• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Halo 4: preview leaked from a barn.
Halo 5: preview written by a barn.

Can you imagine if an article like that appeared in the Wall Street Journal?

"This stock is kind of whatever with all of its moving up and down and also jetpacks and earnings. I bought a lot of shares with the new Smart Buy--which I'm totally not going to describe in any useful way because to me words are just things that come out of my mouth that only sometimes match the pictures in my head. Also: I'm so fucking sick of capital markets."
<3

Impala26

Yup, agreed. We're already used to watching out for melees, possession of power weapons, grenades, etc. And in Halo 2 we had to watch out for the added variable of button glitches -- something many people praised. Now we have a whoooole lot else to watch out for. Some of it might be terrible, some of it might work really consistently with the classic Halo formula.

+1

I like that it still looks like Halo in terms of weapons sandbox and gametype, but there are new mechanics to master BEYOND that. But now EVERYONE has access to them so you definitely know the breadth of what to expect from any given opponent. Honestly, it sounds like 343 is almost injecting fighting game design principles into Halo with this stuff when you look at it. And I'm not upset by that at this point, just curious.

Guess we'll have to see though...

-Ryn

Banned
I will point out that all evidence we have thus far of "evolving Halo gameplay" has in fact led to lower and lower population numbers.
I'd rather they take risks and try to do new things than just play it safe. This is how we get better games. Experimentation.

That said I don't know how much of Halo 4 was actually them thinking it would be good for Halo and how much was just them throwing in shit because it's "modern".

Hmm, I'm guessing that the Spartans in the preview pics are indeed from an old build, using Halo 4 assets. I bet the footage we see later today will be a newer build, or at the very least, what we play during the beta.

Because, those Spartans look awful. They seem straight out of Halo 4, the colors are muted, but most importantly they seem to be lacking proper details, textures and shaders.

I have my early opinions about the gameplay discussed, but I'm gonna hold off on it until I actually see it and play it. It'll hold more gravity and legitimacy that way. That said, the vaulting over objects thing is has no place in Halo IMO.

If they brought back cool weapons with unique traits, that would be enough to "evolve" the gameplay without the need for sprint/ADS. I'm talking about creative weapons like those found in Turok, Unreal Tournament, plasma stun, quick Camo with automatics, etc. Then add in default Thrusters, a better strafe, faster base movement and boom, Halo has evolved without compromising core fundamentals/gameplay.

The double jump is sure going to change things up, maybe more than sprint/ADS.

EDIT: No double jumps confirmed.
There is ZERO double jump. That is bad translation of Italian weirdness and I am going to be honest, that leak this morning didn't even make sense.

I was like, "huh, what is he talking about? It doesn't do any of that."

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, let's make some launch plans. I've got the digital version pre-installed, so I'll be on right when it unlocks in North America (9pm for me!). I'm gonna want to mostly play H2A multiplayer, and it'd be cool to get a full lobby of eight people together.

Booshka

Nope. It's many times worse

Please stop calling this game halo 5. It isn't a halo game.

That's fine, just don't consider it Halo and play it on its own merits, not tied to the Franchise. Lot less baggage that way.

Game could be fun so long as they do it right, Sprint sucks, ADS cosmetic is dumb, but if it's fast, has cool movement mechanics and the shooting takes skill, it can still be a fun game. Even if it's not explicitly what a lot of us are looking for in a Halo game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
So, let's make some launch plans. I've got the digital version pre-installed, so I'll be on right when it unlocks in North America (9pm for me!). I'm gonna want to mostly play H2A multiplayer, and it'd be cool to get a full lobby of eight people together.

I will be there. Hopping on around 30 minutes before it unlocks to make sure everything's working and updated.

The Flash

Banned

I'm opening up a bottle of Mountain Dew and playing a few campaign missions before jumping into multi.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Agq5il9.jpg
At first glance, looks like quake live, really digging the arena style map astherics and design.

Sounds fun. Count me in, though be prepared for me to crash and burn :p

Omni

Seems to be lots of pop-in during the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign. Like entire trees and stuff. Playing Delta Halo and the crashed drop pods in the start area pop in as I pan around. Weird

Seems to be lots of pop-in during the Halo 2 Anniversary campaign. Like entire trees and stuff. Playing Delta Halo and the crashed drop pods in the start area pop in as I pan around. Weird

NOOOOOOooooo!!

Ugh. I had an overdose of pop-in with sunset overdrive. It's the worst.

Totally kills all the artistic value to me when playing a game. =(

jem0208

I no longer have interest in playing the beta.

This sounds like a B game designers masterpiece.

Nope. It's many times worse

Please stop calling this game halo 5. It isn't a halo game.

You seem to not understand what hyperbole is.

In relation to this: "this looks good!" Is hyperbole

"This isn't a halo game" is fact.

It's like trying to sell Halo:CE as the next quake.

This game is vastly different to Halo games in every respect.

Except I don't assume.

I count 5 assumptions.

Really? Damn. Pop is like the only graphical oddity I seem to notice. Everyone goes on about screen tearing and low resolution but I never notice that when I'm actually playing the game.

Launch halo 2 quarantine zone and grab the Sputnik skull, then mess with my online profile customizing all my stuff, play a few rounds of each and every playlist, launch h2a forge and mess around for a while, then launch halo ce and start the long road to playing all of Chief's story so far.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If they brought back cool weapons with unique traits, that would be enough to "evolve" the gameplay without the need for sprint/ADS. I'm talking about creative weapons like those found in Turok, Unreal Tournament, plasma stun, quick Camo with automatics, etc. Then add in default Thrusters, a better strafe, faster base movement and boom, Halo has evolved without compromising core fundamentals/gameplay.

The double jump is sure going to change things up, maybe more than sprint/ADS.

There is ZERO double jump. That is bad translation of Italian weirdness and I am going to be honest, that leak this morning didn't even make sense.

Save the freakin until tonight at which point it will be evidence based and 100% legitimate. And for the love of god (Dopey) make sure that your feedback on the beta stays coherent and insightful. That's going to be key for you and us.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I count 5 assumptions.

Really? Damn. Pop is like the only graphical oddity I seem to notice. Everyone goes on about screen tearing and low resolution but I never notice that when I'm actually playing the game.

Then you failed at counting. Just like you fail at slurping.

And don't worry Frankie, I will have literal design documents and likely math and maybe even sims just to counteract some things

I was going to do the same for reach beta but I got way too upset :(

Impala26

I'd rather they take risks and try to do new things than just play it safe. This is how we get better games. Experimentation.

That said I don't know how much of Halo 4 was actually them thinking it would be good for Halo and how much was just them throwing in shit because it's "modern".

I love the CE Pistol as much as anyone, but I also certainly loved the addition of certain mechanics over the years with each Halo entry that I felt improved gameplay:

Halo 2: Dual wielding (made some crap guns half-decent) and Vehicle Boarding (changed the dynamics of vehicle combat)

Halo 3: EMP disables vehicles (gives an ancillary function to the Plasma Pistol) and "Heavy Weapons" (powerful, but slows your movement speed)

Halo Reach: Best Forge mode to date (barring H2A's yet to be seen long-term)

Halo 4: Well, nothing solid added to the "core" (imo), but I thoroughly enjoyed the new multiplayer gametypes of Regicide, Dominion, and Ricochet.

Let's wait and see how this Halo 5 stuff REALLY shakes out before getting into a tizzy just yet...

Halo 5 seems to be using some basic real time reflections which is exciting:

1tiXN83.jpg

Let's hope the armor and visors are placeholder, and we get to see some shine and reflections there as well.

Save the freakin until tonight at which point it will be evidence based and 100% legitimate. And for the love of god (Dopey) make sure that your feedback on the beta stays coherent and insightful. That's going to be key for you and us.

Yeah, this must have been a weird couple of days for you guys :p

The Flash

Banned

Scratchin' double jump off the list

-Ryn

Banned

Stinkles savin' the day once again

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Frank, can you please confirm or deny that ads is in Halo 5?

Real simple answer, yes it is or no it isnt. :)

philipnash19

Neo Member

Stinkles I think everyone is handling themselves a lot better today in terms of waiting for the full story from you guys instead of "freakin" thank god :) I trust you guys

GoDs DeMoNaToR

Neo Member

I like this guy.

jem0208

Let's hope the armor and visors are placeholder, and we get to see some shine and reflections there as well.

The armour definitely is placeholder. It's exactly the same model as the default Recruit armour from Halo 4.

Then you failed at counting. Just like you fail at slurping.

No, I think you're the one who fails to understand the meaning of assumption.

5. You assumed that you don't assume.

Actually 6, he makes 2 assumptions in one of his posts.

Edit: And I love the how being positive is considered a bad trait around here. I'm hardly over positive as well, just far less negative than some.

dwells

Legitimate question, not intended to be harsh: how much does our feedback on the beta actually matter? I ask since a very sizable portion of the Halo community has been vocal about their dislike of sprint ever since Reach, but it's been in Halo 4 and now Halo 5. Same thing with ADS - it's been said by the community many, many times that we don't want to see ADS or anything like it, but here it is in Halo 5.

So it kind of seems like a lot of our feedback in the past hasn't been impactful, so I'm kind of skeptical of how much it will matter for the beta.

-Ryn

Banned
I love the CE Pistol as much as anyone, but I also certainly loved the addition of certain mechanics over the years with each Halo entry that I felt improved gameplay:

Halo 2: Dual wielding (made some crap guns half-decent) and Vehicle Boarding (changed the dynamics of vehicle combat)

Halo 3: EMP disables vehicles (gives an ancillary function to the Plasma Pistol) and "Heavy Weapons" (powerful, but slows your movement speed)

Halo Reach: Best Forge mode to date (barring H2A's yet to be seen long-term)

Halo 4: Well, nothing solid added to the "core" (imo), but I thoroughly enjoyed the new multiplayer gametypes of Regicide, Dominion, and Ricochet.

Let's wait and see how this Halo 5 stuff REALLY shakes out before getting into a tizzy just yet...
I think one of the key problems with Halo 4 was the fact that it didn't really add anything to the "core" gameplay of Halo. Most of it was just fluff that only cluttered things. What Halo 5 is doing will actually add to the core gameplay.

Onikaan

Frank, where will we be able to watch the reveal when I wake up?

Will it be on the Halo Channel?

BigShow36

Frank, can you please confirm or deny that ads is in Halo 5?

Real simple answer, yes it is or no it isnt. :)

I think it's pretty obvious that there is an ADS animation; the functionality is the debate. Personally, I think it's going to merely be "cosmetic" in that it functions the same as classic Halo zoom. It would be a rather egregious mistake on their part to make it function like CoD ADS.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Legitimate question, not intended to be harsh: how much does our feedback on the beta actually matter? I ask since a very sizable portion of the Halo community has been vocal about their dislike of sprint ever since Reach, but it's been in Halo 4 and now Halo 5. Same thing with ADS - it's been said by the community many, many times that we don't want to see ADS or anything like it, but here it is in Halo 5.

So it kind of seems like a lot of our feedback in the past hasn't been impactful, so I'm kind of skeptical of how much it will matter for the beta.

There's a reason it's almost a year out.

I think it's pretty obvious that there is an ADS animation; the functionality is the debate. Personally, I think it's going to merely be "cosmetic" in that it functions the same as classic Halo zoom. It would be a rather egregious mistake on their part to make it function like CoD ADS.

Brofist.

Nice, that's great news. Thanks for the response.

On the topic of double jumps though, ever tried messing with 'em as a Power-up? Rhetorical since I know you can't answer that lol. Could be a cool idea to coincide with Speed Boost as it provides something similar for gameplay, except instead of impacting horizontal movement like SB, it'll be more for vertical movement. Double jumps + Thrusters could be a seriously fun time for the 15 or so seconds it would last.

jem0208

This has already been confirmed I thought? Josh Holmes' tweets confirmed it wasn't mechanically similar to ADS at all.

Also I'm kinda sad we don't have double jump... I love being able to jump around loads. I suppose it would have been a pretty big move away from classic Halo movement though.

Don't worry, Ragnarok the Redundant isn't here to smear his explosive diarrhea all over our posts.

Realistic optimism, bruh. It's a good thing.

Aye, I wasn't optimistic at all when I first saw the ADS footage. After watching it a few times I realised it wasn't anywhere near as bad as everyone was making it out to be. I like being optimistic until we get evidence which proves otherwise.

Omni

NOOOOOOooooo!!

Ugh. I had an overdose of pop-in with sunset overdrive. It's the worst.

Totally kills all the artistic value to me when playing a game. =(
I should have been a bit more precise with my comment. I've only really noticed it on the level I'm on now (Delta Halo) and the third level while you're driving along the beach. Rest of the time it's been good. Just when it happens, it's huge. Like big trees and stuff for like a split second while panning.

Edit: And I love the how being positive is considered a bad trait around here. I'm hardly over positive as well, just far less negative than some.

Don't worry, Ragnarok the Redundant isn't here to smear his explosive diarrhea all over our posts.

Realistic optimism, bruh. It's a good thing.

Top Bottom