• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Gah. Just going through the helmets in the game and I came across the Commando one.

I was expecting this, but better...
commando_ua_fc_i2.jpg

What the hell is this monstrosity?
Screen-Shot-2012-09-06-at-11.31.46-PM.png
Seriously. Commando was all I wore in Reach. No longer.

rakka

anyone know whether the pilot helmet is in 4?
helmets pretty much all suck. I'm rocking the wet works helmet right now though, it's one of the few that to me are acceptable

Camo and Crouch is terrible. "Look at me, I am invisible and can kill with no skill!"

halo 4 in a nutshell.

swat is decent though.

IHaveIce

Banned
Last day of Snipers :( The only playlist I like to play at the moment :(

Dominion is cool, but I really don't like most of the bigger maps and so it also is a pain to play.
Only Exile is good, love Exile <3

Pop

Last day of Snipers :( The only playlist I like to play at the moment :(

Dominion is cool, but I really don't like most of the bigger maps and so it also is a pain to play.
Only Exile is good, love Exile <3

I'm not feeling any of the playlist besides slayer pro. Even that's getting stale without obj. 343i needs to mix slayer and obj together already.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm not feeling any of the playlist besides slayer pro. Even that's getting stale without obj. 343i needs to mix slayer and obj together already.

Slayer Pro- Without radar- weapon set up on Adrift : Scattershot and SWORD.. with Sprint that isn't slowed down by bullets.

I think we(I) just need a classic playlist. Set weapon spawns(chosen for map), Radar, no infinity meter, no AAs and fixed spawns for almost every map and no instant respawn ( :'( )

At least a radar in Slayer Pro which is set to Allies only would be nice, because we would have at least the small x on the radar ..

Deathmarks :(

Ken

Slayer Pro- Without radar- weapon set up on Adrift : Scattershot and SWORD.. with Sprint that isn't slowed down by bullets.

Why not just get rid of the Sword. I can't really think of anything positive the sword brings into the game; it turns anyone who picks it up into a crouching camper or a derp-mode zergling who will either die instantly or walk away with an overkill.

Pop

I think we(I) just need a classic playlist. Set weapon spawns(chosen for map), Radar, no infinity meter, no AAs and fixed spawns for almost every map and no instant respawn ( :'( )

At least a radar in Slayer Pro which is set to Allies only would be nice, because we would have at least the small x on the radar ..

Deathmarks :(

As much as I want classic Halo playlist to happen, you might as well wish for Dinosaurs to return.

IHaveIce

Banned
Why not just get rid of the Sword. I can't really think of anything positive the sword brings into the game; it turns anyone who picks it up into a crouching camper or a derp-mode zergling who will either die instantly or walk away with an overkill.
Yep I agree, it is even worse in Infinity showdown with Active Camo. And on a map like Adrift with Hallways and many corners it is deadly as fuck

As much as I want classic Halo playlist to happen, you might as well wish for Dinosaurs to return.

I want a tyrannosaurus as pet

Someone on another forum asked for opinions on ordnance. Crossposting here.

I'd be fine with personal ordnance as a playlist specific thing. It's kind of fun and rewarding. Good casual fun.

But WHY WHY WHY did they have to fuck with Halo and put in Global Ordnance. I love the idea of weapons spawning in or raining down. I LOVE the idea of HUD indicators for the weapons. BUT WHY. WHY IN GODS NAME DID THEY HAVE TO MAKE IT A RANDOM CLUSTERFUCK.

Halo matches have always had a flow to them. You fight for control of power weapons that are strategically positioned to promote good gameplay encounters. Long hallway in Pit, Sniper tower to Sniper tower shootouts. OS spawns. Etc etc.

343's excuse for making weapon spawns a random clusterfuck is
1. To end the advantage experienced players have with knowing when and where weapons will spawn
2. To promote "dynamic" gameplay because they felt matches being too similar was bad.

well...

1. Why? Why is it bad that players who put in the time and effort to learn spawn times and locations get rewarded? It's not difficult. Even complete scrubs will find out where weapons spawn in a few games. Then it only takes some basic communication and timekeeping. Hell, unless someone tells me they have the new rockets or I pick them up, I assume they will spawn around 8:45, 5:45, 2:45. And I make sure to set up to grab them.

2. Well, I don't think matches play too much alike now. Mission fucking accomplished. Don't know what was so bad about having encounters near the power weapons every few minutes. I for one loved it. Matches had a nice flow. Now its a huge clusterfuck. A team at one end might get a sniper while a team at the other end gets a needler. We've found out there is a drop SOMEWHERE on the map every 2 minutes. Doesn't matter when its picked up. Just every 2 minutes a new ordnance drop rains down. But its position and contents of the drop are random.

And there's no playlist with static drops. None at all.

And lets just all agree that Infinity BTB is fucking terrible. Personal drops in BTB turns it into heavies. Not only that but its a big fuck you to map movement.
1. You put a lot of faith in scrubs, to not only find out and remember each power weapon spawn on each rotating map on each playlist, but to track their respawn timers as well. Thats dedication right there, and investment, and time, put in from day one, and not to be rewarded quickly or easily. Its an e-sport mentality - not something you can expect from most players at all. So what you eventually end up with are hardcore players in groups, consolidating and sharing information, and running over everybody else. New players get discouraged and don't keep playing, nor do they learn the ins and outs of the game fans hold to be so sacred. Populations dwindle as players move to other games with more accessible objectives.

Also, what are the chances that new players will get enough quality time with the power weapons to learn to use them effectively? We're talking from scratch here, and no, campaign doesnt count one iota, as the covenant AI doesn't hold a candle to other players. So, a new player who wants to learn and get some hands on time with rockets or the sniper has to rush one of the power weapons and deal not only with beating the enemy to the weapon, but other hardcore players on their own team who would betray them to grab them, or talk shit to them when they did acquire them, or just try to grief them afterwards because "they called it" and "K/D ratios" and all the other bullshit that surrounds these games. Play to win, right?

One of the best things to happen to Halo in terms of introducing new players, and allowing interested players to hone their skills is personal ordnance. Now everybody that plays Halo 4 is going to get some quality time with the power weapons without interfering with the rest of the team or subjecting themselves to grief, and without having to keep track of map properties and respawn timers. This is a good thing. It leads to better teamwork overall, since the skill floor is being raised.

2. Dynamism or clusterfuck, depending upon your perspective. If you want to see a clusterfuck, play MAG on PS3 - Halo 4 is far from it. Halo 4 rewards teams that take the best advantage of circumstances as they present themselves, in terms of global ordnance, personal ordnance, and loadout matchups. Some that see only chaos aren't seeing or appreciating the different dynamic at work here - just painting it as broken and bad, and that's a purely subjective viewpoint.

Why do I keep getting Frags,Needler,Speed Boost from personal ordnance when everyone around me gets railgun/binary rifle/incinerator canon/rockets ect

Its like the game is saying "well done please pick from 3 rewards. Fuck All, Fuck All and Fuck All.

Its beyond annoying. Do i just have the worst luck possible?

Now that I think about it, you could set up an Arduino to record halo gameplay footage in 1080p with perfect anti aliasing and theater-mode-extras like longer/higher LOD distances, better filtering and potentially infinitely higher frame rates for procedural effects like Particle/water/plant-animations effects (though, sadly, not player animations since those don't seem to get interpolated). Maybe you could even capture it all in stereo 3d through a slight offset. All you would have to do is get the arduino to emulate the Xbox controller with some macros to automate all the button presses and capture everything frame by frame.
Wait... This could actually work!

Ken

Why do I keep getting Frags,Needler,Speed Boost from personal ordnance when everyone around me gets railgun/binary rifle/incinerator canon/rockets ect

Its like the game is saying "well done please pick from 3 rewards. Fuck All, Fuck All and Fuck All.

Its beyond annoying. Do i just have the worst luck possible?

The game decided that you need more quality time with the Needler before you can use the grown up weapons.

Nirvana

Gah. Just going through the helmets in the game and I came across the Commando one.

I was expecting this, but better...
commando_ua_fc_i2.jpg

What the hell is this monstrosity?
Screen-Shot-2012-09-06-at-11.31.46-PM.png

There's a helmet that looks like Commando from Reach, not sure which one it was but I unlocked it really early on. Strangely, it's not called Commando...

EDIT; Pretty sure it was Aviator; not entirely the same, but fairly similar:

86Koe.jpg

Omni

On the fifth level one of the marines was talking about MC taking the Scarab out at New Mombasa in Halo 2. I wants to play it now.

A remake 343i plz

There's a helmet that looks like Commando from Reach, not sure which one it was but I unlocked it really early on. Strangely, it's not called Commando...

EDIT; Pretty sure it was Aviator; not entirely the same, but fairly similar:
Eh, it's kinda similar, but not enough to make me want to like it. That just looks like a BMX helmet or something

My 360 finally gave in to a RRoD. I originally bought her for Halo 3's release so it's fitting that she went out while playing matchmaking. Now I find myself in the unenviable position of debating buying a dying console to play my favorite game series.

Nirvana

My 360 finally gave in to a RRoD. I originally bought her for Halo 3's release so it's fitting that she went out while playing matchmaking. Now I find myself in the unenviable position of debating buying a dying console to play my favorite game series.

You will get at least another year out of it, if not two; I'd say it's worth it mang.

This has been bugging me for a while. Which forearms are those? I'm pretty sure they aren't in the game.

And does anyone know if it's possible to have a blank emblem in this game? Like in previous games where you'd pick Seventh Column and toggle the emblem and it'd be blank.

J10

Banned
I wonder if they could just stop spending a hundred million dollars producing Halo games and thus not have to worry about if one-handed soccer moms can play it.

Almost all of those renders have those forearms. The Recon set in the game doesn't have it's own set of forearms. In fact, I'm pretty sure the only armor sets with unique forearms are the Recruit, FOTUS and Mark VI.
Btw. how do I unlock the FOTUS armor? I have put the code of the console in my game but it does not unlock. :/

AND WHY THE HELL IS THE MONITOR EMBLEM 343i-Exclusive? :(

TheOddOne

I wonder if they could just stop spending a hundred million dollars producing Halo games and thus not have to worry about if one-handed soccer moms can play it.
I dunno, seeing as you still find it difficult I guess soccer moms must be better then you. Long live soccer moms.

I was just reading through this list of Halo 4 medals. I didn't realize some of these existed! I wish they were more "in your face" like previous Halo games, rather than the central white text, although with as many medals as there are, I understand the decision to simplify it with text on screen.

Some of the cool medals I didn't know existed, or didn't know the specifics of:

70px-H4_-_Last_Strike.png

Last Strike - Final kill

70px-H4_-_Retribution.png

Retribution - Assassinate the guy who killed you previously.

70px-H4_-_Busted.png

Busted - Kill an opponent attempting to hijack or skyjack a vehicle.

70px-H4_-_Shield_Door_Destroyer.png

Shield Door Destroyer - Destroy 5 Dominion shield doors without dying.
This is most interesting as it shows that forge objects can be directly tied to Megalo which can then trigger medals.

FyreWulff

I was just reading through this list of Halo 4 medals. I didn't realize some of these existed! I wish they were more "in your face" like previous Halo games, rather than the central white text, although with as many medals as there are, I understand the decision to simplify it with text on screen.

Last Strike - Final kill

70px-H4_-_Busted.png

This is most interesting as it shows that forge objects can be directly tied to Megalo which can then trigger medals.

I'm not sure how reliably you can get that last one though. It seems random when the game acknowledges you destroying the shield doors. Like 1/3rd chance it'll actually say "Breach!" when you grenade one, or "SHIELD DOOR DESTROYED +10" at all.

Last Strike - Final kill

70px-H4_-_Busted.png

Am I the only one who thinks that the medals look pretty good? I like them. :(

It's good that there is basically a medal for everything, doesn't mean you should always go after them but cool that it's there for people.

Need to try a jump on a mongoose with someone now :p

I am going to do nothing but go camo and destroy shield doors. I will be ranked number 1 on HaloCharts for getting killing spree's against shield doors. I will be a level 50 door destroyer and the general shield door population will fear me.

But really, how did some of these medals make it in over the simple Sniper headshot medal? So many of these medals are just fluff, why not focus on making useful medals?

Also the map selection in this game is getting very stale, Haven having a reduced weighting meant I played a lot of Adrift and Abandon, Solace is a good map but seems to pop up too rarely. I don't get who at 343 decided to reduce the weighting on the more popular maps.

Halo 4 has about the same starting map count as the older games right? I kind of wish they focused more on maps the size of Haven, right now the 4v4 playlists are suffering with about 4/5 maps in rotation.

BTB has:
Longbow
Exile
Ragnarok
Vortex
Meltdown

While 4v4 has:
Haven
Solace
Adrift
Complex
Abandon

I dont think BTB needs so many maps, Vortex and Meltdown hardly pop up - I just wish those maps didnt exist and where instead 4v4 maps to make things less repetitive in the majority of the other playlists.

I am going to do nothing but go camo and destroy shield doors. I will be ranked number 1 on HaloCharts for getting killing spree's against shield doors. I will be a level 50 door destroyer and the general shield door population will fear me.

But really, how did some of these medals make it in over the simple Sniper headshot medal? So many of these medals are just fluff, why not focus on making useful medals?

Also the map selection in this game is getting very stale, Haven having a reduced weighting meant I played a lot of Adrift and Abandon, Solace is a good map but seems to pop up too rarely. I don't get who at 343 decided to reduce the weighting on the more popular maps.

Halo 4 has about the same starting map count as the older games right? I kind of wish they focused more on maps the size of Haven, right now the 4v4 playlists are suffering with about 4/5 maps in rotation.

BTB has:
Longbow
Exile
Ragnarok
Vortex
Meltdown

While 4v4 has:
Haven
Solace
Adrift
Complex
Abandon

I dont think BTB needs so many maps, Vortex and Meltdown hardly pop up - I just wish those maps didnt exist and where instead 4v4 maps to make things less repetitive in the majority of the other playlists.
They should slowly add Relay and other good Forge Maps...

Shadders

Remember in Halo 3 when they introduced different helmets and there was fiction for all the different helmets, why they existed, what their benefits were etc?

I remember that.

some of the medals are really stupid. getting a rocket kill, beam rifle kill, binary rifle kill, ...
why not just leave it as getting a kill. really dumb that they took out the sniper headshot medal. would be really cool to a snapshot headshot medal.

Interesting.

I have none of these, I heard they were tied to the final kill cam?

I have 6 of these.

70px-H4_-_Busted.png

9 of these.

5 of these.

rakka

Am I the only one who thinks that the medals look pretty good? I like them. :(

i hate them. it was much easier to tell apart the ones in halo 3 , reach. now they all look the damn same, not to mention appear for the shortest amount of time and in splitscreen especially are tiny as fuck.

and to top it off, the medals now count towards the train wreck that is personal ordnance. assist! distraction! vehicle destroy assist! take a step! here's your SAW!

Top Bottom