• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Man the new rocket launcher sucks. It's so uninspired. It sounds nice and all, but damn... I miss the spanker :/

I was all ready to hate it but... I'm into it. I love that two-part clip. The rocket itself is so damn kablammo. It doesn't take up the entire screen now, which I like.

RIP SPNKR

Mix

GGs Rowdy, Vin and Zoojoo. Sorry I left so quickly, I gotta get some stuff done before going to work in a bit.

OK OK this has been a great read but can we please change the subject? I'd like to theorize about what Big Team Battle will be like in H5. Who wants to start?

Also, have you seen this funny cat video yet? I can't stop laughing.
What I'm hoping for are some awesome maps with a lot of open spaces for vehicles to move around in.

And the Warthog of the Sky <3 -- lol that cat vid
Jem is a known conductor of the bad opinion train.
It is KNOWN.

lol sorry jem

DeadNames

Banned
Just watched Ninja play a round of Team Slayer on Pegasus—that level plays fantastically. I can't wait to get my hands on it tonight.

It's alright. It actually is quite blurry lol. 343 needs to tone down the god rays.

I was all ready to hate it but... I'm into it. I love that two-part clip. The rocket itself is so damn kablammo. It doesn't take up the entire screen now, which I like.

RIP SPNKR

Awful post. ;)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Man.. The shit I've been reading the past two pages lol.

You guys are insane, especially jem for thinking Halo would be fine without power weapons and Power-ups. Why not just develop another Reach/Halo 4 in that case if you guys don't think Power-ups or power weapons are that important to Halo combat? If you think it's a snoozefest to play against people who know how to play Halo, then they should just water the game down across the board, have people fight for one Rocket and one OS in a match, or perhaps even create a system where if the dong is so real and enough points are earned, you could drop these benefits right at your feet?

Sounds like a good alternative that fits right in line with what Halo's always been about. I mean, the only thing that really defines Halo is pressing RT to shoot and jumping on the moon, not an equal combination of all things factored in like the flow of a match between holding positions and risking movement by going for advantageous items.

What defines Halo is simple: you shoot some guns, jump high, have some aim assist, a BR and done. Halo. Right? Halo's so unique, it has weapons and movement!

This thread breaks my heart sometimes and I feel sorry for VAPOR because I KNOW he must be holding in some serious RAGE right now lmfao
-- dan91bauer vs Lukems 2015: The Rematch

The rage is real.

-Ryn

Banned
Focus testing of Call of Duty fans probably told them that their weapons weren't "cool" or "realistic" enough. There's nothing wrong with what they're doing. As stayed above, whatever they wanted to achieve is working. People think it looks like a Call of Duty game. We even had people in this thread a while back want dark and gritty armors, rain and night scenes, the realism of Afghanistan type locales. They felt Halo was too colorful.
If Halo loses its color and aesthetic identity 343 will have failed to continue Halo. The covenant redesigns and the new Bazooka Rocket Launcher worry me. They've got the gameplay going. Still unsure about the aesthetic.

Man the new rocket launcher sucks. It's so uninspired. It sounds nice and all, but damn... I miss the spanker :/
#SPNKrLOVE

So I don't understand the ranking system anymore. I get it's about win-lose and the players you play against/with, but there have to be other factors weighting in. I played all games with a friend of mine in stronghold. After 10 games, I got placed in Onyx 3, he got a Pro ranking. How is that possible?

jem0208

You guys are insane, especially jem for thinking Halo would be fine without power weapons and Power-ups.
Where did I say that?

I only said it wasn't part of the core gameplay.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, especially considering Halo 5 is great even without it. That isn't to say it wouldn't be much better with them.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Where did I say I didn't want power ups and power weapons?

Those things aren't exclusive to CE.

The powerups and power weapons aren't exclusive to CE, but the fact that they were static is.

In Halo 2, powerups and power weapons were not static, they were solely dependent upon who picked them up, e.g., if I picked up os, the timer starts once I picked it up

As for power weapons in Halo 2, they would never respawn as long as you just held them...though I think that was map specific, e.g., sniper on lockout, if you held it and never dropped it, it would never respawn.

Halo 3 continued this trend.

Reach crapped all over it.

Halo 4 required you to call them in from the sky.

Impala26

The powerups and power weapons aren't exclusive to CE, but the fact that they were static is.

In Halo 2, powerups and power weapons were not static, they were solely dependent upon who picked them up, e.g., if I picked up os, the timer starts once I picked it up

As for power weapons in Halo 2, they would never respawn as long as you just held them...though I think that was map specific, e.g., sniper on lockout, if you held it and never dropped it, it would never respawn.

Halo 3 continued this trend.

Reach crapped all over it.

Wait, it did? I thought from H3 onwards they removed that B.S. with the power weapon spawn timers not starting until the weapon was physically dropped by the player holding it.

So I don't understand the ranking system anymore. I get it's about win-lose and the players you play against/with, but there have to be other factors weighting in. I played all games with a friend of mine in stronghold. After 10 games, I got placed in Onyx 3, he got a Pro ranking. How is that possible?

I'm guessing it factors in individual performance when it comes to your initial ranking, but generally speaking maintaining your rank is a lot more dependent on having a good team backing you up.

-Ryn

Banned
I always thought this would've been really cool for spawning weapons. Or just power weapons to give it more emphasis and style.

Actually calling them in though is just... dumb. It's not like in Titanfall where you're calling in something amazing and powerful that is tied to the core game. You were calling in power weapons and other random junk that the game isn't designed around at all. So it sucked.

Oh god, what have they done to the rockets? This is something only 343 would do. They just have to change everything that Bungie did.

Mix

Oh god, what have they done to the rockets? This is something only 343 would do. They just have to change everything that Bungie did.

I like the rockets. I think the sound design is just a bit off, but other than that, I like the way they play and look.

Ramirez

Halo 5 timers are static though, so what's the problem exactly?

You can find posts by me in this thread saying the specific power weapons on the maps need to be changed, and the powerups weren't ready for the beta, so there's really nothing we can actually discuss.

LOL Kappa.

Halo 3 Rockets were terrible though, Ram, and the 3 minute timers were too long for such a weak weapon sandbox. It put too much of a reliance on BR combat, the very thing people have grown to despise over the years. And rightfully so, the BR is the worst weapon to grace Halo combat, even over the 100% bloom Reach DMR.

EDIT: Your damn edits!

antigoon

I still don't understand how freaking power ups could possibly not be ready for the beta. Unless they're radically changing them.

Yeah, after you lock on to a target and fire, aiming down sights will have you use the iron sights built into the missiles and you can control them remotely.
Frankie please, I know you're a fan of the REDEEMER! Make this happen and use a Promethean weapon to do it <3

Obligatory Flak Cannon is the truth post.

Ramirez

LOL Kappa.

Halo 3 Rockets were terrible though, Ram, and the 3 minute timers were too long for such a weak weapon sandbox. It put too much of a reliance on BR combat, the very thing people have grown to despise over the years. And rightfully so, the BR is the worst weapon to grace Halo combat, even over the 100% bloom Reach DMR.

EDIT: Your damn edits!

I agree, they were terrible.

I do not understand the appeal of wanting snipers spawning so frequently that 4 people or more could have them at a time. There are times in the beta now where there's 2-3 swords and 2 snipers in play, that's super silly to me. The sniper in this game is way too easy to use as well.

VinFTW

Lmao. Get placed in Semi-pro for slayer, get placed in gold for breakout and go undefeated for 8 straight games in strongholds lose my 9th game and lose due to a quitter in my 10th game and I get placed into Gold 1?

If performance plays a factor, that's a joke, was top on my team every game.

Also, Reverb played every qualifier with me and got placed into Silver 2. How does that even work?

Hopefully this shit gets fixed for full release, I don't have fun playing in onyx. Need to play with some semi-pro players. Games are almost always super close and exciting.

fucking salt I know, it's just a beta, I know, but strongholds was fun, but the placement ruined it a bit for me. Not a gold player lol.

I can see this game easily becoming just like Halo 4 again. It'll be all fun for the first week, then everyone will realize how trash the game is. The population will drop off, then Frankie will come out saying how they'll learn from their mistakes, then they'll give us Halo 6:Titanfall/CodAW.

I really hope Black Tusk does a great job with the new Gears, and show 343 how to properly keep a game franchise going without throwing everything away that Epic built, like what 343 has done with Bungie's work.

Lmao. Get placed in Semi-pro for slayer, get placed in gold for breakout and go undefeated for 8 straight games in strongholds lose my 9th game and lose due to a quitter in my 10th game and I get placed into Gold 1?

Also, Reverb played every qualifier with me and got placed into Silver 2. How does that even work?

Hopefully this shit gets fixed for full release, I don't have fun playing in onyx. Need to play with some semi-pro players. Games are almost always super close and exciting.

fucking salt I know, it's just a beta, I know, but strongholds was fun, but the placement ruined it a bit for me. Not a gold player lol

lol

jem0208

Frankie please, I know you're a fan of the REDEEMER! Make this happen and use a Promethean weapon to do it <3

Obligatory Flak Cannon is the truth post.

The flak cannon is quite possibly the best shotgun ever.

What the scattershot could have been... Biggest disappointment of Halo 4.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I can see this game easily becoming just like Halo 4 again. It'll be all fun for the first week, then everyone will realize how trash the game is. The population will drop off, then Frankie will come out saying how they'll learn from their mistakes, then they'll give us Halo 6:Titanfall/CodAW.

I really hope Black Tusk does a great job with the new Gears, and show 343 how to properly keep a game franchise going without throwing everything away that Epic built, like what 343 has done with Bungie's work.

Eh, naw. I was wrong about Halo 4, but 5 is considerably closer to 3 than 4 was and thus should hold onto people longer. No random loadouts, no sky-weapons, no random abilities, etc.

It may not be Halo 3, but it's a hell of a lot closer than Halo 4 was.

Tawpgun

Can the ce super fans explain reasoning behind power weapons spawning so fast?

I'm with ram. Having 4 snipers in play on a map gzussss

RowdyReverb

fucking salt I know, it's just a beta, I know, but strongholds was fun, but the placement ruined it a bit for me. Not a gold player lol.
My K/D was worse, not that that should be the primary skill determining factor in objective game types. Oh well. At least Stronghold is a pretty fun game.

Ramirez

I already have 1/3 the amount of kills I had in my entire time playing Halo 4 just from this beta, this game is soooooooooooooooo much better than 4 it's staggering.

VinFTW

My K/D was worse, not that that should be the primary skill determining factor in objective game types. Oh well. At least Stronghold is a pretty fun game.

Agreed... it doesn't make sense lol

But yeah, with some tweaking and base placement improvements, it could be awesome.

I already have 1/3 the amount of kills I had in my entire time playing Halo 4 just from this beta, this game is soooooooooooooooo much better than 4 it's staggering.
Yes it is better than 4 for sure, but I dunno if it'll be enough to sustain a healthy population. I just hope they do listen to this feedback they're getting from the beta.

Tawpgun

I Agree h5 is good.... Unfortunately I don't know if it means the community won't react the same way. Population wise

Eh, naw. I was wrong about Halo 5, but 6 is considerably closer to 3 than 5 was and thus should hold onto people longer. No random loadouts, no sky-weapons, no random abilities, etc.

It may not be Halo 3, but it's a hell of a lot closer than Halo 5 was.

Modifying in advance for posterity

bonus:

Eh, naw. I was wrong about Combat Evolved, but 2 is considerably closer to Marathon than CE was and thus should hold onto people longer. No random loadouts, no sky-weapons, no random abilities, etc.

It may not be Marathon, but it's a hell of a lot closer than CE was.

I agree, they were terrible.

I do not understand the appeal of wanting snipers spawning so frequently that 4 people or more could have them at a time. There are times in the beta now where there's 2-3 swords and 2 snipers in play, that's super silly to me. The sniper in this game is way too easy to use as well.
Sword could probably use a decrease in energy by 50%. Why does a Sword need to allow for 10 kills? There's no other way to deplete its energy other than to land a kill.

How about giving us less ammo for the power weapons in general? Perhaps even increasing the ROF of the Sniper would cause people to shoot more instead of making every shot precious. There's no reason a Shotgun should spawn with 9280734827304 shots. Rockets would be fine depending on map. Chill Out Rockets on 2 minute static timers were batshit insane, admittedly. Never said CE was perfect, but it had a CHAMPION formula that could still be expanded upon.

It all depends on how you balance it.
Can the ce super fans explain reasoning behind power weapons spawning so fast?

I'm with ram. Having 4 snipers in play on a map gzussss
4 Snipers in play never happens and is a silly hyperbole.

EDIT:
Eh, as long as I can find games to play.
This is how I felt about Titanfall when it was thought to be crazy to buy it on the One lol. As long as I can play some games then I'll be fine with Halo not having millions of people on daily. Millions will still purchase the game though, that's for sure, so the "needing to appeal to the market" argument as to why sprint or some other "modern" element should be in the game always seemed weak to me. When teenagers are suggesting a removal of sprint and an increase of base speed, I think it's fair to believe this franchise would do perfectly fine without sprint.

"Sprint helps for BTB though." So do vehicles and weapons effective at range, both of which will be provided in Halo 5.

Ramirez

EDIT:
This is how I felt about Titanfall when it was thought to be crazy to buy it on the One lol. As long as I can play some games then I'll be fine with Halo not having millions of people on daily.

Yea, I also don't understand people who worry about stuff like that. Some people are so focused on amount of twitch viewers and whether or not a pro likes it, who cares? You're not making money off the game, that stuff is irrelevant as long as you can find quick matches.

Yea, I also don't understand people who worry about stuff like that. Some people are so focused on amount of twitch viewers and whether or not a pro likes it, who cares? You're not making money off the game, that stuff is irrelevant as long as you can find quick matches.

The more popular the game, the more likely you'll be able to play with your friends, talk about it with your friends, play and talk about it with strangers, etc. I'd like Halo 5 to move some consoles so I can play more Xbox with more people! Or at least, I can see how that would inspire some allegiance.

jem0208

Pegasus is pretty good.

Fucking fog though, biggest problem with the game is visibility at the moment, it's ridiculous.

Top Bottom