• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo on Xbox One Wishlist Thread

Nutter

Seeing how Halo will never fully go back to what it was. They can STILL easily provide everyone something to play and enjoy. So for starters, at the playlist level..

Ranked Playlist Group that is like Halo 2/3 (purely rank based, no exp)

Team Slayer
Team Objective
Team Hardcore
Team Doubles
Lone Wolves

Infinity Playlist Group that is everything from Reach and 4 (this will also be be area where you gain EXP and perks/ordnance)

Infinity Slayer
Infinity BTB
Infinity Objective
Infinity Doubles
Rumble Pit

Social Playlist Group

Team Swat
Team Action Sack
Multi-Team

I could write hundreds of other things but seeing how they ignore everything else there is really no reason to type everything up.

Naked Lunch

Off the top of my head...

- Actual servers with map rotations. Im sick to death of waiting 5 minutes in-between each match while it searches for players - its 2013 and Halo 4 still does this. Unacceptable.

- I want to be able to play exactly the map and modes I want - not having to vote with a pool of idiots who are going to quit anyways if they dont get what they want. Server browsers and severs with set map rotations will solve this.

- More maps from the start. The past few Halo's initial map list has been miniscule and repetitive as hell.

- DLC maps in current Halo's rarely show up. Its almost laughable - you literally have to hope a pray the DLC you paid for shows up in matchmaking. Server browsers and severs with set map rotations will solve this.

- I want to see the game speed back to what Halo is known for. Halo 4 is about five times too fast - it doesnt feel like Halo because of the speed.

- I want to see them really expand the scale of the multiplayer big team battles. The Halo universe allows for so much potential. I want to see ODSTs dropping in the battle alongside Spartans. I want to see huge ship v ship battles in the skies above. Different classes of Spartans will be rad too. Slow and heavily armed or fast and quick with lower key weaponry - stuff like that. Tight and small arena maps are great and Halo's bread and butter - but it should be able to do large scale as well. Look at how Battlefield 3 scales down well with the close quarters maps. Same thing.

- I want to see them make Capture the Flag non-retard again. There should not be an icon displaying the flag carrier to the enemy team at all times like a wall hack. That this even has to be on this list is a travesty. Stop dumbing shit down - things should be getting more complicated and complex if anything.

- I trust 343 with the story despite hating the Didact. There is some very interesting places it can go and I loved the H5 trailer in the desert. Old Spartans should show up like the long lost Jun and Linda. That would be grade A amazing. H4's levels were compact and linear because they made the graphics insane on 360 - it most likely couldnt handle the big open levels with graphics of that quality. H4 is truly a sight to behold - 343 got the look of Halo down and then some.

Computer

I would like more attention to detail in the game. Things like armor damage or destructible environments to a small extent in the MP and campaign. I think it would be cool to have armor damage in MP. The damage should get worse with every fight. Then it would rest after you die. It should not affect game play.

InvisibleKnight

Neo Member
Someone should tweet this thread to 343i.
- Back to Arena Shooter.
- No perks.
- No Flinch.
- No recoil.
- Yes Descope.
- Good Maps.
- Real (locked 30/60fps) splitscreen support.
- Options for Custom Games.
- Custom Button Layout.
- "best of" remake map pack at launch.
- Better storytelling for campaign. No push this or that button again.
- No QTE.
- Improve SpOps drastically or bring back firefight (or both).
- more haloish armor designs.
- More balance in the sandbox, less duplicates, less bullsh... Boltshot.
- NO Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifle.
- Fixed loadouts.
- No personal or Global ordnance, bring back weapons on map.
- NO CAMO. NO PROMETHEAN VISION. NO HARD LIGHT SHIELDS or other OP Armor Abilities. Make AAs less game breaking (like thruster packs) or bring back equipments.
- Power-ups on maps.
- Improve Forge, for real this time and make forge maps stable in splitscreen.
- Clan Support.
- Custom Games Finder.
- Air vehicles and Chopper must be in. Mantis can die alone in a corner.
- Do some better decision making overall.

Start over 343i and forget Reach and 4. Be inspired by Halo 1, 2 and 3.

MegalonJJ

Banned
-No ordinance shit. Ever.
-No Armour abilities.
-Get rid of the shite scoring system and return to Halo 3s.
-Bring back Halo 3's medals.
-No weapon/loadout/perk unlocks.
-Tone down the Halo 4 bloom lighting
-Reduce auto-aim bullshit
-Use the more lively voices/death sounds from Halo 3 (not the current souless garbage)
-Return the focus of the campaign to combat, enemy AI and scale of combat. Not graphics emphasis and shitty bullet sponge enemies.
-Preferably have the game working before 90% of the population leaves the mp.

bangai-o

Banned
If you have it play like the old game it doesn't innovate, but innovate and you'll get the "it doesn't feel like Halo" comments.

i understand that argument, but they are not actually innovating. They are just adding call of duty elements to it, and if anybody wants to play cod, then they already have 2 dev studios making those games.

if 343 continues to try to emulate CoD, then their Halo audience is going to move on to Destiny.

Don't be like Halo Reach and Halo 4. Seriously, neither of them should be used as a template for Halo Xbox One. I expect to be disappointed though, I figure they'll build off what they started with Halo 4 unfortunately.

Also, I see people want to grenade launcher back. I can agree with that if they remove the EMP effect. The EMP effect should be ditched and never brought back in any future titles. I hate what it has done to vehicular combat in the games, it has been too detrimental to it.

Don't be like Halo Reach and Halo 4. Seriously, neither of them should be used as a template for Halo Xbox One. I expect to be disappointed though, I figure they'll build off what they started with Halo 4 unfortunately.

Also, I see people want to grenade launcher back. I can agree with that if they remove the EMP effect. The EMP effect should be ditched and never brought back in any future titles. I hate what it has done to vehicular combat in the games, it has been too detrimental to it.

I think it'd be fine if they:

-kept it to Plasma Pistol and Grenade Launcher only, sole exception being Campaign exclusive goodies or something weird like an Insurrectionist EMP jeep

-got rid of the goddamn Plasma Pistol from loadouts along with Plasma Grenades

-make sure EMP-inducing weapons aren't plentiful as hell

It seemed to work just fine for Reach outside of Invasion.

Booshka

EMP for vehicles is dumb overall, but if someone lands a Plasma Pistol charge shot or releases a Grenade Launcher blast at the right time to drain the pilot's shield that is fine by me. Disabling the vehicle and making it nade bait is pretty insane though, I could see disabling the vehicle's weapons for a few seconds after EMP being acceptable though. But if player to vehicle health damage model is implemented correctly, then a player with no shields in a vehicle unable of firing for a few seconds should be incapacitating enough.

Dropping a banshee out of the sky or stopping a land vehicle in its tracks with an EMP is fun, but not great for gameplay. My suggestion however, I think works fine though. And it allows the Grenade Launchers awesome and skill based attack to stay effective.

If abilities stay in the series I want to see them much minor then they are right now, so no wall hack vision, no armour lock, no pocket cloaking, it all needs to be subtle things like allow an extra nade on your person, slightly more ammo (not double), allow longer sprint time (not unlimited) and such.

Less 1 hit kill weapons, Halo 4 at times feels like a game where half of the weapons will 1 hit you no questions asked, what does not help is that you can get pocket rockets and binary rifles from personal drops, this really makes big team battles a bullshit mess.

On the same subject why does a spartan need to die so quickly, it feels like you are a walking glass cannon more so then a super soldier. With the latest halo 4 balance update they decided to buff all weapons instead of bring down the heavy hitters, the BR would have been fine as a 5 hit kill if the DMR was changed to 6-7 hit instead of left at 5. Due to this they also buffed the automatics so the game kills you faster then ever.

Less gauss hog with super auto aim, that thing is worse then a tank in halo 4 because it's super fast, nimble, usually takes 2-3 stickys to put it to rest and the gauss cannon is a beast on everything.

Much better map design, half of the disc based halo 4 maps are rather terrible once you start to learn them, the more I play halo 4 the more I hate the maps.

DLC maps should be available to everyone, sell something else instead like new armour and colours/skins, allow everyone to play new maps you spent months on because right now only about 160 people out of 25k are in the DLC play list, which only features the newest pack, not the ones before it... Selling maps is part of the reason a game dies early with a split player base.

• Either equal starts for every player or ONLY let the player change what Primary they spawn with. If Armour Abilities have to remain then make them an evolution of Halo 3's equipment, being a map pickup, only this time when they're equipped they should give a visual cue that the player has it equipped.
  • Tone down the newfound abundance of Power Weapons a tad, and make some of them harder to use again...tone down the aim assist on Snipers.
  • Bring back the Grenade Launcher! If you're afraid of nobody using it then make it an alt-mode for the Sticky-Det or something.
  • No Plasma Pistols/Stickies on spawn in BTB. Ever.
  • More diverse alien weapons. Please stop making clones of human weapons with slightly different behaviours.
  • In-game ranking system at launch.
  • No Binary Rifle or Incineration Cannon. Power weapons should be powerful but not "it's almost harder to miss" weapons.
  • Custom button mapping.
  • Bring back descoping at the very least if the DMR is returning. Reduce the auto-aim significantly so that it isn't just a point-and-shoot rifle out to ridiculous ranges. Increase the skill gap required to use the weapon.
  • In fact, reduce the aim assist on all precision weapons along with quicker kill-times.
  • Possibly a Custom Games browser. This would help with Halo's terrible DLC implementation.
  • Never, ever let a player spawn anything into the game whenever and wherever they want a la Personal Ordnance.
  • If the Prometheans are returning then please make them less of an utter chore. Knights are bull with their bullet sponging and teleporting when you finally break their shields.
  • Go back to a clean UI like Reach.

Hindle

Banned
This will never happen but I'd like elements of horror in future games.

The first time you meet the flood in the original was awesome Afterall.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

yeah, i had mentioned that as well. the flood isnt all that interesting to fight against UNLESS its in a scary doom sort of way. hopefully, halo xbox one would be able to afford for hugely epic battles no only with the scope of vehicular combat, but also in individual foes. imagine a level like the library (tight, constrained hallways, limited visibility) but with a literal flood of infection forms rushing you.

Hindle

Banned
yeah, i had mentioned that as well. the flood isnt all that interesting to fight against UNLESS its in a scary doom sort of way. hopefully, halo xbox one would be able to afford for hugely epic battles no only with the scope of vehicular combat, but also in individual foes. imagine a level like the library (tight, constrained hallways, limited visibility) but with a literal flood of infection forms rushing you.

Not necessary the Flood. Maybe a new Alien type that's actually way stronger then the Chief. Stopping them requires The Chief to be careful and quiet.

I know lol, a stealth horror game in the Halo universe, I'm crazy.

Less DMR would be a good thing for halo also, keep battles to a good medium instead of roaming the edge of the maps all the time, this is why I prefer objective game types in halo 4.

Also just to add some maps really need less vehicles, two banshees in a king of the hill mode? extremely OP if both are on one side.

gAg CruSh3r

Agreed but after seeing the Flood player models in Halo 4; I think they are going to be taking the flood to a more creepier and scarier direction.

FEA1E447-FC18-48DC-92F1-A41E59DE88B7-5046-0000009251AC5FBA.jpg

LAA

Probably wont get an Xbox One (If I do it will likely be at the very end of its life), but I found that Halo 3 is probably the most fun I've ever had online, and the Halo's after have just more slowly and slowly killed it.
The big gripe I have is custom games, they need forge to be better and offer more variety. I remember in reach it was pretty much just all grey shapes, which got really boring over time. I really loved the idea of forge world, but I think they need to have a similar map with more variety on each island or whatever.

The next gripe, which only really happened in Halo 4, is matchmaking playlists... Whoever thought it was a good idea to only have a selection of playlists active each week and change them depending on popularity doesnt have a clue, it just feels cheap to me, so please make them ALL active for the next game.

Also, I want more vehicle gameplay. I think its something that has gradually died down over time, and I really missed the "epic drive for your life!!!" mission in Halo 4. Maybe its because I havent played Halo 4 so much online, but it feels theres an absence of vehicles online too in Halo 4, and that was one of the most awesome things that appealed to me with Halo, it didnt seem many games had vehicles in online modes at the time and thats what made it stand out to me, so feels sad that exact thing isnt quite there anymore.

Lastly, I think I want some sort of gadget for use in campaign... Maybe something that can move blocks or something to jump on, or something similar that offers some sort of... puzzle? (if thats the right word). I think Halo has appealed to me a little as a sort of platformer, so I'd like to see that a little more in the next game, as well as some sort of gadget, if only to shake things up a little. Perhaps something new in terms of "Equipment" that usually changes in each new halo game...

Other than that, I like the sound of 60fps... I cant wait to see the graphics too. Not sure if that trailer was real time or not, but wasnt so impressive to me, either that or its a miracle 360 ran something like that.

JNT

1) Keep a good performance for split-screen MP games.

2) Difficulty should not come from making enemies bullet sponges.

3) Remove kill walls from campaign.

4) Weapons should not disappear from the battlefield in singleplayer.

5) Return to some more cartoonish graphics. It more clearly conveys important visual queues about a particular enemy you are facing.

6) Remove the customized gear and ordinance drops in MP.

7) Provide weapons and ammo on MP maps. Too many times have I run out of ammo in MP, and for what? For not dying and respawning with full ammo? Success should not be punished.

op_ivy

7) Provide weapons and ammo on MP maps. Too many times have I run out of ammo in MP, and for what? For not dying and respawning with full ammo? Success should not be punished.

duh, you should use the ammo perk.

this post is in jest btw. you shouldnt need a perk to correct anything about the game

GhaleonEB

Bring back Firefight mode (still can't believe this isn't in 4). Add something like COD's combat training to MP (bots). Put a real map editor in it.

Yeah. Firefight could have been greatly enriched by some of the very systems 343 developed: personal ordnance, custom load outs, global ordnance. I only got a few episodes into Spartan Ops, but I found it lacking in everything that I found compelling in Firefight: tension, escalation, sandbox gameplay.

op_ivy

No no no. Carbine is my favorite weapon in H4 right now.

oh, its mine too. i just find the needle rifle to have so much more personality. function-wise, they are very similar too, aside from the needle rifles super combine.

Tank

Neo Member
It would be cool to have a PC map editor (Maybe on windows store) for Halo 5. It would be able to be much more powerful than forge.

DesertFox

I would love to see Halo return to it's arena shooter roots. In my opinion, here are the biggest problems with Halo 4.

Armor Abilities: The problem with armor abilities is that the fun-to-frustrating ratio is so skewed towards frustrating for most of the abilities. Jet Pack, Invis, Hardlight shield are some major offenders. These don't provide fun gameplay moments, they only provide frustration. Ideally, armor abilites will be dropped for a return to equipment. At least in Halo 3, these special abilites were a 1 shot use - and you had to fight for them as they were placed on the map - not up your sleeve.

Perks: This is one of the worst changes brought by Halo 4. Does your enemy have 3 grenades? Will his shields recharge after the standard delay, or faster? Can he reload faster than me? It's literally impossible to tell. That arena shooter balance is gone because of the perks. These should be completely removed from future installments.

Killstreaks: These are probably the most blatant attempt at stealing the CoD crowd. The problem with killstreak rewards is that it results in completely inconsistent gameplay. Someone can get a needler as a reward, while the other gets a rocket launcher. It also results in inconsistencies with the amount of power weapons available. Are there zero rocket launchers out right now, or three? Halo needs to return to having weapons on the map again. Weapons on the map provides a static balance for power weapons both in number of power weapons on the map at any given time, and also which team gets it since the players have to fight for them.

I truly believe that Halo's (long-term) popularity problems aren't due to the fact that it isn't doing what other shooters are doing - it's that lately, Halo isn't doing what Halo 1-3 did well

Bsigg12

I want an all out map creator rather than object editor in forge.

Bring back flying vehicles to multiplayer.

More sci fi esque guns.

Keep the perk system in but refine it.

Replace the Promethean grenade. Its shit.

On the single player side, make sure you can follow the story without having to go through all the extra books or comics. Halo started as a videogame, and if I can't properly tell where the story is without adding all that other stuff, you're doing something wrong.

gatti-man

I don't care what they do specifically. Just make my jaw drop like in Halo combat Evolved. Give me moments of hopelessness and awe.

Been playing the new Legendary Slayer list this morning, and it;s as close to old school Halo as you can get right now.

The only thing H4 about it other than maps, really, is sprint. Everything else is set loadout, unmarked set map weapon drops, etc.

Try it. You'll like it.

op_ivy

Been playing the new Legendary Slayer list this morning, and it;s as close to old school Halo as you can get right now.

The only thing H4 about it other than maps, really, is sprint. Everything else is set loadout, unmarked set map weapon drops, etc.

Try it. You'll like it.

had no idea this launched today. will check out. any write ups on the changes?

had no idea this launched today. will check out. any write ups on the changes?
Via Waypoint:

Legendary Slayer is a variant that focuses on basic gameplay with only one loadout, on-map weapons and motion tracker enabled. Here are the key settings:

4 vs. 4 Slayer

Default starting weapon (Assault Rifle)
No Armor Abilities

Motion Tracker enabled

All weapons and grenades located on map (no initial, random or personal ordnance)

The singular loadout is:

Starting weapon: Assault Rifle
Secondary weapon: None
Armor Ability: None
Grenades: Frag x2
Support upgrade: Explosives
Tactical package: Resupply

The Legendary Slayer playlist launches Monday, July 15, on the following maps, which have been custom-created specifically for this playlist:
Haven
Solace
Adrift
Abandon
Landfall
Monolith
Skyline
Shutout

I don't mind armor abilities but I do think they should be a drop on the map. I think it would be great to give players the option to have it drop when you die or have it be a one-life use. I think they are fun to use but some of them are overpowered (like Jetpack or Armor Lock in Reach) in the right hands. Having to fight for them would go a long way toward making them more balanced.

There also shouldn't be cloaking and a sniper on the same level. Ever.

AKARASUNE

Neo Member
So instead of Armor abilities, I'd like to have an AI companion with me.
Be able to customize your AI appearance (color, sex, size, voice).
Be able to customize the look of your HUD.
AI companion basically replaces armor abilities.
Instead of picking one ability to start, have specific abilities unlocked by your AI in certain zones.
So say you get to an area, an ordinance style HUD pops up with 3 different AI abilities you can use only within that zone.
Instead of being stuck with one ability throughout one life, your have a ton of variety to use.
Hypothetically, you could use every ability in one life throughout the entire map.
Your "AI" can be programmed before a match so that you can choose which specific abilities show up in each style of zones.
This would also get rid of man cannons, grav lifts, teleporters, etc.

It's like a perk system within a perk system that can only be used in certain areas of the battlefield - basically combining armor abilities, equipment, and perks into one thing.

Demon Ice

Banned
Take the CoD from it

PTMIotW.jpg

Leave it to CoD

eNB6f8o.png

Yep, this. I don't care what else they do, get that COD garbage out of Halo, bring back wide open, expansive, creative Halo combat. Plop me down in the middle of a huge arena with multiple friendly and enemy tanks, troops, and let me go to town.

Defect

Someone should tweet this thread to 343i.
- Back to Arena Shooter.
- No perks.
- No Flinch.
- No recoil.
- Yes Descope.
- Good Maps.
- Real (locked 30/60fps) splitscreen support.
- Options for Custom Games.
- Custom Button Layout.
- "best of" remake map pack at launch.
- Better storytelling for campaign. No push this or that button again.
- No QTE.
- Improve SpOps drastically or bring back firefight (or both).
- more haloish armor designs.
- More balance in the sandbox, less duplicates, less bullsh... Boltshot.
- NO Incineration Cannon and Binary Rifle.
- Fixed loadouts.
- No personal or Global ordnance, bring back weapons on map.
- NO CAMO. NO PROMETHEAN VISION. NO HARD LIGHT SHIELDS or other OP Armor Abilities. Make AAs less game breaking (like thruster packs) or bring back equipments.
- Power-ups on maps.
- Improve Forge, for real this time and make forge maps stable in splitscreen.
- Clan Support.
- Custom Games Finder.
- Air vehicles and Chopper must be in. Mantis can die alone in a corner.
- Do some better decision making overall.

Start over 343i and forget Reach and 4. Be inspired by Halo 1, 2 and 3.

This. So much this.

Top Bottom