level Halo, there are loads of spots where the contact between cliff and ground is offset by what looks like several meters. Heck, try driving a warthog around through paths in the rockslide on that level. It's bad.

Neper

Neo Member

hallwaycompare.png

It's really insane for some outdoors environments, though; on the level Halo, there are loads of spots where the contact between cliff and ground is offset by what looks like several meters. Heck, try driving a warthog around through paths in the rockslide on that level. It's bad.

Yes, thanks for the screenshot. The level Halo has some dark spots as well, you're right.

HTupolev

I only have this official info:

"As the original game's geometry was used as the basis for collisions, in some cases characters could appear to walk through or above terrain, weapons could drop through the ground, and bullets would appear to be deflected by nothing. The sheer number of these issues, combined with the desire to keep the original gameplay intact, forced Saber to use a variety of approaches to fix the problems, including making tools for artists to visualize height differences and creating intermediate geometry. In some cases, the artists developed other ways of keeping to the same collision data while updating the visuals by changing the actual object—turning a blocky, low-polygon rock into an angular Forerunner structure avoided the collision issues."
They also started messing around with replacing the collision system, at least for player movement (shot trajectories are not affected). Movement collision is slightly less "glitchy" in CEA, and there are a few spots where there's player collision that actually corresponds to the new visuals and not the originals (a good example is the log bridge in 343GS, it's smooth in the original but there's a root across it in CEA that you slightly collide with while walking).

Neper

Neo Member
They also started messing around with replacing the collision system, at least for player movement (shot trajectories are not affected). Movement collision is slightly less "glitchy" in CEA, and there are a few spots where there's player collision that actually corresponds to the new visuals and not the originals (a good example is the log bridge in 343GS, it's smooth in the original but there's a root across it in CEA that you slightly collide with while walking).

Hope they dive again in that issue and fix it completely for the MCC.

Gestault

hallwaycompare.png

Thanks for the find

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom