• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

feel

Just make whatever skill ranking system you're using show up as is in the corner of the gamertiles of something. People will deal with seeing it swing wildly up and down after inconsistent performances, and if they wanna cry about it so be it.

kylej

Banned
look on the brightside everybody, when they copy cod for halo 5 we'll get a real ranking system and real theater upgrades. :)

L1NETT

that is true but not the last word on the matter. We are tinkering with a couple of things.

tumblr_mb7ttvRWjL1qbppgpo1_500.gif

Arnie

that is true but not the last word on the matter. We are tinkering with a couple of things.

That you've been this cagey about it is the most disappointing thing.

Without a doubt you've (and I don't mean you, I mean 343) under delivered massively on this. Bungie went through Arena (forget the execution of that system for a second) almost straight away with a really in depth blowout from someone who knew Halo (Lehy). You've brushed it under the carpet hoping people either wouldn't discuss it, and knowing full well that journalists aren't knowledgeable enough to dig it out of you. It's an afterthought.

aPK

Neo Member
Halo 4 Check List:

Campaign fans - ✓
Firefight fans - ✓
Zombies fans - ✓
BTB Fans - ✓
Forge fans - ✓
Grifball fans- ✓
Completest fans- ✓
Movie/TV fans - ✓
Book fans - ✓
Competitive fans - pending

Halo 4 Check List:

Campaign fans - ✓
Firefight fans - ✓
Zombies fans - ✓
BTB Fans - ✓
Forge fans - ✓
Grifball fans- ✓
Completest fans- ✓
Movie/TV fans - ✓
Book fans - ✓
Cold truth.

Although I know some Firefight fans are anxious about SpOps as a replacement.

Bsigg12

The salt in here right now is crazy. I get that you people want a number next to your name but my god. If it's really going to ruin your Halo experience if its not there, then maybe you should consider moving on from Halo.

Akai__

I don't need a number, I need a system, which is matching me with people around my skill-level and not with people, who aren't even able to walk and shoot simultaeniously.

This is getting ridiculous. I'm slowly moving from an angry face to a super sad face...

Can't tell if srs.

I want to know somebodies skill-based rank before the game starts to see if it will be an even match or not.

How does that change anything though? As soon as you see them in the first 30 seconds you can pretty much tell. In Halo 3, the opponent could have a 5 but they could hae bought it. Only way to know is to fight them.

The salt in here right now is crazy. I get that you people want a number next to your name but my god. If it's really going to ruin your Halo experience if its not there, then maybe you should consider moving on from Halo.
Plenty of people who care about "a number next to [their] name" already have.

aPK

Neo Member

No one is truly hung up on the likely possibility that there is no visible rank.

They are worried about that fact of what it imples: random matching of players.

A game with people of your skill-level inhibits closer and more competitive matches, which drives up the entertainment value and replayability for many.

Would you rather play a game of Connect 4 against an idiot or against someone of your IQ level?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

It's a complicated matter

Some people prefer couch play

Some people prefer "I'm going to crush you and hold your skull as a monument as I inch close to dominating the galaxy with my leet skills and I will join MLG and win the 4v4 tournament as a 1 man team because I AM GOD"

I fall in the latter group

kylej

Banned
Halo 4 Check List:

Campaign fans - ✓
Firefight fans - ✓
Zombies fans - ✓
BTB Fans - ✓
Forge fans - ✓
Grifball fans- ✓
Completest fans- ✓
Movie/TV fans - ✓
Book fans - ✓

Let's hope all these changes capture what they really care about: Call of Duty fans.

Oozer3993

Can't tell if srs.

I want to know somebodies skill-based rank before the game starts to see if it will be an even match or not.

The number is meaningless when it comes to matching players. In Halo 3, the exact same matching algorithm was used whether you were playing ranked or unranked.

Funny that the only good thing I've heard about Halo 4 is the slayer pro playlist, spartan ops and Dominion. Nothing and I mean not else has excited me. And with this news, there probably won't be anything else to get excited about...

First online Halo without ranks, with seemingly less customization options than the previous mainline game and the first Halo with CoD features. What a great time for me to be a Halo fan.

You guys really need a number next to your GT to have fun? :/

It is the best way to have a good match, not only because it will match everyone up by their skill, but because it gives everyone something to play for every time. Once you get to the higher ranks, no one is going to want to quit, and no one is going to be screwing around or betraying.

Moa

How does that change anything though? As soon as you see them in the first 30 seconds you can pretty much tell. In Halo 3, the opponent could have a 5 but they could hae bought it. Only way to know is to fight them.

I honestly don't care if someone bought their rank, if they're a high rank, I'll put my sweat pants on and play as good as I can, if they're bad in-game, I'll chill a bit, that person will be ranked down eventually TrueSkill wise.

I don't care for a damn number next to my name if they actually have a decent algorithm to match me with up with other players of equal skill.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Did you guys seriously expect a ranking system?

Johnny BK doesn't care what his rank is, of course there's not going to be a ranking system. That said, as long as I get fair matches (NOT me and 3 terrible players versus a team of okay players or any other shitty combo) then I'm okay with that.

+

as I said - there is more to say later. Let me be clear about one thing - the game tracks and accounts very rich skill data. Sorry for vagueness but clarity is coming.

=/

Im not the biggest competitive player, nor do I play ranked MM very often.. but if 1-50, the arena or something similar wont be coming back wouldn't it have been better to tell fans a while ago? I understand it probably isn't as simple as that, but Im sure a lot of people are going to be more than a little deflated and feel led on.

Plenty of people who care about "a number next to [their] name" already have.

You seem to ignore Slayer Pro as being an option for competitive players so you can argue that not having visual ranks indicates the "cold truth" about competitive Halo. Can I ask as to why a visual system (note: Not the underlying matchmaking systems that determie how evenly mathed the teams are) takes precedence over the very settings that aren't far from a perfect competitive playlist?

The funny thing is how everybody complaining about the lack of a numerical rank act like it'll have any final effect on their purchase. It'll be an extremely small gesture, but not buying the game would be the best way to show your disapproval for the changes. Buying the game regardless of what's in it accomplishes nothing.

Top Bottom