• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Fracas

#fuckonami
So, uh, I hate to do this, and I'm not sure if it's a ploy for attention or not (I hope it's not), but Dax hasn't posted (at all) since the post he made about having mental issues. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=964626

Anyone here actually "close" to him that can check on him?

It says he's been on, so I'm guessing he's just refraining from posting.

I do wish he'd post something though, if only to make sure he's alright.

We need to know if he left because he wanted the game to change and 343i resisted it, or he didn't want the game to change and 343i wanted the series to "evolve."
Or he could have moved to Australia for family reasons. Or many other reasons.
Anyway, single figure pointing, as pointed out, is pointless. Just like it was with Sage.

Poor Sage.

Korosenai

Trying to beat mission 4 without losing a generator. 1st game two teammates quit. Second game two moron teammates driving around in the warthog destroying all of the other warthogs laughing like fuckin idiots.

I think I'll try again later after class...

Havok

Trying to beat mission 4 without losing a generator. 1st game two teammates quit. Second game two moron teammates driving around in the warthog destroying all of the other warthogs laughing like fuckin idiots.

I think I'll try again later after class...
I didn't even realize there were warthogs in that chapter. Were they at the starting spawn? I wonder if it changes based on how many people there are. I played with one other person, Heroic, and we had two Mantises at the beginning.

That achievement is mad easy with two Mantises.

Havok

Harvest has a train on it.

The technology exists! I need my Terminal remake please.

I hope the asymmetry of the map isn't too pronounced. Solace had a lot of potential but was held back by its asymmetric elements (and a bunch of other factors). This still seems a bit too huge for 5v5, especially "Kill the Waypointed Carrier in an Instant: Definitive Halo" CTF where runs are super difficult. When it comes right down to it, that's what's holding the game back for me - I don't enjoy the gametype omissions and changes, including the global ordnance stuff. New CTF doesn't hold a candle to the old version, new Slayer is more chaotic than I'd like, the game lacking Assault is still a sore spot. King and Ball are nicely improved, but not enough to make me want to play them as primary gametypes. Some of these maps seem like they would work wonderfully in the context of the old gametype stable, but with the new stuff they're just missing something. At least to me, I guess.

Kynan mentions that they designed multiple routes through the map for flag runs, but I don't necessarily see why. Looking at something like Ragnarok, you either take it through the front cannon or use a vehicle, period. Anything else means you'll be melted in an instant without making forward progress because they can see you anywhere. It works okay on something like Adrift just because spawns are so unpredictable that you might have to shift to one of the other hallways, but with a linear-style map like Harvest I just don't see any reason to do anything but take the fastest point from A to B when everybody knows where you are all the time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DAT HARVEST SKYBOX

Looking good, but that's what I thought about Complex before I played it so we'll see. I generally have faith in symmetrical maps though.

DeadNames

Banned
They should just bring the Halo 2 servers back online, call it Halo 5 and we would all praise it heavily.

I just wish they'd do something like:

Classic:
BTB
Slayer
FFA

Infinity:
BTB
Slayer
FFA

etc. Would be a much better experience IMO.

They also felt they were lacking in vehicle maps. lol.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Oops, sorry. I meant Harvest map walkthrough, not map pack.

Even though I'm disappointed that this map isn't a smaller, 4v4 Arena Slayer type map, I am excited to play it in the CTF playlist. It looks like it would work nicely with 5v5 CTF. Let's hope it will replace Complex in that playlist. Also, that Skybox/Scenery is stunning. Wow.

Korosenai

I didn't even realize there were warthogs in that chapter. Were they at the starting spawn? I wonder if it changes based on how many people there are. I played with one other person, Heroic, and we had two Mantises at the beginning.

That achievement is mad easy with two Mantises.
Wait there are mantises? That's crazy. I've played it 3 times (4 people in each game) and each time there have been about 6 warthogs.

Havok

Wait there are mantises? That's crazy. I've played it 3 times (4 people in each game) and each time there have been about 6 warthogs.
This week's Cauldron level, right? Yeah, there were two mantises at the start and two by the generators. That's really neat, changing things up for player count.

Omni

"We took a lot of feedback... but ignored it all because the map was pretty much done already"

"You're not going to be killed by someone using a DMR on the other side of the map" *Gets killed by someone using a DMR on the other side of the map*

Harvest looks interesting. Pretty at least

5:40
IGN: "This map is out very soon in December, are there any things you've learned from Halo 4's launch that you've applied here conceptually or flow-wise"
Kynan: "This was actually a map that we had in development fairly early and it was one of the testbeds for a lot of the CTF elements."

So wait... This was one of the earliest maps in development, and it is coming out as DLC?

Havok

Really glad to see that the bases are flat out color coded. Red walls and blue walls. Something the rest of the maps in the game desperately needed. Overall, it looks a lot better than I gave it credit for when it was revealed.

I hope they reintroduce stuff like 1-Flag. I don't really have a feel for how good this map will be for 2 flag 5v5, but it gives me a decent mid-size Halo 2 map vibe when I think about how an asymmetric gametype would play on it, where you'd play 1 flag and actually have vehicles in play and be important in the opening assault (something like Burial Mounds comes to mind - not a large map, but just big enough to put a Warthog on it and have it be meaningful).

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
IGN: "This map is out very soon in December, are there any things you've learned from Halo 4's launch that you've applied here conceptually or flow-wise"
Kynan: "This was actually a map that we had in development fairly early and it was one of the testbeds for a lot of the CTF elements."

So wait... This was one of the earliest maps in development, and it is coming out as DLC?

That can mean many different things, you don't know how far into development it ever was.

Could have been a block out for basic testing that everyone loved and was moved forward to be a complete map.

Yes, Because it was not done in time for shipping. Halo 4 went gold a month before launch. That map has had at least 2 Month of Dev/Polish time. DLC is also one of those things that is conceptualized and developed in the standard run up to the game.

Different teams for different things. The MP map builders don't just down tools when the Shipping maps are built.

Sometimes things can be in development hell for a long period. Various iterations or a problem area can push things way past any estimated completion point.

Are you just looking to be annoyed at 343 because there is 100 more valid complaints if thats the case

Top Bottom