• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minecraft is wonderful. I really hope 4J & MS keep supporting it. And by really hope... they'd be crazy not to.

No harm in asking what their thought process was in not doing it.

Edit: Oh my.
iCfbjNQtNMTOb.png

Yes, I managed to lazily forget the s in weeks. I'm not proud of it.

What's this dark magic? (That message thing)

Sai-kun

Banned
There are a couple instances of Halsey hate that I thought were not exactly necessary, but it's not nearly as excessive as Glasslands.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Man, I got to go out looking for some Gamefuel and Doritos. My university's convenience store sells single serving bags of Doritos with double xp, but it costs way too much. And I mainly want Gamefuel. Hits me right in the nostalgia.

Someone on a Halo forum isn't buying the game cause of the marketing campaign? That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

Edit : The pre-order bonuses have been a mess, yes, but if that's your primary reason for skipping Halo 4, then wow.
Or maybe the poor marketing campaign has given them a bad impression of the game... Same thing happens with movies all the time. No hype movie gets no hype from consumers.

FyreWulff

I don't understand the purpose behind this. Seems counter intuitive to me.

They set a baseline connection for Live games to use. The intent behind it is that you don't have a bunch of games made for one type of connection, then one suddenly jumps out to needing 10MB down/up and customers calling and complaining that it doesn't perform well or at all (extreme example). It's the same stuff they pulled re: Halo PC, where the game was limited because MS wanted it to be compatible with 56k connections. Basically, they enforce games being compatible with the majority of internet connections available at the time.

The last time I was directly involved on a 360 project, the baseline was a 256kb/256kb DSL connection. It might have gone up slightly since then.

Sony just matches Microsoft's limits.

GhaleonEB

They already have one the same size as the space in Halo 3 forge in the form of the Griffball court?

Also there are big voids in space on Impact and Erosion specifically to build larger forge maps inside. Build a grid and place a giant flat piece of metal, just like the current forge!

I've watched the walkthrough videos twice an I didn't see a single location I'm interested in building a BTB map on. Nada. :(

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
They set a baseline connection for Live games to use. The intent behind it is that you don't have a bunch of games made for one type of connection, then one suddenly jumps out to needing 10MB down/up and customers calling and complaining that it doesn't perform well or at all (extreme example). It's the same stuff they pulled re: Halo PC, where the game was limited because MS wanted it to be compatible with 56k connections. Basically, they enforce games being compatible with the majority of internet connections available at the time.

The last time I was directly involved on a 360 project, the baseline was a 256kb/256kb DSL connection. It might have gone up slightly since then.

Sony just matches Microsoft's limits.

I give up, all of this is way over my head.

I can't help but think I'm wasting money on my 30 down 5 up connection now though.

Also I appreciate you trying to help me understand.

Woorloog

Banned
I've watched the walkthrough videos twice an I didn't see a single location I'm interested in building a BTB map on. Nada. :(

Giant infantry space station to... Impact? And use the natural ground to make asymmetrical vehicle BTB map on Erosion. Easy. Except i expect i'll never manage to create the latter one, i'll find too many faults in the natural terrain, and the space station will be too boring and i won't make it.

And.... Well. That's all i could think of. They're pretty boring looking...

Trey

MS bottlenecks the down/up of all games on Live with the most widely available connection speed so that customers can expect consistent service when they purchase a game. This ensures that no one purchases a Live game their internet connection can't handle.

watership

Speaking of internet and Xbox... I've been trying to get my network ready for Halo 4 and optimize it for my other devices. My Xbox has been on 802.11a on 5ghz and been fine, but when I tried to switch it to 2.4ghz on 802.11g it turns into a snail and tries to kill itself. I can't seem to figure it out. Does the Xbox wireless adapter hate g?

Probably because 802.11g @2.4ghz is a very busy band with everyone having routers to wireless home phones at the frequency. Hell even microwaves are at that frequency. I bought the Wireless N to fix that at 5ghz. Wired is still the best bet. Not an option I guess?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Or maybe the poor marketing campaign has given them a bad impression of the game... Same thing happens with movies all the time. No hype movie gets no hype from consumers.

Halo: CE didn't exactly have much of a campaign

Halo 2? was completely misleading

Halo 3? had nothing to do with the game

Halo 4? seems to be the only one actually advertising the game

It's just not as flashy.

I dunno about anyone else, but if being lied to is a requirement to convince me to buy something... I'd probably have to rethink my life

FyreWulff

I can't help but think I'm wasting money on my 30 down 5 up connection now though.

For Live, you are wasting your money. The super simple version of it is: they set the speed limit on the Xbox Live Information Superhighway to 25mph so the people with 1940s Model Ts can drive on it equally as well as the Formula 1 cars.

However, for the rest of your general internet, 30/5 is a good. Youtube, video streaming, downloading digital titles etc are PAINFUL on anything much lower than that now.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
MS bottlenecks the down/up of all games on Live with the most widely available connection speed so that customers can expect consistent service when they purchase a game. This ensures that no one purchases a Live game their internet connection can't handle.

Yeah, got that, but what I don't understand is why they don't just make the game just require that speed but allow more. It seems like it makes potential good hosts "less" if everyone is at the same speed. Like I said. I feel like I'm wasting my money on my 30down 5 up now since all my gaming is on console.

I'm not good with this shit though so it's probably beyond my understanding.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
For Live, you are wasting your money. The super simple version of it is: they set the speed limit on the Xbox Live Information Superhighway to 25mph so the people with 1940s Model Ts can drive on it equally as well as the Formula 1 cars.

However, for the rest of your general internet, 30/5 is a good. Youtube, video streaming, downloading digital titles etc are PAINFUL on anything much lower than that now.

Yeah and that sucks. But we are a no cable, Internet tv only house so I guess there's that.

Sorry for double. Phone posting.

zap

This is also why the 'post your speedtest results HaloGAF' phase that happens every few OTs is (more) meaningless.

I have another extra DewXP code I don't want. So I'll give it to whoever answers this correctly first.

Who is the composer behind the track "117"?
Hint: It's not Neil.

Is anyone managing a list of who is getting what pre-order skin and what they want to trade it for? If so, I am getting the web armor skin from my Amazon pre-order and would like to trade it for the circuit armor skin. I saw a picture the other day that led me to believe this was being done.

-Edit-

Someone contacted me who wants to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom