• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Havok

nTksA.png
A FOTUS-style armor skin/set that made me look like Pokey might be enough to get me to buy a Limited Edition console. Maybe if it came with an exclusive skull that made every enemy into the Blockheads.

Some other factors they should account for:

1. Hit Boxes: shape, size & detection
2. Network Prediction: estimated player path, walking speeds & probable vectors
3. Latency Thresholds: affect projectiles, player movements & weapon magnetism
4. Hitscan vs. Non-Hitscan: weapons, projectiles and path mapping

Just some thoughts as to why those results don't vary that much. When you combine all the game mechanics from player, weapon, projectile, movement, acceleration, latency etc you basically have the sum of the parts being the major difference in the "feel" of the strafe effectiveness. In reality you're not just talking about strafe being effective you are talking about ALL of those factors combining into how the strafe feels. A nuance but an important one for online gaming.

raindoc

Spartan Ops Episode 5 Chapter 3 Mission Spoiler
Other stray thoughts:
- Miller is nearly just as bad as Palmer. Same dedication to one-liners. Shutting down anyone else talking.

how do you think of Roland? it seems like he's getting a lot of love from the english-speaking community. i can't stand his german version (english audio-files DLC, how hard is it 343?).

Tawpgun

TEAM REGGIE ROCKS

Yup.

We were playing and I had this funny moment when I was looking at a guy through the glass in Haven. We must have stared at each other for like 5 seconds when all of a sudden I hear REIGN OF TERROR and get damage boost. So the dude basically sees me go red and runs away lmao.

Basically this.

14-5c5426973e5f12249fcaf71e159c17bb%255B1%255D.jpg

Karl2177

So what makes so many people think strafing is dead? FOV differences maybe?

Yep, having that strafe data is only half of the puzzle. Move speed is also a big part of it. If I'm moving at 1 world unit every 30 frames and my strafe speed is 12 frames (comparable to Halo 3) versus 1 world unit every 40 frames and my strafe speed is 13 frames (comparable to Reach), then the slower target with the slower strafe is an easier target. Even comparing Halo 3 to Halo 2, where the player move speed was slightly faster, Halo 2 feels much faster. AFAIK, the only time where FOV is different, but the move speed is the same is Halo 1 -> Halo 2. I'm not sure what Halo 4's base move speed is in terms of world units, but I'd estimate it to be around Halo 3.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yup.

We were playing and I had this funny moment when I was looking at a guy through the glass in Haven. We must have stared at each other for like 5 seconds when all of a sudden I hear REIGN OF TERROR and get damage boost. So the dude basically sees me go red and runs away lmao.

Basically this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fO0cgu7KK74/TZtmZlNTFPI/AAAAAAAAADA/0qA5UtCZhCg/s1600/14-5c5426973e5f12249fcaf71e159c17bb%255B1%255D.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
lol, that's awesome.

Yeah - we don't even get a straightforward blog talking about balance issues, tweaks, glitches, etc., that they acknowledge as existing.

Does anyone else have this problem? When launching Waypoint from the Halo 4 menu it freezes my Xbox on a black screen and only a power cycle gets it to work again. This is even after deleting the Waypoint app and then reinstalling...

Yep, same issue launching Waypoint here. This has happened since day one and I've reinstalled Waypoint too. Launching from the dashboard is my friend, no biggie really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
booted up the first chapter of this week's SpOps, listened to the first 20 seconds of dialogue, quit.

why is the writing so, so bad?
What? The writing has improved tenfold now that Palmer is gone and replaced temporarily with a guy with a personality.

AWHUHUHUHUHUH PROMEEEEEEETHEANS?! made me laugh.

willow ve

booted up the first chapter of this week's SpOps, listened to the first 20 seconds of dialogue, quit.

why is the writing so, so bad?

What? The writing has improved tenfold now that Palmer is gone and replaced temporarily with a guy with a personality.

I feel like this week was an attempt to let everyone playing know that they realize the writing is pretty boring and the mission retreads has gone stale. That isn't possible as this was all created months ago (or weeks, whatever their time crunch was) so it can't be in response to any feedback, etc. But it still feels like they were saying "yeah, we get it, and we're going with full cheese on this week to prove that we get it."

J10

Banned
This week's episode of Spartan Ops is the last one on disc, right? Maybe the ones from here on out will start to feature some new environments. Fingers crossed.

Example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMuAMLM8vY

With game clips now they don't play the game announcer voices, thanks to SillyGoose we got them in for videos to edit. Jazzy does the editing for us and it's a REAL pain in the ass. It's not the worse thing ever but for something that's been out for 5 years now and hasn't had any feedback from their team makes me :(
mj-laughing.gif

ahahahahaaabhahahahahahahahahahahahah

WHAT? This is fucking ridiculous.

Halo 4 is a beta, how is it not? Or it's just an elaborate ruse by MS/343 to see just how low they can set the bar and still bring in truck loads of cash.

FWIW I realize I am quite negative every time I post here, and I really and truly try not to have such a shit opinion of Halo 4, but when I come back and read stuff like this how could I not.

I literally can't even begin to comprehend how that was funny. But, I am glad that you enjoyed it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I literally can't even begin to comprehend how that was funny. But, I am glad that you enjoyed it.
Gotta find some light in the worst SpOps mission yet.

The self-aware nature of it is comical, especially when your beyond disappointment and know what your gonna get from SpOps by now. It's pretty much the best thing about SpOps outside of the CG cutscenes.

Team Regicide is enjoyable, but is very unfun on certain maps (so far Adrift is the worst and Solace can be bad too). Giving too much cover to the team in the lead can lead to boring stalemates and campfests. Alternatively, Haven and Complex (WTF) actually play well. Yet to play on Abandon...

Props for a Halo 4 sound/image pack being released so, so early into its lifespan. <3

Reach never had one and 3's was pretty compressed and really difficult for people to find.

Have to say, they could use a few tweaks, but Halo 4's medals are my favorite out of any of the games.

Havok

I didn't feel like getting on Halo tonight, I love Doubles and Snipers, these are my thoughts. Of course there will be disagreement but hey.
Some suggestions, if they're welcome: Make Regicide a voting option in Rumble Pit, two FFA playlists don't always play nice with each other. Ensure that in Skirmish, maps that don't work well with the gametype are out of that gametype's available map pool (no more CTF Abandon/Complex, King Ragnarok). Would a no-radar gametype like Pro work well in BTB? It's never been tried, I'm not sure - it might be awesome as an alternative to BTB IS. At this point a viable BTB Objective is just CTF, as King and Ball have never worked well in that context. You might be able to get away with BTB Extraction, but at that point why have its own playlist instead of merging it? Heck, if you want to go crazy, make it a four-slot system (there's enough space in the UI) and consolidate further. I could see a Skirmish composed of CTF/King/Ball/Extraction on every voting screen working, though it's obviously not ideal for those second-tier gametypes. I don't think they can continue to carry their own weight, though.

Generally good ideas in there, strong categorization, but I just think they're going to have to be very aggressive about consolidating playlists before they slide too far down. Team Hardcore, if the settings across all the competitive communities are unified like you guys are hoping to do (fingers crossed), will be able to maintain a loyal population to a far greater extent than TS Pro has, which is good. Populations for objective playlists are already pretty sad (just over 8.5k atm, which is 9% of the total population), so giving them a unified home is the only way I see them surviving. Single gametype playlists are a noble goal, but they require a big player pool to work out, and I don't think Halo 4 is going to have that for much longer at the rate the numbers have been declining.

senador

Banned
Read the last few pages... As someone that generally likes the game, I'm pretty disappointed by so much of this crap. It's just all so baffling. It feels weird too. I feel like its the elephant in the room. It bums me out because I really respect these people. It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next months, but at this point I'm more interested in how they'll react for Halo 5.

Ramirez

Adding respawn timers would instantly make the game a lot better. The maps have no control/flow to them at all because of it.

Some interesting StarCraft II & MLG professional talk, first half is mostly about an Aussie professional but the second half and Blizzard/global professional scene is easily transferable to Halo 4. 343i would do well to look at how the global events, in game professional statistics are tracked, community is involved and Blizzard actively promote players to gain exposure across other leagues and regions too. With the MLG Starcraft comments and increase in sponsors plus community and fans attending Starcraft II events it's no wonder Halo took a back seat, even ignoring Reach & competitive settings for a moment.

Article Link

Loving Team Regicide. Something about no personal and global ordinance is great.

Everyone just using their loadout weapons works fantastic. Really, really fun mode.

CTF is much the same where it's basically your loadouts, skills and teamwork. From memory it's no killcams and no instant respawns either.

I've been enjoying CTF but only when I'm in a near full party. When you're a random it's pretty much one sided most of the time.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I can't have a good impression of Haven with instant respawn. It's not a proper competitive map in the first place, but instant makes it pretty boring to play on.

Top Bottom