• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't help but feel like 343 has the potential to add some depth to Locke's character and concurrently get the acting-doubters on board come Guardians. Right now he seems almost... clinically positive with that elevated inflection, but I have to imagine part of it has to do with establishing trust with the Arbiter, especially considering there was a point when (H2A terminal spoilers)
Locke thought the best course of action to deal with the Arbiter was to kill him.
He's just attempting to appear approachable and neutral.

As a counter to this, what if the first time we see him against a real, sapient enemy he instantly goes cold on them and starts ripping enemies apart and beating them senseless trying to figure out where the Chief is and all that? It'd be kinda cool if they pulled a Jun-esque "unhealthy emotional attachment with regards to his actions" thing where he's calm and collected off the battlefield but starts scaring the Elites and shit in combat.

RowdyReverb

See, your post is hyperbolic in positing my argument as saying they need to 'abandon the game and pull all marketing'. I said there's no warning, disclaimer, starred small text or other form of communication to the customer that the game has some significant problems preventing it from functioning as it should.

BTW the crashes are frequent, not occasional, the matchmaking isn't just slow, it regularly fails to produce a match at all and when it does the majority of the time the team numbers are uneven. It is fundamentally a product unfit for public consumption in its current state.

Guilty as charged I guess. I would argue that crashes are a YMMV situation though. I've had pretty good luck and no crashes in campaign so far, though I only played a small amount of H4's campaign, and roughly 1/10 MP matches have crashed on me. I don't doubt that it could have happened more frequently to you though.

If that's the case, then they actually did what I thought they would eventually do, added ADS gameplay to Halo. Still fathoms me. The day would come though.

I'm really anxious to see how the general community reacts to this. Halo 4 didn't have ADS, it was just a really bad, bad game. If Halo 5 continues that trend of being bad, then I feel bad for the future of Halo.

At least we have MCC in semi-working condition.

Try watching the gameplay when someone uses the SMG or AR when smart scoped and when it isn't. The guns bloom does not get bigger when fired for those weapons at least. Also I think some of the employees said it is "mostly" cosmetic I guess that is implying that it isn't fully cosmetic were it does not effect anything. Maybe someone can do a gif or something to show; I don't know how though.

You guys know what else looked good?

ibay32Wb6nGMWh.gif

343i know how to manipulate their audience. I can't wait until to see the inevitable meltdowns when the other shoe drops

Pre Order cancelled.

Oh wait, I bought the console and the limited edition. I am the problem.

Point is, H5 should be a wait and see type of deal. How many people bought MCC day 1?

Alright, third level in a row the skull is not where it is supposed to be on Halo 2A.

The only skulls I have activated are IWHBYD, Grunt Birthday, and Prophet Birthday.

Don't try hunting for cheevos/skulls while any of those are activated, apparently. It's really cool.

Alright, third level in a row the skull is not where it is supposed to be on Halo 2A.

The only skulls I have activated are IWHBYD, Grunt Birthday, and Prophet Birthday.

Don't try hunting for cheevos/skulls while any of those are activated, apparently. It's really cool.

Are you playing on legendary?

Make sure you're switching back to classic mode for the Skulls, just to be safe.

Omni

Why do I keep getting achievements when I'm sitting in the dashboard with the game not even open?

I haven't touched my Xbox in 5 or so hours and my screen just lit up to tell me I got an achievement for killing 1000 Jackals

Why do I keep getting achievements when I'm sitting in the dashboard with the game not even open?

I haven't touched my Xbox in 5 or so hours and my screen just lit up to tell me I got an achievement for killing 1000 Jackals

It is probably popping achievements you already got but it didnt unlock

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna try to play some Halo. It's been a few days. Anyone wanna join up?

Are you playing on legendary?

Nah, Heroic every time. The thing is, is that I got the Outskirts' Blind skull while playing on Easy. So I don't think it is difficulty dependant.

Make sure you're switching back to classic mode for the Skulls, just to be safe.

Yeah I did all that for Arbiter/Oracle/Delta Halo and no dice on any of them. Pretty disappointed. I'll just run through them again at another time.

Fuchsdh

Nah, Heroic every time. The thing is, is that I got the Outskirts' Blind skull while playing on Easy. So I don't think it is difficulty dependant.

Yeah I did all that for Arbiter/Oracle/Delta Halo and no dice on any of them. Pretty disappointed. I'll just run through them again at another time.

Some skulls are difficulty dependent, some aren't.

Ground pound. Sprint. Charge. Ledge grab.

This isn't "Arena" Halo.

There's no greater risk and reward for Ground Pound and Charge then there is just using Thruster Packs.

The possibility of me about to kill another opponent based on skill and he has the ability to use two offensive abilities to kill me and surviving isn't "fair" isn't "equal" and isn't "Arena". You have a smaller window to predict if they plan on using those abilities to kamikaze you in those last few seconds.

I can't be the only one thinking this, right?

I need the Henry or BigShow to step in and provide their input about this...

TTUVAPOR

Banned

This isn't "Arena" Halo.

There's no greater risk and reward for Ground Pound and Charge then there is just using Thruster Packs.

The possibility of me about to kill another opponent based on skill and he has the ability to use two offensive abilities to kill me and surviving isn't "fair" isn't "equal" and isn't "Arena". You have a smaller window to predict if they plan on using those abilities to kamikaze you in those last few seconds.

Could be that ttk is so fast, the optional player moves help balance it out and wont have as much of an impact on escaping death.

Omni

I haven't got any skulls in Halo 2 yet.

Don't think I ever bothered 10 years ago either. So that will be interesting

This isn't "Arena" Halo.

Well, Ground Pound seems to be extremely easy to dodge, and leaves the user very vulnerable. Could have more of a downside, I agree, but that'll require testing. I haven't ever actually seen anyone use Charge, but if it works the way I suspect it does (you have to hit maximum sprint speed), it won't be something you can use on the spur of the moment.

Defect

This isn't "Arena" Halo.

The problem with Armor abilities wasn't that you could have one of them and someone might have a different one. The problem is that you are able to spawn with them in the first place. 343 thinks that by making everyone have these abilities, it makes everything fair and equal. Yes, everyone can use them now but they should not exist in the first place.

Sprint was never needed. Clamber ruins skill jumps. Groundpound, you should never have the ability to instakill out of nowhere. Thrusters, the least offensive so far but I can see people saving themselves constantly when they should die. Smart Scope is just garbage, give us real zoom back.

omg can they do anything on time? I have to keep saying different things to my friends... getting really annoying now.

This game is broken. Until the right people started taking it apart I don't think they knew how broken. This is what happens when a studio gets so big, they can't even make their own game.

Impala26

Thats why I said ONE of the only! Also I really wanted Devils Monsters to play during the last man standing part of an Infection game.

Was actually about to add that to comment when I first posted so... heartily agreed about having that play during Infection Last Man Standing! :-D

I only bring them up because BESIDES "Covenant Dance" they were my two favorite tracks that were never revisted later. Hell, "The Lost Muse" wasn't even included in the "Official" OST, which is actually kinda sad. Sure it sounds dated (clearly taken from that late 90's/early 00's of gaming) but it really has that groovy stalking/mysterious vibe to it that I absolutely love.

Let's say ADS is identical to hipfire in every way, then what is the fucking point?

Anyway, if you don't believe that there will be benefits to ADSing, you are lying to yourself.

This, I don't know how anyone is defending this.

From the gameplay I have watched and even some impressions from some members this is actually not the case.

Without a doubt even on the SMG there is a benefit.

Was actually about to add that to comment when I first posted so... heartily agreed about having that play during Infection Last Man Standing! :-D

I only bring them up because BESIDES "Covenant Dance" they were my two favorite tracks that were never revisted later. Hell, "The Lost Muse" wasn't even included in the "Official" OST, which is actually kinda sad. Sure it sounds dated (clearly taken from that late 90's/early 00's of gaming) but it really has that groovy stalking/mysterious vibe to it that I absolutely love.

Yea. At least the Anniversary version was on that OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iORDNM9Cki4

Could be that ttk is so fast, the optional player moves help balance it out and wont have as much of an impact on escaping death.

Well, Ground Pound seems to be extremely easy to dodge, and leaves the user very vulnerable. Could have more of a downside, I agree, but that'll require testing. I haven't ever actually seen anyone use Charge, but if it works the way I suspect it does (you have to hit maximum sprint speed), it won't be something you can use on the spur of the moment.

Time to kill, sorry.

time to kill

Time to kill. The amount of time between pulling the trigger and getting a kill assuming maximum damage output.

The problem with Armor abilities wasn't that you could have one of them and someone might have a different one. The problem is that you are able to spawn with them in the first place. 343 thinks that by making everyone have these abilities, it makes everything fair and equal. Yes, everyone can use them now but they should not exist in the first place.

Sprint was never needed. Clamber ruins skill jumps. Groundpound, you should never have the ability to instakill out of nowhere. Thrusters, the least offensive so far but I can see people saving themselves constantly when they should die. Smart Scope is just garbage, give us real zoom back.
I just find it all to be bullshit. Excuse my choice of words. But I find it hard to believe it when a reviewer gives their input, Greenskull, saying it's "Near perfect".

No. A possible insta-kill ability needs to gtfo of Arena. If there's a chance the damage can inflict death based on the amount of damage on the weakened player's shields or no shields than perhaps yes it can work.

It's not a massive deal that they have the potential to insta-kill and the "TTK" depends on which Ground Pound or Charge is being used can be avoidable.

But I'm not buying the whole fair and equal choice of words in terms of advertising and promising an "Arena" experience.

-Ryn

Banned
OH FUCK MY PENIS

BASED KAMP

Edit: now I need to read The Fall Of Reach

hmmm
This is HaloGaf. This is what I love.

These guys probably read damn much The Fall of Reach, looked at each other and said: well, these fights are huge. And now, let's bring this scope into the multiplayer game. In fact, you can not bring the scope of a book into a video game - but you know what I'm trying to say here.
That's all I can tell you in terms of size.
WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Seriously this sounds so awesome. Fall of Reach was the shit! Please let the secret game mode be this... PLEASE.

That was some solid gameplay.
Seriously the more I see of this game the more excited I get.

The ground pound did concern me a bit.
It seems like only a direct hit will result in a kill which is good. However the radius for taking down shields goes outside the outer circle displayed when you are aiming. I think that if you are just outside the circle it should do the knockback, but barely touch (if even at all) your shields. If you hit in the outer circle I can see it taking out your shields depending on how long you charged. Direct hit should still be a kill.

What do you guys think?

This isn't "Arena" Halo.

As Vapor pointed out, the risk reward is higher due to the kill times being quicker. If you see a guy charging in the air you can fairly easily dodge him with a boost. If your teammate sees them in the air they are in trouble. I do think that the charge should be a bit longer as opposed to just "aim GO". Then again if the damage radius was affected by how long you charge then that could really help.

I don't think avoiding the ground pound will be much of an issue most of the time. We will have to see in the beta. The "Spartan Charge" isn't even very powerful based on what we've seen and that guy missed. It's not an instakill.

The real shame about MCC is potential Halo players that moved on might have come back, now they are right back to CoD. This game will never have the population it would have had.

This is entirely wrong. The number one problem with armor abilities (in general, stuff like armor lock is problematic in and of itself) is that randomness you brushed aside. By expanding the number of possible responses to the extent that they did, gunfights became luck based to a sickening degree. The mere act of standardizing them removes that, and makes them into something entirely different, and, I'd argue, potentially good.

Also, clamber doesn't ruin skill jumps. It just adds another button press to them.

klodeckel

Banned
I just find it all to be bullshit. Excuse my choice of words. But I find it hard to believe it when a reviewer gives their input, Greenskull, saying it's "Near perfect".

No. A possible insta-kill ability needs to gtfo of Arena. If there's a chance the damage can inflict death based on the amount of damage on the weakened player's shields or no shields than perhaps yes it can work.

It's not a massive deal that they have the potential to insta-kill and the "TTK" depends on which Ground Pound or Charge is being used can be avoidable.

But I'm not buying the whole fair and equal choice of words in terms of advertising and promising an "Arena" experience.

I think your definition of an "Arena" shooter is just very weird. It just means that a game is competetive in its own sandbox. In Halo 5, every player has exactly the same properties. There are no unlocks. There are no weapon drops. There are no kill streaks. There are no attatchments. There are no indiviual chosen abilities. The moment you respawn you have exactly the same resources your enemy has (obviously excluding weapon/map control, which is - again - part of the whole Halo environment). This is Arena. What else they add to their own Arena sandbox environment is up to them - as long as everything comes for everyone and always with a downside. If they lower the TTK, this counts for everyone. They only need to adopt every game element to that to balance things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom