• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 24| In Before the Locke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

That map looks incredibly bland. Reminds me of invasion all over again. Considering they'll be up against 12 players the AI must be set to Legendary difficulty and the skull that makes them dodge fire must be on. Looked like stationary bullet sponges from that video.

Looking forward to the first one rocket killionaire though.

Can you imagine if they made achievements for Warzone? Be the one to kill Baron in a match. You'd have team play go out the window for someone trying to score the final kill.

The most distracting and disappointingly bad thing about Halo 5 is the gun sound design. I mean...most of it just sounds so bland. The sword doesn't have that epic "TSSHHHHH!!!" when you open it and kill with it, the BR still sounds almost like a semi-auto single shot, the pistol sounds like "pew pew", the carbine sounds like a generic laser space weapon etc...

Is 343 opposed to meaty and powerful sounding weapons? Why did you take some of the classic ICONIC weapon designs over the years and change them? Why did you take it even further by making them sound like generic FPS gun sounds?

This REALLY irks me.

At least the game looks to play wonderfully...and that's what matters. After playing Halo CE, 2, and Halo 2 Anniversary I was assuming their sound design more like that. Oh well...

m23

Nothing in the limited edition interests me, first time I'll be getting standard edition for a Halo game since 2 (and ODST).

This year is going to be amazing though. Rare collection and Gears in August, Forza in September, new controller and Halo in October. My wallet can only take so much.

Also, Sony demolished e3, best presser in years. Microsoft brought the games with great announcements but the demos were severely lacking. Halo showing was very disappointing, was hoping they would show scale. I was very surprised about them showing Gears 4 gameplay which looked great, but again the demo was lacking. It was nice for them to set the tone and atmosphere, but it dragged on a bit much. Still a pretty great conference but them Sony announcements...

UKUMI0

I'm still confused about Bonnie's wording, when she opened the show: "So lets start today with the 1st Halo game."

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but Phil Spencer will be at the PC conference. Maybe they will announce the 2nd one there.

I think the applause interrupted her, if you ignore the applause she says:

"So, let's start today with the first Halo game...[applause]...built from the ground up for Xbox One"

[Edit: Beaten -_-]

Akai__

You're reading half the quote.

"So let's start today with the first Halo built from the ground up for the Xbox One."

I think the applause interrupted her, if you ignore the applause she says:

"So, let's start today with the first Halo game...[applause]...built from the ground up for Xbox One"

[Edit: Beaten -_-]

Fuck, makes sense. It was just so confusing yesterday. Didn't notice it.

2. I hope regular arena BTB exists

Frankie confirmed it in an other thread yesterday. Won't replace anything other than Spartan Ops and Firefight.

I would take a call of duty style spec ops over Spartan ops or war zone

I see what they are trying to do but I just don't see it being anything more than a clusterfuck

Glad they put a vidoc out, I feel clearer on what war zone is even if I'm not exactly hyped for it

willow ve

From the Warzone ViDoc
No more like fighting for that one spot on the map where the Scorpion Tank spawns. No I bring my Scorpion Tank in with me in my rec collection.

Just feel like this mentality / game design is antithetical to the tenet of map control.

Tawpgun

Wait the power weapons you get in that mode are random? It's a random roll to see what card you get?

Nice to see Kevin Franklin leaving his mark. What the hell is it with that guy and thinking randomizing everything is good for a multiplayer shooter.

Just got to watching the Warzone ViDoc and 15 minute match. Some impressions:

1. The way Personal Ordnance is handled looks to be better in this, but the fact that you can change your requisition on respawn leads me to believe you could just spawn in with your Personal Ordnance without a Req Zone, which I don't like.

2. The textures / art style look to be a lot cleaner, overall. I think switching the texture finishes to matte on a lot of the objects and generally reducing reflections / glossiness as part of handling so many variables in War Zone is a part of it, but it looks like they deliberately designed the gametype around the limitations of the engine, rather than trying to push it for all it's got, like with Halo 4 and the 360.

3. Bro Banter seems to be reduced in frequency, but the actual quips don't seem any more efficient. I still heard a couple "hey, Spartan!," "sorry," "watch your nade spam!," etc. messages.

4. I guess after Palmer botched capturing Halsey she's relegated to choreographing / announcing stuff for the Infinity sims? (War Zone is just a simulation, btw. No further attempt at contextualizing their universe was made, thankfully)

5. The Knight Warden(?) boss class is a whole new breed of bullet sponge - it looks to have taken at least five or six volleys of Mantis missile fire on top of sustained chaingun fire. Thankfully it seems to have some visual indicators that it's a separate rank outside of the actual boss icon, at least.

6. The Mantis looks to be buffed, even more so - shielding appears to recharge faster, it has a faster movement speed (or the frequency of its pacing was ramped up), it looks like the stomp overall takes the same amount of time but comes out quicker (resulting in a slightly longer cooldown animation), and the full missile volley can be charged more quickly.

7. Spartans were panting and grunting way too much. Reducing it to the tail end of your sprinting, falls that actually take damage, and taking near-lethal damage without shields should be the only times they do it, imo. Bumping into teammates in the base at the opening sounded like a casting couch.

8. ADS on Carbine looks absolutely ridiculous in a bad way - traditional scope needs to come back with it. The new ammo indicator on what used to be the scope looks awful, too - it's just a pentagon of five little hologram things that diminishes as you fire, rather than the "diminishing bar" effect.

9. ADS on the SAW looks horrible and distracting - on top of the labyrinth of super hi-tech "zoom lines" around the crosshairs, someone thought it was a good idea to throw a crapton more dead center of your screen and gaussian blur them. And they aren't even in your peripherals, they're actually taking up screen real estate! And they shake around as your SAW recoils! It seems insanely obstructive.

10. Relegating vehicle spawns to the garage / bases seems fine provided that's the only place they can spawn, mind you.

11. New Sniper ADS is a massive improvement over the old one, but I still don't see why they're so adamant about completely blocking out your peripheral vision while using them. Just reducing the opacity would be fine.

12. Thankfully Req cards appear to be exclusive to big team / War Zone and not Arena, but it is possible to unlock cosmetics for Arena. I really, really hope they don't mean weapon skins, because some of the random bullshit like the steampunk weapons completely throw the visual identity of the weapons out the window.

Also, lol at the Legendary Limited Bad Kid Edition having two statues and being a $150 difference in price because of a single large statue.

Also, lol at the Legendary Limited Bad Kid Edition having two statues and being a $150 difference in price because of a single large statue.

No disc included, either. Unless that's just poor wording on the website. :p

This+gif+gt+_e617cd8d8c39f0e1a214c091ae5a2199.gif

dwells

Maybe I've gone crazy, but I feel the need to defend 343 and their decision to show heavily scripted gameplay.

You have to remember that they have a tight time window they need to fit into and they have certain goals for what they want to show off. They also don't want any surprises. So they're left with a challenge - how do we play the game live, show the things we want to show, fit a precise time window, and ensure everything goes as we planned? A guided, scripted sequence is really the only answer.

Let's not forget the
sadly scrapped and should have been remade for H2A
Halo 2 E3 2003 demo. Everyone remembers it fondly and at the time it was absolutely mind-blowing and a huge deal. It was also extremely scripted. Doesn't mean it wasn't super cool.

If you want to criticize the content of a scripted demo, that's fine, but criticizing something for the just being scripted is unfair given the circumstances.

rrc1594

Maybe I've gone crazy, but I feel the need to defend 343 and their decision to show heavily scripted gameplay.

You have to remember that they have a tight time window they need to fit into and they have certain goals for what they want to show off. They also don't want any surprises. So they're left with a challenge - how do we play the game live, show the things we want to show, fit a precise time window, and ensure everything goes as we planned? A guided, scripted sequence is really the only answer.

Let's not forget the
sadly scrapped and should have been remade for H2A
Halo 2 E3 2003 demo. Everyone remembers it fondly and at the time it was absolutely mind-blowing and a huge deal. It was also extremely scripted. Doesn't mean it wasn't super cool.

If you want to criticize the content of a scripted demo, that's fine, but criticizing something for the just being scripted is unfair given the circumstances.

Yeah and Halo didn't even get that much time IMO.

I have a feeling some board meetings wanted something to fill in the gap that the Call of Duty exclusivity left in terms of opening with a short little scripted ditty, which is why Halo just so happened to feature something similar.

I have a feeling some board meetings wanted something to fill in the gap that the Call of Duty exclusivity left in terms of opening with a short little scripted ditty, which is why Halo just so happened to feature something similar.

I can see that. "We need something kinda boring, short, and scripted as hell to fill out time, can you whip something up for us?"

I'm sure in their own time, they got 60fps direct download Sprint/ViDocs detailing the weapons and enemies and scope of the battlefields and the dynamic encounter design and "we know we fucked up Halo 4 and the MCC but trust us it feels like Halo and 3rd times the charm" and blah blah blah.

I suppose they turned Steizer off for Warzone, huh? Dude was racking up medals but he didn't say anything. I guess it makes sense since Palmer is always announcing how many points you have, what level you are, when a boss shows up, enemy core vulnerable, and that would probably be vocal overload to have Steizer doing PUUURFECT KILL and KILLTACULAR on top of it.

E3's been amazing so far. IMO Sony did a much better job playing to the fans with Shenmue, TLG, and FF. Microsoft should have done something the fans were begging for ie Banjo 3. At least we get Conker and Banjo ports + Yooka Laylee next year!

singhr1

I suppose they turned Steizer off for Warzone, huh? Dude was racking up medals but he didn't say anything. I guess it makes sense since Palmer is always announcing how many points you have, what level you are, when a boss shows up, enemy core vulnerable, and that would probably be vocal overload to have Steizer doing PUUURFECT KILL and KILLTACULAR on top of it.

Maybe? Might just be turned off in this build as they work on it.

E3's been amazing so far. IMO Sony did a much better job playing to the fans with Shenmue, TLG, and FF. Microsoft should have done something the fans were begging for ie Banjo 3. At least we get Conker and Banjo ports + Yooka Laylee next year!

Huge nostalgia factor for those games for people. Too bad FF and Shenmue are probably 2017 games. At some point though there is so much expectation for these games that bringing classics back are really difficult if they don't live up to the high expectations we now place at them. So rather than making new ones, MS bundled 30 old Rare games and opened up BC. I don't understand why Shenmue is PS4 and PC only though if Sony supposedly has nothing to do with creating Shenmue other then launching their kickstarter considering Shenmue had always been a MS studios game.

Overall, best E3 in years and its just begun.

It's always painful watching press play Halo. Love how that guy picked rockets over a sniper rifle then proceeded to try to cross map with rockets.

Game looks fun though, I think you can get power weapons a little too early. It's also ridiculous 3 people are going around in a Mantis at the same time.

Haruko

I'll admit, as someone who's gone full digital on the Xbone, I'd be happy to get a download code AND the steelbook with the CE. If it comes with a 2nd copy of the game on disc, even better.

RowdyReverb

Some better Warzone gameplay than that terrible IGN player:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSgNz7eAmHQ
It's weird how the BR (at 8:00 in) looks and sounds like it's firing single shots instead of bursts. Is that how it was in the beta?

I'll admit, as someone who's gone full digital on the Xbone, I'd be happy to get a download code AND the steelbook with the CE. If it comes with a 2nd copy of the game on disc, even better.
Yeah. The only games I get on disc are ones I intend to sell, and I don't intend to sell H5, especially if I shelled out for the collector's edition.

343 does have some weird weapon sound design. I honestly think Reach was the Pinnacle of Halo sound design. The weapons had a certain amount of echo/reverb that made them sound powerful and satisfying (especially the DMR). Halo 4 weapons sounded very muted, like they were trying to add more thump and bass to them but they went to far or something. Halo 5 has some good sounding stuff but it's very inconsistent. I still think the DMR kinda sounds like shit.

Still, I think the weapons look great and shoot great, probably better than any other game in the Franchise. They just need a little help in the sound department.

Edit: It's also strange because Halo 2 Anniversary sounds so damn good. Get whoever worked on that game and bring them over to 343, no offense 343 sound guy.

It's weird how the BR (at 8:00 in) looks and sounds like it's firing single shots instead of bursts. Is that how it was in the beta?

Pretty much, though I noticed it was a bit more noticeable as a 3-shot burst when you were actually playing, it's just really a really nuanced sound with a small spread.

Lol....

You mean agent Locke?

Everyone use your noggins that God gave you. Look at every single E3 demo. They are all very linear, scripted, and rehearsed. Gears of war? Walk and talk and crumbling floors. Tomb raider? Walk and talk and crumbling floors. Halo 5? Walk and talk and crumbling floors. Even the Last Guardian? Walking and "talking" and crumbling floors.

It's always very common for what they show to be a small snippet that's easy to show and follow: AKA scripted and linear.

Frank confirmed on the gaming side that the campaign is not very much like this and it's just a small vertical slice to be digested easily. What we have been told from other sources confirms that this is the case.

Calm yo-selvez

No, I meant MC. MC as in main character, lol

Looking back, I see why 343 did what the did regarding the demo. They just wanted to show off the mew features.

The carbine sounds like a toy laser gun you'd buy from a dollar store. GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom