• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC might not use dedicated servers (update: p2p only as fallback, post #278)

We DO have dedicated servers.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

If it makes you feel any better the Halo 5 beta reveal impressed me more than it irked me. I know you were just dying to hear my opinion.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Thank you frankie, this is the first good thing I have read today and it makes me feel better about not being able to play online much if at all right now, more so then reading little blog posts about it.

But I do want to ask something, does this mean that there is only so many dedicated server slots and if they are full we will be placed into p2p connection matches? because I dislike the thought of that.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Everyone can be breathe now right?

Always a good idea. But of course people should be irritated. My experience has gotten better and better all day, barring some moments that were not directly connected to our initial issues. I'm hoping others are seeing significant improvements but of course when they are, they stop communicating because they're playing. Would be useful for me to see improvement anecdotes and descriptions.

Zia

No! But this was supposed to be "Microsoft's Driveclub!"

The package looks really well done by the way. Good job.

Dedicated servers for new releases is now the mystical unicorn of nonexistence. Never ever believe that dedicated servers will be up at launch.
They were for Titanfall, Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive. I know the Titanfall US launch had some issues on day 1, but in the UK all of those games have been fine. Halo: MCC is the one game that uses Azure that I don't have (I'm not a Halo fan), so I can't comment on that.

Heretic

Obviously that was an exaggeration. The point is this. There are 4 separate games on this product. None of them seem to be optimized to run on the Xbox One. The UI that manages the single player and multiplayer component seems hobbled together. The multiplayer portion of the product was not ready by the time that they needed to print to disc (to make the holiday deadline).

I can't...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Always a good idea. But of course people should be irritated. My experience has gotten better and better all day, barring some moments that were not directly connected to our initial issues. I'm hoping others are seeing significant improvements but of course when they are, they stop communicating because they're playing. Would be useful for me to see improvement anecdotes and descriptions.

Hey Frank, thanks for the updates.
Question, are the party joining (and staying in) issues part of the server issues, or is that something you'll fix with a patch? Same question for those who have their games crash/freeze at the loading screen right after a match ends.

Thanks

Thank you for clearing this up, sounds absolutely fine to me then.

I've only been able to find games on halo 2 classic and that's after waiting 5-10min or longer each time. When I do get a game going it's either uneven teams or my party member ends up on the other team.

And please tell me out of all the games why CE doesn't have its own list?!?!

Skullface

Is there a preferred method to leave feedback? Considering all the shit you guys are getting, it would only be fair to let you know that we've seen a certain level of improvement.

I'll give you improvement anecdotes as soon as all items on this list flagged urgent-normal are resolved.

https://www.hostedredmine.com/projects/halo-mcc/issues?set_filter=1&tracker_id=1

runnner30

Banned
This place is a pile. Chicken little as always. I don't know why devs continue to post in such an entitled irrational place.

Thanks for clearing that up Frankie!

Hoping everything gets sorted out quickly enough matchmaking wise, especially since then 343 can focus on some other issues that prominent (customs...).

I just think halo is so much more important to MS, much more than Drive club is to sony. So from that perspective this is much worse imo.

Hardly. Sony have pushed DC hard .

Much harder than MS have MCC. I haven't seen a single ad for MCC, yet I've seen over two dozen ads for DC, not to mention the official bundle.

This was supposed to be a big new IP for Sony based on how Sony treated it, let's please not pretend it wasn't supposed to anything more than a quarterly release filler.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I started off pretty angry, and yeah, this is gonna have a lasting impact on the perception of the game, but I'm done complaining for now. I'll be patient until everything is working, and it seems like progress is being made. I just wanna play some halo.

I can certainly tell you that none of the fixes have worked for me. Luckily I have had no real single player issues aside form some weird audio glitches. But I am DYING to play Halo 2 MP. It's like dying of thirst in a desert and every pool of water I come across is a mirage.

Jeff-DSA

Apologies suck. Nobody should be THANKING anybody at 343 for giving us an apology or an explanation. The only thing that we should thank them for would be for releasing a finished and quality product. They did not do that. We paid our $60 and the product has glaring flaws in it. It's unfinished. It's NOT done. We did not get what we paid for.

There's three options:

1. 343 didn't care that it was unfinished and they released it anyway.
2. Microsoft didn't care that it was unfinished and made 343 release it anyway.
3. 343/Microsoft are incompetent and didn't realize that they were releasing an unfinished product.

You want to thank them for apologizing for that? Holy jeez, what am I even reading? Why are we thanking them for apologizing for being inept?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey Frank, thanks for the updates.
Question, are the party joining (and staying in) issues part of the server issues, or is that something you'll fix with a patch? Same question for those who have their games crash/freeze at the loading screen right after a match ends.

Thanks

It's literally all connected to issues that weren't visible in test. And getting better.

Freeser

Really appreciate the response and commitment to solving these problems. Just remember it can only get better from here on out.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The funny thing is that when Microsoft originally created Xbox Live, they claimed that charging for basic online multiplayer (Which was a ridiculous concept in the first place) would allow them to set up dedicated servers for every game, and to keep online services for games up well beyond the normal console online lifespan.

How'd that turn out?

I haven't watched Arrested Development in a while :(

Fair enough.

Also just saw Stinkles' response. Definitely not ideal, but it's understandable and that kind of communication is what gamers need in situations like this, to avoid this hyperbolic "THIS IS MS' DRIVECLUB YAAAAAAA!" bullcrap.

I do have to say that when matchmaking works, I'm overtaken by how smooth and responsive things feel.

Also, noobs in Halo get REKT so much harder on these types of games than other shooters. Glad I ain't a noob. ^_^

ced

Apologies suck. Nobody should be THANKING anybody at 343 for giving us an apology or an explanation. The only thing that we should thank them for would be for releasing a finished and quality product. They did not do that. We paid our $60 and the product has glaring flaws in it. It's unfinished. It's NOT done. We did not get what we paid for.

There's three options:

3. 343/Microsoft are incompetent and didn't realize that they were releasing an unfinished product.

You want to thank them for apologizing for that? Holy jeez, what am I even reading? Why are we thanking them for apologizing for being inept?

I'll take #2.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's literally all connected to issues that weren't visible in test. And getting better.

Figured as much. I just wasn't sure what would require a patch and what could be fixed server-side.

Make Tashi go get y'all coffee while you are working on all of this. :p

There's three options:

Option 4 is that this stuff didn't show up in test, and thus was unknown until launch. Unlike Ubi and AC Unity, I doubt 343 knew their game had issues, and released it anyways.

DJ Gunner

The MM/lobby system works exponentially better when you're going in alone than with a party. The party issues are, imo, the most glaring. You can't go in and out of MM in one and stay together, and sometimes you end up in different _modes_ when the host backs you out. When in a customs lobby, half the time you can't change teams, sometimes you can change teams in an FFA game mode but not a team game mode.

Just off the top of my head. But yeah, single player MM seems to be working a bit more regularly.

turcy

I hope somone sues 343i and in the lawsuit it states, all people who bought MCC, get a full refund and a complimentary free year of XBLive for microsofts blatant disrespect of there loyal customers.

i really, truly, honestly hope you're not serious.

That's that then.

I apologise for claiming the lack of dedi's was pathetic.

Heretic

The funny thing is that when Microsoft originally created Xbox Live, they claimed that charging for basic online multiplayer (Which was a ridiculous concept in the first place) would allow them to set up dedicated servers for every game, and to keep online services for games up well beyond the normal console online lifespan.

How'd that turn out?

Way better than PSN, I would say!

There's three options:

I think most people are thanking them for keeping everyone up to date on them fixing their inept attempt at a game. I don't know why they are thanking them for doing that though either. Any release where a company breaks off all communication will hurt more than just giving updates.

Anything else and I agree with you.

Jeff-DSA

I have literally spent an indefinable amount of more time downloading a massive patch for this game than I have in multiplayer because you can't divide by 0.

Freeser

Nice to hear that they seemed to have pinpointed the issues causing this. Previous updates seemed like they were a shot in the dark fix but that is also coming from an outsiders perspective.

I wanted to hear from other people if theyve seen the same messages and lag implying theres a host

Your thread title could have been a bit more clear that this is pure speculation with no real evidence. Like maybe by adding a question mark? Or the word "speculation"? We're already seeing people assume it's true in the thread, and that's probably because they don't read the OP at all, just the title.

Not saying you shouldn't have made a thread, but I think I might have worded things a bit differently.

Edit: and maybe add Stinkles' post to the OP (thanks Stinkles for the post, too).

Doubled edit: Man, I wouldn't want to be a 343 developer right about now...must be hell right now in their office. Not saying this stuff doesn't suck for us consumers, but you have to feel for the developers that have no power to really change anything and are now working double OT to fix this mess.

There's three options:

Neogaf is to "when an industry person posts in a thread" as Reddit is to the celebrity AMA.

rokkerkory

Okay you can have my love again <3

I won't play HMCC mp until stuff is fixed however.

hawk2025

The question remains, though:

If the purpose of using Azure is to be able to spin up dedicated servers on demand as needed, how is this situation even possible?

Edit:
I suppose this falls under the third case, "network issues that are preventing communication to the dedicated servers"?

Top Bottom