• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC: the 8 maps you probably never played IGN First

Admodieus

List for people who can't/don't want to watch video:

• Danger Canyon (Halo 1 PC)
  • Death Island (Halo 1 PC)
  • Gephyrophobia (Halo 1 PC)
  • Ice Fields (Halo 1 PC)
  • Infinity (Halo 1 PC)
  • Timberland (Halo 1 PC)
  • District (Halo 2 PC)
  • Uplift (Halo 2 PC)

Those Halo 1 PC maps were so good. But part of the reason I loved them was the server browser in the PC version - could jump on a CTF server and just play CTF for hours. If they don't have that in MCC, then I can only see these being used in pre-planned custom games with friends.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm going to assume its based off the Halo: CE PC codebase after watching that.

Dat jittering particles, anims, and HUD elements at 60fps. Halo PC never looked right at 60fps, and this doesn't either. I'm still buying and playing the crap out of it (going to relive those XBConnect days like nobody's business), but I was hoping 343i would have smoothed over Gearbox's rough edges :\

Mugatu

I had both Windows Halos but never played either online so this will be a first for me - I can't wait.

Danger Canyon and Ice Fields.

Oh god the memories... The nostalgia train and hype train are both running at full speed now.

I had both Windows Halos but never played either online so this will be a first for me - I can't wait.

You missed out on some great times.

Ryan_IGN

Appreciate all the kind words on our coverage folks. Means a lot, especially coming from GAF. :)

As for the Halo 1 netcode? Well I guess we'll find out next week. On Wednesday (11am PT) we're livestreaming the game for 2 hours with Max Hoberman. He'll be here at IGN in SF with me and connecting to a group of 343 folks up in Kirkland.

We're doing nothing but taking requests, BTW, so you can tweet at us and tell us what game/map/mode/custom settings you want. I think it's going to be really fun!

VinFTW

Appreciate all the kind words on our coverage folks. Means a lot, especially coming from GAF. :)

As for the Halo 1 netcode? Well I guess we'll find out next week. On Wednesday (11am PT) we're livestreaming the game for 2 hours with Max Hoberman. He'll be here at IGN in SF with me and connecting to a group of 343 folks up in Kirkland.

We're doing nothing but taking requests, BTW, so you can tweet at us and tell us what game/map/mode/custom settings you want. I think it's going to be really fun!

Man, I envy you.

Look forward to the stream.

I have an early request. Ask if the pistol is like the PC one or if it is like the console version.

Fuck yeah, can't wait for this.

All invisible, plasma pistols only, no vehicles or grenades, on Sidewinder.

Welcome to hell.

Hatchtag

Banned
I've only really played Halo 1 on PCs during one of my high school classes, and oddly enough, seems a lot of the maps we played on were the PC-only maps :p.

I will also say I was wrong and IGN's coverage has been terrific and well paced. Just enough info to hype up.

But now this is standard it must strive to achieve.

BigShow36

This is all I care about, so I will be waiting with bated breath.

I loved halo 1 LAN parties. With my group of friends we only had about 10 people play so 8v8 will be really nice on some of the maps.

Ryan, you must do this -- Hog Wars:
  • 4 players
  • Blood Gulch
  • Warthogs only
  • Everyone spawns Camo
  • Allow nothing but splatters and melees
  • Plasma weapon starts (to trick people by shooting charged Plasma Pistol shots across the map)
/best

So what game are the CE:A maps going to be listed under in the playlists? Because CE:A didn't have multiplayer on its own, right? Just maps for Reach?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to explore these maps for the first time. :)

Vire

Timberland is really the only good map out of the bunch unfortunately, but it's cool that they are in here nonetheless.

nomis

Chiron TL-34 all day

Sir TapTap

Simply because Halo 1 for the Xbox had no online, they knew the maps would be unused for the most part (Infinity with 4 players? No thanks) since only those with more than one Xbox in the room could take advantage of them.

I'm excited to see people's reactions to Halo CE's online because it was honestly my favorite experience out of all the Halo MP's.

I always forget Halo 1 has no online. Can hardly imagine even blood gulch with 4 people let alone gephy, infinity, etc. I always immediately went to the 15/16 servers myself. Death Island with all fuel rod guns was some good fun.

thats great, one of my biggest questions is the Halo 1 netcode
i think franky said its fully rewritten during a panel, but thats all we know so far

as for the stream game/mod requests, id be fine with regular CTF on Bloodgulch! :)

Welfare

There were only two new maps in the Vista version...

Example.

Example_(Map)_6.png

I absolutely loved Timerland and Death Island on PC... BRING IT ON! This has Game of the Decade potential written all over it. The value of this entire pack is just oozing out by this point.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, I have really good memories of those damn maps. The island level and the bridge were awesome.

I'm totally going to end up spending money I really don't have in this thing soon, aren't I? Must resist.

Top Bottom