• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl2177

Sniper kill medals are only awarded if you get a headshot I think?

Halo 3, ODST, and Reach have this behavior. Halo 2*, Halo 4, and it appears H2A has the behavior of giving the medal when it is simply a kill with the Sniper Rifle.

*Halo 2 also gave it for Beam Rifle kills.

Frank: not sure if it is a bug, if it has been overlooked or what the case is, but the kill feed only shows "killed (by)". I know titles since Halo 2 showed "sniped (by)"/"stuck (by)/etc. Will this be included for H2A's retail multiplayer?

Madness

60Hz is so awesome, this is gonna be fuckin' glorious.

After 343i going with 60fps on Halo 5 & MCC I wish more of MS's 1st party devs to follow suit, especially Black Tusk with Gears. :D

Gears is much harder, not only because it's third party, but that they also have to make sure the character models are fully detailed at all times. I mean, Gears has always been a looker of a game. Will just be too tough to pull out the best graphics and be 60 frames. Look at Infamous second son for comparison. I think Gears will be 1080p/30.

I can't wait to see how it's impacted the older Halo games most of all. What it'll be like when the brute choppers and BTB action on sandtrap gets heavy in Halo 3 etc.

What would people feel if for Halo 5 campaign, it wasn't 60 fps, but only 30 but they tried to make it that much intense in terms of visual fidelity?

Gears is much harder, not only because it's third party, but that they also have to make sure the character models are fully detailed at all times. I mean, Gears has always been a looker of a game. Will just be too tough to pull out the best graphics and be 60 frames. Look at Infamous second son for comparison. I think Gears will be 1080p/30.

I can't wait to see how it's impacted the older Halo games most of all. What it'll be like when the brute choppers and BTB action on sandtrap gets heavy in Halo 3 etc.

What would people feel if for Halo 5 campaign, it wasn't 60 fps, but only 30 but they tried to make it that much intense in terms of visual fidelity?

I would probably not buy it after playing 4 other Halo games at 60fps. You don't go back once you've been there.

Give me 60 or give me death.

Madness

I would probably not buy it after playing 4 other Halo games at 60fps. You don't go back once you've been there.

Give me 60 or give me death.

I meant that the multi-player is 60 fps, but the campaign isn't. It's not a direct comparison, because you are playing 4 older games now 60 fps on a newer console. There is no way they could have gotten the visuals of Halo 3 or Halo 4 on Xbox 360 and locked framerate at 60.

My point being, would you want an amazing and memorable campaign, that's look ridiculously good but is 30 fps, or keep it 60 but sacrifice on visual fidelity. Is 60 fps just as important for campaign as it is for multi-player?

Leyasu

Banned
I meant that the multi-player is 60 fps, but the campaign isn't. It's not a direct comparison, because you are playing 4 older games now 60 fps on a newer console. There is no way they could have gotten the visuals of Halo 3 or Halo 4 on Xbox 360 and locked framerate at 60.

My point being, would you want an amazing and memorable campaign, that's look ridiculously good but is 30 fps, or keep it 60 but sacrifice on visual fidelity. Is 60 fps just as important for campaign as it is for multi-player?

I could easily live with a 30fps campaign and a 60fps multi

It's so weird seeing all this Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer because the UI, animations, and gameplay all look like a strange mix and match of Halo 4 and 2 with some new stuff sprinkled in. Either way, it looks fantastic and I'm glad 343 are going the extra mile, creating this new engine and sounds just for 6 mp maps.

PooBone

The best example I have on hand:

hallwaycompare.png

It's really insane for some outdoors environments, though; on the level Halo, there are loads of spots where the contact between cliff and ground is offset by what looks like several meters. Heck, try driving a warthog around through paths in the rockslide on that level. It's bad.

You are 100% right. There's several instances (almost always in Truth and Reconciliation, or when you return in Keyes) where you could get shot through or shoot through corners. Switching to classic would reveal no such geometry where Anniversary had placed some. Not a huge deal but still.... what a pain.

HTupolev

I've never really understood the argument that it isn't. Especially if we're discussing the issue of how the controls feel at their core.

60 is more important for me, And this MCC is the first time I'm playing all the campaigns anyway (never owned an Xbox, don't pay for Live, sold Halo 4 because I wanted Animal Crossing instead).

I'd prefer 60fps in the campaign because 60fps feels so much better and control > pretty.

bidguy

Banned
60 is more important for me, And this MCC is the first time I'm playing all the campaigns anyway (never owned an Xbox, don't pay for Live, sold Halo 4 because I wanted Animal Crossing instead).

I'd prefer 60fps in the campaign because 60fps feels so much better and control > pretty.

i envy you

Hm... And it wasn't redundant with the SMG?
The SMG's unique properties distinguish enough from the AR IMO.
  • Shoots faster
  • Wrecks Banshees (doesn't have to make sense, it just gives another benefit to the SMG (ie: CE quick Camo w/ AR))
  • Dual wield
You could tweak other things like range, give the SMG a scope and place it on BTB maps since H5 won't have dual wielding, etc.

EDIT:
i envy you

hahah Yeah seriously, Crimsonclaw's in for a lot of fun!

Kampfheld

Banned
Hm... And it wasn't redundant with the SMG?

Nah. AR felt like a much better, stronger weapon. I think they handle it like a "premium-weapon" (don't know how to call it), that actually gives you some short-medium ranged map control. I used it a lot on Sanctuary and I think i have not lost one head-to-head duel on medium range.

Madness

i envy you

I don't, only because it'll never be as special or as great as when they first came out. It's one thing watching Star Wars as a kid in 1977 and watching it as a kid in 2007 you know?

So even playing this campaigns again, the multi-player, they'll pale in comparison to when you first stepped foot on the land in CE and looked around. When you played Xbox Live in Halo 2 and made lifelong friends, when you wait in line for Halo 3 and finish the fight etc.

People who haven't played them will still enjoy the heck out of them, but there's something they'll never have than playing them when they were out no?

I don't, only because it'll never be as special or as great as when they first came out. It's one thing watching Star Wars as a kid in 1977 and watching it as a kid in 2007 you know?

So even playing this campaigns again, the multi-player, they'll pale in comparison to when you first stepped foot on the land in CE and looked around. When you played Xbox Live in Halo 2 and made lifelong friends, when you wait in line for Halo 3 and finish the fight etc.

People who haven't played them will still enjoy the heck out of them, but there's something they'll never have than playing them when they were out no?

Well I'll be able to play them all in a row without waiting years in between, so there's that :p

Gears is much harder, not only because it's third party, but that they also have to make sure the character models are fully detailed at all times. I mean, Gears has always been a looker of a game. Will just be too tough to pull out the best graphics and be 60 frames.

I have great news for you on Gears being 3rd party...

Also, is not hard to make Gears look great and also run at 60fps. It's all about the sacrifice they can make to do so.

dwells

It's WIP but I'm surprised you didn't find it crisp. What was the TV sitch?

Even the official screenshots on the Xbox Wire don't look crisp. I'm guessing you guys are running an FXAA implementation, and a rather aggressive one at that? That's how it looks to me, same type of general blurring/softness that you see in titles where the FXAA hits a little too hard. For that reason, I'm a big believer in SMAA if a post-process AA approach is desired.

IAlso I just saw a REALLY simple, enumerable example of the IQ increase on Guardian, H3. On the 360 version, I was looking at some moss hanging from a vine - there were four fronds of moss dangling vertically. On the Xbone version, there were nine. Same object, same viewpoint, just more detail actually appearing in the screenspace.

So does this mean that max LOD is being forced in the ports? It would be nice to have high quality textures and models at all times and no pop-in...

I need nerdy details on the graphics engine, porting process, network code, etc! Just make a two hour ViDoc dedicated strictly to that stuff - I and the four other people who watch it will love it.

Also, is not hard to make Gears look great and also run at 60fps. It's all about the sacrifice they can make to do so.

It would be lovely to see an Xbox One Gears of War 4 running at 60 FPS, but I don't see it happening. I think they will push the visuals as much as possible at 1080p30.

Monocle

I would really like to see the atmosphere of ODST remastered.

Another stealth noir Halo would be awesome. Next gen lighting with weather would be amazing.
Hoping my buddy can get a One someone soon.
Got him to play ODST, Reach and 4. But his arcade couldn't play 3 and he never picked up Annie.
This would be the greatest thing.

dwells

Playing with radar. The 343 is strong in these ones.

Yeah, it hurt a little to see radar on in a pro 2v2 scrim. Also, looks like Ghost was getting a bit cocky with some of the challenges he made in that first Sanctuary game.

But hey, it's better than a lot of the other footage. Much of it was just tough to watch seeing lesser skilled players make bad decisions.

Madness

Shit, meant to say third person. Much harder for intensive third person games to hit 60 FPS and still be as good a looker as they usually are. Imagine keeping the visuals of The Division, Infamous, and being 60, maybe later on in the console Gen it's possible.

RyudBoy

Other than the Sanctuary remake video shown at Gamescom the other day, I haven't seen many new Halo MCC videos.

Are there ANY 1080p60 videos available? If so, please direct me to them. Thanks!

so anyone down to see another Halo ODST game? i really loved Halo 3: ODST and think it would be cool for 343i to give the mainline Halo games a break after Halo 5, so another ODST game would be dope.

Neper

Neo Member
so anyone down to see another Halo ODST game? i really loved Halo 3: ODST and think it would be cool for 343i to give the mainline Halo games a break after Halo 5, so another ODST game would be dope.

It would totally kick ass, it's one of my favorite entries in the franchise. I loved the tone of the game, its music, the storytelling, the gameplay... and I really enjoyed its Firefight more than Reach's.

Human_me

Another ODST would be great, Though I would just be happy if they ported the original to Xbox One.

It would totally kick ass, it's one of my favorite entries in the franchise. I loved the tone of the game, its music, the storytelling, the gameplay... and I really enjoyed its Firefight more than Reach's.

the music was on point, loved the tone and color palet of the game as well. and your right, firefight in ODST was excellent, some of the maps for firefight made for such fun gameplay with friends.

Another ODST would be great, Though I would just be happy if they ported the original to Xbox One.

hell yeah! a standalone Xbox One port would be fine.

Akai__

They don't have to. Everyone was able to participate and a few of the teams kicked some MLG pros like Enable or Formal in the ass. I mean seriously, they crushed them.

Yep and I love upsets like this. Not because I want to see the pros being beaten, but because it's borring if a pro team wins over and over again. This is so much better, than the 1vs1 championship 343i held, in my opinion.

I would like to see another one, but it would need to be given some serious rethinking. Give us a world worth exploring, characters that really play and feel like different individuals, and multiple ways to approach every encounter, a la Deus Ex, and it might turn into something special. The first game had great atmosphere, but its ideas felt half-baked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom