• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Haruko

Went 11-1 on Breakout to carry my team at PAX booth. Feels good, man.

I asked if we'd see a BTB Beta this summer and was told yes by a 343 staffer. I think he may be trolling me though. D:

Ghazi

All this book discussion made me remember halogaf's best post
iW2Lsgt.png
pouring-out-liquor.gif

RIP

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
What the fuck is this bull 343i

Spoiler regarding a new EU "piece".
You've just gone and killed off the Rookie from ODST? The main character of a series installment and you wrote him off in some damn throwaway E-book? An installment which despite not having any of the main franchise characters still managed to carve out a following and you just killed him off in one of your disappointing EU offerings?

Yes, I am mad.
tumblr_m32iavMfOr1r3rj31.gif

Madness

Even if Rookie is a shitty non-speaking avatar for the character, it still makes little sense for them to
kill him off in some book the majority of people probably aren't going to read or even know about. Hell I wouldn't have known if whoever had read the book posted it a few pages ago. But to me he's just like Noble Six, and I'm pretty sure all of us were bummed out with the "There'll be another time..." last level on Reach. They killed him off for the same reason Halsey supposedly had to lose an arm. Create some faux anger at hurting established characters. They need fans to be angry at the rebels/insurrectionists, so they thought let's just have them kill Rookie.

Mix

Hey y'all, I'm hosting customs if y'all are interested. Starting about 7:30CST/8:30EST/5:30PST
Just send me a message on xbox live, we'll probably play some more dat fiesta with random mierda, and more! My gamertag is MIXMASTERCHlEF

nillapuddin

As someone who hasn't check in a few days, WTF to that spoiler shit, but what book are we even talking about? I have no idea of some new EU piece

Rev3rb

Hey y'all, I'm hosting customs if y'all are interested. Starting about 7:30CST/8:30EST/5:30PST
Just send me a message on xbox live, we'll probably play some more dat fiesta with random mierda, and more! My gamertag is MIXMASTERCHlEF

I'll probably jump in on this, now that the game is working.

Even if Rookie is a shitty non-speaking avatar for the character, it still makes little sense for them to
kill him off in some book the majority of people probably aren't going to read or even know about. Hell I wouldn't have known if whoever had read the book posted it a few pages ago. But to me he's just like Noble Six, and I'm pretty sure all of us were bummed out with the "There'll be another time..." last level on Reach. They killed him off for the same reason Halsey supposedly had to lose an arm. Create some faux anger at hurting established characters. They need fans to be angry at the rebels/insurrectionists, so they thought let's just have them kill Rookie.

What's funny is, if they'd just had
Buck
show up in Halo 5 and say that
the Rookie had been killed by Insurrectionists,
it would have worked just as well.

Yeah, I'm down. Been too long since I've played some Halo.

The EU freakout:
Oh so they killed off the no name, nondescript character that held my gun during ODST? Who cares. The character was invented just as a viewpoint in the game, and had absolutely no personality or characterization. The rookie is even more of a non-character than Noble 6. At least Noble 6 was killed at the end of the game so that this weird outcry couldn't happen in regards to that nobody.

Perhaps the rookie should have been killed off in Halo 5? Yeah that'd be easy. You're in some battle playing as Locke or Chief or whatever and you have some ODST npc's with you. One of them dies. Maybe you even team killed him. That random ODST was the rookie. Oh noes!

By the way, how was this "character" referred to in this story? Did they legit write "The Rookie"? lol
Pretty absurd.

The EU freakout:
Oh so they killed off the no name, nondescript character that held my gun during ODST? Who cares. The character was invented just as a viewpoint in the game, and had absolutely no personality or characterization. The rookie is even more of a non-character than Noble 6. At least Noble 6 was killed at the end of the game so that this weird outcry couldn't happen in regards to that nobody.

Perhaps the rookie should have been killed off in Halo 5? Yeah that'd be easy. You're in some battle playing as Locke or Chief or whatever and you have some ODST npc's with you. One of them dies. Maybe you even team killed him. That random ODST was the rookie. Oh noes!

By the way, how was this "character" referred to in this story? Did they legit write "The Rookie"? lol
Pretty absurd.

Spoilers:

He's referred to as Rookie. Buck makes a comment that he wishes he was around longer so they could have given him a proper nickname.

I also don't get why people thought Buck was pretty unfazed by his death. He actually seemed genuinely saddened by it, and the Rookie's death kind of sets everything in the second half of the book in motion.

tl;dr - I really dug the novella.

Mistel

Banned
As far as silent protagonists go Rookie isn't the best he's a limited character with only a small bit of development in Dirt. The writer of Dirt said that he pretty much wrote it to flesh out Rookie.

Madness

Correct. And we will have some announcements regarding Season 2 tomorrow during the broadcast.

I know you asked a while back as well, but I played a match of one flag CTF in BTB on Stonetown and killcams were on for H2A. Is that supposed to happen?

I still say Halo 4 ODST 2 or whatever the fuck the sequel's naming convention will follow should take place immediately following the ending of The Storm, so that the ODST games start following a convention in that "game that focuses on earth after chief n' pals made a jump away from it." Difference is that ODST 2 in this case would be more of a Left 4 Dead survival horror sort of thing as some of the more advanced Flood forms begin attacking New Mombasa. It would probably end up taking place in "real time" considering not a whole lot of time passes between the infected Cruiser landing there and 'Vadum glassing the place rather than using the Rashomon style the original did, but the finale could be set up where the Squad has to get out of there before 'Vadum glasses the area.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I never knew a character who's only dialogue was grunting could be considered so important...

Seriously, the Rookie is barely a character. Even less so than the other bloody ODSTs. He's an empty vessel to allow the player to fill his shoes. He is literally only a suit of armour. Kill off an actual character like Halsey or Lasky and then being annoyed makes sense. The Rookie would not have had any effect on the future installments of Halo, his death is meaningless.

Also the main character of ODST is definitely not the Rookie.
EU SPOILER DISCUSSION

His death being meaningless is exactly the problem imo. It brings up the question of why did they do it in the first place?

As for his character (or lack thereof), I think it's a case of character where the space around them creates the shape. Their small reactions and little bits of dialogue sort of made implications about the character. Naturally that allows everybody else to create their own interpretation of the Rookie's character but I think it could've been cool for the Rookie to return in the mainline games as one the more level headed and competent Spartan IV's.
People actually care? Completely blank slate character, lol.
By meaningless I meant in the context of the overarching storyline. His death will have no effect on the future story; just as his living would not (had he survived). In the context of a short story based around that troupe of ODSTs, his death can have an impact.

Had he survived, any inclusion in a future installment would have elicited nothing more than a "heh, that's cool". His impact on the story would be no greater than a brand new character. A better suit for any role he could take would be one of the other ODSTs who already have some established character and role, such as Buck.

Another issue with including of the Rookie as a character in a future game would be that you would break that illusion that he was a vessel for the player to fill.

All of that said, I would have liked to see him in a ODST 2. Maybe we can play throught the events leading to the Rookie's death?
The EU freakout:

Pretty absurd.
Guys, guys it's a metaphor.
The character was a silent protagonist made for players to assume the role of and so by killing this character 343 is effectively killing the player and thus effectively killing the playerbase canonically.

halo is dead
long live halo

Booshka

Correct. And we will have some announcements regarding Season 2 tomorrow during the broadcast.

Just in time for Halo 2's 10 year Anniversary working date.

Tournament is being ran pretty well so far, so good on ya guys for that. Although 7am PST is a little rough for starting time.

Welfare

The character was a silent protagonist made for players to assume the role of and so by killing this character 343 is effectively killing the player and thus effectively killing the playerbase canonically.

halo is dead
long live halo

The circle has been completed.

TheXbox

So I finally got the game last night, along with an Xbox. Finished CE on Legendary, now playing H2A multi. This is exactly what I wanted Halo 4 to be.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Tournament is being ran pretty well so far, so good on ya guys for that. Although 7am PST is a little rough for starting time.

Thanks. 7am is indeed rough, but that's unfortunately one of the sacrifices we had to make. We couldn't do a double elimination, best-of-5 tournament with all matches shown on stream at PAX East and get it all in on time.

We pushed the start an hour tomorrow to accommodate as much as we can.

VinFTW

It's been changed to 8AM PST, according to Bravo on Twitter.

And great job so far Tashi, seriously, amazing stuff to you and the rest of the HCS team. If we can expect G4G/S1 Finals quality from every LAN event (both stream quality and next season with some new maps, then HCS should get a nice boost in consistent viewership leading into (hopefully) a big first season with Halo 5.

And by Tashi, on NeoGAF.

Obviously I posted this before seeing Tashi's post.

Tashi

It's been changed to 8AM PST, according to Bravo on Twitter.

And great job so far Tashi, seriously, amazing stuff to you and the rest of the HCS team. If we can expect G4G/S1 Finals quality from every LAN event (both stream quality and next season with some new maps, then HCS should get a nice boost in consistent viewership leading into (hopefully) a big first season with Halo 5.

Obviously I posted this before seeing Tashi's post.

Thanks man! We're really pleased with how this event is showing up on stream and so are the fans. ESL is top notch!

Season 2 will be bigger and better in a lot of ways, but also tighter and more refined. I'm very excited for what's to come.

We had a timed after-match lobby in the Halo 5 beta, one of the smoothest features of the U.I.

Tashi, front and center, this is your mother speaking:

Please tell your upline/corporate overlords/343i buddies that the H5 post match lobby is very nice, and to pretty please copy/paste it into the Master Chief Collection?

And on a pesonal note: fix joining custom games in progress, customs are no fun waiting in lobbies while that last person to join is delayed, or you are sitting in a party waiting for your friends current custom game to end, or having to end game to let players in.

Please tell me it's being worked on, looked at, given a spitball in the sky, something!

If you guys fix it the way I hope, you may have something nice waiting for you the next time you're in Las Vegas :)

(IF You make momma happy;)

rrc1594

I'm down for this

belushy

Banned
Thanks man! We're really pleased with how this event is showing up on stream and so are the fans. ESL is top notch!

Season 2 will be bigger and better in a lot of ways, but also tighter and more refined. I'm very excited for what's to come.

Is all the new info on whats going down being announced tomorrow, or just a small bit? I'm hoping for more lan tournaments, and maybe FFA finals too.

What?
the only Spartans they killed off were black team. Blue team is still alive.

I wonder when they're gonna stop the escalation series, if they continue for too much longer way too much time is going to have past since Halo 4.
As of Escalations 15, a full year has past since chief landed on Requiem.

Mortal Didacta happened.

Booshka

More early game Listen-ins Tashi, Teams opening strats and chatter is more interesting than the Commentators usually. Pull back out to commentators after the game has settled into a groove, then back in for a Listen in during any stalemates, or if the game goes long. Commentators for the very end of the game is fine. But, I prefer 50/50 for Commentator to Player chat.

Welp yes They killed
the player (you) too offscreen
. The main thing is he wasnt developed to be considered important like Noble 6.

Mix

Okay guys, starting it a few minutes early but if you wanna jump on, I'm turning on my xbox right now. MIXMASTERCHlEF (the I in chief a lower case L)
Is anyone on here knight rider?

Tashi

Is all the new info on whats going down being announced tomorrow, or just a small bit? I'm hoping for more lan tournaments, and maybe FFA finals too.

It's actually pretty substantial info about Season 2. Nothing earth shattering but we think players will be pretty pleased.

More early game Listen-ins Tashi, Teams opening strats and chatter is more interesting than the Commentators usually. Pull back out to commentators after the game has settled into a groove, then back in for a Listen in during any stalemates, or if the game goes long. Commentators for the very end of the game is fine. But, I prefer 50/50 for Commentator to Player chat.

Good feedback, I am telling Lenox and Bravo right now...

K just told them, will likely happen tomorrow. Wake up at 8am to watch! Haha

Top Bottom