• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffdraul

After playing almost every FPS that came down the pike from 1994 to 1998 and then completely burning out after forcing myself to complete Turok 2, I might never have played another FPS for the rest of my days if not for a little game called Halo finding its way into my life and teaching me how to love again. I've played all of the Halo SP campaigns a stupid number of times and I can't wait to start all over again on my XBone.

Halo 4 is my least favorite Halo, but that's not saying much. It's like picking my least favorite lay.

hawk2025

Dude, we've all been through the launch of the Orange Box.

This ain't rocket science, we know why people are excited about getting a good value. In that case, the package even had a few brand new games.

I'd like to know this as well. Could be jarring bouncing between teh Haloz, and I just want to play 2!

Didnt Frankie already say there were playlists for specific games? I could be wrong.

I'm hoping that they do their best to unify the controls so that those of us who enjoy hopping aren't too flustered each time the game switches.

MikeK

Neo Member
Well i´m no Fan, never owned a microsoft console but it´s one more reason to buy a X1. Not interested in MP, just wanna experience the singleplayer campaign.

Hope they do the same for gears, another one of those games on a very long list.

IpsO5.jpg

Gives me a chance to show off this bad boy.

TRI Mike

Halo 4 was definitely the worst of the franchise but honestly, when compared to the huge quantity of shitty shooters out there, it's a pretty cool game.

Mask

I sure wouldn't mind playing some Halo 1 MP with my brother. Tons of fun to be had, jumping Warthogs and trying to drive them into structures where they clearly didn't fit.

Hmm.. Gaf, would you say this would be worth buying for someone who doesn't play online? I'm contemplating grabbing an Xbone for this and the other stuff, but not subbing to Gold due
to already having a PS4 with PS+, so I would be using split-screen only. Enough value still there?

People who grew up playing Halo games online will all be reaching their teens soon. So it's a great time for them to look back and be nostalgic for their childhood.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Halo 4 campaign was fine though, right? Just the multiplayer kinda blew? Halo 4 campaign being in this compilation...nothing wrong with that.

Halo 4 campaign was pretty great outside of the prometheans

And the story wandering recklessly into the EU

Korosenai

I shed a single tear reading this thread. God bless you op.

Im 22 and ive been playing Halo since 2 back in 05. Halo has literally consumed over 1/3 of my life, so this collection will be bought and played so hard.

E92 M3

I love how Requiem was introduced in Halo 4; just wished the campaign had more natural environments and less ancient structures. Also, would've been amazing to travel to a new Halo. Can't wait to travel to a new Halo.

Admodieus

Wait, is it confirmed that the Halo CE multiplayer in this collection is just Halo CE + XBL? From my understanding, the version included in this game is Halo Anniversary Edition, which used Reach's multiplayer engine.

Really wish this game was coming out while I was still in high school. Just won't have as much time in my life to solely dedicate hours upon hours to Halo CE and 2. :(

RooMHM

Because people love buying the same games multiple times even if theres 0,1% of the new content.
Buying remakes is the best signal sent to industry creators. The BEST.

Mistel

Banned
Hmm.. Gaf, would you say this would be worth buying for someone who doesn't play online? I'm contemplating grabbing an Xbone for this and the other stuff, but not subbing to Gold due
to already having a PS4 with PS+, so I would be using split-screen only. Enough value still there?
There's still all of the campaigns and other modes so it might be if you enjoy things like forge, co-op, etc.

People who grew up playing Halo games online will all be reaching their teens soon. So it's a great time for them to look back and be nostalgic for their childhood.
The joke is super badly framed, it's insulting and doesn't resist the scrutiny of basic arithmetic. It's time to take a deep breath and move away, dude.

KMS

As a person getting and XBO this fall for exclusives and a lover of Halo 1-2 multiplayer I'm quite pumped up for it. At the same time I'm kinda worried that it could be a double edge sword. It will bring people to XBO but what happens if the competitive multiplayer base solidifies around the collection and future games fail to build healthy communties?

oatmeal

Banned
We're excited because 343 has proved they can't make a good new Halo, so we hope that they can just remake one that Bungie did.

People are excited because Halo 1-3 were each amazing games in their own right. I have such fond memories of blowing Warthogs to the moon in Halo 1, crazy Halo 2 multiplayer matches, and playing Halo 3 with so many GAFfers for days on end. I can't wait.

Mask

There's still all of the campaigns and other modes so it might be if you enjoy things like forge, co-op, etc.

Yeah, that would suit me just fine. I figured they might remove the offline co-op to force people onto Gold, but that's good if they haven't.

Muffdraul

Because people love buying the same games multiple times even if theres 0,1% of the new content.
Buying remakes is the best signal sent to industry creators. The BEST.

I still enjoy playing the originals. but it'd be a lot more convenient if I could do so on my current gen console. Now I can. And they're going to be tarted up as well. I win.

Iorv3th

Yep Halo series was very big for me and my buddies. Spent a lot of time on it and am considering picking up a one for this.

Magwik

Banned
For those who don't understand why Halo 4 is considered to be such a poor game:
This is the bottom line.

Juices over in the Community side once said something that described the fundamental problem with what 343 did in making Halo 4. To paraphrase, they were chasing a group of players they are never going to catch - CoD - and lost Halo fans along the way. Now they've got almost no one.

I loved Halo, passionately. It was the reason, alone, I bought a 360. I put more time into Halo 3 than any other game, ever, until that time. Nightly romps in matchmaking, GAF custom game nights, picture stories (and later, video) were swapped daily. I made the GAF OT's for the Halo 3 Beta, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Reach, Halo: CEA and Halo 4.

I gave Halo 4 away for free to a GAFer a few months after it came out, after not playing it for a few months before that. (Foolishly, I had bought the LE; I never redeemed the codes that came with it, and gave those away, too.) I'm buying a PS4 for next gen and will never own a new Halo game. The game is that bad.

343's first and biggest mistake was failing utterly to understand what made Halo, Halo.

Exhibit A: Instant respawn. Halo's combat is designed around a certain pacing. There's a cadence of combat, reprieve, shield recharge, and then re-engagement. Getting cleaned up by that guy you just killed because they respawned instantly, before your shields could recharge broke that cadence entirely.

Exhibit B: Global and Personal Ordnance. Goodbye, map control. Goodbye, rallying your team by securing that rocket launcher and taking out a vehicle. Goodbye, knowing what power weapons the other team has. Goodbye, any semblance or pretension of balance. Goodbye, fun.

Exhibit C: Flinch. Through the rise of CoD, Battlefield and other shooters, Halo has always been the game that prioritized combat clarity. It was the game that didn't screw with your ability to see during combat: no aim down sights, no strawberry jelly on the screen, no visual impairment from explosions. It was also that game that didn't add layers of interference and pushback to its weapon mechanics. Targeting reticule are stable as you move, (used to be) stable when firing, and stable when you were hit. The skill was learning how to use weapons, when to use them, and how to survive encounters of longer than normal duration.

Between the long range of the DMR and the addition of flinch, much of the combat was reduced to grappling with a bucking targeting reticule. That's not fun, or balanced, in any way. It's frustrating. It's my most hated addition to the game, over and above the horribleness that is....

Exhibit D: Perks. Prior to Reach, when you shot someone, or began an action, you could expect a certain action to follow it. I know I can four shot this guy; I know a grenade will strip shields and a head shot will kill. I know this dudes movement options, and that I have him cornered. I know if I get the jump on someone I have the advantage.

Enter perks, and all that goes out the window. When I EMP this vehicle, I wonder how effective it will be? When I engage this guy with the DMR, I wonder how stable his reticle is compared to mine? I wonder how fast this guy's shields recharge, or how fast he can reload, or how many shots he takes to kill? It breaks our ability to mange combat and make smart decisions, and reduces a lot of it to dumb luck. Shucks, I didn't think he had Stability on. Oh well! Better luck next time; maybe I'll run into some dudes where my perk selections give me the leg up next time.

And then they compounded perks, as other systems introduce problems. Hmm, adding the plasma pistol to loadouts totally breaks the vehicle balance. Let's add a perk to reduce the EMP stun! Let's add a mechanic like flinch - removing de-scoping for some reason - and then bring in a perk to partly offset it. Because balance or something.

Just one layer after another of decisions diametrically opposed to Halo's core combat design. Strip all of it away, and that core is pretty good. But you don't play the core, you play it all, and it was a terrible, unfun experience. The population flight looks like throngs of people buying the game, and then recoiling from it in response.

I'm ignoring the campaign, the horrible UI, the awfulness that was Spartan Ops (though to be fair I only played the first three episodes) and the gimped feature set (RIP campaign Theater), not to mention the poor post-launch support (which Fyre covered in the superb OP). But those are surely factors as well.

I hope Halo 5 goes back to Halo's roots and is aimed at Halo fans rather than trying to poach features of other games. But those DLC perks do not inspire confidence.

As a person getting and XBO this fall for exclusives and a lover of Halo 1-2 multiplayer I'm quite pumped up for it. At the same time I'm kinda worried that it could be a double edge sword. It will bring people to XBO but what happens if the competitive multiplayer base solidifies around the collection and future games fail to build healthy communties?

I think I couldn't seriously care less to be honest. Call me a pessimist but I can't see 343 getting Halo right like Bungie did. I know they're in charge of this collection but everything is basically handed to them, they just have to execute it right. I'll give them another chance with Halo 5 but would much rather see this collection top the XBL charts for the entire One's lifespan.

I'm excited because I haven't played more than a few hours of Halo as a franchise. Been thinking about marathon-ing through it and this gives me a good way to do it without hooking up old consoles. Also, even though I barely played it, bringing back Halo 2 mp is such a good idea. Nobody does shit like that. Really good to see.

Fatmanp

The downside of this collection is that fans of Halo 3 are going to get a serious reality check of just how much a watered down version of Halo 2 it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom