• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Blueblur1

I'm very happy with all of the announced changes. I hope they continue writing transparent blog posts about the game's development. And I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of radar they go with. I absolutely love Destiny's tracker so I'm open to a different one. My only complaint is that the Spnkr is only a legendary weapon. We'll probably have to use the boring brown tube Rocket Launcher the majority of the time.

Madness

I wonder how they never anticipated that fans wouldn't want the SPNKr back. As soon as I saw that green tube generic design I knew it meant the SPNKr was cut. A weapon that's been iconic since CE as a major Halo weapon. Glad it's coming as a legendary weapon, but if it plays well, looks great, I'd rather just use it in place of the new one.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's possible, just not a fan of the 11% sprint poll results, the poll itself was skewed in such a way were it wasn't fully asked and took a few questions to finally get your answer across. Add in the selective chance to the poll. The whole irony is this is coming after

68fd4c6c2b83c2007f9013a80033c632.png

Links:
http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2qpdbm/surprising_poll_results_sprint_halo_does_the/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

------
I get it, it's just ironic now looking back at it.
Mate, everybody wants sprint in the game.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think you're overstating the effect of different starting weapons.

People have no problem transitioning from normal slayer to Team BRs.

But Team BRs in past Halos was the root of the problem to begin with. Esports Halo had to force the BR start because the other weapons in the sandbox didn't provide a competitively sound game.

In H5, I'm impressed with all of the weapons so far, I think they were all situational, which is what HCE is like.

Also, the motion tracker is another great example...we disable it in esports Halo...yet no one seems to understand that the motion tracker is a HUGE crutch for casual players, without it, they're clueless.

So if HCS doesn't have sprint and default Halo 5 does...I think that's the least of the worries.

Haruko

Dare I say it, I enjoyed H5 Steitzer.

H5 Steitzer Power Rankings:

1. Purrrfect
2. Combat Evolved
3. Snipeltaneous
4. BXR
5. Hat Trick
901. Hard Target
902. Reversal
9001. Big Game Hunter
900001. "Deeyubble Kill"

Overall, I liked most of his H5 announcements. A few just sound off

H5 Steitzer Power Rankings:

1. Purrrfect
2. Combat Evolved
3. Snipeltaneous
4. BXR
5. Hat Trick
901. Hard Target
902. Reversal
9001. Big Game Hunter
900001. "Deeyubble Kill"

Overall, I liked most of his H5 announcements. A few just sound off

I'd swap in Top Gun for Hat Trick.

Impala26

go to 24:17 in video 2

Johnson sings a song about his death

Obviously the big talking point of the day is the Beta blog post, but I can't get over how much interesting dialogue was actually removed from Halo 3. Now there's always reasons for things to meet the cutting room floor, but honestly I thought several lines in the second vid would have greatly added to experience--namely several Cortana and Gravemind lines.

I mean there's the nod that Cortana makes that if Chief didn't destroy Halo 04 then it wouldn't be at the Ark now being rebuilt with Gravemind and the majority of the Flood forces trying to fight over control of the Ark--as if Cortana planned it perfectly like that all along. There's also tons more oblique nods to Gravemind's/The Flood's past and how he's been plotting and planning for eons to again rise to power, but is then unabashedly enraged that it's all been undone by a single A.I.'s trickery. Good stuff, really fascinating to hear it (even extra lines of "Crazy Cortana" banter).

Johnson (singing)
"Some enchanted evening... you will meet a cyborg..."

And as great as all that is, I just simply cannot ignore that user's video of Halo DK mode.

Seriously, what a day...

Mdot

Posted in the other thread on the main page that two of my largest complaints are being addressed: bonus for SmartLink to automatic weapons and the huge scope on the DMR. Def glad to see these being implemented. Still hope they tweak the SMG a bit.

Impala26

I know I'm probably the only one that actively cares about this lol, but just pliss help us out because I think most players don't care enough to recognize what significance motion tracker has on all levels of play, especially at higher skill levels. Perhaps removing it once reaching Onyx would be best, and then changing default motion tracker to sound-based so it doesn't gimp movement.

Can't wait to see the Legendary Magnum ;]

How about a motion tracker that gives precise position of all players, including motionless ones, but that data is only updated on the tracker with every 2-3 second "ping"? I some ways that would make it similar to Destiny's I suppose.

I'm curious to see how this game will be played at it's highest level with the ability to disable sprint and other spartan abilities. While options are always nice, I hope this doesn't become a case of competitive Halo playing vastly different from the way the game plays out of the box.

Also I like my dudebro spartans. I want more high fives, not less!

And as great as all that is, I just simply cannot ignore that user's video of Halo DK mode.
Halo needs more fun stuff like this. It's how you can keep the game feeling fun and appeal to all crowds without artificially changing the tone of the game.

Speaking of which, where's Halo Kart or Mini Spartans for Custom Games?

How about a motion tracker that gives precise position of all players, including motionless ones, but that data is only updated on the tracker with every 2-3 second "ping"? I some ways that would make it similar to Destiny's I suppose.
I don't like "including motionless ones." I just think they need to either remove it completely or make it sound/health-based, and the ping idea might be alright under these circumstances.

jem0208

Halo needs more fun stuff like this. It's how you can keep the game feeling fun and appeal to all crowds without artificially changing the tone of the game.

Speaking of which, where's Halo Kart or Mini Spartans for Custom Games?

I don't like "including motionless ones." I just think they need to either remove it completely or make it sound/health-based, and the ping idea might be alright under these circumstances.

I would absolutely love it if they were to add some more "silly" skulls in 5. For example big head or mini character models.

Also skulls in custom games.

THRILLH0

Banned
So, you're mad you got your hopes up for something else when it was obvious Tashi was talking about this blog since he posted right after that tweet was posted...?

I'm criticising the fact that MCC is still a broken clusterfuck and the communication of late has been virtually non-existent yet all of a sudden we've got 343 employees popping up shouting "look over here, look over here!" for a blog post about the next product we're supposed to spend money on.

VinFTW

I'm criticising the fact that MCC is still a broken clusterfuck and the communication of late has been virtually non-existent yet all of a sudden we've got 343 employees popping up shouting "look over here, look over here!" for a blog post.

Two teams. I don't get pissed at the UC4 team for not showing me tLoU2 stuff. We already have a targeted release for the biggest patch ever. That was just announced a week ago. Not to mention planned fixes (hit reg. etc)

edit: way to ignore the rest of my post

THRILLH0

Banned
Two teams. I don't get pissed at the UC4 team for not showing me tLoU2 stuff. We already have a targeted release for the biggest patch ever. That was just announced a week ago. Not to mention planned fixes (hit reg. etc)

If every 2014 Ford Taurus sold spontaneously combusted in December do you think Ford's other team would be out there shouting that "you're really going to love the new Mustang tho!"

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they shouldn't be working on Guardians but it's incredibly tone deaf and insulting to paying customers that they're pushing it so hard when there's radio silence on MCC a lot of the time.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Time for icon change perhaps?
Also, what's actually on the visor right now? It used to be a single tear, now I can't tell what the hell's going on, lol

I think it is time for me to change it back.

The one I was using was a shittly photoshopped version of the "Vietnam war memorial Halo edition" picture that went around awhile ago. It just turned out to be a big bag of ass.

Here's the full res along with the image I based it off.

Welfare

I think it is time for me to change it back.

The one I was using was a shittly photoshopped version of the "Vietnam war memorial Halo edition" picture that went around awhile ago. It just turned out to be a big bag of ass.

Here's the full res along with the image I based it off.

I thought it was tear in the visor, not that.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Posted in the other thread on the main page that two of my largest complaints are being addressed: bonus for SmartLink to automatic weapons and the huge scope on the DMR. Def glad to see these being implemented. Still hope they tweak the SMG a bit.

If the full-autos are getting nerfed, what else needs tweaking to them?

RBK

Banned
Slight range nerf for AR/slight damage nerf for SMG.

SMG is brutal in CQC and will beat out ARs all the time, which should be the better overall weapon. Only advantage I think the SMG should have is more accuracy with Smart Scope.

Ramirez

I'm criticising the fact that MCC is still a broken clusterfuck and the communication of late has been virtually non-existent yet all of a sudden we've got 343 employees popping up shouting "look over here, look over here!" for a blog post about the next product we're supposed to spend money on.

I don't think anyone who read those notes is ok with the MCC situation. It's still fair for people to be happy that some of their feedback was listened to for Halo 5.

I encourage anyone who has the digital MCC to get a refund ASAP, and if you got physical, RIP.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Maybe Halo Waypoint should just be modified with a large red banner that says,

"HALO MCC AND HALO 5 ARE SEPARATE TEAMS WITHIN 343."

or throw that up for the message of the day till it's fixed.

Seriously.

jem0208

Something else I found interesting in the little stats infographic...

Apparently Blue won 52.55% of matches and Red won 47.45%. With a total of 20'000'000 matches.

That means that Blue won: 20'000'000*0.5255 = 10'510'000. Whereas Red won 9'490'000.

That's a difference of 1'020'000 matches.

Now, I thought it would be interesting to try and figure out what the probability of this difference happening would be, assuming that the probability of either team winning was 50%. It's negligible, and by negligible I mean literally negligible. There would be a higher chance of you being struck by lightning every year for rest of your life. It essentially broke Wolfram Alpha trying to find out.

Basically, Blue is 100% statistically proven to be the better team.

Welfare

Apparently Blue won 52.55% of matches and Red won 47.45%. With a total of 20'000'000 matches.

That means that Blue won: 20'000'000*0.5255 = 10'510'000. Whereas Red won 9'490'000.

Now, I thought it would be interesting to try and figure out what the probability of this difference happening would be, assuming that the probability of either team winning was 50%. It's negligible, and by negligible I mean literally negligible. There would be a higher chance of you being struck by lightning every year for rest of your life. It essentially broke Wolfram Alpha trying to find out.

Ha! Suck it Reds!

Impala26

Good maths.

Even though that's only a variance of 5%, over such a large sample size that clearly proves that Blue team has a distinct advantage and cannot be written off due to sheer random odds. Now what that advantage is be it visibility, spawn and/or something else is up for debate.

Regarding the beta blog I'm just happy to see datacentre selection as opt in, GREAT MOVE 343. Now 343 please take this advice and extend that DC choice to coop and custom games too.

Regarding CSR I understand team ranking is paramount, accepted. However being the beta only had arena I presume other playlists will be individual based? Hopefully the other default playlists are individual e.g. objective or team slayer.

Funny thing about this is there has been many studies in recent times (like the last 20 years) for IRL competitive sports and there is a measurable psychological advantage to team colours such as red. To have this data show Halo online as blue team winning flies in the face of IRL studies. I can't say I ever bought into the data for red being dominate so I'm happy to see blue get in front. SUCK IT RED.

jem0208

Good maths.

Even though that's only a variance of 5%, over such a large sample size that clearly proves that Blue team has a distinct advantage and cannot be written off due to sheer random odds. Now what that advantage is be it visibility, spawn and/or something else is up for debate.

I saw that edit ;)

To make it slightly more maths-y... The chance of being hit by lightning once a year for 80 years is around 1.2*10^-453 %. It would even less likely for Blue to have won that many more if the teams were even.

But yeah, they certainly have an advantage. I'd imagine it's most likely visibility as the majority of the maps were symmetrical.

THRILLH0

Banned
Maybe Halo Waypoint should just be modified with a large red banner that says,

"HALO MCC AND HALO 5 ARE SEPARATE TEAMS WITHIN 343."

or throw that up for the message of the day till it's fixed.

Seriously.

Oh ok, so tashi and stinkles are in the Halo 5 team right? Because they've said bupkiss about MCC lately.

jem0208

Soon.

H5 teams and MCC teams are not sharing bandwidth or resources. Or tech for that matter.

MCC big fix is making good progress. More news soon.

Awesome! Looking forward to a time when the complaining can stop.

Also, there wasn't a mention of it in the blog post (or at least I didn't notice it) however are you guys addressing the fact the Blur visibility issue?

Yeah, that's never going to happen.

Ever.

I'm hoping the complaining about the MCC can subside, at least a little bit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's possible, just not a fan of the 11% sprint poll results, the poll itself was skewed in such a way were it wasn't fully asked and took a few questions to finally get your answer across. Add in the selective chance to the poll. The whole irony is this is coming after

68fd4c6c2b83c2007f9013a80033c632.png

Links:
http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2qpdbm/surprising_poll_results_sprint_halo_does_the/

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-selection_bias

------
I get it, it's just ironic now looking back at it.

You may not like it but the poll was the poll. We weren't trying to confirm some bias. There's nothing skewed or controlled about the stats, numbers or feedback. That's the feedback.

VinFTW

You may not like it but the poll was the poll. We weren't trying to confirm some bias. There's nothing skewed or controlled about the stats, numbers or feedback. That's the feedback.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have the pros vote on HCS settings? Would you guys even allow for no sprint to be the gold standard for HCS and have a MM playlist at launch with that? Keeps all parties happy, IMO.

Top Bottom