• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

My story about joining Gaf isn't too great. I used to frequent the Gametrailers forums which had Factions at the time. I was one of the regulars in the Master Chief Faction as well as our very own Kibbles. Kibbles was already a part of Gaf so I think he mentioned it at some point and said it was a lot better than GT, so I went to check Gaf out, particularly the Halo 3 thread. Soon after that I registered and like 2 weeks later I was accepted.

I got accepted during the downfall of the Halo 3 thread, which was a very interesting time to have joined lol.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So Thursday War.....Is there an Audio book or what? I can't find it anywhere.

DeadNames

Banned
Speculation on why there are no Brutes in 4. TTW SPOILERS:

So I'm at the beginning, were someone blows up the temple. Then the Elites blame the Brutes. Could this start a war between the Elites and Brutes?

TheOddOne

My story about joining Gaf isn't too great. I used to frequent the Gametrailers forums which had Factions at the time. I was one of the regulars in the Master Chief Faction as well as our very own Kibbles. Kibbles was already a part of Gaf so I think he mentioned it at some point and said it was a lot better than GT, so I went to check Gaf out, particularly the Halo 3 thread. Soon after that I registered and like 2 weeks later I was accepted.

I got accepted during the downfall of the Halo 3 thread, which was a very interesting time to have joined lol.
GT forums were really a cesspool of stupid. Glad you didn't loose your sanity.

So due to procrastinating, I finally checked out some of the newer Red vs Blue stuff - I dont know whats going on with the story but watching Monty Oum do his thing with the Halo universe is magic. Cant wait what they think up for the Halo 4 sandbox.

I just want any excuse for like a show which just has a bunch of Spartan action going on.

So due to procrastinating, I finally checked out some of the newer Red vs Blue stuff - I dont know whats going on with the story but watching Monty Oum do his thing with the Halo universe is magic. Cant wait what they think up for the Halo 4 sandbox.

I just want any excuse for like a show which just has a bunch of Spartan action going on.

You watched some red v blue?

THANKS FOR WAITING FOR ME BOBS!

Louis Wu

Is there a way to figure out your first post ever? I'm pretty sure it was in Halo-GAF 5 years ago...

The search only goes back through 20 pages of posts.

It would be fun to see it again...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=33938
Probably too late, but...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11232344&postcount=52450

(Searched Google for 'DancingJesus neogaf.com 2008', got a couple of relevant hits. Took the oldest thread, searched it for DancingJesus posts (there were 7 pages of 'em :) ), went to the last page. Since the post starts with "Ah, my first NeoGAF post", I figured I could stop. :) )

You watched some red v blue?

THANKS FOR WAITING FOR ME BOBS!
I knew I liked you for a reason Elzar.

You should catch up on the show. All of the seasons are online.

I watch a lot of the stuff RT does; all of their series, the podcast, and some achievement hunter stuff. Their "Let's Play Minecraft" series has been pretty funny.

"Usually ships within 1 to 2 months."

Seriously? That is crazy. Thanks.

I'd try to ask Frankie. I would venture a guess that the audiobook isn't actually out yet.

I would like to think it's our shared viewpoints on the Tax system.

I would like to discuss capital gains with you one day.

I can hear Over groaning right now.
Tax and economic policy discussion over Halo 4? Sounds good to me.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
There are those that said that this day would never come. What are they to say now?

For those folks that have remembered, I'm just a little bit late with this article. Triumvirate – Reflections, the third and final article in Forward Unto Dawn's examination of Halo: Reach's datapads.

Feel free to catch up past entries (if time has erased them from your memory or you've yet to read to read them!) in our Datapad hub.

I think it's safe to say you'll never have to wait this long for a concluding part for any of our article series again. :)

Fuchsdh

It'd have been nice from them to tell us the specifics about SpOps netcode improvements... I guess we're begging for too much.

Well, not even Bungie was particularly great about that. We only really heard about networking stuff when they posted transcripts of GDC talks or similar (the only outlier I can think of was when Luke took to a BWU to talk about the changes from Halo 2 to Halo 3's BR.)

Akai__

I'm playing Halo Reach right now in the Team Doubles playlist on Countdown. Enemies are both Jetpacking and hiding, like really hiding.

Welcome to Reach!

Edit: 15 minutes of searching and we got 2 kills and they got 1. Starting to play in the last 30 seconds.

There are those that said that this day would never come. What are they to say now?

For those folks that have remembered, I'm just a little bit late with this article. Triumvirate – Reflections, the third and final article in Forward Unto Dawn's examination of Halo: Reach's datapads.

Feel free to catch up past entries (if time has erased them from your memory or you've yet to read to read them!) in our Datapad hub.

I think it's safe to say you'll never have to wait this long for a concluding part for any of our article series again. :)
Interesting...I'm reading it now. I'm still mad about how poorly the data pads were implemented in Reach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Interesting...I'm reading it now. I'm still mad about how poorly the data pads were implemented in Reach.

I'm afraid that, considering how much disruption that they have in terms of a significant amount of Halo's established fiction, the Datpads will either be retconned to hell and back or just quietly never spoken of ever again.

I actually don't like the metanarrative bits in either 3, Reach or CEA. Sadie's Story was the best of the bunch just by the fact that it actually was a cohesive story and I found the ODST terminals more appropriate just on the fact that looking back at these recordings from the city's AI less ridiculous than anything else.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I actually don't like the metanarrative bits in either 3, Reach or CEA. Sadie's Story was the best of the bunch just by the fact that it actually was a cohesive story and I found the ODST terminals more appropriate just on the fact that looking back at these recordings from the city's AI less ridiculous than anything else.

I have to agree with you. Sadie's Story in ODST was really rewarding, the extra effort that went into how the story was told, the production values and voice acting and just the actual narrative itself, was incredibly rewarding.

Makes me anxious to see how Halo 4's Terminals are presented.

Fuchsdh

I definitely think that reading Dani's articles made me appreciate the datapads more, but there's no getting over the fact that it's a horrible revision of Halo's story (even more so than Reach itself)--AIs controlling everything, and oh yeah the Covenant never actually glassed anything?

On the plus side, you can ignore it as the ramblings of a crazy person anyhow, so maybe it was just some guy leaving around his fan fiction on Reach :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Is there anything we should know about terminals before we play Halo 4? Like, what exactly they are, how do we find them, are they relevant to Halo 4's story?

I've never found one. I don't even know what they look like

Woorloog

Banned
I definitely think that reading Dani's articles made me appreciate the datapads more, but there's no getting over the fact that it's a horrible revision of Halo's story (even more so than Reach itself)--AIs controlling everything, and oh yeah the Covenant never actually glassed anything?

On the plus side, you can ignore it as the ramblings of a crazy person anyhow, so maybe it was just some guy leaving around his fan fiction on Reach :)

I don't mind the Covies never glassing anything properly, merely glassing major and minor cities would be incredible destruction and the planet could be called glassed afterwards.
And anti-alien propaganda, exaggerating the destruction is a good propaganda move.
But the rest? Screw that.

I'm afraid that, considering how much disruption that they have in terms of a significant amount of Halo's established fiction, the Datpads will either be retconned to hell and back or just quietly never spoken of ever again.

Halo 3 at least acknowledged their existence via achievement and both CEA and ODST let you watch/listen to them all from a menu after you have found them.

Reach on the other hand implemented the data pads worse than the skulls in H2.

Brass band arrangements of Tetris, Pokemon and Gerudo Valley.

0068_dbrc.gif

So good. Not to mention the Mario end credits theme. :lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Is there anything we should know about terminals before we play Halo 4? Like, what exactly they are, how do we find them, are they relevant to Halo 4's story?

No.
They should be additional, non-essential supplements to the campaign story.
You'll need to look for them very carefully, usually out of sight from regular gameplay.
They are as relevant as you want them to be, considering their non-essential nature. Story fans will of course eat that shit up.

This is just so awesome to me. I played in my high school marching band all 4 years, and I loved it, and we couldn't have dreamt of doing anything like this. The games they selected to highlight are all games I've played extensively throughout my life. Ms. Pac-Man on the C64, Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, the Legend of Zelda games, and Halo. I have come to regard Halo as having a classic formula and unique charm like these games, and I'm quite pleased that such a talented director seems to agree.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't mind the Covies never glassing anything properly, merely glassing major and minor cities would be incredible destruction and the planet could be called glassed afterwards.
And anti-alien propaganda, exaggerating the destruction is a good propaganda move.
But the rest? Screw that.

Yeah for sure, I could buy the glassing, like you said.

However the AI Minds starting the Human Covenant War? Sidestepping, blinding and directing ONI?

No, I just don't buy it.

Barlow said:
Reach on the other hand implemented the data pads worse than the skulls in H2.

It felt like a last minute addition. After Sadie's Story in a side game, I was expecting a main Halo title to do something substantially better than the Datapads.

feel

Cover of the most important videogame magazine in Spain:
Wow Hobby Consolas still exists?

I used to read it every month when I was a kid back in Portugal (instead of reading Portuguese vg magazines), it was very thick and awesome.

Nooby question: Is there a reason behind how many days it takes depending on admins and registers? After submitting my registration it took 3 days until being accepted into NeoGAF.

m23

That's acceptable for the first one. Gotta let people know what they're lookin for right?

Yeah, I guess. I loved the terminals in Anniversary, I think they were nicely hidden, not too tough and not too easy. I think 343 will do well in regards to placing them in appropriate spots.

I really hope the terminals will focus on the forerunner backstory considering the game takes place on Requiem. I loved Cryptum and Primordium so seeing more on that has me excited.

Shake Appeal's article on ODST is amazing.

Just added it to my reading list. Does it talk about how the audio logs all include the various sins described in Inferno? I wrote a paper for school once about the parallels between Halo and Christianity for school once.

Yeah, I guess. I loved the terminals in Anniversary, I think they were nicely hidden, not too tough and not too easy. I think 343 will do well in regards to placing them in appropriate spots.

I really hope the terminals will focus on the forerunner backstory considering the game takes place on Requiem. I loved Cryptum and Primordium so seeing more on that has me excited.
I'm partial to the terminals in Halo 3. They were all off the beaten path a ways tucked into areas that were built for the terminals.

Top Bottom