• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzlpablo

Neo Member
My 2c on Datacentres:

1c: It makes no sense to automatically restrict your MM search to a specific DC. Microsoft's Sydney and Melbourne DC's, for example, can probably ping each other in less than 5ms. I doubt anyone would notice a difference, even if they live next door to one and got connected to the other. Having an option for regional preference makes much more sense.

2c: It would be absolutely bloody marvelous if you could choose a DC for custom games, especially for the competitive community. Imagine if you had a team in California playing a team in New York, and they could choose a DC in Dallas. Host advantage would be a thing of the past. Even teams from different countries could choose a host halfway between each country - probably would still be a little laggy but would be equally laggy for everyone.

Edit: Oh and can people PLEASE STOP making idle threats about what you'd do if your favourite playlist isn't live at launch. Just chillax, let it happen, they know what they're doing. As long as H:CE 2v2 is live at launch we'll be fine, otherwise I will murder you all with my face.

Datacenters are a big concern for me too, as an EU player i always scratched my head why the Halo Matchmaking across all its titles traditionally put me into games with quite some US or UAE players despite me ticking the box for "prefer regional/good connection Matchmaking"

dont get me wrong, the games still played good, but im sure they would have played even better when only facing players from lets say 400-500km radius around me
i mean some of those players in my lobbies were 1000-2000km away from me!

actually im anything else than a big fan of Matchmaking, personally i find playing my favourite maps and modes much more important than playing against people the matchmaking thinks are skill-wise equal to me (which they usually arent tbh)
343i, give us a real serverbrowser and allow us to rent servers! :)

Leyasu

Banned
My 2c on Datacentres:

1c: It makes no sense to automatically restrict your MM search to a specific DC. Microsoft's Sydney and Melbourne DC's, for example, can probably ping each other in less than 5ms. I doubt anyone would notice a difference, even if they live next door to one and got connected to the other. Having an option for regional preference makes much more sense.

2c: It would be absolutely bloody marvelous if you could choose a DC for custom games, especially for the competitive community. Imagine if you had a team in California playing a team in New York, and they could choose a DC in Dallas. Host advantage would be a thing of the past. Even teams from different countries could choose a host halfway between each country - probably would still be a little laggy but would be equally laggy for everyone.

Edit: Oh and can people PLEASE STOP making idle threats about what you'd do if your favourite playlist isn't live at launch. Just chillax, let it happen, they know what they're doing. As long as H:CE 2v2 is live at launch we'll be fine, otherwise I will murder you all with my face.

The Sydney and Melbourne examples you give are solid. But just for Australians. Anyone else and they would be a lag fest. Same as EU players playing on US servers or vce versa. That is why it is a must that we get the option to choose where we matchmake.. Even if it just for social.

and your second point is what titanfall does as well. You can set-up a custom game in the datacenter of your choosing!! So much win in titanfalls on-line.

Halo will become god tier if it adopts the same imo

My 2c on Datacentres:

While I absolutely agree people need to relax, history has shown that they do not always "know what they are doing."

My friends and I waited for BTB objective on Halo 4 for months and never saw it.

Looking at the game run in 1080p@60fps - makes me sad that destiny couldn't achieve that on current gen - you can instantly noticed the difference, with how much faster and fluid everything is.

MysteryM

The Sydney and Melbourne examples you give are solid. But just for Australians. Anyone else and they would be a lag fest. Same as EU players playing on US servers or vce versa. That is why it is a must that we get the option to choose where we matchmake.. Even if it just for social.

I'd be happy to take the slight lag hit and play with americans instead of british players (i'm english). I just find american players better to have a banter with and end up using comms far more than british players.

Looking at the game run in 1080p@60fps - makes me sad that destiny couldn't achieve that on current gen - you can instantly noticed the difference, with how much faster and fluid everything is.

Yup. While I don't like Destiny for several reasons (spent hours in Alpha and Beta), the frame rate really put me off. After playing games like Counter Strike Global Offensive at 60+ fps, 30fps just feels like I'm visually impaired. Digital Foundry said there were some repeating frames in Destiny and I'm one of those blessed/cursed folks that could see and feel the repeated frames.

Good to know 343 knows what's up. 60fps is the way to go.

malfcn

Np1zBBH.gif

So soon.

Glassboy

I'm buying a second xbox one this fall exclusively for system linking halo 1&2. I hope to get a lot of 4v4s on at my place. I cannot wait to see some more footage for all 4 games.

darthbob

Yup. While I don't like Destiny for several reasons (spent hours in Alpha and Beta), the frame rate really put me off. After playing games like Counter Strike Global Offensive at 60+ fps, 30fps just feels like I'm visually impaired. Digital Foundry said there were some repeating frames in Destiny and I'm one of those blessed/cursed folks that could see and feel the repeated frames.

Good to know 343 knows what's up. 60fps is the way to go.

That issue, which has been present since Halo 3, was resolved during the Destiny Beta with a patch.

That issue, which has been present since Halo 3, was resolved during the Destiny Beta with a patch.

Good to know--the beta did feel a bit better framerate wise and thought it was due to motion blur covering up the blemishes.

Any word on if Halo 2A multiplayer will get rid of those game breaking grenade indicators and hit markers? They need to be gone pronto if they want it to be more competitive. This isn't COD.

Playlists aren't even close to done, never mind announced.

I'm hoping for an "I'll play anything" playlist that would help populate matches of the lesser played playlists.

I don't know if it's possible to mix pools of players across multiple playlists, but if it is, then that might allow for more playlists for each title. I'll play 2v2 on Halo 1, then I'll play Big Team Objective on Halo 4 or Juggernaught on Halo 3... or oddball or Team Slayer or a race around Sidewinder....

Hopefully I'm not the only one who enjoys this kind of variety.

Ideally, mixing playlists would also work with people who want to play Team Slayer on any title as they could be matched with people who only want to play Team Slayer on a specific game. If everyone is just locked into playing with people who only want to play that specific playlist then we'll get a lot of low population playlists in each game, or we'll get very few choices of playlists per title.

Wishful thinking again on my part, just like my dream of having the single interface persist with future Halo titles added over time. But it's nice to dream.

Leyasu

Banned
Oh man, i'm more excited about this possibility than a grown man really ought to be.

Lol It is not just you.. I am closer to 40 than 35, with two kids, and I'm posting on here begging for datacenters and using phrases like "god-tier"

My gf would tear me a new arsehole if she knew what I was posting..

Halo on dedicated servers was why I kept my bone pre-order

nomis

Has your connection not improved in 10 years?

My connection is actually 100x faster than it was in 2004

I think the fastest downloads I ever got in 2004 were less than 200kb/s. Now I max out at like 1.9mb/s. Still terrible DSL speed but an order of magnitude better. I don't even want to know what my upload used to be...

nzlpablo

Neo Member
Lol It is not just you.. I am closer to 40 than 35, with two kids, and I'm posting on here begging for datacenters and using phrases like "god-tier"

My gf would tear me a new arsehole if she knew what I was posting..

Halo on dedicated servers was why I kept my bone pre-order

Haha I'm 30+ with kids too, we should form a support group :B

I just don't get it really. I never played Halo Reach. I just wanted them to add the campaign so I could play it from one disc. I would pay 50 USD for the DLC of that. I wouldn't expect them to do anything with beefing it up, I just think its function and place in the story as a precurssor to Halo 1 would have been really cool and fun.

Or alternatively they make an even better extended edition version of master chief collection a couple of years from now that contains it. "good news guys we found a way to put ODST and Reach on the disc. That will be 60 bucks more..".

I mean, I ain't hating, but I could see them doing that. I heard Frankie say they couldn't make it for release but I think it would be cool to put in there. I dont have a 360 anymore so no way of playing that title. The last Halo title made by Bungie. And its the Halo I want to try the most. It sounds really cool!

well idk man it is called the master chief collection so i don't think we'll see be seeing odst or reach thrown in as dlc

Any news on the PC port?

315.jpg

Muffdraul

I think the fastest downloads I ever got in 2004 were less than 200kb/s. Now I max out at like 1.9mb/s.

Same boat as me. I get this weird claustrophobic feeling when I play online, I keep expecting a pop-up message to appear, "Your bandwidth is too low to play this game without ruining it for the other players."

Has your connection not improved in 10 years?

My connection is actually 100x faster than it was in 2004

Your latency has not reduced 100x unless you had the shittiest connection the world has ever seen.

Your 100Mb/s connection means fuck all for gaming. 1) Because games don't use that much bandwidth to play them and 2) Because fast download speeds do not automatically mean good connection metrics. Just the opposite in some cases, where ISPs oversaturate links because they're desperate to sell you that once in a blue moon you may actually get a 5TB/s connection (and just ignore that you often get a fraction of that at 10% packet loss during peak time)

And unless you have low latency to the people you're playing with and no packet loss (and they have no packet loss as well), co-op in Halo is going to suck.

EvB

Your latency has not reduced 100x unless you had the shittiest connection the world has ever seen.

Your 100Mb/s connection means fuck all for gaming. 1) Because games don't use that much bandwidth to play them and 2) Because fast download speeds do not automatically mean good connection metrics. Just the opposite in some cases, where ISPs oversaturate links because they're desperate to sell you that once in a blue moon you may actually get a 5TB/s connection (and just ignore that you often get a fraction of that at 10% packet loss during peak time)

And unless you have low latency to the people you're playing with and no packet loss (and they have no packet loss as well), co-op in Halo is going to suck.

My latency has improved because the overall quality of the connections that are available to me are better. my 256k upload in 2004 wasn't really good enough to host a multiplayer game, so that impacted both mine and my friend's games at times.

Special C

Wait, so the MP playlists are going to cycle between games? That's so weird, the games all play differently. That's some weird adjusting between matches.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Wait, so the MP playlists are going to cycle between games? That's so weird, the games all play differently. That's some weird adjusting between matches.

Ya that was my thought too. Universal control scheme will help little bit lol but they are still all different games.
I hope we have a slayer playlist for Halo 2 and Halo 3 separately.

Any news on the PC port? Or was that all just rumor?
aIg6cEU.gif

That reaction image is great, but it's better as a gif...

Anyways, at this point it's all purely speculation. But I'm optimistic.

On a related note, I'd hate to "port beg" since the PC discussion here would be nothing next to the main Xbox discussion... But they said at SDCC "if the fans want a PC port, keeping asking for it." Hopefully Stinkles sees this and can comment... Where can we have this discussion, directly with you guys? I know we can tweet/facebook/reddit and all that, but those never really lead to an actual discussion, and most of that largely gets ignored. I think we'd all like to actually hear more from you than just, "we know you guys want it, but no comment," and maybe talk about it, brainstorm. Why isn't it feasible now? What could we do to improve it, where can we compromise? If not MCC, maybe put CE/Vista on Steam? Etc...

I just think there's a bigger discussion and better understanding to be had from both parties, whether it comes to PC or not.

Always prefered Reach, it's a superior game.

Though went back to H4 recently and holy crap are the playlists complete shit. And I still never see the Pit/Ricochet DLC I stupidly bought.

That's too bad, it's a fantastic gametype. Haven't played it in a long time, but really enjoyed it back when it was new.

Striker

Always prefered Reach, it's a superior game.

Though went back to H4 recently and holy crap are the playlists complete shit. And I still never see the Pit/Ricochet DLC I stupidly bought.
You would never see Breakneck/Headlong or Ridgeline/Timberland in Reach, either, since they have cut the BTB playlist for Reach Anny. Same sort of story for the Defiant map pack that included one BTB map, but you will never see it in MM.

Looks like a trend!

I'm hoping for an "I'll play anything" playlist that would help populate matches of the lesser played playlists.

I don't know if it's possible to mix pools of players across multiple playlists, but if it is, then that might allow for more playlists for each title. I'll play 2v2 on Halo 1, then I'll play Big Team Objective on Halo 4 or Juggernaught on Halo 3... or oddball or Team Slayer or a race around Sidewinder....

Hopefully I'm not the only one who enjoys this kind of variety.

Ideally, mixing playlists would also work with people who want to play Team Slayer on any title as they could be matched with people who only want to play Team Slayer on a specific game. If everyone is just locked into playing with people who only want to play that specific playlist then we'll get a lot of low population playlists in each game, or we'll get very few choices of playlists per title.

Wishful thinking again on my part, just like my dream of having the single interface persist with future Halo titles added over time. But it's nice to dream.

Im totally on board with you. I always found it weird hitting "quick match" in games would bring me to playlist selections still.

Id love to be able to choose a playlist OR just press A over "quick match" and it just finds me the first available game close to my level.

Here's hoping by launch smartglass will have some increased functionality, so I can be watching football or something on TV, open my phone and tap quick match, and get a notification while im watching TV that my match is ready once the countdown starts

jacobeid

Banned
I just bit the bullet and bought a subscription to live. Having an Xbox one without ForzaGAF, SOgaf, and haloGAF seemed so wrong. Is there a good way to find people on GAF to add to my friends list?

I just bit the bullet and bought a subscription to live. Having an Xbox one without ForzaGAF, SOgaf, and haloGAF seemed so wrong. Is there a good way to find people on GAF to add to my friends list?

there will probably be a good thread for Gaffers to exchange gamertags during the Halo MCC release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom