• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Talents

Banned
Wth? Shitty reviews... "AR is OP"? Source

'and the shield still makes multiplayer combat problematic.'

ComputerSmash.gif

Those guys obviously are biased and prefer CoD over Halo.

His bio on the site said:
Joseph hails from Bury, England, a place famous for black pudding, Robert Peel, the Police force, and inspiring some of Charles Dickens' characters; all the makings of a wild night out. A keen hoarder, Joseph spends much of his spare time and pennies collecting vinyl records and fine books, leaving few moments to actually enjoy these delicacies. Although he always dreamt of playing football for his beloved Leicester City, enthusiasm was unfortunately not meted with talent. Instead, Joseph has somehow ended up at the University of Glasgow studying Classics, where he spends most of his time fraternising with the thoughts of men long dead.

Somewhere between these events Joseph picked up a controller and has never looked back, or up. His first console was a Nintendo 64, brought one Christmas in tandem with his mortal enemy and brother, David. Joseph stumbled upon ******** in 2010 off a recommendation from a good friend. Spotting a vacancy the next year, he threw his hat into the ring and was as surprised as everybody else to be offered an editorial/features role, before moving onto the gamrReview team. His favourite games are Zelda: Ocarina of Time, KOTOR, Banjo-Kazooie, Shadow of the Colossus and Half-Life 2. Probably.
XNhfI.gif

ugh I really hope we don't get any reviews saying halo 4 feels dated because it doesnt have "ADS," or some other bullshit. that IGN video about CS:GO still haunts me.

but...officially 1 month until release!

uZwO3.gif

Xbox360Magazine (UK) "10 Reasons why Halo 4 will Rule the World"

1. UNSC Infinity - wat
2. Regicide and Flood - wat
3. New Weapons - good
4. Fans First - good
5. Tuned Pace - ok
6. Noob Friendly - not the word choice I would have picked....
7. Customization - kewl, don't care personally though
8. It's not Call of Duty - lol
9. It's not all about killing - ok...
10. Singularity - k

ugh I really hope we don't get any reviews saying halo 4 feels dated because it doesnt have "ADS," or some other bullshit. that IGN video about CS:GO still haunts me.

I really hate that about most modern reviewers. Instead of focusing on what the game gives them, and how well it succeeds at delivering what it gives, they put too much focus into what it doesn't have. Some reviews are nothing but comparisons to other games.

Zoolader

So I'm wondering if there are any armor abilities still left unannounced. I remember taking a screen grab of some footage that was shown a few months back, and it looked like the regen field but was instead blue. Maybe the color was all that changed, or maybe we still haven't seen everything.... crosses fingers for bubble shield. (I want them in my customs shut up)

Edit: found the post I was talking about.

57f6bccdead0a8c7eec68b41e53d347583ebb628.jpg

So my ''in depth'' (won't be much because I only played 1 game :p) write up of the day and the game (first part will be a description of the day, second part about the match I played:

After some trouble with the trains, I arrived 1 hour too late in Utrecht. After standing in line for half an our, I finally got to the convention floor. Over texted me that he was standing in line already at the Halo 4 boot. After I found him, I joined him in line (and cut in front of some other people :p). While we were standing in line, a pretty women came over to everyone and started handing out these papers with '':('' and '':)'' on them. Nobody knew what they were for but I did noticed only one guy with a smiley face.

After about 20 minutes, we finally entered the boot. As soon as we entered, we saw that something was off. About 20 people were allowed in at a time, while there were only 8 Xboxes to play on. Apperently, 4 guys had received a smiley face card and were able to playt the game. We didn't know were the other 3 guys came from. In front of us were 20 seats and a big screen. We were instructed to sit down and watch a video made by 343. In the video, Kiki said ''Helllo Utrecht'' and pretty much gave us a summary of everything me and Over already knew. During the video, I asked one of the guys who was sitting at an Xbox if he knew whether we were allowed to play or not. He didn't know.

After the video was done, we had the opportunity to watch a multiplayer match of regicide on Longbow. On the big screen, you could see the perspective of one of the guys who was playing. He was horrible. He chose the AR as primary weapon, didn't watch his radar at all and rarely got a kill. The match lasted for 6 painful minutes and I was kinda relieved that it was over :lol

Me and Over still has some hopes that after watching the match, we were able to play some ourselves but the lady kinda apologized, gave us our avatar award and mega blocks figure and sent us out. Really frustrated, we asked ourselves what to do next. Then we saw a paper at the other side of the boot that read VIP entrance. We walked over and saw another line with people waiting, all with VIP bracelets (When you bought a ticket for First look, you could choose to either buy a regular ticket or pay 9 euros extra and get a VIP ticket). Neither me or Over had a VIP ticket but we tried anyway. We covered up our regular ticket bracelet and stepped into the line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After waiting for about an hour, a lady from the boot came and said they needed one more player. After nobody really responded, over said he wanted to play. After he came back and joined me again in the line, we waited for about half an hour until I was asked to enter the boot and play the game.

During the video with Kiki, I was able to make my loadout. I chose to make to:
Primary: BR
Secondary Carbine
AA: Thruster
Modifications: Fire power and dexterity

Primary: Light rifle
Secondary: Boltshot
AA: Regen field
Modifications: Shielding and dexterity

So after the video ended the match started. When I spawned, I immediately tried to jump up a high rock, to my surprise, I was actually able to make the jump. Something that definitely wouldn't have worked in Reach. Then, I found my first enemy. He was easily out BR'ed and it felt pretty good to do it (though I missed the 4-shot BR from 3 already). Rockets were close by so I obviously, I picked them up. Good timing because a ghost was coming for me. I predicted the route the ghost would take and fired my rocket, killing the ghost. Suddenly, I heard the crowd watching scream ''ooooohhhhh''. Apparently, I killed the guy who was on the big screen. After killing some people and dying a few times, I found the sniper. I didn't get a good feel of it but it felt easier to use than the Reach sniper (For the record, I think the Halo 3 sniper is easier to use than Reach's) and I got 2 nice headshots. After dying again, I decided I wanted to use the light rifle and regen field for a while so switched my loadout. The light rifle felt a lot harder to use than the BR. Maybe because of the slower rate of fire but I didn't like it that much. I got some kills with it when I suddenly got an overshield. Apparently, I had been the king for a while. The overshield was a nice help since everyone was converting on me. When I died again, I decided I would switch back to the BR/Carbine again. Nothing else really significant happened that match and I barely won the game by 5 points, which I thought was pretty weird since I had been the king for the majority of the time.

So here are a few things I noticed:
-When you stand in the regen field, you're vision blurs which makes it more difficult to shoot. In the match I played, it was pretty useless and I only really used it accidentally because I'm used to press X to sprint. I can see it being more useful (And possibly abuseable) on smaller maps with more cover.
-The Carbine was pretty useless when you tried to fire at longer ranges. I didn't hit a ting while my reticule was on target (Though not red) Still, I thought it would be a bit more accurate.
-BR felt like the best weapon to use for me. I didn't use the DMR though so maybe I'll like that one more. It felt the easiest one to use.
-The light rifle was a weird thing. I felt like I had less aim assist when I used it. I could barely finish my kills in time. Didn't really like it but I'll try to use it again when the game is out.
-I didn't ever notice an indicator of a global weapon drop. Weapons would just drop in without any real warning. Maybe I just didn't noticed but Over also noticed the same thing.
-I didn't like how the frags behaved. Longbow is a snowy map so the grenades don't bounce when they hit the snow but the arc felt really of. It felt like I was to throw them really high to get 'm on the right spot.

So that is my write up of my day. I'd say I like the movement and pacing of the game. I'm still worried about global ordnance drops and the possible abusive AA's/Modifications.

L1NETT

Nice write up Robbert, interesting little bit of the Regen field there.

One thing, *booth. We finally entered the boot sounds very wrong ;-)

I have a feeling the global ordnance drop thing may be changed soon after launch. I think it's a dumb system that nobody who has played it has spoken positively of(at least that I've read or seen) and it's something that can easily be fixed by just placing weapons on the maps.

Amazing.

And true.
Yeah... not gonna happen.

One of the best games we've seen so far was this one - a 29-0 run. (I SERIOUSLY doubt there are more than a handful of GAFfers that can say they've EVER had a game that good - and NONE that have had MULTIPLE games that good.)

That guy got 4 drops.

5 is pretty much out of the question. Even 3 is non-trivial. Most of us will see one or two.

Yeah, this might change in BTB some, but in a game to 50, most people will get one ordnance drop, and the top performers will get 2.

TheOddOne

I have a feeling the global ordnance drop thing may be changed soon after launch. I think it's a dumb system that nobody who has played it has spoken positively of(at least that I've read or seen) and it's something that can easily be fixed by just placing weapons on the maps.
Most people have been indifferent about it so far. Very few people found it really bad or good.

feel

Speedy and rational matchmaking changes on 343i's watch?

iVL7jq3WJcdhd.gif

Better hope that shit is flawless from the get go.

Realistically, there isn't really enough in the way of improvement or refinement to justify this as a new addition to the series from a multiplayer perspective; there is barely evolution here, let alone revolution. Yet, this may be a welcome relief to fans who have grown to love the signature multiplayer experience and who simply want more of the same. Judging by the fleeting glimpse offered at the heaving Eurogamer stand, this is exactly what they will be getting.

I feel like I need to take my eyeballs out and wash them. Did I just read that?

Swarmerr

I wish the article was longer, the insights are facinating.

Dude has no idea what he is talking about or is trolling uber hard. (the guy that wrote the article that is)

edit: "and the shield still makes multiplayer combat problematic" Someone PLEASE tell me he is talking about hardlight shield, PLEASE, he can't be talking about the spartan's normal shield.. Right?!

Falifax

Dude has no idea what he is talking about or is trolling uber hard. (the guy that wrote the article that is)

Some parts are really cringe worthy.

The balance is still a major problem, with the assault rifle in particular feeling overpowered, and the shield still makes multiplayer combat problematic.

Still, if you love Halo then you will love this.

What kind of statement is that?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Some parts are really cringe worthy.

What kind of statement is that?

He must have played with really bad players, got a few kills with the AR and decided it was OP.

He also sounds like a COD player complaining about other player who he shoots but doesn't kill and when he next sees them he expects their health to be low because he shot them previously instead he didn't even lower their shields and they came back at him when they fully charged and thus he feels robbed of a kill because of the recharging shield mechanic.

Seems like he never got over Halo 1's shields and he's been holding a grudge for the past decade.

It's easy to point fingers at IGN and cry "LOL Journalism" but it's pathetic attempts such as this that really do make for terrible examples.

Havok

http://www.twitch.tv/arenagamingleague tells me that the Halo 2 tournament is next up.
It's just something that they'll have to heavily moderate, the same way they'd ideally do with fixed spawns, just with more variables. If they commit to quickly addressing issues that pop up, then it should hopefully work itself out. I hope (but don't think it's the case) that very pivotal weapons would be fixed, while the sort of second-tier weapons stay on rotation (something like the SAW or Sticky Detonator could fall into this category).

Swarmerr

It was because the tourney is pre-patch right?

Wait the tourney is prepatch??

It's patched.

Phew, I have played prepatch halo 2 at friend's houses and between the br inconsistency and 8000 melees it takes to kill someone it would of not been as good.

Idk about you guys but I am looking forward to watching halo be played on good maps, let us just say it has been far too long.

http://www.twitch.tv/arenagamingleague

TheOddOne

It's easy to point fingers at IGN and cry "LOL Journalism" but it's pathetic attempts such as this that really do make for terrible examples.
"These" sites usually exist because they get review copies of games by publishers. That is the only goal of the people behind the website, the content of their website is an after thought. What content that does show up isn't better then some forum reply. A shame indeed.

How was First look as an event in general? Did you guys manage to get decent hands on time with other games? If not I would honestly complain lol - did Over go Hulk mode like Elzar predicted and trash the place?

Thanks for the impressions btw, seems like we came to pretty similar conclusions - except I doubt regen would even be useful on smaller maps.

I'm about to get on for some Reach or Murder Miners. Bobs, Unknown, Perfection and anybody else want any maps?

hey will hop on now!

So every Halo game since Halo 2 has been leaked fairly early by some rogue country. Let's place our bets:

I'm going to bet that it gets leaked 2 and a half weeks early via the dutch.

CyReN

Heads up there is a Xbox 360 Magazine (UK) scan leak out there now, DO NOT read if you don't want the campaign spoiled.

How was First look as an event in general? Did you guys manage to get decent hands on time with other games? If not I would honestly complain lol - did Over go Hulk mode like Elzar predicted and trash the place?

Thanks for the impressions btw, seems like we came to pretty similar conclusions - except I doubt regen would even be useful on smaller maps.

First look was kinda small. When you're used to Gamescom which has around 6 halls, 1 hall seems a little small. There weren't that many games, but the games that were there were pretty big ones: Halo 4 (of course), Black Ops 2, Assassins's Creed 3, Farcry 3, Hitman absolution and the WiiU was there too.

We also got to play Farcry 3. The game looked good but the setup was terrible. You had a wireless controller that was attached to a metal cord (it stung in my finger :lol). No audio and the framerate wasn't that good either.

I'll post some pics (one of these may or may not contain a well known HaloGaffer) of the event later.

Top Bottom