• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC dedicated servers: Where art thou??

Mdot

How in the world can 343 Industries or Microsoft be okay with an employee behaving like that? It instills no confidence whatsoever in consumers when the previous face of the game just flat out disappears two days after the game launches and we discover what a mess it is. Makes you think that he knew this was going to happen, knows it's not getting fixed, and is just saying screw it and hiding until it all blows over.

In business, if you don't get an answer from an associate, you go to his/her boss. Where's Phil Spencer been in terms of addressing this debacle? Hell, Halo is the FACE of Xbox and they're just letting it wilt away with this mess of a game.

dwells

Cool, thanks buddy. Much appreciated.
No sweat, happy to help.

I haven't paid much attention to the game since launch, have they given timeframes on when they expect it to be fixed?
Not really. The best we get is every week or so they say they're working on something and expect more next week. Then we get a patch that addresses a couple issue and creates a few new ones, but still leaves us with an overwhelmingly broken game. There's been no public discussion of long-term/big picture plans that break down the scope of the issues and their timetable for addressing it all.

In business, if you don't get an answer from an associate, you go to his/her boss. Where's Phil Spencer been in terms of addressing this debacle? Hell, Halo is the FACE of Xbox and they're just letting it wilt away with this mess of a game.
Yep, it's absurd that Phil or anyone else at Microsoft/Xbox hasn't made a real effort to engage the community. This is a first-party title, a AAA franchise, a system seller! What happened to the Phil Spencer who said "If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox"?

MysteryM

Its appalling service to be honest, and in any other industry sending out a sub standard product would be acted upon immediately.

I have an open cone nat however I keep getting booted out of halo 3 and h2A games, the loading screen refuses to load and I get dumped whilst my other party member enters the game with no problem. Not sure if its because I'm party leader on not.

Then the game starts and feels like classic halo, i.e. shields are getting shot off with one BR shot and I have to run for cover immediately.

We've been diddled well and truly. As much as I enjoy halo I feel like I'm in a continuous holding pattern waiting for them to fix it.

343 can shove halo 5.

Mdot

What happened to the Phil Spencer who said "If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox"?

Exactly. If I put out a shit report at work or completely fucked something up and the recipient was looking for answers, me not fixing that would result in getting reamed out by my higher ups. And more importantly, it getting fixed.

Not really. The best we get is every week or so they say they're working on something and expect more next week. Then we get a patch that addresses a couple issue and creates a few new ones, but still leaves us with an overwhelmingly broken game. There's been no public discussion of long-term/big picture plans that break down the scope of the issues and their timetable for addressing it all.

Thanks. I've never played Halo MP and I want my first experience to be perfect...but man it sucks waiting. This was pretty much the reason I bought my Xbox along with FH2, a shame to just see it there collecting dust. I tried playing some of the campaign but that has issues as well which I assume are probably even lower priority than the matchmaking.

Phil saying nothing, Ayoub going quiet, and the rest of 343 basically tossing out information after patches come out has been a pathetic response

RdN

Phil saying nothing, Ayoub going quiet, and the rest of 343 basically tossing out information after patches come out has been a pathetic response

I agree. Their handling of the situation has been mediocre, to say the least.

I see some people around here saying that 343i is doing everything well and all I can't think is "What the fuck!?". I mean, what sort of low bar do people have for support and public relationship if they think what 343i is doing (and has done with Halo 4) is anywhere near acceptable?

Mdot

I agree. Their handling of the situation has been mediocre, to say the least.

I see some people around here saying that 343i is doing everything well and all I can't think is "What the fuck!?". I mean, what sort of low bar do people have for support and public relationship if they think what 343i is doing (and has done with Halo 4) is anywhere near acceptable?

Somebody should tweet him and ask wtf is going on.

This practice of releasing broken games at launch has to stop. It just doesn't work with the way the industry currently functions.

It would be one thing if the dev team maintained all relevant people well after the product was launched, but they don't. Typically, most people are laid off or transitioned to their next project well before the game even hits stores.

When the game finally hits shelves, and its a bug riddled mess, there's typically only a smaller team to handle minor bugs and tweaks. Working on the MCC in this post-launch state is most likely a living hell. The game honestly should be pulled from stores, and a full team of developers need to be brought back on before the title is re-released.

At this point, I think the most we can hope for is marginal improvements. Although, by the time the game is in decent shape most will have likely moved on.

RdN

Somebody should tweet him and ask wtf is going on.

Some have.. All they got back is "343i is 100% compromised in fixing the issues", which is ridiculous.

Phil Spencer have made a reputation of being a straight shooter, but he really dropped the ball on this one...

This practice of releasing broken games at launch has to stop. It just doesn't work with the way the industry currently functions.

It would be one thing if the dev team maintained all relevant people well after the product was launched, but they don't. Typically, most people are laid off or transitioned to their next project well before the game even hits stores.

When the game finally hits shelves, and its a bug riddled mess, there's typically only a smaller team to handle minor bugs and tweaks. Working on the MCC in this post-launch state is most likely a living hell. The game honestly should be pulled from stores, and a full team of developers need to be brought back on before the title is re-released.

At this point, I think the most we can hope for is marginal improvements. Although, by the time the game is in decent shape most will have likely moved on.

Hence why some of us feel scammed. Right now developers can promise a product that doesn't truly exist, and sell enough units at launch (before the issues are known) to mitigate the risk of these expensive AAA titles.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Haven't really been keeping up with the news, but it sounds like MCC is a bit lacking. Wasn't there a "has 343 redeemed themselves with MCC" thread a few weeks back? Whatever happened to that?

Leyasu

Banned
Wow just played some swat... Fuck people killing me just as they are appearing on my screen, killing me when they are not even looking at me.

Fucking wanky half bar connection, and some guy who had a full bar was smiting us like Zeus!

What a fucking joke.

RdN

Haven't really been keeping up with the news, but it sounds like MCC is a bit lacking. Wasn't there a "has 343 redeemed themselves with MCC" thread a few weeks back? Whatever happened to that?

That was before the launch of TMCC, iirc. Would be awesome to see a thread like that today.

Pez

The new patch came out today and it was the first time zero fucks were given about MCC.

You've officially lost me, 343.

Madness

I bet it all came up. I bet the massive marketing push also was finalized 6 months ago. Management at 343 needs to be taken to task, or MS for allowing the game to be released like this.

343 could of told MS everything is peachy and good to go for November, or they could of told them its a dumpster fire and ms said too bad push it out.

It's funny because in the lead up to launch, so many things were announced trying to downplay issues or underdeliver on promises. No CE playlist, no ranks except for H2A, no customizable armor, dedicated servers will only be used for matchmaking not campaign or customs, Halo 2 Anniversary wasn't full resolution, so many frame rate drops or fluctuating frame rates, day one 16gb patch required, etc.

GnawtyDog

Banned
^^^ Dang bro you're salty.

Define salty? Seems like another frustrated customer of the many on Gaf - which would make your post bait or "reverse salty"

Reverse salty = x poster calling others salty when in fact it's x poster who's salty by the comments being made. And yes, I just made up the term.

membran

They worked on thanksgiving day? How do you know for sure?

Bravo tweeted it, take from it what you will.

Regarding the fabled dedicated servers, the last time I saw that "connecting to dedicated server..." text box on the bottom right corner was a day before official release, if I recall correctly. My gaming buddy has seen it roughly two weeks ago, though; I got dropped from the game before the map began loading, something like that) and he went on to play on that dedicated server.

So they are apparently on, but the odds of actually connecting to them appears to be very low. Like, 1 in 100 low.

Ominym

Banned
Yep, it's absurd that Phil or anyone else at Microsoft/Xbox hasn't made a real effort to engage the community. This is a first-party title, a AAA franchise, a system seller! What happened to the Phil Spencer who said "If we lose our way with Halo, we lose our way with Xbox"?

The way I see this is that, well, short of Phil Spencer getting in there and writing code himself he can't fix the problem short of yelling at 343i heads. Which I'm sure he's done frequently. He can't fire the upper staff right now either as the last thing they need is to go through a leadership change while the incompetent team struggles to fix the issues. With that in mind, his hands are pretty tied short of repeating the same thing over and over "we're working on issues..." week after week, which isn't beneficial at a certain point. And the 343i heads probably think that posting on social media will catch them flak for looking like they're not doing any work.

I will however be very critical of Spencer if he's not willing to make some leadership changes at 343i after this is all ironed out. Because quite frankly a restructuring is desperately needed.

Leyasu

Banned
Bravo tweeted it, take from it what you will.

Regarding the fabled dedicated servers, the last time I saw that "connecting to dedicated server..." text box on the bottom right corner was a day before official release, if I recall correctly. My gaming buddy has seen it roughly two weeks ago, though; I got dropped from the game before the map began loading, something like that) and he went on to play on that dedicated server.

So they are apparently on, but the odds of actually connecting to them appears to be very low. Like, 1 in 100 low.

The last time I saw that pop up was about three days after launch.. What a fuck-up this game has turned out to be.

Oh look, my swat game has loaded on some p2p shit with room full of Americans. Here comes the lag.. 343 you're bad.

RdN

The last time I saw that pop up was about three days after launch.. What a fuck-up this game has turned out to be.

Oh look, my swat game has loaded on some p2p shit with room full of Americans. Here comes the lag.. 343 you're bad.

That's my SWAT experience... It's very frustrating.

mbmonk

I have never seen it popup for dedicated servers. I would ask for a picture of it but that is like asking someone to produce a picture of Big Foot.

membran

I have never seen it popup for dedicated servers. I would ask for a picture of it but that is like asking someone to produce a picture of Big Foot.

It'll look like this, it'll come up right after voting.

XCFX7yx.jpg

Leyasu

Banned

lol They were there. And then they were gone. Just a dream within a dream.

Kssio_Aug

Add this to the long list of questions 343 hasn't answered.

-when is matchmaking going to work?
-when will ranks be implemented?
-when will X playlist come back (halo 1, 4, skirmish, doubles, etc)
-when will campaign saves work?
-what the hell are we getting for having to wait over a month for a working game?
-whens the next patch? what is it focusing on?

usually the answer is "when matchmaking is fixed" or "soon". but those are kinda awful answers.

theres more for sure. they seem to really be working hard but the communication with the fanbase is almost non existent right now.

343 needs to take lessons from blizzard on how to handle these kind of issues.

Indeed!
After such a broken release, this lack of communication just make it harder to trust them to handle this IP.

Hubble

I too want to know an update by 343 on this. One of my main purchasing reasons was the glory of playing Halo on dedicated servers for the first time as advertised, so it is only right 343 provides a status update. The promise of dedicated servers was a main reason for many people who bought MCC.

Dedicated servers make a massive difference in online play especially when partying up.

Leyasu

Banned
I too want to know an update by 343 on this. One of my main purchasing reasons was the glory of playing Halo on dedicated servers for the first time as advertised, so it is only right 343 provides a status update. The promise of dedicated servers was a main reason for many people who bought MCC.

Dedicated servers make a massive difference in online play especially when partying up.

Exactly. A real shame that they have not fulfiled their promises

Top Bottom