• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 25| Did you think me defeated?!"

That's it, you all jump in feet first to the new OT...

BZDnATB.jpg

I promise no more hotdog butts.

Nice to have a community thread again, HaloGAF customs still going?

belushy

Banned
That is 3/4ths of Reach Godsquad. I don't know if its the right move but I would consider Ogre 2 better than Devon.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That is 3/4ths of Reach Godsquad. I don't know if its the right move but I would consider Ogre 2 better than Devon.

I think it's a matter of team chemistry and how well they gel in-game more than anything. Devon has proven to be a great player but I guess it just wasn't working out.

This is a huge risk btw. EG could very well not qualify for the Halo World Championship Finals - but then again they were on the bubble with Devon as well.

-Ryn

Banned
HaloGAF is back in action and now we're getting split screen forever?? 2017 you continue to impress. Maybe we'll get an announcement for Halo 6 having a Chief only campaign next.

belushy

Banned
I think it's a matter of team chemistry and how well they gel in-game more than anything. Devon has proven to be a great player but I guess it just wasn't working out.

This is a huge risk btw. EG could very well not qualify for the Halo World Championship Finals - but then again they were on the bubble with Devon as well.

Yeah its definitely a risk. I hope they scrim tonight so we can see how they do haha

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yeah its definitely a risk. I hope they scrim tonight so we can see how they do haha

Ooooh definitely want to see how scrims go. My opinion on scrims has changed recently though. We had 3/4s of the Liquid team on the podcast (releases next week) but they seem to think scrim scores don't matter, and that a lot of teams just focus on winning the scrim instead of practicing and learning. It makes a lot of sense if you factor in that scrims are streamed and fans put a lot of stock in scrim scores. Scrims are high stakes, high pressure.

By contrast, I follow the DotA scene heavily and scrims are basically never streamed. As a fan of some teams, I never think, "I wonder how they're doing in scrims." where that's common place in Halo. Pretty interesting cultural difference.

I don't feel like story complexity has ever been a problem.

H4s story relies on outside info.
H5s story is nonsensical.

I hope 'simple' is slang self-contained and believable.

Agreed, I've never had issue following the story. I guess I want more "accomplished" with the story in a singular game arc. For the most part the content of the stories across all media has been really enjoyable and progressive for the universe but the games standing on their own feel a little lacklustre or jumbled.

For example take the end of H4 then start H5 leading directly off that with a sort of H2 intro mission. The connectivity and flow between games would add a fair amount to keeping the games self contained from the EU while being a sort of refresher like when you watch a quick summary from EP1 to EP2 intro of a TV series.

Hopefully this will promote more discussion on games other than 5. I'd like to play MCC every now and then, warts (Halo 3) and all.

belushy

Banned
Ooooh definitely want to see how scrims go. My opinion on scrims has changed recently though. We had 3/4s of the Liquid team on the podcast (releases next week) but they seem to think scrim scores don't matter, and that a lot of teams just focus on winning the scrim instead of practicing and learning. It makes a lot of sense if you factor in that scrims are streamed and fans put a lot of stock in scrim scores. Scrims are high stakes, high pressure.

By contrast, I follow the DotA scene heavily and scrims are basically never streamed. As a fan of some teams, I never think, "I wonder how they're doing in scrims." where that's common place in Halo. Pretty interesting cultural difference.

I feel the same way. Scrims should be about experimenting new strategies and feeling out the opposing teams.

Since now this is a general Halo thread what do you guys think about the first emote of my Twitch.tv channel? I present to you atomicKappa

I can definitely dig it. Maybe yellow up the visor a little, it's a bit more gold-ish, but other than that it's a quality spammable.

Hopefully this will promote more discussion on games other than 5. I'd like to play MCC every now and then, warts (Halo 3) and all.
Yeah, TMCC is still fun to play despite its blemishes (Halo 3). It's too bad more people don't feel the same, and it's a shame TMCC will never receive a Custom Games Browser as it'd be just as important to have as future Halo titles, TMCC issues aside.

Fuchsdh

That's it, you all jump in feet first to the new OT...

BZDnATB.jpg

I promise no more hotdog butts.

Nice to have a community thread again, HaloGAF customs still going?

One of these days I know I've got a Saturday all free I'm definitely gonna' try and host some, been far too long.

Yeah, TMCC is still fun to play despite its blemishes (Halo 3). It's too bad more people don't feel the same, and it's a shame TMCC will never receive a Custom Games Browser as it'd be just as important to have as future Halo titles, TMCC issues aside.

Yeah in retrospect I'm not sure why they really gave us the H2A Forge. It was cool as it was basically "this is what H4's Forge shoulda' been, and here's some hints for H5", but without a customs browser it was always going to be pretty DoA, even if MCC hadn't had all the issues at launch.

Played with HBO peeps on Halo's anniversary and the game was more stable than I could recall, keeping our 16-man group together for at least a half-dozen games without breaking a sweat.

Madness

The news keeps getting better and better. I watched him scrim a lot. He definitely understands the meta of H5 better than last year. Let's hope it works out for EG. Can't believe how they are struggling from X-Games time of last year.

Fuchsdh

Agreed, I've never had issue following the story. I guess I want more "accomplished" with the story in a singular game arc. For the most part the content of the stories across all media has been really enjoyable and progressive for the universe but the games standing on their own feel a little lacklustre or jumbled.

For example take the end of H4 then start H5 leading directly off that with a sort of H2 intro mission. The connectivity and flow between games would add a fair amount to keeping the games self contained from the EU while being a sort of refresher like when you watch a quick summary from EP1 to EP2 intro of a TV series.

I mentioned it in our HW2 review, but while I had my issues with the game the Logs feature definitely should be in future Halo games. Hell, bring back the "scan" feature from CEA and have the Artemis system from H5 glow when there's something you can add to the codex. Having an in-game library of canon would do wonders for offering an alternative to having to stuff the game proper full of universe details and leaving it for the EU to understand.

In halo 6 they need to reevaluate how they introduce "towns" with npcs that you can talk to.

Those missions were a waste of time for me. I just ran to the check point on screen.

In halo 6 they need to reevaluate how they introduce "towns" with npcs that you can talk to.

Those missions were a waste of time for me. I just ran to the check point on screen.

See, I quite enjoyed them. Lots of cool conversations to eavesdrop, little easter eggs to find. Good stuff.

I do think that this was the one-and-only time we'll see them, though. Between their commitment to simpler stories and the very serious possibility of switch to a central hub (the Infinity, in this case) we launch missions from, I doubt we'll see story type "missions" like that again.

See, I quite enjoyed them. Lots of cool conversations to eavesdrop, little easter eggs to find. Good stuff.

I do think that this was the one-and-only time we'll see them, though. Between their commitment to simpler stories and the very serious possibility of switch to a central hub (the Infinity, in this case) we launch missions from, I doubt we'll see story type "missions" like that again.

Yeah i mean, i didnt feel a need to go search arouns for cool things like the grunt and elite talking to eachother by the cliff. I felt like they could have made it more 'narrow' so that we would pass by those cool things instead we just are put in a big open space with a waypoint on the screen.

I think a lot of ppl missed out on the character of what halo is. That lovely charm. Like The two grunts talking you can easedrop on in that cave. Lol

Fuchsdh

Yeah i mean, i didnt feel a need to go search arouns for cool things like the grunt and elite talking to eachother by the cliff. I felt like they could have made it more 'narrow' so that we would pass by those cool things instead we just are put in a big open space with a waypoint on the screen.

I think a lot of ppl missed out on the character of what halo is. That lovely charm. Like The two grunts talking you can easedrop on in that cave. Lol

I think the issue with those guns-down missions was that they were standalone. It would have been better (especially for the Sanghelios ones) if they had stuff around the talking instead of just running around from waypoint to waypoint.

The concept of non-combat spaces with talking and interactive NPCs, along with the addition of mission intel, were additions I really loved in Halo 5 and I'd like to see return in future games.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Is there really so much halo to discuss we need it split in two threads?

Returning to a simpler story doesn't mean it can't have depth. For as simple as Halo CE's story was, it had enough nuance and mystery that makes it compelling to this day. It was a really good space drama.

It didn't have a ton of cutscenes with dramatic character exposition. It was primarily through gameplay. The cutscenes present were quick and efficient. The longest cut scene was when you played back the video footage of the flood encounter and that was just a tool to build suspension.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Halo was at its best when it was less character driven/focused. To be fair, I think Bungie was pushing it in that direction with Halo ODST and Reach. I don't think it worked particularly well. It still worked better than current Halo because they were simpler, tighter, stories.

I mentioned it in our HW2 review, but while I had my issues with the game the Logs feature definitely should be in future Halo games. Hell, bring back the "scan" feature from CEA and have the Artemis system from H5 glow when there's something you can add to the codex. Having an in-game library of canon would do wonders for offering an alternative to having to stuff the game proper full of universe details and leaving it for the EU to understand.

All good additions there. I'd also throw in the cutscene playlist post finishing the campaign, seems you can't just watch cutscenes in H5...

Go full Mass Effect with dialogue options or Skyrim NPCs etc or just don't put those sort of missions in. They added very little but had potential for so much.

Wooooooo, #weback.

Gonna get to work on the montage this weekend boys, so you've got like 12 hours to sneak some more clips in. :)

YEAH HALOGAF!!

Yeah in retrospect I'm not sure why they really gave us the H2A Forge. It was cool as it was basically "this is what H4's Forge shoulda' been, and here's some hints for H5", but without a customs browser it was always going to be pretty DoA, even if MCC hadn't had all the issues at launch.

A custom game browser for MCC would resurrect the game for sure. The matchmaking playlists are way too divisive and too many people quit when their least favorite game is chosen during voting.

Before that they should first fix the fact that you can't join a custom game in progress. I cannot believe they never addressed that, it's so weird.

Top Bottom