• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC might not use dedicated servers (update: p2p only as fallback, post #278)

Skullface

I hope somone sues 343i and in the lawsuit it states, all people who bought MCC, get a full refund and a complimentary free year of XBLive for microsofts blatant disrespect of there loyal customers.

Woah now, that's a little harsh. I get that the game was dropped with out as much polish as it could have had, but if they make good on this error, we can maybe let it go and move on. I don't want free shit, just for my game to run as promised.

So custom games are pretty much useless with so much host advantage. We were testing it out and a perfect 4 with the BR would only work if you were the host and for any one else it took 5 shots.

I should add that I don't know if this is the norm. It's just what we observed in our few games played. Can anyone else verify this or is it already a known issue?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Up until this morning I haven't been able to play any multiplayer. They've clearly made some progress. Hopefully this continues.

Yeah, not everyone has seen the improvement... but others have

This is my pointers to get a match:

Cold boot your xbox
Launch MCC and try a playlist. If a match isn't found within 3 minutes, back out and try another playlist.
If you don't see the searching squares, back out to multiplayer menu and open and close your roster (i find doing this will allow the search squares to come back sometimes)

i used to have dreadful waits... now i'm at 3-5 minute waits

We will get another post from 343 momentarily to see what the next step in the process is.

KdMgMan

I hope somone sues 343i and in the lawsuit it states, all people who bought MCC, get a full refund and a complimentary free year of XBLive for microsofts blatant disrespect of there loyal customers.
We should also sued them for having frame drops and halo2a not fully being 1080p right? Lol

JimmyBoy

we should...probably...ya know...get some proof before we go all pitchforks and fire...

custom games being on p2p and matchmaking being dedicated would make some sense as someone spoke about earlier.

When the game works it says "Connecting to dedicated server" before the game.

When it doesn't, I've joined where it doesn't say that and I've seen the host migration stuff.

Skullface

Yeah, not everyone has seen the improvement... but others have

This is my pointers to get a match:

Cold boot your xbox
Launch MCC and try a playlist. If a match isn't found within 3 minutes, back out and try another playlist.
If you don't see the searching squares, back out to multiplayer menu and open and close your roster (i find doing this will allow the search squares to come back sometimes)

i used to have dreadful waits... now i'm at 3-5 minute waits

We will get another post from 343 momentarily to see what the next step in the process is.

I can attest to the lack of "searching squares". If you don't have em, best to start over.

Purest 78

Still isn't working properly. We're getting an update so.on though based on the chatter in the OT, so maybe they've figured out what the problem was.

Anyone who claims it was as bad as DC isn't just engaging in hyperbole, they are wilfully trying to lie and mislead people.

I just think halo is so much more important to MS, much more than Drive club is to sony. So from that perspective this is much worse imo.

Korosenai

image.php

I just think halo is so much more important to MS, much more than Drive club is to sony. So from that perspective this is much worse imo.

This is probably also a bigger launch than Driveclub for Sony, so server problems would have been more likely to occur.

Plus, I doubt this is because of some guys code who engineered servers wrong, a la Driveclub. This is probably just, "Shit, we underestimated load, osmething broke, we're fixing it

Omni

Now that would be something.

I played a game of Halo 3 the other night and it was amazing. Best game of Halo 3 I've ever played in regards to connection. I assumed that this was because it was on dedicated servers...

But then again I also played a game of Halo 2 where I felt like there was a host advantage and my shots weren't registering.

Hmmm

Seik

Banned
Wasn't it a sure thing? I remember something being said about it having dedicated servers when it was announced at E3.

No doubt that it's a huge issue, but let's not equate the importance of a brand new IP tanking to its death on first installment by failing to create a lasting community with its broken online featureset and, so far, unseen promised trial version meant to draw in a crowd to an HD re-release collection. I have zero faith in Evolution/Sony to fix their shit any time soon given it's been more than a month for a game delayed specifically for its online component. 343 has had its first major current gen product out on shelves for less than four days, so while there's still time for them to screw up like Evo/Sony, they're not there yet.

I was curious about this myself. See Xbox Live Terms of Use: "7.4 Class action waiver. Any proceedings to resolve or litigate any dispute in any forum will be conducted solely on an individual basis. Neither you nor Microsoft will seek to have any dispute heard as a class action, private attorney general action, or in any other proceeding in which either party acts or proposes to act in a representative capacity. No arbitration or proceeding will be combined with another without the prior written consent of all parties to all affected arbitrations or proceedings."

Also, last year's EA BattleField 4 class action suit has gone nowhere.

I don't know all of the ramifications of what sort of law would be necessary to regulate software companies and prevent them from shipping broken products. Perhaps it would have larger negative unintended ramifications.... but I do agree that something needs to be done. This is an all too common occurrence these days.

To a certain extent I do feel a little ridiculous about complaining about this... after all it's just a game. That being said, it is a product that has significantly less [working] features than what was promised.

In the case of the MCC it literally seems like whoever 343 outsourced to basically just shoddily copy pasted the code of 4 separate games together and printed the disc to make the holiday deadline.

Outside of a class action lawsuit, which seems unfeasible at this point... the best thing consumers can do is request a refund. It appears that Microsoft is honoring refunds on this product, although I'm not sure how the refund would work if you purchased a physical copy from a retailer.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
In the case of the MCC it literally seems like whoever 343 outsourced to basically just shoddily copy pasted the code of 4 separate games together and printed the disc to make the holiday deadline.

Holy shit.

I don't have enough palms to plant my face in

Z3M0G

power of the cloud.

made me lol

If this is proven to be true, it's a pretty big surprise.

Could, say, Halo 2 have dedicated servers while Halo 4 may not? Each game has its own net code right?

This has basically been releasing 4 games at once... what an ordeal this must have been.

Purest 78

This is probably also a bigger launch than Driveclub for Sony, so server problems would have been more likely to occur.

Plus, I doubt this is because of some guys code who engineered servers wrong, a la Driveclub. This is probably just, "Shit, we underestimated load, osmething broke, we're fixing it

From what I understand people who had the game early had issues. So I don't think load is the problem personally.

Skullface

My thoughts exactly. You don't just copy and paste code, that's not how ports work haha

Not only that, it certainly wasn't shoddily done. The whole presentation is quite nifty actually, with the easy to navigate, streamlined UI. They could have spent a little more time on debugging... But hey. What can you do?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
We DO have dedicated servers.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

So, threads about Halo and Dedicated servers, and first 2 posts are about Driveclub. Amazing how that works!

Halo MCC hasn't been out for a week yet. Give them time to work on the net code. Honest question, did they ever tease or confirm this game was supposed to use dedicated servers?

I have no idea what you're lumping me in for, or even what you're implying here. I disagree with what he said. And why do they get a pass? Game's busted at launch. Take em to task until they fix it.

I'd simply take an apology from Stinkles with a promise to resolve within a window of time.

I like Stinkles and all, but I'm not trusting him in terms of anything Halo.

Stinkles

I'd hold off for an explication on the p2p. All signs seem to point to an interim fix, or server overload fallback. I'd still love to hear an official statement just to clarify.

Your timing is the only thing I have enjoyed today.

rrc1594

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Thank you for your post

Holy shit.

I don't have enough palms to plant my face in

Obviously that was an exaggeration. The point is this. There are 4 separate games on this product. None of them seem to be optimized to run on the Xbox One. The UI that manages the single player and multiplayer component seems hobbled together. The multiplayer portion of the product was not ready by the time that they needed to print to disc (to make the holiday deadline).

Skullface

Nice. Thanks Frank.

seems to be a trend now of devs cheaping out

Edit** Took comment out. Dedicated servers confirmed

Oh cmon now. It's even close to that mess. 1 month still not able to connect to ANY SERVERS WHATSOEVER.

Please keep that out of this thread.

It's not even available for purchase in the PSN store. Hasn't been for some time now. What a mess that has become.

It's understandable though if someone brings it up. Don't really understand that strong reaction from you

Great communication! Not the launch you guys intended, I'm sure but thanks for the hard work in getting it right.

Sorry, too late. Already took Boston's advice.

Better lawyer up bitch. I already called Bob Loblaw. And he is about to lob a bomb your way.

Stinkles

But MS was making a big deal out of dedicated servers on the XB1. Kind of funny if they're not using them for a first party game. Especially for Halo

Please see above.

Also, sidenote: What did you think of Miike's 13 Assassins? Or new Hara Kiri.

Sydle

Thanks for this.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member

Everyone can be breathe now right?

defghik

Now that would be something.

I played a game of Halo 3 the other night and it was amazing. Best game of Halo 3 I've ever played in regards to connection. I assumed that this was because it was on dedicated servers...

But then again I also played a game of Halo 2 where I felt like there was a host advantage and my shots weren't registering.

Hmmm

Halo 2's netcode in MCC is ass, because it's a port of H2 Vista (and if it isn't, then it suspiciously has all the same problems that Vista had). The hit detection is just highly inconsistent, even at relatively close ranges where it worked 99% of the time on the OG Xbox - and I've been playing Halo 2 on XBC frequently, right up until the night of MCC's release, so nothing I'm saying is coming from long term memory.

I'm not saying that the OG Xbox version had good netcode, at all; it sucked too. But it was better than the crap that we're seeing in MCC.

There are other problems with Halo 2 in MCC, like the BR and Carbine ROF being a lot faster than it should be, but to me, the netcode is the #1 issue.

Not only that, it certainly wasn't shoddily done. The whole presentation is quite nifty actually, with the easy to navigate, streamlined UI. They could have spent a little more time on debugging... But hey. What can you do?

The copy/pasting was a figure of speech, but honestly how do you explain shit like the input lag in Halo CE or the fact that it says "press space to clear." That's the sort of thing that makes me think that nobody even bothered or had time to test this at all.

Last nights server-side fix was a definite improvement for me. Though could still be a bit slow in matchmaking, but was notably faster then it was previously.

j3ff3

Banned
Your timing is the only thing I have enjoyed today.

having just read the thread i'm not entirely sure why anyone needed the explanation in the first place.

game is having some known issues. some see 'dedicated server' messages, and some 'p2p'.

which is more likely, that "the game is lying", or that its a fallback mechanism? :D

Top Bottom