• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

Oh man, that 15 minute Warzone game was amazing. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this some time soon.

jem0208

Yeah, I don't know if that was a smart move. I mean, E3 is a huge event, and showing off Scalebound, Quantum Break, and Crackdown would've generated a lot of buzz, and those 3 would've helped with the pacing of the conference.

You start off with Halo 5, then a new IP in Recore (unfortunately it was CG), and then BAM. Backwards compatibility, new controller, and Fallout 4 with mods coming. EA Access with free Titanfall and soon Dragon Age. Pretty good so far.

Then CG for Garden Warfare 2, Forza 6, and DS3. Meh. We get back to gameplay with the Division and Siege.

Back to CG with Gigantic, and then an indie reel. We get info on Early Access on Xbox and a few games that'll be in the program.

Tomb Raider shows up, and then Rare's 30th anniversary collection and Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, Minecraft Hololens, Gears 1 remastered and then finally Gears 4.

The entire middle section was extremely boring and footage of those 3 games sprinkled around there would've made this an amazing E3 conference. The low moments would be far between each other to have really noticed until later viewing or thought. One thing Sony's conference had over Microsoft's was pacing. "Megatons" were everywhere and any low moments were overshadowed by said "megatons".

Can't wait for Nintendo's!
Forza was gameplay, they never use CG when showing off Forza.

I'd argue the indie reel was very good, obviously there wasn't any megaton moments in it but some of the games looked really interesting.

Also I haven't watched it, but what were the Sony megatons?

Initially warzone looked cool, but the details are really turning me off. Getting the needed powerweapons and vehicles for the gamemode through random card packs? I totally see them selling card packs for $$$, seems like they found another way to finance their mp dlc maps. It was already a big problem in H4 when the other team got a good amount of amazing powerweapons through personal ordanance while your team is getting useless stuff. Now it's the same thing, how should you fight back if the enemy team got a huge amount of cards for powerful weapons?

The vidoc totally screams that 343i hat not learned what players hated about Halo 4s multiplayer, against the vidoc it is not fun when everything is exploding and everbody got a powerweapon. Even big modes should be all about skill, that's why Invasion was so amazing that it became one of the most active playlists in Reach.

I already see it being very frustrating when you just dont get good RNG cards. Who really needs Storm Rifle oder Plasma Repeater cards if you have AR+Magnum starts?

Oh and collecting armor for the game through random card packs? That sucks, hide them behind difficult achievements and stuff, not RNG...

They clearly have learnt what people hated about 4 because that's why they went and made all those changes to arena. This is clearly intended to be a very casual, fun game mode. I don't see an issue with it as long as it's kept seperate from arena.

Linearity, scripted events. For all we know the other 99% of the campaign is this magnificent open experience, the problem is that they didn't show off that part in order to alleviate some of the concerns.

My hope is that that vid was soscripted, it was rigged for E3 specifically.

Madness

Whatever happens, this is the make or break Halo game. Campaign, multi-player, this is either going to be really fun and bring all the fans back, or it will lose them forever.

E3 demos have always been fairly scripted, and I don't think they've ever demoed content that's pulled directly from the campaign without heavy alterations. H4's demo from the level Infinity had a few scripted segments added that were largely pulled from Forerunner for example.

And Frankie has already said multiple times that they explicitly used an abnormally linear/scripted segment because it demoes better in a 4-minute live feed that's part of a major conference.

Welfare

Forza was gameplay, they never use CG when showing off Forza.

I'd argue the indie reel was very good, obviously there wasn't any megaton moments in it but some of the games looked really interesting.

Also I haven't watched it, but what were the Sony megatons?

Forza was in game? I honestly couldn't remember.

Indie reel was alright, but that segment about the Early Access program wasn't interesting.

Sony showed of TLG, FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, Black Ops 3 1 month early DLC, 6 exclusive contracts in Hitman, and probably more but it's late and can't remember.

jem0208

Forza was in game? I honestly couldn't remember.

Indie reel was alright, but that segment about the Early Access program wasn't interesting.

Sony showed of TLG, FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3, Black Ops 3 1 month early DLC, 6 exclusive contracts in Hitman, and probably more but it's late and can't remember.
Yeah, Forza reveals are always in game.

Eh, I quite liked the announcement that Elite Dangerous is out now with early access.

I thought the worst part of the MS conference was the EA part. I'm not really sure why they felt the need to tell us about Access at the conference...

Alright, well that's a lot of things I have no interest in. I'm glad MS didn't show any CoD stuff, more room for more interesting things.

daedalius

Watched the 15m warzone match

New pistol looks to be 5sk with a 12 round magazine, not bad

Mantis looks way more effective than before. Can't shoot off one rocket at a time, always a full burst. Machine gun looks substantially more accurate.

Rec system looks cool, late game is going to be bonkers.

Looking forward to seeing more about it

I still can't believe there won't a public beta for warzone.

Its weirdly rational. Teamwork will be huge but even confused scrubs can really help your team.

Frankie, do you mean rational in internal playtests?

See, this is why you need a public playtest, you need to get douchebags and scumbags to break, exploit and abuse every element of this game type, it's a bit like DICE, where they test by playing like gentlemen, but the actual population doesn't play like that.

Scumbags like myself and Over.

scently

Yeah, I don't know if that was a smart move. I mean, E3 is a huge event, and showing off Scalebound, Quantum Break, and Crackdown would've generated a lot of buzz, and those 3 would've helped with the pacing of the conference.

You start off with Halo 5, then a new IP in Recore (unfortunately it was CG), and then BAM. Backwards compatibility, new controller, and Fallout 4 with mods coming. EA Access with free Titanfall and soon Dragon Age. Pretty good so far.

Then CG for Garden Warfare 2, Forza 6, and DS3. Meh. We get back to gameplay with the Division and Siege.

Back to CG with Gigantic, and then an indie reel. We get info on Early Access on Xbox and a few games that'll be in the program.

Tomb Raider shows up, and then Rare's 30th anniversary collection and Sea of Thieves, Fable Legends, Minecraft Hololens, Gears 1 remastered and then finally Gears 4.

The entire middle section was extremely boring and footage of those 3 games sprinkled around there would've made this an amazing E3 conference. The low moments would be far between each other to have really noticed until later viewing or thought. One thing Sony's conference had over Microsoft's was pacing. "Megatons" were everywhere and any low moments were overshadowed by said "megatons".

Can't wait for Nintendo's!

I agree with everything you said, especially the bolded part. The pacing was off, everything was done in a rush to try and fit in too many stuffs. The F4 demo was unnecessary, R6 was not needed, too many trailers, too little live gameplay. The live gameplay they did show was way too scripted. The H5 campaign....I understand the need to show a scripted sequence but that was really underwhelming especially for someone like me who is only interested in the campaign side of the game. I personally would have preferred to see the part GI got to see than what we got.

I am sure the campaign will be great but I am still left disappointed by what I saw.

MouldyK

I agree with everything you said, especially the bolded part. The pacing was off, everything was done in a rush to try and fit in too many stuffs. The F4 demo was unnecessary, R6 was not needed, too many trailers, too little live gameplay. The live gameplay they did show was way too scripted.

I think a lot of MS's plan was for 2015 games mostly, whereas Sony's Megabombs were all 2016 for TLG, 2017 for Shenmue and probably 2020 for FF7.

Im really not sold on Warzone and that Campaign thing left me cold too :/

On the other side, Battlefront hyped me even more. It looks so awesome etc.

scently

I think a lot of MS's plan was for 2015 games mostly, whereas Sony's Megabombs were all 2016 for TLG, 2017 for Shenmue and probably 2020 for FF7.

I get that, but this is the biggest games event, this is where you create the hype. Besides, my point is that said live demo were extremely scripted and very uninteresting. They could have gone for a different demo.

I just don't think anything from Microsoft demo'd that well, which is a shame.

I haven't seen most of the Sony conference yet, will check it out after work.

jem0208

Backwards compatibility was the biggest megaton for me. Obviously the current selection of games is fairly small but more than 100 should be fine for me.

It's crazy how slick it is too, it's like a mini 360 in your X1.

scently

Backwards compatibility was the biggest megaton for me. Obviously the current selection of games is fairly small but more than 100 should be fine for me.

It's crazy how slick it is too, it's like a mini 360 in your X1.

How do you access it? is there like an app? I am already in the preview program.

jem0208

How do you access it? is there like an app? I am already in the preview program.

There's no app, just put a 360 game which is supported in and it'll work. There's only a small list at the moment though.

You can also get digital titles by going to the far right of the games and apps section.

scently

There's no app, just put a 360 game which is supported in and it'll work. There's only a small list at the moment though.

You can also get digital titles by going to the car right of the games and apps section.

I am sorry but I don't understand this part. Can you elaborate?

jem0208

I am sorry but I don't understand this part. Can you elaborate?

Sorry, had a typo. If you go to the my games section of the Games and Apps section. At the far right there is a "Ready to install" area. If you have a digital 360 game which is compatible it will show up there.

Anyone disappointed no Reach for MCC? Don't get me wrong, I know we'll get BC, but I wanted them to do what they did for Halo 3 and ODST to Reach. 1080p, 60fps, fixing any potential issues. I'd have even paid for the campaign.

Just give whoever did ODST to do it. But I truly think MCC all but dead in a couple months.

Reach is a lot more difficult than ODST would be I imagine. They've already ported the H3 engine so porting ODST probably wasn't too difficult.

Madness

Anyone disappointed no Reach for MCC? Don't get me wrong, I know we'll get BC, but I wanted them to do what they did for Halo 3 and ODST to Reach. 1080p, 60fps, fixing any potential issues. I'd have even paid for the campaign.

Just give whoever did ODST to do it. But I truly think MCC all but dead in a couple months.

Maybe a small and big version of this statue..

I reread it. Looks like there's a guardian model in each, and the statue in the LCE is something completely different (Locke and Chief). Missed that, since I just read the bullets. :p

Edit: So anyway... When is this Fall of Reach animated series getting unveiled? lol

Akai__

So, the 250$ LCE doesn't come with the actual disc, but with a Download Code and a SteelBook.

Who was the smart guy behind this?

Highly scripted events, extremely linear, MC almost dies then it cuts to black.

Lol....

You mean agent Locke?

Everyone use your noggins that God gave you. Look at every single E3 demo. They are all very linear, scripted, and rehearsed. Gears of war? Walk and talk and crumbling floors. Tomb raider? Walk and talk and crumbling floors. Halo 5? Walk and talk and crumbling floors. Even the Last Guardian? Walking and "talking" and crumbling floors.

It's always very common for what they show to be a small snippet that's easy to show and follow: AKA scripted and linear.

Frank confirmed on the gaming side that the campaign is not very much like this and it's just a small vertical slice to be digested easily. What we have been told from other sources confirms that this is the case.

Calm yo-selvez

jem0208

Actually slightly disappointing for me surprise wise...

Backwards compatibility was the only surprise which interested me.

Overall a really solid E3 but nothing massively wowing.

Omni

So, the 250$ LCE doesn't come with the actual disc, but with a Download Code and a SteelBook.

Are you kidding me. Wow.

Well I'm going to cancel my pre-order tomorrow then. I'm not going to wait until launch day just so I can download 40GB+ or whatever the game might be.

Initially warzone looked cool, but the details are really turning me off. Getting the needed powerweapons and vehicles for the gamemode through random card packs? I totally see them selling card packs for $$$, seems like they found another way to finance their mp dlc maps. It was already a big problem in H4 when the other team got a good amount of amazing powerweapons through personal ordanance while your team is getting useless stuff. Now it's the same thing, how should you fight back if the enemy team got a huge amount of cards for powerful weapons?

The vidoc totally screams that 343i hat not learned what players hated about Halo 4s multiplayer, against the vidoc it is not fun when everything is exploding and everbody got a powerweapon. Even big modes should be all about skill, that's why Invasion was so amazing that it became one of the most active playlists in Reach.

I already see it being very frustrating when you just dont get good RNG cards. Who really needs Storm Rifle oder Plasma Repeater cards if you have AR+Magnum starts?

Oh and collecting armor for the game through random card packs? That sucks, hide them behind difficult achievements and stuff, not RNG...
I hope they do sell those packs. It's worth it if all the Mp maps are free.

What if it's both disc and digital? :p

I HIGHLY doubt that, but it would be interesting.

Honestly I just wish I could pre-order the LE or LCE with no game in the box, and be given a download immediately so it could be pre-loaded and ready to go at launch. Sucks that the options are 1) no bonus content but digital pre-load or 2) bonus content but waiting in line/for a package and waiting on an install. Can't I play at midnight EST AND get cool shit? T_T

Madness

Pretty sure it will come with a disc. It makes no sense to give a steelbook case with no disc. It could probably be both versions. It is the most expensive version, maybe they want to reward fans? Who knows. I've never heard of giving you a steelbook but for no disc, so who knows.

Pretty sure it will come with a disc. It makes no sense to give a steelbook case with no disc. It could probably be both versions. It is the most expensive version, maybe they want to reward fans? Who knows. I've never heard of giving you a steelbook but for no disc, so who knows.

Come on now.

Akai__

Eh, I don't know about that. The LCE of Wolfenstein for 250$ came with no game at all. We have gone this far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom