• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping (and I'm still hoping for) for missions that cater to a specific type of gameplay. Have a training course level, a sniper level, a stealth level, a race level, a firefight level, an air vehicle level, that kind of stuff. It's still possible to a certain extend but loadouts hinder this kind of stuff. The levels that we've seen so far don't bode that well for the future missions either because so far we've just been thrown into an area, had to kill some dudes, go to a waypoint, press a button, move to the next area and kill more dudes until a Pelican pick you up. Only variation being that there's vehicles thrown into the mix every now and then.

We also just played 4-player co-op - which is the point of Spartan Ops - on Legendary and we just blasted through the last level in a few minutes without much resistance and only a few deaths. That was with me just trying to get out of the map we weren't even fighting at full strength. Maybe it was the level, but it looks like it's just way too easy to complete a level. I personally enjoyed it more when playing with less players or even on my own, but even then the infinite respawns take away any kind of challenge.

In the end I wish it was more like Call of Duty's Spec Ops where missions are focused much more on one specific type of play and it's really challenging just to complete missions, let alone doing so with a good score. It's more arcedey which I like too.
I like your suggestions, I'd like to have a wider variety of missions that actually made you think about a combat approach rather than just barreling ahead with no repercussions. How robust is the Spec Ops stuff? Never played COD beyond the demo, but it might be worth trying it out to give some comparison.

Anyone else rocking the glorious Fishstick control scheme? It's made my sniping skills so much better than when I used recon.

Sprint on Thumb stick and zoom on left trigger is god like.

Also Legecy controls ftw.
I like it the best of any config that I've tried out. I'm constantly clenching the controller, and I'm much happier now when I accidentally melee instead of scoping in like I used to do.

Oh lawd, why am I working out in the field today Q_Q

Just got this email from my boss.

GOCiv.png

FYI: He just bought Halo 4 on Tuesday for the office, and we have been playing it at lunch/after work in the break room.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does anyone wanna romp through Spartan Ops with me? I'd like to do it with a party of 3 or 4.

Message me: TashiGAF

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Spartan Ops is dumb, it wasn't even good in CoD.

Disagree. Seems like Halo's version just needs some tweaks. I wonder how many Ellis and Co. have made so far. I'd venture they'd incorporate suggestions in episodes they have yet to do.

Does anyone wanna romp through Spartan Ops with me? I'd like to do it with a party of 3 or 4.

Message me: TashiGAF

Are there campaign spoilers in it? I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to do MP or SpOps (unless it has spoilers).

MrDaravon

I like how I just got put into an KotH match onto the losing team when it was 147 to 12. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen? I was in the match for about 2 seconds before it ended. JIP makes my W/L irrelevant, but that's still annoying.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I just have to say that even though a lot of people who regularly used Forge were upset at the small amount of changes to it in Halo 4, a person like me who would only use it for a minute or two and build nothing is loving the magnets.

I can actually make things now, coming from a game design background and loving level design would tweak to no end in previous installments just to get things to line up correctly.

Curious, what do you do?

The company I work for provides IT support for other companies... Rather than having an on site IT person sitting there doing nothing for the majority of the day (no offence those of you out there that work in IT) you pay us a flat monthly rate for unlimited phone/field support.

I specifically am a Field Tech, so I spend most of my day driving from site to site working on server/network/setups.

Forge is so irritating. I was making my own silly Derby map. I placed a massive square of 4x4 pieces using magnets. I come back later and every single one of the pieces has been nudged slightly. Why is this a thing? Magnets are super handy but also annoying. They only have them half way on the edges but I'd find it way more useful to have them on the vertices.

vertex-edge-face.gif

How that comes into play is when you want to place something on the corners of structures. I've had to use pieces half the size to line them up right.

Magnets make it really accessible, but I'm going to have to learn how to use the coordinate system if I want to be sure things won't mess up.

Forge is so irritating. I was making my own silly Derby map. I placed a massive square of 4x4 pieces using magnets. I come back later and every single one of the pieces has been nudged slightly. Why is this a thing? Magnets are super handy but also annoying. They only have them half way on the edges but I'd find it way more useful to have them on the vertices.

vertex-edge-face.gif

How that comes into play is when you want to place something on the corners of structures. I've had to use pieces half the size to line them up right.

Magnets make it really accessible, but I'm going to have to learn how to use the coordinate system if I want to be sure things won't mess up.
It seems like it's gone back to Halo 3, where all the pieces move slightly no matter what you do. And for the love of god, don't let anyone in your forging party; it will make things somehow worse.

Karl2177

vertex-edge-face.gif

The hole on the top of the Room, Lrg on impact is 6.1 units big, with angled edges. There's an added bump on the exterior of the Impact ramp tube, so you can't use the outside of it. It's less fun to use than Reach's Forge. :(

To forgers: Spawn a mantis on a floor. Then spawn a few coliseum walls as ceilings above it but lower them below the mantis's full height. Try and walk around in the mantis and have someone else watch. Hilarity ensues.

The AI lets you get a way with a lot of shit. They don't like to pursue you when your shields are down except for the scattershot prometheans. They also don't do a lot of damage unless a couple of them are shooting at you all at once.

You just have to watch out for the binary rifle, any power weapons, camo sword elites, and shield strippers. The game always provides a power weapon or vehicles for the big targets, so you don't even have to worry about them. A methodical approach always wins the day.

I agree, I tend to play Heroic on my first playthrough of any Halo game; Usually its easy with a contant challenge, but in halo 4 It feels like I'm playing on Easy. I even jumped up to Legendary and I'm still dominating.

I'm honestly thinking of adding in skull modifiers to get a little challenge back into the game.

FourDoor

The company I work for provides IT support for other companies... Rather than having an on site IT person sitting there doing nothing for the majority of the day (no offence those of you out there that work in IT) you pay us a flat monthly rate for unlimited phone/field support.

I specifically am a Field Tech, so I spend most of my day driving from site to site working on server/network/setups.

I now know who to bug on here for additional tech support! ;)

*No seriously I may bug you. LOL I'm rolling out Win Server 2012 and Windows 8 now for my family's business and man, have things changed in the past 10 years since I've remotely touched this stuff*

I now know who to bug on here for additional tech support! ;)

*No seriously I may bug you. LOL I'm rolling out Win Server 2012 and Windows 8 now for my family's business and man, have things changed in the past 10 years since I've remotely touched this stuff*

Absolutely, ask away anytime...

We are just rolling out Server 2012 right now to some of our clients (we have been using it internally for a month or so). A lot of good features, minus the awkward Metro UI.

TCKaos

Interesting to see the SpOps hate. I think it's a much better idea than Firefight. Throw a bit of story into 5 weekly missions. Gives you something new to play every week.

That's it. It's a fantastic idea and I want to see where it goes, but as it stands this episode is just so lackluster to me. Most of the missions are two or three encounters on a single structure, almost certainly following the formula of:

-Clear Structure
-Press Button
-Defend Structure
-Clear LZ for Evac

that last, on Legendary, five to ten minutes per mission.

I would have loved to see some longer missions that pertain to an actual plot of sorts, even if that would mean having one mission per week instead of five.

Fuchsdh

Disagree. Seems like Halo's version just needs some tweaks. I wonder how many Ellis and Co. have made so far. I'd venture they'd incorporate suggestions in episodes they have yet to do.

Are there campaign spoilers in it? I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to do MP or SpOps (unless it has spoilers).
Ellis already solicited suggestions via Twitter. I definitely think they are interested in giving fans what they want out of it of a new season is produced.

Also, nearly to the end of this thread. I'll see you all on the 4 OT...

Redford

aka Cabbie
I think Antitype was complaining about this before and I dismissed it, but is anyone having trouble with melee feedback? Sometimes it feels you hit nothing, and either it registers instantly with no rumble, or lags a bit.

Also nerf the AR, it's getting annoying losing mid-range against it with the BR, although I'm sure that was the point.

MrDaravon

Okay, just happened for the second time today so we're not crazy. Twice today I selected Oddball from the playlists selection, it's searching for a match, and then puts us in a King of the Hill lobby. The fuck

Okay, just happened for the second time today so we're not crazy. Twice today I selected Oddball from the playlists selection, it's searching for a match, and then puts us in a King of the Hill lobby. The fuck

I don't think Oddball is on the fallback hoppers so maybe you are being put into them where KOTH is available. That's my guess anyway.

Ken

Also Starwolf got permed in a civil war related thread, he kept insisting the confederate flag was just a symbol of pride or something. I think Bish had enough. This was months ago.

Sounds like Starwolf.

Also 789shadow or whatever is a very angry person.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Has anyone else addressed the issue of "martyrdom" nades disappearing? In every Halo game I've dropped a last chance nade before dying and in Halo 4 I have witnessed so many fizzle out. Especially when I stick a vehicle and die.

Has anyone else addressed the issue of "martyrdom" nades disappearing? In every Halo game I've dropped a last chance nade before dying and in Halo 4 I have witnessed so many fizzle out. Especially when I stick a vehicle and die.

I definitely tend to do this if I get ambushed, and most of the time they disappear, or at least they don't do anything.

My thoughts on the primaries:

Why would you do this to yourself?

Light Rifle

Interesting. I like the Light Rifle a lot. Being a 4 shot kill, and having the secondary triple burst mode is fantastic.

Also, the AR is balanced very well IMO. There is actually a point in using it now. I love it.

Definitely agree with Cyclone on this lol - The Light Rifle is a beast, definitely underrated IMO.

Side thought about the Campaign: I'm hoping Halo 5 turns out to be like Halo 2 in the sense that
we play from another perspective or they go deep into the Forerunner history/lifestyle because I can see this game leaving a lot of unanswered questions, especially if you don't follow the fiction. People wouldn't really appreciate the Covenant as enemies had it not been for Halo 2, let alone understand why they're the enemies we're fighting, so that's what I'm hoping for with Halo 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom