• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Fuchsdh

Well it's like counter-strike

Your life is more valuable than your ability to do stupid things

Pros: tendency to be more organized games
Cons: tends to slow down to a halt, camping becomes prolific

There'd obviously have to be an incentive in that type of a game (like CS uses with hostages and bombs)

In a Halo game, powerups are one way to do that... Objective is another but it would require an overhaul...CS mitigates this by leaving objectives in multiple spots on the map. This allows offense to overload and defense to spread.

So imagine it's a one sided 2 flag or 1 bomb assault with multiple points of arming... It would essentially be CS

Hence why if it's legit, having the arena shrink down to force confrontation makes an elegant solution in theory to the issues of camping; you could be put at a disadvantage if you're scrambling to move at the last minute versus being active on the map.

-Ryn

Banned
No get back on the ledge. I am talking about two separate things. ADS gameplay no.

Changed animation yes.

Also new gameplay feature on top of that. Ledge is merely wider than you thought. With safety netting and bird spikes.
aJ56QnI.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I still don't understand. I'm guessing you mean the animation to look down the site vs the original scope in "animation?"

Either way, thanks for clarifying this stuff. Sounds promising.

Yes. More or less. Josh delineated the gameplay functionality yesterday. It's mostly aesthetic. There will be per weapon nuances as usual but retaining legacy functionality across the board. Except new weapons, obviously but even those will behave the way you would expect.

You'll see it in context tonight with some fairly high end gameplay.

Watch for skill gap stuff.

And only like forty something sleeps till you try it. Also some regular people will be posting uncensored impressions. No slurp contracts.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Not in terms of gameplay as you understand it. No. Read Josh's clarification from yesterday. Animation? Watch tonight. You will see one nee aspect where you will be like, "why would a skilled player even DO that?" And you'll be right. It's a toggleable feature for babbys (imo)

No get back on the ledge. I am talking about two separate things. ADS gameplay no.

Changed animation yes.

Also new gameplay feature on top of that. Ledge is merely wider than you thought. With safety netting and bird spikes.

I want to kiss you right now.

Madness

Pretty gutsy of them to even try these new changes, especially after Halo 4. Xbox One isn't in an enviable position and Halo is their most important IP. This game could literally make or break the future of the franchise. And that's not hyperbole.

belushy

Banned
Yes. More or less. Josh delineated the gameplay functionality yesterday. It's mostly aesthetic. There will be per weapon nuances as usual but retaining legacy functionality across the board. Except new weapons, obviously but even those will behave the way you would expect.

And only like forty something sleeps till you try it. Also some regular people will be posting uncensored impressions. No slurp contracts.

We gonna see a match of Breakout tonight or nah

-Ryn

Banned

And only like forty something sleeps till you try it. Also some regular people will be posting uncensored impressions. No slrp contracts.
FTFY

The wait is killing me!!

Pretty gutsy of them to even try these new changes, especially after Halo 4. Xbox One isn't in an enviable position and Halo is their most important IP. This game could literally make or break the future of the franchise. And that's not hyperbole.
truth

Good stuff. I'm probably not good enough to pick out the finer details of that but it certainly sounds good.

Can't wait for the reveal stuff. Thanks for posting Frank.

link1201

How long is this event tonight? If I start it, I will want to finish it. (Exams need to be stuided for though)

3 Shot pistol confirmed

I'm interested in watching this thing tonight so mission accomplished on that front

I agree, I feel very optimistic now.

I do feel bad for 343 staff though. They are obviously very talented and have to keep quiet about various things while trying to quell frustration and misinformation/assumptions 24/7. The fact that I see 343 staff jump onto Twitter and forums on weekends makes me feel bad. I wouldn't want to have to pay attention to work related things on the weekends all the time. =/

Not in terms of gameplay as you understand it. No. Read Josh's clarification from yesterday. Animation? Watch tonight. You will see one nee aspect where you will be like, "why would a skilled player even DO that?" And you'll be right. It's a toggleable feature for babbys (imo)

Oh no not this excuse again :/

Remember when pro vision was a togable feature for babbys

Yea, no skilled players will ever use that.

...lol

This and this ^^^

Whether or not the gameplay is affected, have ya'll retcon'd the original reason ADS isn't in Halo to begin with? Namely the HUD link between Spartans and weapons (including alien ones)?

Omni

I can't get any of my allies to follow me in Halo 2

like the marines just won't move. Not even the Elites were doing it when I was playing as the Arbiter. Very peculiar. Maybe they've seen how much heroic is embarrassingly kicking my ass and just want nothing to do with it

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The screenshots I've seen have has that dull color, but all the in-game stuff has looked nice and saturated. Maybe it's just the way they take screenshots. I guess we'll see tonight!

Detective

Thanks for clarifying. We will see it tonight.

One question Frankie:
How far are the game now graphically compared to these shots? Will it gett better?

Akai__

Just got confirmation, that you can do some of these bad MP achievements in custom games (like picking up Overshield 5 times on Warlord in 1 game).

Thanks 343i. People won't boost them in Matchmaking now,
except if they don't know. :p

I'm super willing to give ADS a shot if it's as Josh said.

I'm really looking forward to a faster Halo, Eager to play the Beta.

All that said, I'm about 4 and a half hours away from some Halo goodness.

Today is a good day.

Whether or not the gameplay is affected, have ya'll retcon'd the original reason ADS isn't in Halo to begin with? Namely the HUD link between Spartans and weapons (including alien ones)?

Pretty easy to work around that IMO. Multiplayer Spartans are using armor that doesn't have that firmware, because of budget limitations/wider reaching Spartan program or something else.

BigShow36

Hopefully some of it relating to the actual shooting and aiming.

Just got confirmation, that you can do some of these bad MP achievements in custom games (like picking up Overshield 5 times on Warlord in 1 game).

Based Croatia!!!

You just made my day!

FfpNzx2.gif

Pretty easy to work around that IMO. Multiplayer Spartans are using armor that doesn't have that firmware, because of budget limitations/wider reaching Spartan program or something else.

This is why I'm asking :)
The next question would be, if there's no gameplay effect, and it's purely cosmetic, what's the justification for the change. Trust me, I'm hyped, but I'm legitimately curious about design change decisions.

This sounds like it could work. It all ultimately depends on its execution, but I'm excited to see it all tonight either way.

like the marines just won't move. Not even the Elites were doing it when I was playing as the Arbiter. Very peculiar. Maybe they've seen how much heroic is embarrassingly kicking my ass and just want nothing to do with it

Like not at all or just in certain areas?

Omni

Yeah, I noticed this. I was looking at the multiplayer maps in custom games by myself and I got the achievement for winning 10 games even though I've yet to go into a match made game

Like not at all or just in certain areas?
It tends to be when you get reinforcements or whatever. They'll literally just go to point A and not move.

Like I'm on Delta Halo right now and at the bit where you get the first weapon drops from the pelican. The marines moved to the doorway of the structure but that's it. On the Arbiter mission, my Elites wouldn't leave the drop off area on both occasions.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
When 343 say halo 5 will bring back arena shooters, i hope to god they will be as close as possible to hce or quake in regards to quick kill time, timed power weapons and timed power ups, also health packs would be nice.

The next question would be, if there's no gameplay effect, and it's purely cosmetic, what's the justification for the change. Trust me, I'm hyped, but I'm legitimately curious about design change decisions.

I would guess it is what others speculated before. Most other shooters are doing it now and it is a cosmetic change to allow them to jump over without complaining about it.

If it doesn't affect gameplay aside from taking up a bit of screen space at the bottom, I don't see how it is a huge drastic change that will horrifically alter gameplay (not that you were saying it was).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh no not this excuse again :/

This and this ^^^

Still helmet wifi canonically. Just perspective shift to allow Spartans better peripheral safety.

I mean that is kind of esoteric justification and has no real import.

-Ryn

Banned
Well if it's a toggle that's already a step in the right direction imo. I too would like to hear the thought process behind it though.

Impala26

like the marines just won't move. Not even the Elites were doing it when I was playing as the Arbiter. Very peculiar. Maybe they've seen how much heroic is embarrassingly kicking my ass and just want nothing to do with it.

tumblr_ly2syqYKgT1qc4v9ro1_500.gif

Booshka

Hopefully some of it relating to the actual shooting and aiming.

I'd be surprised if the shooting skill in Halo 5 is what we would hope. After playing Halo 4 and seeing how mind numbingly easy shooting is in that game, I doubt it will go back to more skill based shooting for Halo 5.

Looks like most of the skill gap will be through the player movement and map knowledge.

MegalonJJ

Banned
If the ADS animation is a toggle option, does that mean I can play Halo 5 and never see this ADS animation? The scoped view would be like previous Halo titles right?

Top Bottom