• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Awww yeah level 61 :D

Fast Track gives you an extra 500 or so XP a match.
When does fast track unlock? I haven't noticed it in the menu. I haven't been looking hard enough though.
Wait until you see our Top 5 tomorrow with no announcer in game, I can't believe it
I dont even know how this is possible. I have no shields before people even start shooting :( That's how it feels anyway. Like 2 shots, dead. Maybe Steely is onto something with the lag.

X's are worthless unless they implement respawn timers, which they should, but they won't. :(

This game sounds amazing on my A40's, I've been missing out.
I was thinking the same thing about X's. If they keep instant respawn, you know exactly where to go to finish off whoever killed you.

Omni

There's only one of that type of fight in the level, dear.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, all. I got through it after a couple of deaths. It's one of my least favorite
"Hold your position!" fights of any Halo game. Thankfully there's only one.

Yeah, I know. Just couldn't remember which level was the fourth one. :)

Shadders

Using that Shutdown trick, it'll be super-easy to get the weekly campaign Tough Luck challenge and the Skulduggery Achievement if anyone is still chasing that one.

I just finished laying out a remake of a map I made in reach.

jR3CCTkL6QMzP.jpg

For comparison this is what it used to look like:

jrFDT5OLZwuJo.jpg

I'm not sure if its just cause its a new game but man that looks better.

Omni

http://i.minus.com/jR3CCTkL6QMzP.jpg[img]

[img]http://i.minus.com/jrFDT5OLZwuJo.jpg[img]

I'm not sure if its just cause its a new game but man that looks better.[/QUOTE]

That looks so much better. I have to admit, I'm kinda excited to see what gets put into MM from Forge. I imagine I'll enjoy it a lot more than Reach because it isn't just grey.

jR3CCTkL6QMzP.jpg

jrFDT5OLZwuJo.jpg

I'm not sure if its just cause its a new game but man that looks better.

Damn, it might just be because you put it out in the warmer light but that looks leaps and bounds better. It's even got a little color! How are you guys getting your screenshots, though? Is that component working on Waypoint yet?

Damn, it might just be because you put it out in the warmer light but that looks leaps and bounds better. It's even got a little color! How are you guys getting your screenshots, though? Is that component working on Waypoint yet?

I'm just using my capture card, its faster than waiting for them to show up online anyway. As far as I know files still aren't on their website.

And I have finished all five missions on heroic, yet the challenge that says heroic or harder will not be rewarded to me. Disappointing.
I had this problem too, and had it last week.

That is spectacular. Gongrats on the massive weight loss, David.

Going to romp through Episode 2 of Ops tonight, starting in a little bit, if anyone wants to co-op shoot me an invite or crash the lobby.
Damn you and your time difference!

I think Spartan Ops has a lot of potential. But so far there are some issues...

...My hope is that as this progresses, these kind of missions become more rare, and combat becomes more and more about overcoming interesting encounters, rather than waves of enemies that spawn around us. The mission should have been about 1/2 as long as it was; the 3rd or 4th wave of Prometheans were too much.
I'm treating them like mini-campaigns at the moment, and hope they shift more toward "scratching the itch" that we still have for Firefight. I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the last one, and holy shit does the Needler destroy PromKnights before a Watcher can even get over to help. I'll be using that tactic on my Legendary campaign run when I can.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fullbody

rawr, imma dragon

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, running over teammates to betray is the new thing huh? happened multiple times on ragnarok yesterday - basically anytime i had a sniper weapon. why'd they remove friendly fire if you can still do this?

Korosenai

Discovered by a HaloGAF member, to be more specific, Nowise10.

Where is he at btw?

Edit: Just read through 22 pages. Can't keep up, cause I'm too busy playing Halo 4, AC3 and doing homework. :/
I actually got matched up with him in dominion a couple days ago.

Also, is the spartan ops heroic challenge working yet?

Can Spartan Ops be played offline after you download the episodes? Say if I lose internet in the morning, could I still play it?
So far, you don't seem to "download" anything. I tried to do that yesterday when I got home from work and the episodes were just there. Locked content, I guess. Everyone's favorite.

Friendly fire is one of the things that I think needs to return. Makes the game feel more consequential in some way or another. Booting someone for betraying shouldn't hurt the game as much now with JIP.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So these may have been posted already (I'm dozens and dozens of pages behind on all the Halo threads here - no time to keep up these days), but Captain Spark just recorded a bunch of Marine chatter from Shutdown's vehicle bay, and 3 of 'em were specific GAF shoutouts. :)

PFC Dongblain
AR or BR?
Dark Planetoid (listen to the end)

I was amused. :)

Hah, that's awesome.

Friendly fire is one of the thing that I think needs to return. Makes the game feel more consequential in some way or another. Booting someone for betraying shouldn't hurt the game as much now with JIP.

Fuck no, I do not miss being betrayed by assholes or dying to friendly grenades while the enemy I just killed gets credited with a kill.

FF is still in, in a lot of modes, it's just not in infinity slayer.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So far, you don't seem to "download" anything. I tried to do that yesterday when I got home from work and the episodes were just there. Locked content, I guess. Everyone's favorite.

I would guess the first few episodes are on disc, the ones they got done. They don't cost us anything though, so it's nothing like the locked DLC necessarily. More content scheduling. I'd guess we'll start having to download them soon.

feel

I need to start keeping a list of all the tiny little UI things that annoy me and then put them all in a single post.

I still haven't figured out how to access the Fileshare, did they cut that? :/

And woke up to a free Black Ops 2 copy on Steam from a friend, sweet!!

So today is the last day of panel judging for the remix contest. Has anyone heard when and how they're announcing winners? Today? Tomorrow? Email? Waypoint?

Tawpgun

UI problems?

Let's start with the most obvious one.

Everything is too big and unnecessarily "squished" From the player "cards" to the menu options. Honestly, when I first saw images of the lobbies, I thought the game would have some minimal kinect functionality. The menu's look like they're built for a touch screen or kinect interface. You can only look at one player at a time in the lobby. Turning names sideways is terrible.

I haven't delved into the custom game options so I don't know what that is like.

Pop

I need to start keeping a list of all the tiny little UI things that annoy me and then put them all in a single post.

I still haven't figured out how to access the Fileshare, did they cut that? :/

And woke up to a free Black Ops 2 copy on Steam from a friend, sweet!!

Roster-Click on Name-Fileshare

Reminds me I need to go get Blops2, just waiting on some reviews from buddies.

I like the new menu UI. Takes a bit of getting used to, and having the Roster as a aside is bad at times, but generally you can get the information you want very quickly, which is great.

IHaveIce

Banned
I just have to go back to the COD discussion a page before, the argument that its gameplay is rehashed is soo funny coming from the Halo community, most of us also want that Halo 4 is more like the old the games and doesn't need many of the new things.

I personally dislike COD's gameplay but the stuff (features) they added in BO2 are dreamlike for us.

Back to Halo.

So there is now also a glitch for the Boltshot? Perfect, one of my most used weapons.
And it seems Trueskill finally got me, the first matches I was incredibly good for my standards and now I'm getting pooped on lol.

But SWAT.. no it just doesn't work in Halo 4 :/

And I say it again, I want Forge maps in the playlists.. at least Relay.

feel

Roster-Click on Name-Fileshare

Reminds me I need to go get Blops2, just waiting on some reviews from buddies.
Ah thanks, why didn't I think of that. Still weird that it didn't get its own big title in the Start menu.

Unrelated but pressing in on the sticks to access more options in certain menus is awkward as hell, biggest offender is getting to the recent replays.

FyreWulff

Also.. I'm honestly surprised you can join in progress to a matchmaking game via your friends list, join your friends, and end up on the other team. That seems like someone more organized could use it for shenanigans.

Karl2177

Yeah, I could see that. When I said Davidge > Marty I really meant that the music he wrote for this game is subtler, more varied, more interesting in its textures, and less baldly bombastic. I did not mean it is necessarily better implemented into the experience in terms of matching the action and transitioning between different kinds of action, and in fact I often wished I could turn the music up in the mix.
I really like both Davidge and Marty. I really like what Davidge has added to the music, but I still really wish for more monks.
Questions:

What don't you like about the UI? Be specific. What's confusing?
Which weapons are overpowered?
What are some big annoyances with maps or gametypes on certain maps? Are there parts of maps not utilized well?
What's missing in the custom games menu? What can't be removed or edited?
What don't you like about Spartan OPs?
What don't you like about campaign?
Is there anything thoroughly annoying, other than auto-pickups, in any of the gametypes right now?
Found any glitches? Where and when?
What's wrong with FORGE?

-It just feels off. I'm sorry that I can't really be specific on it. Maybe in a bit when I can articulate it better.
-SAW has too large of a clip. Incineration Cannon bounces target nearby players. Binary Rifle drops too frequently. Furthermore, Prom Vision creates standoffs where no one does anything. Jetpack breaks map flow. Active Camo is awfully overpowered.
-People camp the top of Abandon and Jetpack back up when they die. Complex and that center structure. Complex also has major framerate lag when playing split screen. Exile and Ragnarok need most of their vehicles removed. Dominion has framerate lag whenever a vehicle is destroyed.
-Haven't checked it out yet, but Instant Respawn, ability to turn sprint off, drop the flag, waypoint over flag carrier, changing certain zombie settings. There's probably more, but I haven't had the time to tinker with that yet.
-There's no importance placed on life. It reuses the campaign playspaces. It reuses Sartan Ops playspaces. There are many times where I don't feel like it is a war of intelligent combat against the AI, but more of a war of attrition. Watcher-Crawler-Knight pattern is uninteresting. AI feels like a step back. It also feels like it just devolves into throwing bad guys with one hit kill weapons at the player.
-Generally the same as SpOps. To comment on the story, I dislike that the main story is so dependent on the books. My roommate had no clue what was going on throughout the story. Maybe I was an ass, but I said I wouldn't explain anything about the characters or plot until he was done. He's still confused as fuck.
-The rate at which very heavy weapons show up in Personal Ordnance. I've seen multiple ICs and BiRis drop in a game on Haven.
-A lot. Many of the pieces aren't an even size. The hole in the 4 way large room on Impact is 6.1 units wide. The ColiWall isn't an even number. The outsides of the Impact buildings aren't flat, so you can't create a playspace involving the exterior of them. Most importantly, I believe they forgot to bind the actions to the sticks in monitor mode, so there's no zooming in or precision adjustments.

Pop

Anything! Just want to have some fun. Jumping into a game with a full party on the other team isn't very fun most of the time :/

Ya I hear ya man, I play solo 95% of the time. Friends usually don't play that often. Send me an invite-Pop 2Da TastiC

GhaleonEB

PA Report: Halo 4’s Spartan Ops is caught between a story expansion and Firefight, and loses our interest

I'm 3/5 missions through Episode 2, and this is largely where I'm at as well. The narrative and mission objectives are not as compelling as Campaign, and the combat and structure of the missions echo Firefight without any of the subsystems or cadences that made Firefight what it was.

We're in the second episode of a ten-part series, I've seen plenty of series start off slow and find their footing after a few episodes. So I'm by no means judging the whole thing. I'm looking forward to next week's content a great deal. But I hope thing get shaken up a bit along the way, and soon.

def sim

So for those of you with a 4GB slim, what are the cheapest options for installing disc 2 you can do?

I don't have a 4GB slim, but I did connect an old iPod to the back of my 360 and use it solely for storage. It works well enough if you have a useless mp3 player laying around.

Shadders

It feels to me like if you try and buy into the fiction of SpOps you're left disappointed because it doesn't deliver on the setup.

- Clear the Covenant so we can drop this shield door!

- "Ok, cool what's behind the door?"

- Fades to black before we get to see.

On mission 3 this week, am I right in thinking all the marines disappear? I'm sure a load were left alive and then the final wave of Phantoms comes in and the marines we'd gone there to save all disappear. Great.

And PA are totally right about Palmer, she's as annoying as Del Rio as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully she'll see a similar fate soon enough.

FyreWulff

Questions:

What don't you like about the UI? Be specific. What's confusing?

It feels like the game was made by two different teams. Out in the outer layers of the menu, you have the classic Halo style menu, which layers down into other options. Once you go into multiplayer, it suddenly switches to a awkwardly big tile based system. And the tiles don't make much sense. Player names are vertical but also on their side, so you have to tilt your head to read it. It feels like a decision made just so you could have spartan poses and have them visible. Then they went and layered them over each other in the lobby, so you STILL have to cycle through everyone to see their armor like Reach.

And the traffic flow (I don't know what other devs call it) is all wonky. When you press start and go down to the options, for some reason the least trafficed option (video settings) is the first one, and the File Browser is the last one, when I need to access my files much faster. In Reach, you were only two steps away from saving recent films. You have to go digging with a shovel to do this in Halo 4. Also, the file browser doesn't even work and you can't see recommendations if you have too many friends, so I can't remark on that because the feature is basically absent at the moment.

I'll look around later today and actually take notes, but the big word here is digging. It feels like you have to dig to get anything done in Halo 4's UI. Reach's UI was brutalist but it knew it had to give you access to your files in a straightforward manner. It feels like Halo 4 is trying to be pretty and not functional.

Which weapons are overpowered?

Haven't played enough to judge. Incineration cannon feels overly beefy. Counting vehicles, someone needs to realize Scorpions don't belong in regular matchmaking.

What are some big annoyances with maps or gametypes on certain maps? Are there parts of maps not utilized well?

There's tons of dead space on certain maps. Complex. Vortex (I think it was Vortex, anyway). In smaller games you see people hiding in corners and waiting for kills, especially in SWAT.

Gametypes: So many custom game options are broken or forced in the Megalo script I wonder why they bothered exposing them to us. In Reach, they said they didn't have the time to change the UI to expose more Megalo options to us. Then 4 is a new game, and those options are still only accessible to 343's scripters.

What's missing in the custom games menu? What can't be removed or edited?

see above

What's wrong with FORGE?

No precision editing, the objects shift around after saving about as badly as Halo 3, Magnets don't actually make certain objects meld together (there's a gap that you can shoot between/throw grenades through), the Impact space station pieces don't all perfectly match up if you're trying to make a map out of them. The Forerunner lawnmower sound. The fact that there's hardcoded softkills in the map's playable space at all ( Ravine , Erosion ) or the fact that the building on Impact is not aligned on the grid or at an ortho angle (it's not at 90 or 45 degrees, I think Pete figured out to be something like 38). The map overwrite bug from Reach is still there. Pieces now force your Monitor to look at them from a distance, and you can no longer zoom. Pieces push themselves out of the ground (especially on Ravine) even when set to Phased. The Forge lights aren't included in the lightmaps when generated. Loadout cams are still there but pointless as they coat the entire screen in vaseline when the map starts. The fact that you have to wait about 15-20 seconds for a Forge session to actually end because someone though Forgers cared about the scoreboard at the end. The Forerunner lawnmower sound, again. Also, pieces before that fit into even WUs (1.0, 2.0, 2.5 and such) are now weird sizes (3.2, 4.3, etc). So we have no precise editing, and the pieces are unevenly sized, so you have a hell of time even fixing all the z-fighting this creates.

Also, the same damn rocks from Forge World, including Rock Seastack, the most useless of Rocks. Tempest had the Spire, 3 piece that was MUCH better and more usable, and I don't understand why that piece didn't come back.

Top Bottom