• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo on Xbox One Wishlist Thread

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What do you guys want to see from Halo 5 and whatever other Halo games that are coming out on Xbox One? Tons of people wanted 60FPS and Dedicated Servers and those wishes have been granted. There's got to be more though. Here's my personal list:

-15+ Maps on disc at launch. We never have enough maps and DLC has always been hit or miss
-PC spectator client. Have it work in conjunction with the Xbox One to connect to custom lobbies on LAN or Xbox Live. It would perform much like what we have in StarCraft 2 as far as how spectators are invited and how the lobbies are set up. That would be ideal. That would also allow streamers and casters to just capture the screen footage with software rather than buying a separate capture card.
-Bring back multiple, classic Halo maps. Why not have Midship in every Halo game from here until the end of time? .
-Fewer weapons. The more weapons, the more difficult it is for the game to be balanced. I'd rather have the game be balanced properly than have many weapons including multiple weapons that fill the same role.
-A robust, day 1 ranking system. I'd like to see a ranking system that Halo has not seen before. A former Blizzard employee who worked on matchmaking and ranking systems (Joshua Menke) has joined 343 and I would love to see a ranking system that is heavily influenced by StarCraft 2's system. We saw something similar in Reach however the execution was abysmal. Divisions, ladders, seasons all of it.
-MS/343 run online tournaments and tournament playlists. We're seeing this with Halo 4 however there aren't and probably will not be any traditional bracket tournaments. With Next Gen Halo's dedicated servers, I would hope that this could now be a possibility.
-Faster playlist updates and map integration. There are currently multiple playlists in Halo 4 that haven't seen significant and necessary updates in months.

I think that's a good start for me, what would you all like to see?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PROPER MAP EDITOR

NOT AN OBJECT EDITOR

A MAP EDITOR. AN EVERYTHING EDITOR, IF YOU WILL.

Please take Forge to the next level. Please make it something that can compete with what Trials Evolution and Far Cry have set standards for.

I will return with a less emotional list later.

-Bigger variety of enemies in single player
-Larger open areas for combat in single player
-Even better AI
-New weapons
-New vehicles
-Full 1080p
-Return of Arbiter
-
Cortana returns
-Have the Chief pilot his own ship and able to land on different planets or semi-open world ala ODST

Ghazi

PROPER MAP EDITOR

NOT AN OBJECT EDITOR

A MAP EDITOR. AN EVERYTHING EDITOR, IF YOU WILL.

Please take Forge to the next level. Please make it something that can compete with what Trials Evolution and Far Cry have set standards for.

I will return with a less emotional list later.

Read this as PREORDER MAP EDITOR and was like fuck no

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Take the CoD from it

PTMIotW.jpg

Leave it to CoD

eNB6f8o.png

Can we please remove armor abilities?
Or at least completely revamp them.

Thruster Pack is nice, but I don't want to see Active Camo, Jetpack, or Promethean Vision return.

Kyari

I hope that it has shooting aliens and master chief.

(also there's no way we're getting 15 maps on the disc. More like 5.)

FyreWulff

A way to define areas on the map where you can change player traits ie make them jump with less gravity on the outside of a space station

Fracas

#fuckonami
What I want:

-Good number of maps, focus on small maps
-No armor abilities/loadouts/perks/sprint/flinch/armor mods
-Bring back equipment
-New, exotic weapons that aren't just a reskinned human weapon
-Solid campaign level design, with better enemies
-A compelling main story
-Spartan Ops overhaul + Firefight
-Competent playlist management

What will actually happen:

-Halo 4 part II

1. Lessen the tendency to give everyone on the map a power weapon at the same time. They have pulled back with the rebalanced weapons and the new map resets/weapon drops a little bit, but they could pull back further.

2. Get rid of jetpacks. It's the main reason people think they don't like many new maps. Turn off jetpacks and the maps tend to get better. Lots of games make the same mistake, from Halo to World of Warcraft. You also see it when remade maps pop up. See: The Pit remake Pitfall. It's gonna not play nearly as well with flying players.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Three-way battles.

My most disappointing part of Halo 4, despite enjoying it overall, was when the Covenant and Prometheans joined forces. Especially after teasing us with that brief section where they were enemies.

Raymo

What I want:

-Good number of maps, focus on small maps
-No armor abilities/loadouts/perks/sprint/flinch/armor mods
-Bring back equipment
-New, exotic weapons that aren't just a reskinned human weapon
-Solid campaign level design, with better enemies
-A compelling main story
-Spartan Ops overhaul + Firefight
-Competent playlist management

What will actually happen:

-Halo 4 part II

A cohesive vision for the multiplayer. Halo 4 launched as a weird hybrid of Battlefield, CoD, and traditional Halo. Save the Battlefield stuff for Halo 5: ODST or whatever the next yearly release is called and remove the CoD design elements entirely.

They need to make Halo their own thing.
No, they need to make a Halo game. That doesn't mean keep everything exactly as it was, but additions need to make sense within the confines of what makes Halo Halo.

If they want to make their own thing then build a new studio to make a new IP. 343i exists to create and maintain Halo content.

Tawpgun

A way to define areas on the map where you can change player traits ie make them jump with less gravity on the outside of a space station
Isn't that possible with halo 4 forge?

Anyway, it's kinda sad to say but the thing I want most from a new halo is to make it more like old halo.

The direction 4 took the franchise needs to be seen as a mistake.

I could probably go on for a while on what I want, but just make Halo again. Fuck the shitty XP unlocks, and Call of Duty garbage.

All I want is a good Halo game.

FyreWulff

Isn't that possible with halo 4 forge?

In theory.

You'll randomly have the PVTs revert to default traits if you edit the map after convincing the game to save them correctly, and they tend to not survive the conversion process so they can't be used in matchmaking maps.

So the suggestion is really "make them work this time"

Remove the jetpack. It's the worse addition to any franchise I've ever seen. Completely breaks the entire metagame.

Remove ordinance drops. They're unnecessary and I don't like the idea of someone winning in Halo getting even more of an advantage. In CoD it works because of the low TTK but in Halo controlling the power weapons is everything and a player can always come back when they pick up the Sniper Rifle.

Remove the Fuel Rod Cannon. It's overpowered. There's a reason Bungie usually stayed away from this in multiplayer.

Remove all those little perks added in Halo 4. The thing about perks is Halo doesn't need them. They shouldn't be there because they upset the balance of the game. By adding perks that barely change the gameplay you're adding something that's totally unnecessary.

Keep Armor Abilities and Classes. These are find its nice to be able to start with a close range weapon or a long range one. AA also add great variety to gameplay. But you have to be careful about what you add. Don't add Armor Lock or Jetpack because they fundamentally change the way the game is played. That's not good.

Add the Halo 2 ranking system from the very start. Make it 1-100 instead of 1-50. Keep all the armor permutations from Halo 4 and add more.

Add a Forge Mode that is what Halo players have been asking for. You need to have 3 different forge maps minimum. There needs to be variety in those 3 maps. Also add themes/skins for maps. The same grey maps over and over is ridiculous. Allow Forge makers to make maps more customizable. Add night and day. Maybe weather effects as long as they don't impact performance.

The game should be native 1080p resolution and 60 FPS. Any shooter that isn't at least that will fall by the wayside next gen (I'm looking at you Halo Killer: Shadow Fall).

Edit: Also make on the SP side of things add more variety in the maps. Make some levels like ODST (that soundtrack sogood.gif). Make some like Halo 1. Make some like Halo 4.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Give me Halo 3.5. Or give me Halo 2+3=5. I'd buy an Xbox just to be able to play such a Halo again with a fresh playerbase.

Booshka

Halo CE on XBL with Dedicated Servers and 60 FPS.

It'd be cool if 343 could make a Halo game of their own that is a great Halo game while still being unique, but I don't trust them to do it. So, just put all your MS money and hundreds of employees into making Halo CE work at 60 FPS and on XBL.

I don't really care what they do, I'm just a voyeur to the trainwreck that is the Halo franchise at this point.

Werhil

- Remove armor abilities entirely. If they must stay, rework them drastically. Active Camo and Promethean Vision must be gone. I can live with Reach style sprint and jetpacks.

- Remove perks.

- Remove loadouts. If they must stay, it should be limited to weapons pistols and assault rifle type weapons, no starting with DRM or Battle Rifle. (Unless its a special playlist)

- Remove ordinance drops, and do not add anything remotely like a kill or death streak.

- Weapon spawns are static and timed as in previous games, allowing map control to mean something.

- Create a skill-based ranking system! The arena from Halo Reach was a good start. Build on that, and it should be completely integrated and visible throughout the game, not hidden on a website.

Toa TAK

Banned
Theater mode for campaign and spartan ops? Bring back Reach's Forge mode, or at least all of its options. Remember how Bungie's Halo campaigns didn't require reading the books to know what was going on or to enjoy the campaign? Do that. Bring back The Arbiter. Have a better story in Spartan Ops.

All of these things probably won't happen, so bring on Halo 4 part II. Play 2000 more wargames for an avatar award!

-PXG-

- Overall, I want Halo on Xbox One to be a return to form. Do away with armor abilities, perks, loadouts and CoD bullshit. Just bring it back to regular ass Halo. Halo 2 was and still is the series' peak when it comes to the multiplayer.

- Maps that aren't big as hell. Maps with logical progression without random assortment of ramps, stairs or confusing corridors.

- Global ordinances can rot in ninth circle of hell. Whoever thought those were a good idea must have been on drugs. Get rid of them. Bring back classic weapon spawns and call it a day.

- Make Elites playable again, with unlockable armor and goodies.

- Bring back Firefight. Spartan Ops is a neat idea, but it just feels rushed and slapped together. No amount of "story" or CG can make it feel like real work went into making it fun. With that said, make it ODST's though. Reach's FF was lame with the time limit. Plus, being Spartans, you felt over powered. There was no challenge whatsoever. Bring back the sense of survival and make the mode true to it's namesake. Make it intense.

- Fix matchmaking so that it doesn't start a new a game with only four people, or have it so it's me versus a full, stacked ass team.

- Make the Forerunner weapons feel and act different. As is, they're merely the third tier carbon copies of their UNSC and Covenant counterparts. There is really nothing special or unique about them.

- Again, big ass open maps are not fun, especially if everyone can spawn with a DMR. It breaks the game. The DMR clearly has it's place in the game, but making every level open basically undermines anything that isn't a long range, precision weapon.

- As for the campaign, I just want it to be memorable. For lack of a better word, make it epic. Have it make sense. And please, for the love of God, respect those who haven't read the books. I'm not going to scour Wiki pages for hours to understand what is going on. Include the lore IN THE GAME, next time, and not on Waypoint.

- Forge is bullshit. I want a real level editor, or the very best you can put in a console game.

clav

Smartglass level editor
Friendly fire in MP is a standard, not an option to turn off for regular matchmaking.

Get rid of perks. Get rid of weapon unlocks. Get rid of Killstreak rewards. Get rid of armor abilities.

Oh and FFS, make forge an actual map editor. If Far Cry can throw in a fully functional map editor there is no goddamn reason the premiere franchise on the console is still making people work with crappy grey walls. Its not like that will cut into your DLC sales cause going by the playlists no one is buying that crap anyway.

Top Bottom