• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStrong

3Xmqnyd.png

Wonder what this means. Working for a new studio?

His LinkedIn says he's President of Marty O'Donnell Music. XD

Fuchsdh

Probably controversial, but I think I enjoyed Davidge and J.'s ambient/noncinematic stuff on the balance more than a lot of recent O'Donnell stuff. I might not have enjoyed the middle pylon bit of "Forerunner", but I love the soundtrack with its pulsing electronics. The multiplayer map music is also beautiful, especially "Solace". (although I'm not entirely sure where this stuff ended up in the game itself, since they obviously aren't used in the maps for which they are named.)

Probably controversial, but I think I enjoyed Davidge and J.'s ambient/noncinematic stuff on the balance more than a lot of recent O'Donnell stuff. I might not have enjoyed the middle pylon bit of "Forerunner", but I love the soundtrack with its pulsing electronics. The multiplayer map music is also beautiful, especially "Solace". (although I'm not entirely sure where this stuff ended up in the game itself, since they obviously aren't used in the maps for which they are named.)

The names aren't indicative of their original intent. The only real insight we've been given into deliberate usage of particular tracks is with the original, Vol. 1 release of the Halo 4 Original Soundtrack, which credits certain musicians for working on a track named "Librarian." This track doesn't exist in either volume, but it can be pretty easily surmised that it refers to the one occasion where we see the Librarian: the hugeass cutscene in the middle of the game during the level Reclaimer. This "Librarian Suite" consists of bits of a modified arrangement of Haven (which never actually saw a release), Atonement (the main menu wailing) and primarily Solace, which is the most untouched of the three. Chief encounters the Librarian on the edge of Haven's geometry in that scene, which is presumably why it got that name.

jem0208

I think H4's soundtrack is pretty fantastic actually, the main issue with it was that it wasn't used to that great of effect during gameplay.

I think most of the flack it gets is due to it not being made by Marty and hence "not Halo", not that it's actually bad.

Boasting about improved internet and doesn't post a Speedtest?

For shame.

master chief
4404685043.png

Still terrible by most standards but OH MY GOD IT'S SO DAMN FAST.

I was getting a download speed of 2mb/s... 2mb/s! That's crazy talk.

HTupolev

My big qualm with the Halo 4 soundtrack is that it doesn't feel as unified as Bungie's works. Pick any Halo game, and you can find a decent variety of musical styles to suit the game's various needs, but it all sounds like it's from the same soundtrack. If you say "Halo 1 music", there's a general sort of aesthetic that comes to mind.

I don't have a strong sense for what "Halo 4 music" is. It doesn't create a part of Halo 4's character to the same extent that Marty's music does for the Halo games he worked on.

It's not bad, and has some pretty neat melodies and ambient work, but as a soundtrack it seems like it's definitely Halo's least good.

CyReN

I just want the monks back, Halo 4 soundtrack was decent. Just only a handful of songs (Requiem, To Galaxy, 117, etc) that stuck with me after playing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
New Studio: 343Industries. :D Pls,pls,pls!

Afraid not!

Although I was just jammin' to the smooth sounds of ODST.

I have an idea what it is, but it ain't Halo.

Also I think you guys, loosely speaking, will really enjoy Kazuma's new stuff. Much more orchestral and "traditionally Halo" than the Davidge/Kazuma hybrid.

can we get acknowledgement about the broken CE bullet magnetization? please?

this should not be difficult to fix in a timely manner

Yes, it's a weird reversion that is being fixed.

Afraid not!

Also I think you guys, loosely speaking, will really enjoy Kazuma's new stuff. Much more orchestral and "traditionally Halo" than the Davidge/Kazuma hybrid.

Is it more inclined to "Halo 5 Guardians Beta" or "Halo 4 Volume 2?"

Until i hear a new kinda version of the Halo Theme in my Main menu, i wont believe it :p

I wasnt really impressed with the Beta track.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 4's music was the best thing about it. Some quality tracks, though it was missing that strong theme to tie it all together.

philipnash19

Neo Member
Afraid not!

Will the original theme be back, in some form like the E3 2014 trailer when locke is walking to the window or the part in Chiefs live action trailer when he looks up at the statue?

Been loving every piece of audio/music/sound design honestly. The execution of the music in the Hunt The Truth episodes is spot on, right in the feels. Looking forward to what you guys have in store for Halo 5 and if you can get my heart going ;]
"The Pistol is way too easy to dong with." --before latest patch (no, it wasn't)
"Nice, it's just like OG Xbox!" --after latest patch (no, it's not)​
Must be funny for you to read sometimes lol

Were the hitboxes and/or aim assist increased when you fixed the Pistol the first time around? And what caused this reversion, were you guys lowering the bullet magnetism or was this caused by something unrelated to aim assist? And if you simply say "Yes." as a response, so help me baby jesus..

He is a stage producer for each publisher's show?

Yeah that was my big "wtf" red flag. Especially since all the publishers are at different locations. Can't really say this guy is a convention center employee, cause they sure as shit wouldn'thave all this info.

Though now I totally want a survival horror JP game...

TheXbox

Kinda hope Marty is doing his own thing right now. He's way too talented to be tied to Halo all his life, and Kazuma is a decent composer.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Hey, if he made 117 then he can do the OST for Halo any time.

Glad that Marty's getting back in the game, hopefully it's for a great franchise that I'll actually play.

I'm listening to that track now and yeah it's one of my favorites too

Almost makes me want to boot up Halo 4.

MouldyK

Splatoon Ranked Battle...

My Team:

- C
- C+
- C
- C-

Enemy Team:

- B
- B+
- B
- B+

If I wanted Unfair Rankings on Teams, i'd play Halo.

Also, why would Capcom do Outrun 2016? Wouldn't that be SEGA? And Monster Hunter 5? Maybe he means Monster Hunter X, but still sounds fake.

singhr1

11271158_850662095027320_295848587_n.jpg

Take it how you will, but it's right about the controller and the alan wake stuff, alot is questionable is however.

LOL KINECT WITH PROJECTOR. If that EVER happens I'm going die of laughter. What is the Kinect supposed to project on? Your face? Man what a $600 contraption that would be. This list is a joke. Too many things wrong to make the few plausible things accurate.

Mouldy, aren't you one of the many people who defended Splatoon's shortcomings?

lol, just imagine if you could communicate with your team and party up with friends ;]

Overdoziz

Banned
Someone should definitely make a dino survival horror game at some point, though. Frank, please tell Larry to tell Bill Gates to get on it.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh man, "Arrival" is so good too.

The OST doesn't quite mesh with Halo, generally speaking - but it's really strong on its own.

jelly

I want more environmental sound effects in Halo 5. Just the wind blowing adds so much. Halo CE was great with that, even in multiplayer. Fingers crossed for alien dust bowl and whistling corridors.

Halo 4 soundtrack grew on me outside of the game but the game mix and gameplay points didn't work well, 117 was good at the end though. It wasn't too memorable like Marty and Salvatori tracks. You could listen to an old Halo track and visualise the level. Very unique tracks whereas Halo 4 doesn't have that instant identity. Still a good soundtrack though.

MouldyK

Mouldy, aren't you one of the many people who defended Splatoon's shortcomings?

lol, just imagine if you could communicate with your team and party up with friends ;]

Hey, man, they just gave us a free map and a 2nd gamemode...I mean, sure it was On-Disc DLC, but whatever...lol.

And I ain't hating on it, I mean ranking systems are hard to do in games. And the rest of the game is quite solid. Will keep me company until Halo 5 atleast.

Don't regret buying the Special Edition for the Amiibo, then trading in the box so I could get the Digital Edition.

I mean, I dunno what i'd go as far to say as what these guys say:

OK so this game is my favourite online shooter since Halo 2. It's that good. There's so much potential yet to be realized as well. It's only going to get better.

Most fun I've had in an online shooter since Halo 3. I agree, it's that good.

BTW, the Ranked Mode has an odd system in place. Like imagine if you had King of the Hill, but where:

- If time runs out, you get points based on how much you had left to get (and winning teams get bonus EXP of course).
- If the other team gets to 100 seconds within the allotted time, even if you got to 98 seconds, you get "Knocked Out" so you get NO EXP! Wanted just 20 points for that new hat you wanna buy? TOO BAD, YOU LOST!

Ugh, so many teammates snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the same manner as Battlefield games...get control of map, and instead of holding the middle at a choke point, the team gets ocd and overextends to try and spawn camp, which inevitably leads to our team getting flanked and screwed in the final seconds.

Been watching this same phenomenon lose matches in various games for 20 years, and it's still as infuriating as the first time.

War...War Never Changes.

Just more memorable sounds in general. Good marine banter, funny sounding Grunts, some proper damn Halo music. A lot of character from the Bungie Halos comes from its various sounds.

That and they weren't deathly afraid of the color purple.

Yeah Mouldy, I agree with how good Splatoon is. Reallyyyyyy fun game, but limited in content unfortunately. Either way, these days it's about jumping from game to game for me, and getting that Splatoon itch scratched feels amazing.

Can't wait for parties and friends to stay on the same team. The game's going to be so much more fun for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom