• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

I won't (can't) comment on Davidge's work until I pick up the soundtrack, but I will say the implementation of his music in the game was all over the map. Sometimes it was good, like moments when you're inside Forerunner structures, and sometimes it was bad – or rather, lacking – like when you need some music to pump you up for a fight.

And at times I was missing Marty's simple grandeur. I've been listening to this on repeat for the past several days. You're welcome.

dalVlatko

People, play slayer pro and stop playing other playlists

Yup, I started playing Slayer Pro and immediately had more fun. Its amazing how much the game slows down when there is no PV and radar. People actually have to think when they move around rather than just rush around corners or to the middle of the map.

If only there was a Team Objective Pro with different types of CTF and Assault...

Gametypes: So many custom game options are broken or forced in the Megalo script I wonder why they bothered exposing them to us. In Reach, they said they didn't have the time to change the UI to expose more Megalo options to us. Then 4 is a new game, and those options are still only accessible to 343's scripters.

I hate this. So much. Infection specifically. Infection used to be one of, if not the most flexible game-type. Now, with flood, we're stuck with hard-coded loadouts which we cant even hide, let alone alter, flood cannot spawn with weapons other than the claw, nor pick up weapons on map or global ordnance, and we can't nerf the insanely powerful flood thruster pack. We are not even given the option to give flood sprint.

Megalo is such a powerful tool, and it could become much more powerful given the time they had to develop the game. They could have even made it a scripting language that could be exposed as an API, and then the community could create their own modes, but instead we get stuck with forced load-outs.

No precision editing, the objects shift around after saving about as badly as Halo 3, Magnets don't actually make certain objects meld together (there's a gap that you can shoot between/throw grenades through), the Impact space station pieces don't all perfectly match up if you're trying to make a map out of them. The Forerunner lawnmower sound. The fact that there's hardcoded softkills in the map's playable space at all ( Ravine , Erosion ) or the fact that the building on Impact is not aligned on the grid or at an ortho angle (it's not at 90 or 45 degrees, I think Pete figured out to be something like 38). The map overwrite bug from Reach is still there. Pieces now force your Monitor to look at them from a distance, and you can no longer zoom. Pieces push themselves out of the ground (especially on Ravine) even when set to Phased. The Forge lights aren't included in the lightmaps when generated. Loadout cams are still there but pointless as they coat the entire screen in vaseline when the map starts. The fact that you have to wait about 15-20 seconds for a Forge session to actually end because someone though Forgers cared about the scoreboard at the end. The Forerunner lawnmower sound, again. Also, pieces before that fit into even WUs (1.0, 2.0, 2.5 and such) are now weird sizes (3.2, 4.3, etc). So we have no precise editing, and the pieces are unevenly sized, so you have a hell of time even fixing all the z-fighting this creates.

Also, the same damn rocks from Forge World, including Rock Seastack, the most useless of Rocks. Tempest had the Spire, 3 piece that was MUCH better and more usable, and I don't understand why that piece didn't come back.

Hard not to agree with any of this. It's pretty frustrating. I hope to all of the deities that 343i develop forge for Halo 5, not Certain Affinity. I was trying to remake a Reach custom map and game-type today and had to make so many compromises. For example, Ravine doesn't have any wide and open space to build in the air (that don't have hard-coded soft kill zones....), the Infection problems I noted above, and don't get me started on magnets...

As for the forerunner lawnmover. It's driving me insane.

---

Playlists I'm currently enjoying are Infinity Slayer, Regicide, BTB, Oddball (sometimes).

---

Misc meta-questions.

- When will the File browser work, and when will Waypoint have Halo 4 file shares?
- Will there ever be a stats/files API?
- Will Waypoint be update for mobile, specifically Windows Phone?

GhaleonEB

It feels like the game was made by two different teams. Out in the outer layers of the menu, you have the classic Halo style menu, which layers down into other options. Once you go into multiplayer, it suddenly switches to a awkwardly big tile based system. And the tiles don't make much sense. Player names are vertical but also on their side, so you have to tilt your head to read it. It feels like a decision made just so you could have spartan poses and have them visible. Then they went and layered them over each other in the lobby, so you STILL have to cycle through everyone to see their armor like Reach.

And the traffic flow (I don't know what other devs call it) is all wonky. When you press start and go down to the options, for some reason the least trafficed option (video settings) is the first one, and the File Browser is the last one, when I need to access my files much faster. In Reach, you were only two steps away from saving recent films. You have to go digging with a shovel to do this in Halo 4. Also, the file browser doesn't even work and you can't see recommendations if you have too many friends, so I can't remark on that because the feature is basically absent at the moment.

I'll look around later today and actually take notes, but the big word here is digging. It feels like you have to dig to get anything done in Halo 4's UI. Reach's UI was brutalist but it knew it had to give you access to your files in a straightforward manner. It feels like Halo 4 is trying to be pretty and not functional.

Good observations, in particular the bold.

Here's the experience of picking a Spartan Ops mission:

Select Infinity from main menu.

Selection Spartan Ops from sub menu.

Get taken to a totally different screen with three huge tiles that take up most of the screen - Play Chapters, Find Game, View Episodes. Select the first.

Now we're at a menu with a timeline across the top and large tiles on the bottom.

Pressing down dumps the timeline and Episode selection off the screen, replacing it with large tiles. We can only see 4.5 of the 5 large tiles. We can no longer tell what Episode we're looking at. Select an episode.

A large box now fills the screen, with the option to Play Chapter or set the difficulty, along with the title shot for the mission and a brief description. Meanwhile the next mission tile is scrunched up on the right of the screen.

So we have five entirely different layouts for each menu. And the final menu, while only containing two options (play, set difficulty) takes the the entire screen and is missing information (Episode name). To change episodes we need to back out, swing up to the timeline menu, swing over, then back down into the episode select, and drill into it for the play option.

For most of these menus, the players in the lobby are hidden from view.

With Bungie's UI all these options were housed in one static menu. You picked the mission, difficulty, drilled into the options and then began the mission from a short list of options on the left. Depending on what you picked, dedicated spaces populated with the relevant information. And lobby was static and visible the entire time.

Halo 4's UI is really inefficient, where every screen is huge yet contains little information and bears little resemblance to the layer you entered from or will be going to, and it add steps to the navigation process.

343 had a high bar to clear with the UI, as Bungie's work was world class (David Candland is brilliant). But this is the other end of the spectrum entirely.

Brannon

Dear Stinkles,

I have the best idea ever, and its NOT about +5 Headshot or whatever so hear me out!

I need you to add to the Support section of Loadouts an ability that makes you visible to your enemies all the time, a 'PermaNemesis', if you will.

That's the only thing it does; show your location. To everybody. All the time.

Do this, and you will be the envy of all Temer... NeoGAF. Also it's the best idea ever so agree with me.

Sincerely,
That guy that sits behind you at certain times of the week...

Great article that really nails my current issues with the mode. The lack of scoring, terrible spawning system and infinite lives really hurt it, in my opinion. I'm enjoying it for what it is and where I can, but as of now SpOps is absolutely NOT scratching the Firefight itch.

I did appreciate the dig at the shitty, generic writing of Avatar and it's comparison to the SpOps dialog. :)

Questions:

What don't you like about the UI? Be specific.
The font used in every aspect of the UI is absolutely terrible. I never, ever thought I would care at all about something so seemingly trivial until this game. I have an amazing television and trying to read some of the text makes my eyes hurt.

Decided against buying black ops 2 - they seriously overpriced the game in the uk expecting to rip people off - that and pre-order maps is stupid.

At least halo 4 didn't have Ragnorok as a pre-order bonus lol.

Interested in hearing what halo-Gafs thoughts on the game are - I had some good games of Blops1 with you kylej so let me know if it's worth getting.

Right now trying to balance a new halo multiplayer and a new CoD multiplayer seemed a bit too much anyway

Vire

My biggest problem with the UI is the framerate inexplicably goes to shit while changing your armor pieces in the menus.

Why? What is so intensive about displaying 1 model on the screen.

The UI in general should have been a lot smoother.

Also, if Palmer says "eggheads" one more time I'm going to murder someone. What the hell is with the writing...

He's busy. ;)

Can they borrow him?

Now you got me all excite for whatever you guys are working on...

I don't get it. I understand you go around capturing balls, but what is the benefit of holding the balls? Why is there a timer on the balls?

It's kind of like territories/assault. You 'arm' the ball, then you defend it, however if an enemy gets to it they can covert it, starting the timer again. When it 'detonates', i.e. when the timer reaches 0, you get a point.

GhaleonEB

So, I finished chapter 4 of Episode 2. Got to the objective at the door, the screen faded to black with the "Chapter Complete" message at the bottom.

But the game didn't end. The screen is black. But the ambient audio is still going, I can hear myself moving and shoot and deploying the armor ability. So I can still play and listen, but can't see. And it's been five minutes. I took a very non-exciting video.

I think I'm going to have to quit out. Let's see if I get credit for completing the mission.

Nope. :\

Rev3rb

Finally got some fun CTF games. Took a bit with JIP being a bitch though... Join game, 3-0, on losing team.

Thanks for joining up, Pop

Akai__

Now I know, how some people of you, which are experiencing lag, must feel. Played some games and there wasn't a single game, which wasn't lagging. :(

I'm so frustrated right now and now I'm playing AC3.

PA Report: Halo 4’s Spartan Ops is caught between a story expansion and Firefight, and loses our interest

I'm 3/5 missions through Episode 2, and this is largely where I'm at as well. The narrative and mission objectives are not as compelling as Campaign, and the combat and structure of the missions echo Firefight without any of the subsystems or cadences that made Firefight what it was.

We're in the second episode of a ten-part series, I've seen plenty of series start off slow and find their footing after a few episodes. So I'm by no means judging the whole thing. I'm looking forward to next week's content a great deal. But I hope thing get shaken up a bit along the way, and soon.

I was just about to post this. I agree with PA Report and with your hopeful nature. I also emphatically agree with this:

If she says ‘eggheads’ one more time...

And I really want scoring in these missions! That's a great way to improve them, and it's not like the game isn't already tracking all the kills.

Hi, I'm a late bloomer when it comes to the Halo series. I've played Reach, Halo 3 and recently Halo 4 in that order-- Reach and 3 were great, but I was quite underwhelmed by 4, unfortunately. So now I want to play the series' foundation. Is Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary a good remake? Any reason to stick to the Xbox version? I'm not so concerned with accuracy since I have no experience with the original, just looking for the best version.

Pop

Finally got some fun CTF games. Took a bit with JIP being a bitch though... Join game, 3-0, on losing team.

Thanks for joining up, Pop

Np man

We did have some great matches, once JIP stopped screwing us over. I had a blast though, always better with friends.

Edit: I've experienced very little lag in my time playing H4. If there has been any, the game corrects itself fast.

senador

Banned
Encountered a fun bug last night. My BR got stuck in this position. It would still fire but just shot into the ground. Didn't fix til I got killed.

I also experienced one the other night where no gun was there at all, just reticule.

lag in h4 is very inconsistent. a match will be playing fine and then all of a sudden I'm rubberbanding all over the map. Really bizzarre

Same for me. I experienced little lag in Reach, but 4 is having weird lag for me. It comes and goes and never makes sense. What I seem to experience most is people eating absurd amounts of shots. I never noticed that before, but its clear now when you can sit and shoot a guy 12 times with the BR and he doesn't die. Weird weird lag.

Tunavi

Banned
lag in h4 is very inconsistent. a match will be playing fine and then all of a sudden I'm rubberbanding all over the map. Really bizzarre

Okay, so I'm really not understanding why sprint needed to be made a default ability. I just don't like it. It's just one more thing that needs to be balanced and taken into account during game play, which I don't think benefits the game. Maps need to be designed with it in mind, players have to learn how to handle yet another important extra button on their controller, and it doesn't suit strafing very well at all. Plus, I get assassinated far more often that I ever did in any of the previous halo's, including Reach. I hate having to assume I'm about to get assassinated anytime i'm not sprinting or repeatedly looking behind me. Everyone is on crack running around at crazy speeds. That's fun as a quirky Fiesta mode game, but doesn't really need to be part of the core playlists. I can live with it, but it really doesn't make sense to me from a design perspective.

Also, I decided to play a game of Infinity Slayer after doing Slayer Pro for several days and it felt like a game tripped out on Meth. One game and I was out. Way too many things to deal with. Personal ordnances dropping out of the sky like fruit cakes for teams in the lead, making it hard to make a comeback, and opposing teams with PV and Cammo can just sit back and counter any efforts made to make that comeback.

Definitely sticking to pro slayer, but i think it would be even better without sprint.

FyreWulff

Guys, remember when they said they didn't need a beta.

Good times, right?

Let's be honest, they never actually said that. They just didn't have the time and the company expertise to do one. Betas are basically developing another game while you're making a game. The Reach beta was Bungie's third. Halo 2 being internal, Halo 3 being the first public one, then Reach was when they had their development process down pat and it was still a branch of the Reach code over a month old.

Top Bottom