• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC might not use dedicated servers (update: p2p only as fallback, post #278)

UNSCleric

Why do they keep saying it's getting better? Are they basing that off the ass-kissing people who make up stuff about having no issues?

It's getting worse, if anything. I'm on right now and can't get anything to work. I have an open NAT and a 55/12 down/up connection, so I know it isn't me.

Heretic

Why do they keep saying it's getting better? Are they basing that off the ass-kissing people who make up stuff about having no issues?

It's getting worse, if anything. I'm on right now and can't get anything to work. I have an open NAT and a 55/12 down/up connection, so I know it isn't me.

Sounds like it's your connection, honestly.

Hardly. Sony have pushed DC hard .

Much harder than MS have MCC. I haven't seen a single ad for MCC, yet I've seen over two dozen ads for DC, not to mention the official bundle.

This was supposed to be a big new IP for Sony based on how Sony treated it, let's please not pretend it wasn't supposed to anything more than a quarterly release filler.

Sure, Sony pushed DC hard but to say that DC was bigger for Sony then MCC for MS? No way, especially not in the current sales climate of the consoles.

And both game launches were terrible. DC's was terrible for the sheer length of the multiplayer outtage and MCC's has been terrible because so many things just don't work or are borked (besides matchmaking). The comparison is unwarranted in a thread like this but man, I bought both games at launch and it hurts me inside (as I enjoy them both).

Schrade

This place is a pile. Chicken little as always. I don't know why devs continue to post in such an entitled irrational place.

Why are you posting here then? Why are you even reading the forums?

When people have problems they report them and complain about them.

HaleStorm

I know things were better for me last night than on Tuesday. I got into 4 games in about an hour and a half. Still not good, but it was better for me.

We DO have dedicated servers.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Really nice to hear from you Frank. Come on, 343, get this together!

It honestly is heartbreaking since I like a lot followed the project very closely and it does indeed looks like there was such passion thrown into the mix.

Wonderllama

Neo Member
For some reason I thought every game on the Xbox One would have dedicated servers. Power of the Cloud and all that!

I would have just stuck with the 360 if I'm gonna get the same problems...

Don't speak for everyone. I got issues like all but MM is looking more solid for me now

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Oh good. I'd rather know what's going on before you fix it since I have no idea when that will be (tomorrow or next year?) but please do devote your time to the fix more-so than typing responses. I'd really like to know what is going on, though. Looking forward to a post from Dan.

Hoping it's a more honest and informative update. I didn't enjoy the post earlier downplaying the problem by saying "some users" were having a problem and that "improvements" had been made. No, all users are having a problem and almost no improvement had been made. Keep it real.

UNSCleric

Still sitting here with 10+ Achievements that say, "Done! Unlocking..."

I have just under 8,000 Achievements unlocked and have never seen such a thing happen. These better unlock soon. How is even that part screwed up? Were there any tests whatsoever? Literally everything is broken.

Always a good idea. But of course people should be irritated. My experience has gotten better and better all day, barring some moments that were not directly connected to our initial issues. I'm hoping others are seeing significant improvements but of course when they are, they stop communicating because they're playing. Would be useful for me to see improvement anecdotes and descriptions.

Team Slayer is giving me some luck, although when I do eventually get in a game it's 3v1, 5v2. I've only had one 4v4 today and that kicked everyone after a few minutes.

So slightly better than yesterday, but not even close to where it needs to be

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Cool. I've updated the thread title accordingly to note that hosting is a fallback issue.

Alchemy

I would have really preferred they just make Halo 2 AE, and polish it and made sure it worked instead of re-releasing all the Halos.

I can't wait to hear what happened

5B7Pq1T.jpg

Cool. I've updated the thread title accordingly to note that hosting is a fallback issue.

Honestly, is it really acceptable that hosting is a fallback issue? Especially when it's done in the background, and not at all transparent to the user?

For all we know, 50% of all matchmaking could be P2P, but "TRUST US, WE ARE USING DEDICATED SERVERS!"

NJDEN

This is all super disappointing... I was totally going to grab an X-Box One for Halo MCC, but after hearing all these abysmal reviews makes me not want to : /

if that was even remotely true i'd expect this to be a problem for weeks to come.

my money would be on that not being the case.

You're right... They didn't include the entire multiplayer component on the disc because they wanted to test how fast everyone's download speeds were on Xbox Live.

Heretic

Honestly, is it really acceptable that hosting is a fallback issue? Especially when it's done in the background, and not at all transparent to the user?

For all we know, 50% of all matchmaking could be P2P, but "TRUST US, WE ARE USING DEDICATED SERVERS!"

Yes, it's perfectly acceptable.

hawk2025

You might be alone in that, aside from the "works" part.

...obviously the "works" part is essential to his preference :p

I think it's perfectly acceptable, and it's always good to have fallbacks.

But hopefully it puts a nail in the coffin of all the people thinking there are unlimited servers out there that every third party developer can use for free in a simple and easy manner.

Always a good idea. But of course people should be irritated. My experience has gotten better and better all day, barring some moments that were not directly connected to our initial issues. I'm hoping others are seeing significant improvements but of course when they are, they stop communicating because they're playing. Would be useful for me to see improvement anecdotes and descriptions.

Set a notification for tweets from me. Put it on a big screen in HQ.
When the game is working, I'll send you a loving tweet filled with a virtual high five, photos of kittens (for Jessica), along with a song that expresses my feelings.

And at that moment, you'll know.

Bob Loblaw? Shit. Watch out 343. He's very good.

NO. That's Barry Zuckerkorn.

Gestault

It's completely acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Sydle

Apologies suck. Nobody should be THANKING anybody at 343 for giving us an apology or an explanation. The only thing that we should thank them for would be for releasing a finished and quality product. They did not do that. We paid our $60 and the product has glaring flaws in it. It's unfinished. It's NOT done. We did not get what we paid for.

There's three options:

1. 343 didn't care that it was unfinished and they released it anyway.
2. Microsoft didn't care that it was unfinished and made 343 release it anyway.
3. 343/Microsoft are incompetent and didn't realize that they were releasing an unfinished product.

You want to thank them for apologizing for that? Holy jeez, what am I even reading? Why are we thanking them for apologizing for being inept?

Things go wrong. It's no justifiable reason to stop being nice to each other.

Thank you stinkles for keeping us updated!

Not played online yet working way through campaign first but look forward to going online soon.

Also find it laughable people thinking this is the xbones drive club.

Purest 78

Hardly. Sony have pushed DC hard .

Much harder than MS have MCC. I haven't seen a single ad for MCC, yet I've seen over two dozen ads for DC, not to mention the official bundle.

This was supposed to be a big new IP for Sony based on how Sony treated it, let's please not pretend it wasn't supposed to anything more than a quarterly release filler.

Are you seriously telling me Driveclub comes close to the magnitude of Halo?

Skullface

Come one bro, I know you're frustrated, I think we all are... But a very simple explanation for so many instances of p2p could be that they have to take the servers down periodically for maintenance. Or perhaps there's plenty of server space, but there's some difficulty dispersing traffic appropriately. We just have to wait and see is all.

The alternative is no online at all. So yeah, it's perfectly acceptable.

G_Berry

Banned

Thank you.

This is why I love neogaf!

The thing is, its not only matchmaking/dedicated servers that are having issues. 4 player co-op in H3/4 the frame-rates (it wasn't lag) were dropping very low (seemed like teens, to be honest) and there is stuttering in cut-scenes and all over the place.

I've also had to restart my Xbox One via a hard boot about 5 times because when I started loading up Halo MCC and going to notifications it just continually crashed the box, this didn't happen when I loaded up another game, the box was fine.

I wish i'd made a video of how bad it was, really.

Other people have mentioned the split-screen co-op issues too - I haven't played it, but it seems like there is plenty else that is wrong too, Digital Foundry did a good article or what works and what doesn't.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
..what do you want, exactly? If dedicated servers aren't available, would you rather sit there in loading limbo or play your goddamn game? If transparency is your bugaboo, I'm sure 343 can patch in some Price is Right flashing lights for you whenever the cloud goes down if that will make you feel better :\

GmO0ebW.gif

THIS WAY TO P2P MULTISHIZZLE

I believe you can tell when the majority of players have a yellow bar connection, in dedicated server matches I haven't seen a single yellow bar. But that could a different issue altogether.

Top Bottom