• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D6XasoL.png

Get Hype!!!

nillapuddin

I almost wish forge didn't exist. Later in the life of a halo game all you get in MM is ugly forge maps.

This is great news. I never look forward to forge maps coming up in playlists.

MORENO-TEARS.gif

It'd be nice if all the stats carried over.

I mean, they literally have them. On servers they own. The data exists and is tied to your gamertag.

Would anybody care if they just unlocked everything for everybody, all armors all weapons etc?

Honestly it seems like that would just be the least amount of fuss

1. Get rid of every existing ranking and leveling system.

2. Just focus on full unlocked player customization, and skill based ranking.

It shouldnt be about regrinding to get all the same gear we've had for years, it should be about playing the game, when and how we want to.

Its a celebration of Halo, the only acquirable additions to the game should be completely new content.

I almost wish forge didn't exist. Later in the life of a halo game all you get in MM is ugly forge maps.

There's something off-putting about Forge maps, especially in Halo 3 and Reach, where all the maps, whilst different in design, looked the same. The same muddy brown (Halo 3), grey (Reach) and white (Halo 4) colour palette. It would be amazing if Forge was sophisticated enough to give you the tools to create something as diverse as Reflection, Heretic or Guardian from scratch but we'll probably not be going there anytime soon as far as consoles go.

FyreWulff

There's something off-putting about Forge maps, especially in Halo 3 and Reach, where all the maps, whilst different in design, looked the same. The same muddy brown (Halo 3), grey (Reach) and white (Halo 4) colour palette. It would be amazing if Forge was sophisticated enough to give you the tools to create something as diverse as Reflection, Heretic or Guardian from scratch but we'll probably not be going there anytime soon as far as consoles go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbD9l3hje3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sIQTroocY8

On console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvE-Xl_U5Rs

On the original Xbox

Simbo

Neo Member
At E3 they said Halo 2 was getting "the full anniversary treatment". Has there been any word yet on whether H2 will have the 3D option like in CE?

I absolutely loved playing through CE in 3D and I've got my fingers crossed I'll be able to do the same with H2.

Stinkles?

FyreWulff

At E3 they said Halo 2 was getting "the full anniversary treatment". Has there been any word yet on whether H2 will have the 3D option like in CE?

I absolutely loved playing through CE in 3D and I've got my fingers crossed I'll be able to do the same with H2.

Stinkles?

We don't even know if CEA retains it's 3D. Even though it's unrelated, 3D Blu Ray playback isn't even supported on the Xbone or PS4.

Chitown B

Stinkles?

I had no idea you could do that. I have a 3DTV and Halo CEA.

Simbo

Neo Member
mine's active shutter glasses. Is that what you need (i.e. Batman Arkham City)?

The type of 3D (active or passive) has no bearing on whether or not you can play it in 3D.....it is simply the way your TV delivers the 3D image. All you have to do is enable the 3D option in the Halo menu and your TV will then either pick up the 3D signal automatically or you may need to switch manually, put your glasses on and you're good to go.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
You should play through it again in 3D......it's absolutely incredible.

Hopefully Stinkles will see this and comment.

No 3D. Bandwidth being used for normal content improvements. Buffer doesn't work quite the same way on Xbone, so there's no "freebie" - and it was underused, to put it mildly. Although I agree it looks cool - the slower projectiles in particular look amazing coming at yo face.

Chitown B

The type of 3D (active or passive) has no bearing on whether or not you can play it in 3D.....it is simply the way your TV delivers the 3D image. All you have to do is enable the 3D option in the Halo menu and your TV will then either pick up the 3D signal automatically or you may need to switch manually, put your glasses on and you're good to go.

thanks. I just 1000G the game but I might do a couple levels to check it out.

Simbo

Neo Member
No 3D. Bandwidth being used for normal content improvements. Buffer doesn't work quite the same way on Xbone, so there's no "freebie" - and it was underused, to put it mildly. Although I agree it looks cool - the slower projectiles in particular look amazing coming at yo face.

That's a great shame.

I appreciate the reply though, thanks.

That really is the major problem with Forge maps and I don't think there's an easy solution. If you have massive variety in assets then that not only requires a lot of work, but you also have to consider storage/memory.

I think the solution I would go for is to create several Forge sandboxes with completely different visual themes in different locations, and allowing greater variety in textures/colours. For instance, imagine if you could choose different stone textures on Sandbox, and colour them far more to differentiate them.

Containing them within their own map helps alleviate the need to load so many different object types at once. The downside is that it requires more work from artists, and you'd lose the ability to have massive maps as seen in Forge World.

The alternative is a powerful map editor like we've seen in Far Cry. I think it would be really interesting to see what players could do with that, but doubt we'll see it.

El_Chino

Elaborate please lol

Karl2177

Just for clarification, there is or isn't 3D for CEA in the MCC?

halo_4_79.jpg

Halo-5-Screenshots-16.jpg

halo_4_68.jpg

Am I wrong to suspect that Halo 4 at 1080p, 60fps is going to put a lot of current-gen games to shame?

And Frankie, any word on audio improvements for Halo 4? The sound compression hurts, a lot.

Am I wrong to suspect that Halo 4 at 1080p, 60fps is going to put a lot of current-gen games to shame?

Not at all. I can't count how many times I just had to stand still and admire the visuals in Halo 4. Way more than any other game, that's for sure. The first level in particular, but I also love pretty much any Forerunner heavy area. I know people like to rag on 343i for changing up the Forerunner aesthetics a bit (though honestly they changed in basically every single game) but I thought those areas were incredible.

maneil99

halo_4_79.jpg

halo_4_68.jpg

And Frankie, any word on audio improvements for Halo 4? The sound compression hurts, a lot.
I can't think of any next gen fps game that would be put to shame by those

Welfare

Probably not. Halo 4 already looks and feels great at 720p 30fps, it will only get better @ 1080p 60fps. Didn't 343 also say that Halo 4 will get extra effects that couldn't be activated on 360, or am I misremembering?

DJ88

Oh god, I had forgotten about that. I seriously thought something was wrong with my home theater setup on launch day. There was just no way the game was supposed to sound like that.

On the topic of better forge. I always assumed it was never far cry 3 grade or over the top due to the fear that people would make maps better than the dlc and that might hurt dlc sales or something like that. I do agree that it sucks not being able to find dlc ever since the implementation has been so bad in halo games.

Hopefully the free after a certain period of time + mandatory download can become a thing so we can enjoy the content we paid for in mm more than 5% of the time =(

Also has co op been confirmed on dedicated servers or not still? The though of input lag turns me off to even attempting difficult co op missions online -.-

halo_4_79.jpg

halo_4_68.jpg

A higher resolution is only going to make the low res textures, the bad skyboxes and the horrible LOD system even more noticeable. Games like Ryse and Killzone Shadowfall look A LOT better than Halo 4 and it doesn't even come close to comparing to games like Quantum Break, The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4. Most cross gen games also look quite a bit better than Halo 4, for example Destiny.

Dub117

Probably not. Halo 4 already looks and feels great at 720p 30fps, it will only get better @ 1080p 60fps. Didn't 343 also say that Halo 4 will get extra effects that couldn't be activated on 360, or am I misremembering?
They said you can see more of the particles and stuff that the 360 didn't have the balls for I think. More depth.

Unity2012

You should play through it again in 3D......it's absolutely incredible.

Sad to hear there wont be 3D support. Halo CEA in 3D is quite the experience.

Also, I'm not sure why some people expect the games to look worse on 1080p/60 than they did on 720; I want to believe 343i is confident the results of the upgrade are positive and not detrimental to the project.

It is not a remake, except for H1A and H2A but still an improvement over the last gen versions.

I hope we get more info at SDCC.

OverHeat

« generous god »
A higher resolution is only going to make the low res textures, the bad skyboxes and the horrible LOD system even more noticeable. Games like Ryse and Killzone Shadowfall look A LOT better than Halo 4 and it doesn't even come close to comparing to games like Quantum Break, The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4. Most cross gen games also look quite a bit better than Halo 4, for example Destiny.
I'm sure they will switch the skybox to high res one.

So over the past couple of days, a player named Missingno has been uploading competitive H1 matches with commentary. These really show off the depth and complexity of that game, and I recommend anyone who was never able to get into H1 give them a watch. Maybe it'll get you more interested in H1 for MCC :]

Damnation 2v2

Chill Out 2v2

Prisoner 2v2

Hang 'Em High 2v2

good vids. Never played H1 multi, but bungie took a giant leap going from this to H2

wwm0nkey

I'm sure they will switch the skybox to high res one.

I really doubt that to be honest. Its just a port job, not a replace a shit load of assets job.

Somethings will look a lot better thanks to the 1080p job but you will also notice more things that were hidden in the lower res.

It'll still look great though.

I really doubt that to be honest. Its just a port job, not a replace a shit load of assets job.

Somethings will look a lot better thanks to the 1080p job but you will also notice more things that were hidden in the lower res.

It'll still look great though.

Yeah, the only two things I can actually see them improving are the AF and the really bad LOD, and those two things alone will go a long way to making the game look better, but the low res textures and bad skyboxes are going to become a lot more obvious.
Also just putting in "higher res" versions of the skyboxes wouldn't really do much, the biggest problem with them is that they are largely made up of 2D assets as opposed to the 3D skyboxes of Halo 3, ODST, Reach and CEA. Hell, there is even going to be a weird juxtaposition caused by the Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer maps because they are using the Halo 4 artstyle and similar lighting, but they (at least judging by Ascension) have much higher res textures and skyboxes that blow all previous Halo games out of the water. I mean seriously, Ascension's Anniversary skybox is mind blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom