• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I don't know about H2 anniversary but 343 clearly couldn't go wrong with a "Classics" map pack. It would sell really well.

It's just a question of figuring out what maps would still play well with Halo 4's sandbox.

I'm really hoping for a Terminal remake at some point.

If they are to do a classics pack they should farm it out to Certain Affinity or something because in order for it to be a good classics pack it would have to be well over 25 maps and that would be crazy. There are just too many good maps between H1, H2, and H3.

Also, anyone want to play some Reach?

zap

I'm enjoying TTW so far, about 230 pages in. I feel like it's a lot more interesting than Glasslands, but I want more about Halsey and the other Spartans (Fred and co).

Hey all.

I know I'm just a no-name junior who never posts (unless I see a chance to talk about music), but I made a remix for the contest and submitted it.

Here it is!

I'm definitely a composer and not a producer. But I'd appreciate some of you checking it out and maybe giving it some soundcloud lovin' for the contest. I hope y'all like it!

PS: Soundcloud compression makes me sad when listening to the high frequencies =/

PPS: Warning, contains minor wubs.

Thursday War is pretty one-sided. It had so much potential...

It's true.

Don't read unless you've finished the book:

I honestly feel like Thursday War was pointless. Nothing really happened. Kilo 5, on Venezia, leaves right away, rescues Phillips...and does nothing. They return to Venezia and they're in the same spot they were in before, just with a slightly different lineup. Then you've got Phillips himself, who finds glyphs? If they can somehow incorporate him finding those into finding the Chief, okay, that's cool with me. But if that doesn't happen, I'm going to laugh so hard because all of his chapters were literally pointless.

Jul's little journey was meaningful, especially if he forms the splinter Covenant faction we encounter in Halo 4 like its eluded to. The civil war stuff didn't mean much because as soon as it started to actually happen, Hood comes in and stops them with the infinity. That's cool, I guess.

I'm a defender of Glasslands, a defender of Traviss(loved her star wars and gears of war books), but this one just sucked. Meh.

I'm enjoying TTW so far, about 230 pages in. I feel like it's a lot more interesting than Glasslands, but I want more about Halsey and the other Spartans (Fred and co).

Don't hold your breath. Sorry.

BravoHalo

Arena Gaming event had some awesome finals once again. Can only imagine what would've happened if the game started with no bloom / no sprint.

Also, made a video today speculating which control setting might be the most popular / advantageous - older gameplay, but i cover a few things I've wanted to for a while about a few of the control schemes - http://youtu.be/hcWrRhctQGA (hadn't seen it posted yet, sorry it has been)

Thanks for that Frank interview link Hypertrooper, watching now and pretty good thusfar.

Zoolader

If they are to do a classics pack they should farm it out to Certain Affinity or something because in order for it to be a good classics pack it would have to be well over 25 maps and that would be crazy. There are just too many good maps between H1, H2, and H3.

Also, anyone want to play some Reach?
I'd pay any amount for a classics map pack!!!! You hear me 343 and Microsoft!!??

Still playing Reach? SMH

FyreWulff

Thought I'd throw this together since I'm discussing it elsewhere. This is how much Halo 4's forge lighting improves the experience, appearance, and player orientation on a 100% Forge map (assuming it'd literally be all gray again)

Without lighting and the probes and objects casting shadows and lightmapping each other

nn5gp.png

With the probes and the lightmaps and the casting of the shadows

Psv5k.png

Someone pick a Forge map screenshot that they they feel has this problem and I'll apply a fake lightmap over it so you can see the difference.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I'm starting to like Karen Traviss. I'm halfway through my second reading of Glasslands, and I'm diggin' it. I used to feel like she was a step down from Nylund, but not now. I can't really articulate why, but it's definitely how I'm feeling.

It's true.

Don't read unless you've finished the book:

I honestly feel like Thursday War was pointless. Nothing really happened. Kilo 5, on Venezia, leaves right away, rescues Phillips...and does nothing. They return to Venezia and they're in the same spot they were in before, just with a slightly different lineup. Then you've got Phillips himself, who finds glyphs? If they can somehow incorporate him finding those into finding the Chief, okay, that's cool with me. But if that doesn't happen, I'm going to laugh so hard because all of his chapters were literally pointless.

Jul's little journey was meaningful, especially if he forms the splinter Covenant faction we encounter in Halo 4 like its eluded to. The civil war stuff didn't mean much because as soon as it started to actually happen, Hood comes in and stops them with the infinity. That's cool, I guess.

I'm a defender of Glasslands, a defender of Traviss(loved her star wars and gears of war books), but this one just sucked. Meh.
It did not suck imo.
But the whole story was told only by a few perspective. What is Lord Hood thinking about Parangosky's doing? What does the Arbiter think about the human's action or the civil war? etc.
I should do a bigger write up tomorrow.

Ken

Thought I'd throw this together since I'm discussing it elsewhere. This is how much Halo 4's forge lighting improves the experience, appearance, and player orientation on a 100% Forge map (assuming it'd literally be all gray again)

Without lighting and the probes and objects casting shadows and lightmapping each other

Someone pick a Forge map screenshot that they they feel has this problem and I'll apply a fake lightmap over it so you can see the difference.

I'd play that map.

willow ve

Hey all.

I know I'm just a no-name junior who never posts (unless I see a chance to talk about music), but I made a remix for the contest and submitted it.

Here it is!

I'm definitely a composer and not a producer. But I'd appreciate some of you checking it out and maybe giving it some soundcloud lovin' for the contest. I hope y'all like it!

PS: Soundcloud compression makes me sad when listening to the high frequencies =/

PPS: Warning, contains minor wubs.

Nice work

I just cannot fathom how anyone could like anything written by Karen Traviss. Human Weakness was the only remotely good piece of Halo writing she has put out.

It did not suck imo.
But the whole story was told only by a few perspective. What is Lord Hood thinking about Parangosky's doing? What does the Arbiter think about the human's action or the civil war? etc.

This is true. She did only what, four or five perspectives throughout the whole book? That's pretty low compared to most other books. And yeah I'd be interested in your write up, if you get around to it.

I just cannot fathom how anyone could like anything written by Karen Traviss. Human Weakness was the only remotely good piece of Halo writing she has put out.

Her star wars books were good, IMO. The gears of war books by her are decent. I've read the first three. That universe is just not that great though, I think.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone can tear themselves away from Dani's pixelated nudes, zap and I are going to be playing some Halo 3 in a few minutes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm impressed your mind can decipher such a thing from so little information.

I see lots of tiny squares.

it also appears there is some vehicle flying through the air. likely.

and the trick is to zoom out as far as you can to let your brain fill in the missing gaps of data

Fuchsdh

It did not suck imo.

Pretty much this. The Thursday War IMO has too many plates spinning. It's telling a lot of stories, but I'm concerned each one won't get their proper payoffs (or won't get payoffs without compromising the others.) The action in Thursday War was very myopic. That's not necessarily bad, especially since the characters were far better articulated than in Glasslands (where Kilo-5 was really just a collection of names, an AI and two Spartans too me), but it does concern me that was won't get enough time with Hood and Arby.

Really happy about how the Storm is getting developed into the baddies we see in Halo 4, although since it's revolved around Jul apparently I'm not sure why they spent so much time with Telcam. And Black Box is fast becoming I think the best expanded universe character.

Karl2177

nn5gp.png

Psv5k.png

No matter how many shadows you throw on Uncaged, it's still shit.

Top Bottom