• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: MCC might not use dedicated servers (update: p2p only as fallback, post #278)

Nyoro SF

Making games on this level is hard work. You can't catch every bug, and there are things that are hard to test or plan for. A beta might have resolved some of that, but nobody can say for certain without knowing the innards of the project and XBL if it would have. I'm not going to pretend I know one way or the other but I do know it's hard work.

Additionally, I will say as a software developer (in a different field), that bugs absolutely are the bane of our existence. Especially in production. I've introduced bugs into my code, and when I don't catch it, the QA people don't catch it, but the customer does, I/we feel terrible. I can imagine that the guys at 343 that worked on this game feel the same damn way. You can call it ass kissing or whatever, but I know that it's not easy, and bugs are going to happen no matter how many god-tier engineers you have. So yeah it sucks that the game got out with these bugs, but take a goddamn step back and let them try and resolve it. Nobody died as a result of this release, so it's not a big deal. Once it's fixed I'm sure you can recoup that massive investment you put into the console and the game.

What you say about QA is true, but all of that flies out the window when you are forced to release the game before the holiday season begins because Microsoft is trying to fire all of its cannons.

There is no real excuse for such a broken game of this magnitude otherwise.

Portman

Good to hear they're working on it, and at least we have the singleplayer to keep us occupied if it doesn't cooperate for now.

I'm just curious to know if the online co-op is suffering from the same issue and if we can expect that to clear up as the matchmaking issues disappear? I tried all 4 games with a friend last night and 1&2 were laggy for him, 3 for both of us and 4 was fine.

anthonyOA

Anyone whose been playing halo for the last 10-13 years knows very well how different dedicated servers feel compared to p2p connections.

When you play the MCC and on the rare occasion that it actually works, all the anger just fades away and you see what an awesome game this is gonna be when it's all sorted.

People have every right to be mad. Some took time off work to play and then couldn't, and a lot of people (myself included) went out to buy and Xbox One just for this game. They'll fix it. Chill the fuck out.
m

This.

What you say about QA is true, but all of that flies out the window when you are forced to release the game before the holiday season begins because Microsoft is trying to fire all of its cannons.

There is no real excuse for such a broken game of this magnitude otherwise.

That's not how game Dev works. There's nothing like a game in the wild.

I'm getting more matches, but they are all uneven. 7v6, 5v4, 4v3 in Team Slayer. I finally managed to get 4v4 in Team Slayer, and of course, the lobby crashed within two minutes.

Earlier on I had 1 game on lockdown crash with scores at 5-2 or something, then another game after that failed to load the level... So even when I find other gamers the game shits itself.

Phat 2000 Dola

Neo Member
We DO have dedicated servers.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Yiasou Frank, any update on the "full breakdown of what happened"? Things seem to be heating up once again for this Gem on reddit.....

This game is still broken for me. Games that start with 3/8 players? 2nd controller simply cannot join my match without going to Single Player first, then having to move over to the matchmaking after?

Top Bottom