• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

feel

T6SBI.png

do not want (in the main playlists)
I get a boner thinking of all the jetpackers jumping from column to column while they ping you at leisure from far with their DMRs, to then drop down into cover when you get 3 shots on them.

Started my ODST playthrough today. I forgot how every battle seems so much more difficult than the other games. And I don't understand how the health works.

Cow

As someone who has never been interested in forge before, I have to say Halo 4 has me excited to make something... aligning blocks has put me off in the past but this lock thing looks like it could all become a bit easier.

Also, I'm new here, I have played halo since Halo 2 and I prefer competitive play but also enjoy messing around and doing stupid stuff, my favourite Halo is Halo 3 but that all might be about to change with Halo 4 looking crisp. Nice to meet you! ;)

Have they fixed the Gimbal lock problem?

To quote my self and explain: As far as I can tell, the Halo Reach forge uses "Euler angles" to represent the orientation of an object. i.e. Yaw-Pitch-Roll. This is subject to "Gimbal lock" which is when two axis become oriented in the same manner. Difficult to explain, so:
gimbal_examples.jpg

This is almost definitely the reason that rotation snap sometimes breaks, when 45 degree snap becomes 90 or even 180.

This could easily be amended by representing the orientation using "Quaternions" which is four numbers, correlating to an axis (x,y,z) in which the object 'points', and a third value representing the rotation about that axis. Quaternions can be "SLERPd", :)lol) which means that rotation is always smooth, in any angular direction.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Since when did Hanes V-Neck tees become such a hot commodity? Just paid 10$ for a pack of 3? lolwut. I could have sworn they were like 6$ last year. Fuck you Hanes for making such comfy shirts.

Fracas

#fuckonami
There's no way Forge doesn't let you adjust the color of pieces.

It's literally the biggest complaint about Reach's. Makes no sense if you can't.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I am elated over this. I hope it stays this way. If I never played another Forge map again I'd be even more happy.
Especially with nine DLC maps already confirmed.

You know, assuming we'll actually be able to play the DLC maps.

Edit : And, you know, I'm actually okay with Forge maps in matchmaking. As long as there's VERY few of them, and they play well.

My brain is dumb:

"Aww, damn. I'm gonna be out of town when the new Forward Unto Dawn episode comes out on Friday. :("

Half a second later:

"What the hell is wrong with me? I'll be able to watch it with other HaloGaffers in New York!"

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm okay with Forge maps having their own playlist

I'd bet 3 Spartan Points that any "classic" playlists will feature all Forge maps, as the shipping maps are larger to accommodate for sprint (which wouldn't be in a classic playlist).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about how good ramen sounds right now.

Then Heckfu ruined my appetite. :lol

BravoHalo

Warm Machine has inspired me. It's late (and dark) and I don't have any good macro lenses, but here's a go at a few different shots with my Blue Spartan ft. pre-update Halo 2 dual magnums - he's the only guy I got, and I love him.

:)

IHaveIce

Banned
Warm Machine has inspired me. It's late (and dark) and I don't have any good macro lenses, but here's a go at a few different shots with my Blue Spartan ft. pre-update Halo 2 dual magnums - he's the only guy I got, and I love him.

:)

Blue Spartan getting dat giant stone chick.

Nice shots.

sp3000

They pale in comparison to maps made by people with professional toolsets and the paychecks to provide incentive. Forge maps only serve to clutter the map pool and provide some variety when one wants to dick around with 200% gravity and other miscellaneous settings. Forge maps ruined my Halo: Reach matchmaking experience and I never ever want that to happen again with another Halo game.

I will not be buying Halo 4 if Forge maps show up in multiplayer. Simple as that. They have made Reach so bad to the point where buying DLC has become useless since it never actually shows up in the playlists.

DeadNames

Banned
I will not be buying Halo 4 if Forge maps show up in multiplayer. Simple as that. They have made Reach so bad to the point where buying DLC has become useless since it never actually shows up in the playlists.

... Really?

That can easily be fixed by better DLC implementation.

BravoHalo

He is so CUTE!

:) thanks. I've got a big (6" tall) active camo spartan that I found on clearance at a department store a few days ago (for only $5!!) - I'm gonna try and shoot some cool stuff with him during the day tomorrow before heading off to NYCC, could have some cool lighting effects with the blue/clear plastic.

They pale in comparison to maps made by people with professional toolsets and the paychecks to provide incentive. Forge maps only serve to clutter the map pool and provide some variety when one wants to dick around with 200% gravity and other miscellaneous settings. Forge maps ruined my Halo: Reach matchmaking experience and I never ever want that to happen again with another Halo game.

Doesn't seem very fair because of what Reach did.. Was I the only one who thought that map actually looked fun? It looked like a possibly great 4v4 arena map many people have been asking for, so what's the problem if THAT was the ONLY Forge map in that environment in matchmaking?

I just don't think it should be written off because of how shitty Bungie was since day one with Forge maps in Reach.

Top Bottom