• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is really disappointing dying with a power weapon in BTB.
Especially if you're using ammo.
It is depressing losing incinerator cannons and binary rifles.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So what do your guys' load outs look like?

I am really loving the boltshot.
None of my buddies are using it much, but I can't imagine making a load out without it.

Also, thruster pack. I can't justify using any other ability.

DMR/Light Rifle, Boltshot, Thruster, Dexterity, AA efficiency.
Profit.

I've been mixing it up using almost all rifles now that I have them unlocked. For AA's I'm using Hologram, Thruster and Hard Light Shield the most. For mods I'm using Shielding and Ammo the most. I do also like Firepower and dexterity though. Dexterity really helps when using power weapons because of how slow they reload.

I still find myself forgetting to use my AA completely in some matches though.

Ricken, for Dominion you gain 30 points, per base at every resupply. So if a base goes uncontested, that's 45 seconds.

Ken

I think it works pretty well. Use it or lose it.

Use it or hope your teammate doesn't accidentally stop the timer on it long enough for an enemy to pick it up.

None of my buddies are using it much, but I can't imagine making a load out without it.

Profit.

I've been enjoying DMR, Boltshot, Active Camo, Mobility, and the radar upgrade.

Just kidding. AR 3 buffed grenade jetpack lololol.

I think most of the problems stem from actually getting owned in a Halo game.
I guess some people just cant take the fact that they were really not that good to begin with especially if they were coming off of Reach (like Antitype). Cant really say I will miss these people.

The gunplay in this game is amazing and reminiscent of Halo 2. I wish people would stop the bitching and actually get good at a game. Yes Black Ops will steal people.. the same people that break controllers because they cant kill their opponent in 1 shot and then blame the game because they suck.
Seriously, just stop already. We all came off of Reach.

Enfinit

Profit.
As of right now, this has been my standard loadout for nearly every game:

Primary: BR (for 4v4 maps)/DMR (for BTB maps)
Secondary: Boltshot
AA: Jetpack
Tactical: Shielding
Support: Ammo

This works extremely well for me for 99% of games. Love the BR and Boltshot.

I don't understand this. Every weapon is nearly a power weapon in the right encounter. If it wasn't, no one would ever use it..

Maybe I'm remembering 3 with rose-colored glasses, but most, if not all maps, had fixed power weapon spawns (rockets, laser, etc.) that were battles at the beginning and at fixed timers. Now its if you get lucky with an Ordinance or if you happen to be next to Incinerator Cannon when it randomly spawns. They just took a map and threw all the weapons on it.

I get that part but it seems like a very strange system. Oh you died with the rocket launcher. Good thing no enemies are around oh wait your teammate was accidentally LOSing it without knowing it and now the enemy picked it up because your teammate unknowingly paused the despawn timer on it and has now given the enemy another power weapon. So many systems now seem to be geared towards chance and being lucky.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a similar system was always in the Halo games, but you'd never notice because the timer has obviously been a lot longer than it is in this game.

Ken

Reach might have fared better, if the maps were as good as Halo 4.

So far the only maps I really enjoy are Haven, Adrift, and Abandon (?).

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a similar system was always in the Halo games, but you'd never notice because the timer has obviously been a lot longer than it is in this game.

Wasn't the weapon despawn in past Halo games based on a timer and people touching the weapon?

Trey

I get that part but it seems like a very strange system. Oh you died with the rocket launcher. Good thing no enemies are around oh wait your teammate was accidentally LOSing it without knowing it and now the enemy picked it up because your teammate unknowingly paused the despawn timer on it and has now given the enemy another power weapon. So many systems now seem to be geared towards chance and being lucky.

There is nothing wrong with "chance" being based solely upon human action.

Havok

Was just going to say this too, on smaller maps it makes more sense but on huge maps that limitation should not even be a factor.
The funny thing about his explanation is that the LOS despawn timer pause is a fucking fantastic addition. I couldn't tell you how many times I've run up to my sniper in Reach, and watched it disappear when I was two feet from it. Dozens of times, easily. A great addition like that being paired with an incredibly fast despawn timer that makes corpse runs almost entirely impossible in anything but instant respawn gametypes on tiny maps is a huge disappointment now that I know the system exists.

I edited this into my last post, but I'll repost it here (and I think Kevin seems like a great guy, you can tell he has nothing but enthusiasm for what he does, so I don't mean any offense to anyone on the dev team): In a lot of ways, it just seems like they tried to fix a problem that didn't exist. Were corpse runs actually keeping weapons on the map longer than they should have been there? Somehow I doubt it. You used to be able to use a player's tendency to run back to their gear to set up nice tactical moments where you anticipate their moves and change your style of play to accomodate, which falls into that prediction element that I feel is largely lost in the majority of Halo 4 matches I've played. I feel the same way about their global ordnance fix, having some semblance of map control based around power weapons being on predictable spawns wasn't a problem, it was a defining characteristic of the game that is now pretty much out the window. I feel like a bitter old man yelling at clouds, but I'm just sad to see the pace of a Halo match change so much and have that change be so immediately obvious. Whatever problems I had with Reach, I thought it did a fine job keeping the structure alive. And there are glimpses of it in Halo 4, namely that the classic opening rush still exists and gives just a glimmer of that great feeling that used to happen a few times per match.

JackHerer

I have really enjoyed spartan ops. The 4th mission in particular had really awesome environment with the intermixing of thick colorful jungle with forerunner structures. Makes me really want a MP map based on this aesthetic.

Ken

And there are glimpses of it in Halo 4, namely that the classic opening rush still exists and gives just a glimmer of that great feeling that used to happen a few times per match.

Here's another great feeling that's now gone.

"One shot on my X."

I'm surprised some of you guys didn't like fighting Prometheans. I really liked fighting them.

I loved fighting them; they're so damn tricky :]

What is cheap about the AI? I played it first time legendary and felt it was easy enough. Only times I died I smiled because I had been outsmarted by the AI.

Probably the easiest Halo on legendary which is disappointing because I remember hearing that this would be the hardest Halo so far.

^a big fat MHMMM

lol just got the Explore the Floor achievement naturally. Cool cheevo 343

Every scrub and the wolf they rode in on using PV now. Played some Dominion for the challenge, it was fun-- though I still don't know what exactly causes the scoring. There's more than just having bases and getting scored at intervals from what I can see.

Omni

Profit.

Light Rifle, Boltshot, plasma grenades, Regen Field, shielding and Sensor.

Hah

Shadders

I had a horrible experience with the despawn the other night.

CTF on Ragnarok. The other team had a Banshee and both Mantises (Mantii?), we were getting royally humped as they just stomped around our base killing us at spawn. The Splaser dropped in at top-mid and I raced over to grab it, I targeted the Banshee, but his fuel rod got me before I could get the shot off.

5 second respawn and I raced back to grab it, this was the only weapon on the map that could save us from the vehicular domination, but when I got there it was gone. Sad times.

On maps with loads of vehicles it's really important that the power weapons stay in play, because if one team gets on top it can be a nightmare to wrestle out of their grasp.

Pause > Leave Game.

Yeah, sure, but some people were actually good at Halo before Reach. And stop what exactly? Telling people to get good at the game and stop bitching?
Well part of what you said was more of an indirect jab. I'd just like to see the member bashing kept to a minimum. It's not like he called anyone out or was harassing anyone. I know complainers get old (I'm one of them :p), but no need to rub it in. While complaining might mean you suck, it's not a given, and Gaf tends to jump to those conclusions far too quickly. Anyway, you two could do a 1v1 to find out :)
MK_2011_2ndlogo.png

EDIT:
Starwolf's shame and embarrassment manifested into a demon that actually ate him during his sleep. RIP.
LOL

El_Chino

Hey guys, a friend of mine has the LE of Halo 4 and he correctly typed in the "Specializations/Map pack/Emblems" code but not all of his specializations are showing up? Is there any reason for this? A fix? Thanks ahead of time!

It does seem like the aim assist on everything is ma-ha-ssive. Or else bloom was fucking me up in Reach more than I knew. Snipers feels like toys. Binary Rifle ends worlds and should not exist in any videogame ever.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm still loving the game but am starting to have difficulties with mp.
I've only dabbled a little bit in past Halo's and am now running into better and better competition who are kicking my butt.

I'm now finishing most games either dead even or with more deaths than kills - my k/d ratio is really taking a dive as a result :(

Any tips to help me out?

Someone earlier mentioned shooting to the body and only finishing with a headshot - is this true even for DMR? I usually go only for the headshot and inevitably I will miss at least one of those per encounter. Should I be aiming for body first, or maybe try another weapon?

Someone also mentioned sticking close to walls and not running out into open spaces. I can understand why I shouldn't be running into open spaces, but if I stick close to walls will I not be easier to kill with grenades?

Speaking of grenades, when is it best to use them? Should I use them at start of a fight? At end to finish them off? Or only use them to throw around corners?

Any other tips that will help me? I really love the game and know I'm probably not going to be a 'pro' but would like it at least finish my games having not completely dragged my other team mates down.

Lastly. If I'm now getting matched up with people above my skill level (didn't have this problem first few days and was kicking butt) will the game recognise this soon and start matching me with other people that are more at my level?

TheOddOne

The funny thing about his explanation is that the LOS despawn timer pause is a fucking fantastic addition. I couldn't tell you how many times I've run up to my sniper in Reach, and watched it disappear when I was two feet from it. Dozens of times, easily. A great addition like that being paired with an incredibly fast despawn timer that makes corpse runs almost entirely impossible in anything but instant respawn gametypes on tiny maps is a huge disappointment now that I know the system exists.

I edited this into my last post, but I'll repost it here (and I think Kevin seems like a great guy, you can tell he has nothing but enthusiasm for what he does, so I don't mean any offense to anyone on the dev team): In a lot of ways, it just seems like they tried to fix a problem that didn't exist. Were corpse runs actually keeping weapons on the map longer than they should have been there? Somehow I doubt it. You used to be able to use a player's tendency to run back to their gear to set up nice tactical moments where you anticipate their moves and change your style of play to accomodate, which falls into that prediction element that I feel is largely lost in the majority of Halo 4 matches I've played. I feel the same way about their global ordnance fix, having some semblance of map control based around power weapons being on predictable spawns wasn't a problem, it was a defining characteristic of the game that is now pretty much out the window. I feel like a bitter old man yelling at clouds, but I'm just sad to see the pace of a Halo match change so much and have that change be so immediately obvious. Whatever problems I had with Reach, I thought it did a fine job keeping the structure alive. And there are glimpses of it in Halo 4, namely that the classic opening rush still exists and gives just a glimmer of that great feeling that used to happen a few times per match.
*Nods so much*

Like it has been said time and time before, there is a gem underneath the window dressing.

I love using it, but the Boltshot is so OP, IMO. It's basically a shotgun that you spawn with...
I much, much prefer clean-up with the magnum, but yeah. I think it'll be a little less dominant when people figure out charging you when you're using it is a terrible idea.

And when they inevitably nerf PV.

I love using it, but the Boltshot is so OP, IMO. It's basically a shotgun that you spawn with...
I use it and do really well with it.. But I honestly don't die from it very often.
It is a tough gun to use with lots of risk/reward attached to it.
Hard to recover if you miss your shot :p

And when they inevitably nerf PV.
You really think PV is OP? I never use it, and hardly run into it. And when I do, I'm not threatened at all by it.

You really think PV is OP?
Well, its range is absurd and you can use it frequently. You can call out exact enemy positions to teammates without it (and better than positions, where they're headed next; this is probably its most powerful use), and people often don't realize you've used it in a distracting situation. Even when they do, it frequently gives you a split-second edge on anyone coming around a corner. It also allows you to throw caution to the winds when sprinting around with Mobility if you see no one's in the area.

But what bothers me more is that it hampers a lot of cat-and-mouse behaviour that I enjoy. Nothing worse than two people with PV squatting on opposite sides of a door, waiting for the other player to risk something.

malfcn

Beat it.

Waypoint kills my Xbox from within game. Have to launch from Dashboard.
Mission summary is broken. I have the achievements for beating the game, but it thinks I never beat it. Thinks I am still on Mission 4. What's up with that?

9.5 hours on Heroic.

Nirvana

Someone earlier mentioned shooting to the body and only finishing with a headshot - is this true even for DMR? I usually go only for the headshot and inevitably I will miss at least one of those per encounter. Should I be aiming for body first, or maybe try another weapon?

You do the same damage to their shields on the body as the head, so always go for the body first to lower their shields and pop them with a head shot to finish the kill quickly.

Someone also mentioned sticking close to walls and not running out into open spaces. I can understand why I shouldn't be running into open spaces, but if I stick close to walls will I not be easier to kill with grenades?

I wouldn't say necessarily stick close to walls, but you should try and move from cover to cover rather than running through big open spaces to get from point a to point b.

Speaking of grenades, when is it best to use them? Should I use them at start of a fight? At end to finish them off? Or only use them to throw around corners?

I use nades in both contexts. Either when you see a dot on your radar around a corner, drop one to lower their shields or at the end of a battle as a last ditch effort to kill your opponent. Dropping nades right before you die is often a good way to clean up the guy who killed you as well, since you wont get those nades back anyway.

Any other tips that will help me? I really love the game and know I'm probably not going to be a 'pro' but would like it at least finish my games having not completely dragged my other team mates down.

I think the biggest one is DON'T chase kills. It often feels like the right thing to do, you pop a guy's shields, he's one shot and you want to finish him as he runs away. Likelihood is, unless he is in a fairly open area, he will have a backup plan to take you down. He could have a shotgun, he could drop a nice nade as you round the corner he just turned or more likely than anything else, he will run you into a 2v1 situation and you will die. Let the kill go unless you know you can definitely finish it.

Also, just a basic tip: As a general rule, keep an all rounder weapon with you. Don't swap out your DMR/BR and roll with 2 power weapons just because they are good guns. The primary weapons are designed to be all-purpose, whereas power weapons are for specific situations. There are exceptions to this rule obviously, rockets and sniper or shotgun and sniper can be pretty effective if you are camping a location, but I would generally steer clear of it. Even if you are T2...

Lastly. If I'm now getting matched up with people above my skill level (didn't have this problem first few days and was kicking butt) will the game recognise this soon and start matching me with other people that are more at my level?

According to 343 the game uses 'trueskill' in the background to match you up with people of a similar skill. This means if you consistantly win games, the game will match you with people of a higher skill level until you start to have a more consistant win/loss ratio or 'level out'. Same goes for if you lose games, you should start to play lower level folks that match your skill level.

As a general comment, I just finished my Solo Legendary run and really enjoyed it, the cutscenes had more impact and the gameplay was fanatastic. Not especially hard, died maybe once or twice per level, but much better than the hideously easy Halo 3 and Reach campaigns on Legendary. I recommend everyone play the campaign Solo Legendary, I got a lot more enjoyment out of it than my first run through.

Pop

Beat it.

Waypoint kills my Xbox from within game. Have to launch from Dashboard.
Mission summary is broken. I have the achievements for beating the game, but it thinks I never beat it. Thinks I am still on Mission 4. What's up with that?

9.5 hours on Heroic.

I beat legendary solo and was never rewarded my Mark VI armor. I have all the achievements. That was the main reason for me beating it on legendary. :(

broony

For the guy asking about MP help. I suck, and I have been using the DMR / Hologram since launch. I stayed around a 0.95 Kill / Death.

Last night I switched to using the BR and promethean vision and I am doing so much better. Promethean may seem like a shitty AA to people who have played a lot, but it has been really helpful to understand how situations play out.

Like described above, when you pop someones shields then they duck out, previously I would just pile round the corner, to mixed results. With PV I can get a better idea if the guy is sitting there waiting to mellee or grenade or whatever or if I can go round to finish him.

It does feel a bit cheap, but for someone like me who isn't particularly good at the game, it is really helping me learn. I'm just scared of using it as too much of a crutch though.

Biggest difference to me though was to switch to the BR. Now pretty much everytime I pull hte trigger, something is hitting out of the three, where as the DMR is all or noting. I'm seeing much fewer assists and more kills pop up.

zap

I think the fast despawn for power weapons is fine - there are too many power weapons in most games anyway. But the despawning DMR/BR/AR etc means I run into low ammo all the time. I have to rush to people I have killed to get ammo before it despawns, leaving me open to attack a lot more :/ however the other option is for me to just run out of ammo and die somewhere else.

It does feel a bit cheap, but for someone like me who isn't particularly good at the game, it is really helping me learn. I'm just scared of using it as too much of a crutch though.
Yeah, it does feel cheap (because it's powerful). I stopped using Armor Lock after a while in Reach because of that same feeling. My go-to AA will probably be Hologram again, once I remember to save up the SPs for it instead of blowing them on everything quickly to get the unlock grind out of the way.

I think the fast despawn for power weapons is fine - there are too many power weapons in most games anyway. But the despawning DMR/BR/AR etc means I run into low ammo all the time. I have to rush to people I have killed to get ammo before it despawns, leaving me open to attack a lot more :/ however the other option is for me to just run out of ammo and die somewhere else.
Feels like ammo is really scarce in this game, from (Legendary) Campaign to War Games. I gave my 'opening rush' loadout Ammo just to see if it stopped me running out of DMR bullets so often, and it's pretty great. I didn't even realize it gives you more ammo in everything, including kill streak drops.

(More Binary Rifle ammo! Bonus extra free kills! Look it practically fires itself you are are a winner please please please don't buy CoD...)

Lunchbox

Banned
sold the preorder crap i got from best buy - 24$
american express promotion - 35$

now i gotta find something similar for black cops 2

zap

Yeah, it does feel cheap (because it's powerful). I stopped using Armor Lock after a while in Reach because of that same feeling. My go-to AA will probably be Hologram again, once I remember to save up the SPs for it instead of blowing them on everything quickly to get the unlock grind out of the way.

Feels like ammo is really scarce in this game, from (Legendary) Campaign to War Games. I gave my 'opening rush' loadout Ammo just to see if it stopped me running out of DMR bullets so often, and it's pretty great. I didn't even realize it gives you more ammo in everything, including kill streak drops.

(More Binary Rifle ammo! Bonus extra free kills! Look it practically fires itself you are are a winner please please please don't buy CoD...)

I have one loadout with the ammo perk package (it's totally not a perk guys!) but I love dexterity way too much :/

I had forgotten that the ammo perk gives you more everything... I might have to start using it more.

Also I just want fewer power weapons in BTB (also objective plz). I hate heavies so much :/

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
binary rifle....bit overpowered i must say...

Anybody care to play with me? I'm not a bad player.... :p well i have good and bad games, usually good though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom