• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

There's a happy gif for this somewhere, but I don't know where.

Excited_basketball_fan.gif

EvB

Hmm, I don't know if I can pass up an opportunity to berate the people responsible for not creating a flat, clean space to forge on.

not really

well, maybe a little

They already have one the same size as the space in Halo 3 forge in the form of the Griffball court?

Also there are big voids in space on Impact and Erosion specifically to build larger forge maps inside. Build a grid and place a giant flat piece of metal, just like the current forge!

I believe you're exactly right: Preorder codes unlock a version of the armor with the skin applied, just like in Reach. There's no skin selector or anything for each armor piece, they're actually just separate pieces. So the amazon code would unlock CIO (WEB), but not the default CIO.

Glad you agree. Most people around these parts seem to think that it only unlocks a skin. Which would be pretty lame, and I don't even know how that would work.

And I think CIO looks awesome.

Marina_kiss.gif for both of you

Bobs: IDK, I would agree with you, but someone on HBO is probably not the average consumer :/

I would say he is, again dont want to talk for him, so for me personally I didnt like Reach - I really needed 343 to pull through and show me 'good' Halo gameplay.

For the longest time all I saw was AA's, bloom making a return, CoD copy and pastes and a bungled general ability to convey any information to me that didnt make the game sound awful. I mean 90% of the people in this thread are still in the position where that's all they are getting information wise. Why do you think its always so negative in here? People are not just hating for the fun of it - the game sounds terrible on paper.

Difference between me and him is I got to play the game and he hasn't. I know that while things sound bad on paper when you have a controller in your hands they are fantastic.

No one has managed to put together a single video to convince him of that. The Ubisoft guy's have put together multiple videos showing how good AC3 is - its pretty easy to see which game he would pick and why.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Am I right in thinking thats what you meant? Design choices + how those design choices are communicated is one and the same - if you make good design choices - but then communicate them badly. You mightaswell have made the bad design choices from the beginning as far as marketing is concerned.

For me - I played the game - I know the design choices are amazing. I know they are being communicated badly.

Most people can only assume that the communication is correct and the design choices are bad. Does that make sense?

Saw your edit - as a fan on a forum - I felt like the game was going down the 'lets rip off CoD route' which very nearly turned me off on the game - god knows I bitched enough about it before actually getting hands on time with it. I honestly dont know if I would have been day 1 considering how 'bad' the game sounds until you play it.
I dunno. That makes more sense, but I still feel like someone on a Halo forum should be able to see past the "343 is turning Halo into COD" hyperbole and realize that the design influences are much more complex than that. I also feel that someone on a Halo forum should have enough official and fan impressions to make an educated decision about their purchase. So, hearing about that guy from HBO maybe skipping the game because of bad marketing just seems absurd to me.

No harm in asking what their thought process was in not doing it.

They are pretty cool guys. Especially Max.

Please ask them why the category object limit is still in.
I would like to ask them some decent questions about what their thought processes are/were in terms of keeping with an extremely similar version of Forge.

They already have one the same size as the space in Halo 3 forge in the form of the Griffball court?

Also there are big voids in space on Impact and Erosion specifically to build larger forge maps inside. Build a grid and place a giant flat piece of metal, just like the current forge!
It's not nearly as simple as that. Sure, you can waste budget on a big, monochromatic floor. If this new version is so similar to Reach, the same problems might be there as well. Using walls as flooring causes them to tip up in one direction after you save, so it's a complete pain in the ass to just set a big floor. And as I mentioned, having a big bland floor doesn't to much for the looks of the map. We'll see, I guess.

Picked up Glasslands and Evolutions after work today.

About to see whether the Traviss hate is exaggerated.

I finished Glasslands and I'm about a forth of the way through The Thursday War.
The Traviss Halsey hatred does exist, but I don't think it is unwarranted. It fits within the context of the story. It's become a bit of a meme at this point.

blamite

Glad you agree. Most people around these parts seem to think that it only unlocks a skin. Which would be pretty lame, and I don't even know how that would work.

And I think CIO looks awesome.

Eh, personally, as far as pre-order armor goes, CIO is my least favorite of the bunch. That nose-scope is just too ridiculous looking for me. Venator is easily my favorite, followed by Gungnir and Oceanic.

I dunno. That makes more sense, but I still feel like someone on a Halo forum should be able to see past the "343 is turning Halo into COD" hyperbole and realize that the design influences are much more complex than that. I also feel that someone on a Halo forum should have enough official and fan impressions to make an educated decision about their purchase. So, hearing about that guy from HBO maybe skipping the game because of bad marketing just seems absurd to me.

Its not hyperbole though - just from reading the information 343 has put out its hard not to see the obvious CoD comparisons. I mean even the recent vidoc had me cringing at a lot of the explanations for things - will rewatch and post choice quotes tomorrow if you want. 343 have done a terrible job at making the kinds of video's that even brings Halo fans on board - especially the Halo fans that are reeling after Reach.

I hope you have no hard feeling about me jumping the gun on you bobs99. It was in the sake of discussion :)

Of course I dont! I would call it discussion and debate rather than jumping the gun - dont worry about it man! I just want to make it clear that I dont want to step on others toes with my posts either - just throwing down my opinion on why I feel the game has not reached its potential - at least in terms of marketing.

Conor 419

Banned
The marketing campaign seems remarkably sedate compared to Halo 2, 3, reach, and even ODST at this point. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Yeah, that's how I feel, the sense of importance just isn't there. Doesn't seem to be that much general fan excitement either, with Halo 3 we had videos like 'Halo Nights' driving up the hype. I really do think the story needs to be exceptional for the series to propser next gen, I think a lot of Halo 3's success can be attributed to the way Halo 2 set it up.

How do we think the game will review? It's a controversial topic, but an important one nonetheless.

Pop

So I just find out Microsoft caps internet speeds through XBL.(Mock me if this is known)

Apparently you can run a speed test through Internet Explorer on XBL. My speeds are chopped down almost to nothing.

because it is really good and just got dlc

I can imagine, haven't played it yet.

What I mean is, did you know updating your online game brings players back. Its proven with science! Reach has no updates... SAD FACE.

Gimme back my Squad Slayer and I'll start up Halo again for once.

Eh, personally, as far as pre-order armor goes, CIO is my least favorite of the bunch. That nose-scope is just too ridiculous looking for me. Venator is easily my favorite, followed by Gungnir and Oceanic.

I think Venator is cool and Oceanic is awesome. Not much a fan of Gungnir, though. Didn't like it in Reach, either (though it looks better in 4).

kylej

Banned
yeah Halo 4 marketing sucks ass. the pinnacle for me was being in what should be the heat of the marketing blitz, checking Halo Waypoint, and BS Angel has an article about Halo Reach community ship themed screenshots.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I just find out Microsoft caps internet speeds through XBL.(Mock me if this is known)

Apparently you can run a speed test through Internet Explorer on XBL. My speeds are chopped down almost to nothing.

What? That doesn't make any sense.

Trey

I can agree on the marketing being lacking in a traditional sense. They're really going for a word of mouth type of deal. It's been a humble campaign.

Evo-Traviss is pretty good. I choose not to think too much about KFT Traviss.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I thought MS put a limit on how much bandwidth games could upload and download to cater to the lowest common denominator of XBL connections to avoid super laggy 200 player games?

If I'm understanding correctly that doesn't make any sense since its going to make every host suck no matter what connection they actually have at home.

It could be for a variety of reasons.

IE on XBL might still be kind of clunky and slow as a program. This could affect the results as it might stall a little behind the scenes.

Could be that your Xbox is connected wirelessly and your computer is connected by LAN. This would definitely affect speeds.

Or your computer could be wirelessly connected on -N while your box is connected to -G.

Or the Xbox handles and throttles traffic differently than a computer because it is designed for video games primarily and not for more regular kinds of traffic.

Or NAT issues.

Or Microsoft hates you. Yeah, probably that one.

FyreWulff

If I'm understanding correctly that doesn't make any sense since its going to make every host suck no matter what connection they actually have at home.

The lower player counts on many Xbox games that also have a PC version are due to MS's bandwidth cap on 360 titles. Doesn't matter if dedicated servers are involved.

I have a suspicion, though. Someone go to http://www.whatismyip.com on their Xbox and PC , and see if it reports as being different on the Xbox.

Booshka

I thought MS put a limit on how much bandwidth games could upload and download to cater to the lowest common denominator of XBL connections to avoid super laggy 200 player games?

lol it's like Halo CE on PC. I've heard this before, limiting your connection on XBL seems silly, but I'm sure there is a reason XBL likes to keep everyone at like 80-120 ping at best all the time.

External Memory

Neo Member

Sorry for the late reply. If you get sick of Traviss, Evolutions would likely be a nice segue into Contact Harvest and the Cole Protocol, I haven't read them but I'm 99% certain there's more variety of action in those than Kilo Five, even if the threads of those earlier stories are likely tied up by now / for you.

Only figured, as long as you'd just finished Onyx, you'd want to continue along that arc.

senador

Banned
Speaking of internet and Xbox... I've been trying to get my network ready for Halo 4 and optimize it for my other devices. My Xbox has been on 802.11a on 5ghz and been fine, but when I tried to switch it to 2.4ghz on 802.11g it turns into a snail and tries to kill itself. I can't seem to figure it out. Does the Xbox wireless adapter hate g?

The lower player counts on many Xbox games that also have a PC version are due to MS's bandwidth cap on 360 titles. Doesn't matter if dedicated servers are involved.

I have a suspicion, though. Someone go to http://www.whatismyip.com on their Xbox and PC , and see if it reports as being different on the Xbox.

That still doesn't make any sense? Why not just have a documented limit rather than mess with people's connections which means even 4v4's may be laggier? If the thing Zap said about a limit being used to enforce player numbers per match I mean.

Fuchsdh

It is. That said, most of the criticisms have a kernel of truth to them. The Thursday War is a much better book, however, and "Human Weakness" is one of the standouts of Evolutions, especially if you're a fan of Cortana.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Normally I get 40-50 DL, 5 UL

On XBL I'm getting 2.17 DL, 1.59 UL

Mind=Exploded

Nope all direct connect here, no wireless.

I don't understand the purpose behind this. Seems counter intuitive to me.

External Memory

Neo Member
As nilla said the spreadsheet can be found by quoting my post. It is to keep the lurkers from getting to it. ;) And I will love you forever EXEM. lol... glad to see you finally made it to HaloGAF. I can offer you the Oceanic Skin from walmart. :)

You got it . Wanna just take your Oceanic off the spread then? That is, if you held it for me.

I can dick around with my armor more, then, even if I'll likely stick with whatever looks most like ODST for the helmet, probably Recruit.

Just so you know, I preordered my LE online on Gamestop with powerup, no midnight in store pickup, so you may have to be a little patient.

zap

I don't understand the purpose behind this. Seems counter intuitive to me.

For gaming (as far as I am aware, I'm sure Fyrewulff will correct me if I'm wrong) the main factor for a nice lag free game is ping, not download and upload bandwidth beyond a certain level.

I can't remember the figures Bungie put out but if you have a certain min upload and download speed, high speeds won't help any - it's all about the ping and packet loss.

blamite

I finally found some Gamefuel today at CVS. They only had like 4 regular bottles though, no 12 packs or anything. It's so weird how hard it is to find this time compared to previous years. This, by far, is the biggest failure of Halo 4 marketing.

DeadNames

Banned
I finally found some Gamefuel today at CVS. They only had like 4 regular bottles though, no 12 packs or anything. It's so weird how hard it is to find this time compared to previous years. This, by far, is the biggest failure of Halo 4 marketing.

No kidding. I've found Doritos and DXP Normal dew, which sucks.

Apparently the nearest gamefuel is 50 miles away in New Hampshire :/

You drove 2 and a half hours for doritos and mountain dew? The things people do for video games...

Round trip. We were just going to go down to the store for some chips but when we found out they had dew a little drive form us we changed our minds. It was a fun little road trip for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom