• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Just played some Halo 2 Legendary co-op with some insane desync. It would constantly show one player dead for one person while the other still had both alive. This got to a point where I got set back two checkpoints while my friend was still a checkpoint ahead. On my screen he just kept running off the gondola (Sacred Icon beginning) and setting us back a checkpoint while on his screen we were point still alive a checkpoint ahead.

Lol, what the hell.

When will they fix MCC? This is ridiculous. I still get incredibly long MM times and 3v3 or 3v4 games. The party system is beyond broken, I can't join my friends and search without someone getting dropped or mm getting stuck. I never had problems like this with Halo 2, 3, or Reach. How can MM be this messed up months later?

The matchmaking needs some serious work. I was getting paired with bronzes and silvers and golds and unranked people this morning and it was usually me that got stuck the the BKs. Game is borderline frustrating when you play by yourself.

Are we in league of leguends?

Akai__

When will they fix MCC? This is ridiculous. I still get incredibly long MM times and 3v3 or 3v4 games. The party system is beyond broken, I can't join my friends and search without someone getting dropped or mm getting stuck. I never had problems like this with Halo 2, 3, or Reach. How can MM be this messed up months later?

Rumours say, that MCC acted as a beta for the Multiplayer 2015 API and that's why MP has so many issues, especially with a party of >=2 players.

The next patch is out someday next week. I hope we'll see several improvements, but lets say I'll believe it, when I see it.

so how do you guys feel about the Halo 5 multiplayer beta

somewhere between
NUza6AO.png
and
MLbAzIp.png

Rumours say, that MCC acted as a beta for the Multiplayer 2015 API and that's why MP has so many issues, especially with a party of >=2 players.

The next patch is out someday next week. I hope we'll see several improvements, but lets say I'll believe it, when I see it.

I read that as well. 343's lack of communication is strange. Each update on the patches is just incredibly vague.

Lobby system doesn't work for it either.

-Ryn

Banned
Was a rethorical question, but it's true nonetheless.
Irritating grind to get them aside, I must admit that when I actually get an impossibly hard multiplayer achievement legitimately it feels incredible. Finally getting 2 for 1 in H3 felt great.

I want to like it but just can't have fun with it. I'm in the minority now but prefer games not to be fast paced twitch based "who sees who first"
I don't think you're in the minority there.
From what I've heard and seen H5 isn't like that because of the lower aim assist and better movement options. Do you just find the TTK to be too low?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Ughhh... I missed the donging...

Protip to Everyone: Don't go into strongholds without at least one other buddy unless you're okay with being matching with either horrible randies, AFKs and quitters.

Yeah, I landed in Onyx I. I still get matched with lower players every time due to the newness of the mode.

Magwik

Banned
Irritating grind to get them aside, I must admit that when I actually get an impossibly hard multiplayer achievement legitimately it feels incredible. Finally getting 2 for 1 in H3 felt great.

I don't think you're in the minority there.
From what I've heard and seen H5 isn't like that because of the lower aim assist and better movement options. Do you just find the TTK to be too low?

That and the gimped movement speed and jump height. Just makes encounters boring.

-Ryn

Banned
That and the gimped movement speed and jump height. Just makes encounters boring.
The base movement speed does seem to need a bit of a boost.

It's funny, I was testing the ttk in CE the other day. The Pistol and the AR rip you apart. With the pistol able to kill in less than 2 seconds if you land all 3 shots on the head and the AR hovering around 2 seconds close range and 3 nearing medium. Though this was on stationary targets so it doesn't factor in the difficulty to actually land those shots. The plasma weapons can kill fairly quickly as well. The sniper can miss even if the dat is red. And holy shit the shotgun has some nice range.

So while the TTK is all low, the low aim assist and high base movement make it so it's not an issue.

Hopefully 343 increases the base speed in H5.
Not sure about the Aim Assist.

Wow I sure am breaking new ground

VinFTW

Probably the most fun I've had with Halo since 3. Might like it more than 3. We'll see when the final game ships.

Reach sized fights... don't let me down 343/Kampfeld

I have high hopes for BTB and co-op.

They need to do something BIG/next-gen. It is, after all, Halo.

Madness

Probably more apathy because of MCC and it's launch, but while I have had fun with the beta, it's the first time in the series' history for me, where I don't really feel like buying the game. I'll buy it more because I'm compelled to as an Xbox One owner and longtime Halo fan, but the excitement I had for games like Reach, Halo 4, MCC just isn't there.

It's definitely who sees who first more than past Halo titles, especially with AR/SMG. Obviously your higher skill allows you to outfight weaker opponents especially with reduced aim assist in this game, but if you happen upon someone who is scoped with AR or SMG, you're really shit out of luck. Aside from thruster, you don't really have the defensive ability to dodge shots like quick jumps, faster strafe and movement speed.

It's definitely not Call of Duty style who sees who first though.

m23

Like it a lot, just a few issues which I hope 343 will fix for release. Most of which have been posted to death on this forum.

Although I need to stress that we need 1 grenade on spawn. Hate these grenade throwing sessions in matches.

-Ryn

Banned
Putting your faith in someone who was banned for talking out of their ass? lol
If I recall correctly wasn't he actually banned because of a comment he made about HaloGAF being a bunch of whining babbies (or something to that effect)? The constant teases probably didn't help. He's supposedly a known dev who has made correct claims before, no?

Overdoziz

Banned
It's definitely who sees who first more than past Halo titles, especially with AR/SMG. Obviously your higher skill allows you to outfight weaker opponents especially with reduced aim assist in this game, but if you happen upon someone who is scoped with AR or SMG, you're really shit out of luck. Aside from thruster, you don't really have the defensive ability to dodge shots like quick jumps, faster strafe and movement speed.

Automatic vs automatic has always been mainly about who starts firing first.

Ramirez

Probably more apathy because of MCC and it's launch, but while I have had fun with the beta, it's the first time in the series' history for me, where I don't really feel like buying the game. I'll buy it more because I'm compelled to as an Xbox One owner and longtime Halo fan, but the excitement I had for games like Reach, Halo 4, MCC just isn't there.

Uh because it was so easy for people to miss shots in Halo 2, a quick strafe in 3, and a high jump in Reach?

That video isn't against scrubs, they were all Onyx/Semi. It was 4v3, I would agree being a man down in this game is a death sentence more so than past games.

I think kill times would naturally decrease a little if the base movement speed got increased to something salvageable.

I suck at the game, but I do agree (to a degree) that damage feedback can be a little wonky. It feels a little disjointed in that I can clearly tell when I'm taking damage thanks to my shield / health meters, but something about it feels off compared to the past games. Like, it doesn't immediately register to me that you're under fire unless you're facing the guy dead-on.

I think kill times would naturally decrease a little if the base movement speed got increased to something salvageable.

I suck at the game, but I do agree (to a degree) that damage feedback can be a little wonky. It feels a little disjointed in that I can clearly tell when I'm taking damage thanks to my shield / health meters, but something about it feels off compared to the past games. Like, it doesn't immediately register to me that you're under fire unless you're facing the guy dead-on.
The feedback can be improved overall, especially to know what's going on with your teammates. I really hope those friendly indicators are in the full game for when they're in a fight, about to die, etc.

Madness

Uh because it was so easy for people to miss shots in Halo 2, a quick strafe in 3, and a high jump in Reach?

That video isn't against scrubs, they were all Onyx/Semi. It was 4v3, I would agree being a man down in this game is a death sentence more so than past games.

But I was talking more about Halo 5. I agree this problem has been in a lot of the recent Halo games, especially Halo 3 and Reach, with 4 being one of the worst with flinch since you can't maintain proper reticle firing if someone shoots you first.

Just saying, that video really isn't indicative of much aside from the fact you were the better player there than those two you fought. That seems more exception than norm no?

Ramirez

But I was talking more about Halo 5. I agree this problem has been in a lot of the recent Halo games, especially Halo 3 and Reach, with 4 being one of the worst with flinch since you can't maintain proper reticle firing if someone shoots you first.

Just saying, that video really isn't indicative of much aside from the fact you were the better player there than those two you fought. That seems more exception than norm no?

If you're dying because you're spotted first the majority of the time, you are bad at the game.

Magwik

Banned
Seems you are bad and need to play more/get better.

I dunno, it's weird. Yesterday I had a ton of issues, and today I'm doing fine going +10
Breakout may just be a shit gametype
BR/AR starts are a godsend
Why? It should hypothetically double the map count, and the 2 we've played are vastly different from the originals.

From what it looks like they simply exist to pad the arena map count. $20 the BTB maps wont have them.

Remixed maps are a phenomenal addition to multiplayer because they artificially increase the map count without the resources of creating an entirely new map.

So I guess this means we can expect more than 10-12 maps for launch hopefully? Hoping for 20+ lol (reach for the skyyyy)

If you're dying because you're spotted first the majority of the time, you are bad at the game.
I agree, it was like this in previous Halos, if you get spotted off guard, and you weren't good enough to counter act, you were going to die.

I've been getting a lot of reversal medals lately

Also i think remix maps are a really cool idea, if done properly

Top Bottom