• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

PNut

Banned
I can still search on my Team Slayer and Team Doubles 50 in Halo 3 and find games on the xbox 360 in 2015. Wonder why that is?

Because it worked, why else would I still be able to find games?

HTupolev

hey y'all. Does the MCC work yet?
I tried to play yesterday with a couple friends.

First, we tried out a race map one had made; he'd had to remove a bunch of stuff because it would otherwise fail to load. Otherwise that game went smoothly.
Then we tried some Team Slayer. After half an hour we finally managed to get into our first game. We had a short run of games that mostly had uneven teams and/or split us across the two teams. The one game that could be construed as "set up correctly" was horribly imbalanced, the other team got totally crushed. Then MM stopped working and our party started getting separated constantly.

MCC is still very broken.

Madness

Honestly, I didn't even mean to come off as confrontational. I really do think that for a lot of people, getting killed with an AR still carries shameful connotations, and that that's where a lot of the issue lies.

Nah, issue lies in the fact it's a really unskilled weapon where it's more based on who sees who first. With a BR user, even if he sees you first and gets the first shot, you can still jump, thrust, return fire and if you're a truly better player, outfight them. But if you get caught in a room with a scoped AR user, good luck. His wide spread of shots, the speed, basically means you're gone.

With the AR, it's basically just hold down fire trigger, kill whatever is in front. With ADS, it's basically 3 second kills. It's infuriating because it's not fun gameplay to have some shitbird hiding around a corner not moving, just sitting scoped with ADS and just tearing you without being able to get them back. Should basically call the AR, the Noob rifle.

Ramirez

Slick as hell.

New mode is interesting, but in my very first match of it, entire opposing team quit. wtf?

I got a triple right after that when they came back, lol. We still got pounded though, fucking quitters.

I want a SEVERE quit penalty implemented in the final game 343, quitters have skated by for far too long in Halo.

Madness

I got a triple right after that when they came back, lol. We still got pounded though, fucking quitters.

I want a SEVERE quit penalty implemented in the final game 343, quitters have skated by for far too long in Halo.

Yeah, imagine you can't rejoin the same play list until the match you quit out of ends. Or, you can only rejoin and take the very same spot you quit from. Who cares if it pisses off the quitters or makes a lot of people leave. Enough is enough. They've ruined matchmaking for too long. Severe rank penalty, etc. Most people have stable Internet, very much doubt you get 3 disconnects an hour, so that excuse shouldn't fly. And if your internet does suck, tough shit, get better internet to play an online shooter in 2014.

RowdyReverb

Digging through someone's post history I found this little nugget.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139378996&postcount=3227

Could it be, BtB 2.0 is going to be some holy, blessed cross of Invasion and typical BtB?
Believe

I missed the time when the post was actually made.

Ah, I see.
I'm definitely hoping it is. I've said a few times I think it will be a showcase for MS's Azure cloud computing, so we'll not only see lots of players on a large battlefield with big, moving set pieces, but also AI-controlled creeps such as grunts + jackals on covenant side and UNSC marines on human side. They can go as all-out with "Not Halo" as they want in that mode for all I care, so long as they keep Arena.

-Ryn

Banned

...I'd actually be fine with this.

People would occasionally quit in 3.
Then things got a little worse with Reach.
After 4 though? People were quitting like breeders at a panda preseve.

TCKaos

PMbYQFg.png

I'm glad 343i enabled toggle crouch so that every player would get to enjoy using the sandbox.

GrizzNKev

Banned
fuuuuuuuuuuuck AFK people. I was on my way to Onyx, no losses in TS the whole night, until there was an AFK guy on my team. Why is this an epidemic?

-Ryn

Banned
fuuuuuuuuuuuck AFK people. I was on my way to Onyx, no losses in TS the whole night, until there was an AFK guy on my team. Why is this an epidemic?
I like to imagine that they are secret agents who had to go off and save the world from a Bond villain with a cat. Or maybe just Dr. Evil.

If there are harsher repercussions for quitting there needs to be an automatic boot for people that AFK too long. Otherwise those that would've quit will probably just go make a sandwhich or something.

Mix

So I;m super fucking drunk. GGs to zoojoo and impala and reverb and all the shitty randomsd we had. Halo 5 is life. goty 2015. I mean that too.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yes it does need a big nerf as well as SMG..

I really liked Strongholds..It definetely has a strategic aspect..
Precision rifles poop on the automatic rifles from almost every range already. AR and SMG are fine as they are. They're only useful as close range as they should be.

Omni

1. Complete the 1st mission on Solo Legendary. Will take some time, but it's worth it.
2. Load the next mission on Legendary and quit the mission as soon as the cutscene starts.
3. Game will award you for completing it on Solo Legendary
4. Do that with every mission in every episode.
5. ???
6. Profit aka Solo Legendary achievement for completing Spartan Ops unlocked.

That way, you don't have to play this boring mode. Oh and do it before the next patch, because it probably won't be possible after the next patch. :p

If it doesn't work after the 1st mission, just complete an other mission and try it again.
OH thank god. I wasn't even going to bother going for that achievement but hell. If this works then I might as well.

No way I'm playing through that mess of a mode legitimately again.

m23

I think SMG can be left alone, as long as it stays as a pick up. AR however, will be a starting weapon in at least some playlists so please tone it down just a notch.

Rev3rb

Is it possible to not earn any rank experience for winning? Last night Mix, Zoojoo, and I played against the same team 4-5 times and didn't get anything (except padded K/Ds).

Haruko

Is it possible to not earn any rank experience for winning? Last night Mix, Zoojoo, and I played against the same team 4-5 times and didn't get anything (except padded K/Ds).

There is some form of diminishing returns on the same opponent, i believe. I've gotten as little as +3.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Fine for this current sandbox, but perfect in the grand scheme of things? Ehhhhhhhh

There is only one true universal start Halo deserves, and it doesn't include a BR.

Last night and Friday night, I logged in more time than I ever have with the beta. The starting weapon set is making the game fun, and in my opinion, really determines the overall fun of the game, at least for matchmaking's sake. I don't want to have to depend on custom games to get enjoyment out of Halo...I've been doing that since Halo 2 because of Bungie's stubbornness to allow Halo to be played like CE, which in my humble opinion is what defines Halo, you know this though ;)

The AR/BR start is essentially Halo CE, though the TTK is obviously slower than Halo CE, it's at least better than Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 (I don't count Reach, it was an abomination).

For people complaining about the AR, you have to honestly look at the grand scheme of things. The AR should be a useful weapon and it should be a weapon that kills at close to medium range, IT HAS TO DO THIS. Otherwise, what's the point of it? If close quarters combat is gonna rely solely on the shotgun and not full autos...I think we're being silly.

I can't count how many times last night I was switching back and forth from BR to AR depend on the range I was at. It makes the game very fast paced.

Furthermore, I've been dropping my BR for the DMR almost every chance I get because the DMR destroys the BR at range...it's amazing. The light rifle, so awesome when zoomed in, becomes a three-shot kill.

If I were to count how many people played Halo CE multiplayer today from back in the Xbox days...it's probably less than 5% of the current Halo population that plays Halo. 90% of Halo players today got their start with either Halo 2, Halo 3, or Halo 4. They're used to having the BR start gametype, because they don't know any better.

With MCC out, I suggest people go play as much Halo CE as possible to get an understanding of why the AR/BR start is vital to Halo 5.

I think many people have never played Halo CE for any length of time, they sit on these forums and spout shit that's nonsense, and if they would just go play HCE on MCC, for at least 20-30 matches, I feel their opinions would drastically change.

Hence why I laugh when people think it's stupid to have 30 second spawning sniper rifles...go play Halo CE Damnation and come back and talk. People need to educate themselves first before spouting such ridiculous claims.

Halo 5 is good in its current state, mostly because of the starting weapon set allowing you to truly defend yourself at all ranges like HCE...but I fear shit will get nerfed because little jimmy random can't hack it in Halo 5.

I'll proudly admit, I thought Halo 5 was crap prior to the AR/BR start. The BR/Pistol start wasn't much better, thought it was better than the AR/Pistol start...now the AR/BR start makes the game enjoyable.

The weapons on the map need to be worth it to pick up, they need to be so different and good that it's worth it to drop your starting weapons to pick them up.

However, the starting weapons can't be so bad that you're FORCED to pick up weapons on the map.

The pickups on the map need to give you a slight advantage, but they shouldn't be guarantees to get you kills.

That's called balance.

CliQ

Last night and Friday night, I logged in more time than I ever have with the beta. The starting weapon set is making the game fun, and in my opinion, really determines the overall fun of the game, at least for matchmaking's sake. I don't want to have to depend on custom games to get enjoyment out of Halo...I've been doing that since Halo 2 because of Bungie's stubbornness to allow Halo to be played like CE, which in my humble opinion is what defines Halo, you know this though ;)

The AR/BR start is essentially Halo CE, though the TTK is obviously slower than Halo CE, it's at least better than Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 (I don't count Reach, it was an abomination).

For people complaining about the AR, you have to honestly look at the grand scheme of things. The AR should be a useful weapon and it should be a weapon that kills at close to medium range, IT HAS TO DO THIS. Otherwise, what's the point of it? If close quarters combat is gonna rely solely on the shotgun and not full autos...I think we're being silly.

I can't count how many times last night I was switching back and forth from BR to AR depend on the range I was at. It makes the game very fast paced.

Furthermore, I've been dropping my BR for the DMR almost every chance I get because the DMR destroys the BR at range...it's amazing. The light rifle, so awesome when zoomed in, becomes a three-shot kill.

If I were to count how many people played Halo CE multiplayer today from back in the Xbox days...it's probably less than 5% of the current Halo population that plays Halo. 90% of Halo players today got their start with either Halo 2, Halo 3, or Halo 4. They're used to having the BR start gametype, because they don't know any better.

With MCC out, I suggest people go play as much Halo CE as possible to get an understanding of why the AR/BR start is vital to Halo 5.

I think many people have never played Halo CE for any length of time, they sit on these forums and spout shit that's nonsense, and if they would just go play HCE on MCC, for at least 20-30 matches, I feel their opinions would drastically change.

Hence why I laugh when people think it's stupid to have 30 second spawning sniper rifles...go play Halo CE Damnation and come back and talk. People need to educate themselves first before spouting such ridiculous claims.

Halo 5 is good in its current state, mostly because of the starting weapon set allowing you to truly defend yourself at all ranges like HCE...but I fear shit will get nerfed because little jimmy random can't hack it in Halo 5.

I'll proudly admit, I thought Halo 5 was crap prior to the AR/BR start. The BR/Pistol start wasn't much better, thought it was better than the AR/Pistol start...now the AR/BR start makes the game enjoyable.

The weapons on the map need to be worth it to pick up, they need to be so different and good that it's worth it to drop your starting weapons to pick them up.

However, the starting weapons can't be so bad that you're FORCED to pick up weapons on the map.

The pickups on the map need to give you a slight advantage, but they shouldn't be guarantees to get you kills.

That's called balance.

I'm glad we agree on a lot of things but this post is not healthy.

Edit...

I want the sound of capturing a stronghold as my text message sound. I love that beep noise. Could anyone from 343 get us that sound clip? Thanks!

Mix

The matchmaking needs some serious work. I was getting paired with bronzes and silvers and golds and unranked people this morning and it was usually me that got stuck the the BKs. Game is borderline frustrating when you play by yourself.

Overdoziz

Banned
The matchmaking needs some serious work. I was getting paird with bronzes and silvers and golds and unranked people this morning and it was usually me that got stuck the the scrublords.
I think the problem is that unranked or low ranked players go into matchmaking premade with higher ranked players. Solution would be to make it so matchmaking just matches you with other players based on the highest rank in your premade team. This way you won't get fucked over by getting bronze players on your team just because the premade team brought bronze players into matchmaking along with them.

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder if we'll ever see something like Generator defense make a return to multiplayer. I didn't really care much for it in FF but doing it in PvP was so much fun.

Combat Evolved in MCC is just full of incompetent people. Both teams have negative scores and I'm being spawn killed by a teammate.

Tehehe
I remember one game of BtB CE, a bunch of people quit and things got dull. So I just tried to spawn kill a teammate, he was AFK through, so I had no qualms about it.
Another BtB, CE again, bunch of quitters and things are dull again. My team is just winning because it isn't even remotely even. Que Betrayal Slayer, it was CtF so the last flag to win becomes a bloodbath of everyone betraying one another to get it.

People find ways to have fun in poor matches in a broken game.

Impala26

The next two games after Impala left were 100-0.

RIP

edit: make that three

Ughhh... I missed the donging...

Protip to Everyone: Don't go into strongholds without at least one other buddy unless you're okay with being matching with either horrible randies, AFKs and quitters.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just played some Halo 2 Legendary co-op with some insane desync. It would constantly show one player dead for one person while the other still had both alive. This got to a point where I got set back two checkpoints while my friend was still a checkpoint ahead. On my screen he just kept running off the gondola (Sacred Icon beginning) and setting us back a checkpoint while on his screen we were point still alive a checkpoint ahead.

Top Bottom