• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

darthbob

speaking of this, have any of you guys played Halo 2 CE? it's a cool mod for the xbox version of H2

Bao2q.jpg

I remember this...

Halomods.org I recall; was fun to watch history repeat itself with kids whining about the current game.

Havok

I haven't tried it, but could you potentially change the team the weapon belongs to? Maybe it would only show up for them? Change it to purple or some team nobody ever uses.
Doesn't look like it, no. Just did a quick and dirty splitscreen test and everyone could see all waypoints, no matter what the Team setting was. Unfortunate, really. More unfortunate that just putting a weapon on the ground doesn't work. How that got past QA is beyond me.

GhaleonEB

I'm taking a vacation from Halo to explore Solstheim. I'll be back in a month or two. Hoping to see a lot of progress toward making Halo 4 a better game when I get back.

(I added up my Skyrim playtime on my five characters so far. 516 hours. 0_o)

Later.

Louis Wu

Still you would think there would be a simple option like "Disable Instant Respawn"
I'm confused. (I haven't messed around with custom menus very much, so if this is complicated, I apologize - but you certainly CAN disable it, it's disabled in every Objective hopper!)

Are you saying it's not removable for slayer? Or that it's not removable at all in custom games?

Can you just modify one of the official gametypes that has it turned off?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm taking a vacation from Halo to explore Solstheim. I'll be back in a month or two. Hoping to see a lot of progress toward making Halo 4 a better game when I get back.

(I added up my Skyrim playtime on my five characters so far. 516 hours. 0_o)

Later.

You can still post here you know! :p

I have had to lock myself down from buying all the new DLC until I finish my backlog. I really want to play the Skyrim DLC and the Mass Effect 3 stuff, but I have about 9 games under my TV to finish, to which I'll be adding Far Cry 3 today. So much to play... Glad work vacation is coming up in a few weeks.

wwm0nkey

I'm confused. (I haven't messed around with custom menus very much, so if this is complicated, I apologize - but you certainly CAN disable it, it's disabled in every Objective hopper!)

Are you saying it's not removable for slayer? Or that it's not removable at all in custom games?

It can not be removed for slayer which is the game type I wanted to focus on first with the no spring mode.

IHaveIce

Banned

nope, slayer will have instant respawn regardless of disabling :(

Karl2177

Thanks for the responses guys. Kyle, if he posts a crying baby, I'll post a picture of an empty room titled "Turok LAN".

I'm probably going to update that a bit later to include stuff like how awful the spawning is and the information overload. To the overall package of Halo 4, I only covered at most 11 things on my bullshit list.

I'm really curious as to what kind of death march the development was like for Halo 4. The fact that something as simple as ordnance indicators being so broken leads me to believe it was hellish.

Well we know Ryan Payton left in the middle of development, and just recently we discovered the sandbox lead left with a year left. Also, if I remember right, didn't someone who joined 343 after working at Bungie leave in the middle of development too and say quite a few people had left?

Why don't you listen the podcast?

Why do people post stuff like this? Not everyone has time to read/listen to everything that gets posted here.

TCKaos

This. Halo Reach is a far prettier game than Halo 4 when all is said and done.
Art design was better too.

It's a bit more cohesive in Reach, whereas in 4 a bunch of things seem to be in completely different styles (not different to Bungie's Halo, but different to Halo 4 itself). Like, looking at the helmets, you can clearly see the differences in the eastern and western artists. It's really jarring.

EDIT: Though I very much prefer the overall asthetic of 4 to Reach. It's just that there are some really tiny specks of shit in an otherwise delicious bowl of punch.

Uhh, Halo 4 campaign is gorgeous. I'd disagree that Reach and 3 looked better. The Forerunner structures (inside) alone are much improved.

I'll give you the interior levels, they look pretty great. The open levels look pretty meh, especially the skyboxes. Explosions and particle effects are meh too.
Textures are terribad.
Only thing that's improved are animations & polycount (somewhat).

Halo 3 was rather ugly due to 640p and no AA. Lighting, water effects and explosions were supreme though.
Overall, I like Reach the most, visually speaking.

senador

Banned

I do not agree with this at all. I think Reach looks great, but Halo 4 looks much better (in most areas anyway, some of the maps are lacking). Is your hate just clouding all judgement now?

Why don't you listen the podcast?
Why do people post stuff like this? Not everyone has time to read/listen to everything that gets posted here.
Indeed, that's kind of a weird question Hyper.

Reach and 4 have both good looking and uglier moments, but it'd be hard for me not to be more impressed by Halo 4.

But that had probably may have more to do my with my lofty expectations for Reach. My problem's with 4's style were clear months before launch.

neoism

Example -

With game clips now they don't play the game announcer voices, thanks to SillyGoose we got them in for videos to edit. Jazzy does the editing for us and it's a REAL pain in the ass. It's not the worse thing ever but for something that's been out for 5 years now and hasn't had any feedback from their team makes me :(
Lol 343 should be ashamed

neoism

Uhh, Halo 4 campaign is gorgeous. I'd disagree that Reach and 3 looked better. The Forerunner structures (inside) alone are much improved.
It does in Spades reach had much better textures the only thing the 4 does insanely well is the lighting, even though I think its a little overdone. The grain filter in reach never bothered me and I loved the night vision green effect. The ground in 4 looks terribad add that with the streaming they did with the textures lol pc games have ruined me....but I would have rather had a better looking game and less over done lighting..lol typing on iPhone sucks.....

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
-This was recorded on November 20th
-Weekly fixes in War Games
-They read every tweet, and forum posts. Taking lots of feedback
-Can only be fixed once a week after testing has been completed
-Talks about Complex fix. Big, known glitch was just 1 of 6 fixed on that map
-Prioritizes fixes based on how bad they are
-Updates just come to matchmaking maps and therefore need to be downloaded to have changes in customs
-Classic gametypes would need to be "rebuilt" to work with Halo 4 (ex. Race)
-Extraction talk
-Ragnarok & Mantis talk
-Railgun talk
-Why Ragnarok?
-We loved Valhalla
-Built it early, seemed to work well with H4 Sandbox
-"It just stuck"
-Versatile map
-Slightly reduced Ragnarok weighting. Dust Storm, "awwwww".
-Paying attention to classic map requests and are being considered.
-Wanted to focus on getting as many brand new maps at launch
-Definite possibility that we'll see Classic Forge remakes in matchmaking
-Talking about remake release timing and such.
-Talking about needing smaller maps in Infinity Slayer (Kevin Franklin brought it up on his own OMG LOLZ)
-Why no forge maps in MM? Why not Relay?
-Relay & Relay CTF needs some more tweaking but will come at some point. Potentially pretty soon along with other Forge Maps
-What about community maps?
-Checking out Community Cartographer maps.
-Time frame for putting community maps in MM (LOL we've got other shit to fix bro. It's coming though)
-MLG Dallas talk
-Kevin loved it. Had fun watching games, talking to fans, players and coaches
-What feedback did you get from MLG Dallas? (People liked how it felt, guns, movement)
-People asking about main weapon balance. Still watching meta data in matchmaking
-Carbine talk. Very high skill curve. Says it has the fastest kill time if all shots hit. They're keeping an eye on balance and will discuss necessary changes
-Why change the tempo of the game? Why speed it up some?
-Tons of factors that go in to how the tempo changes in the end
-Wanted to increased speed; "it does raise the skill curve" 60 kills to win is a product of increased game tempo
-Why put it as points instead of kills? Why do it like CoD?
-They wanted to recognize efforts made by players that weren't just kills, deaths, assists. Expanded to points system to reward everything from Distraction to capturing a flag
-Why 600 points in Infinity Slayer though bro?
-Keeping consistency with new points system. Kill = 10 points so we make the game score counter reflect that
-SORRY FOR HOLDING YOU FOR SO LONG...PLEASE COME BACK...DON'T BE SCARED
-WE'VE GOT TO GET YOU BACK AT SOME POINT....Kevin Franklin: Silence
-Any chance of seeing an "insane gametype" in matchmaking? Kevin Franklin: Yea those are cool but not for a long time
-Spectator mode? CoD has it bro. TF2 has it bro. We going to see something like that in Halo? Maybe just on LAN?
-Kevin Franklin: We know you guys want it. It's on our list. We can't give a time line because we're not sure if it's going to happen. But yea, it's something that we definitely want to put do.

Last words Kevin: Tweet at me - DMR or BR in SWAT?
More SWAT talk.
Let us know how you feel about Banshee removal from CTF Ragnarok
-Talking about old bulletins about Personal Ordnance drops.

THANKS FOR COMING ON, YOU SURVIVED PODTACULAR. K BYE.

Tawpgun

Idk why anyone would ever want to make a 4sk BR gametype other than nostalgia. And here's a tip for your gametype: see if 1 BR burst + 1 snipe body shot = kill.

And yes, why can't we have individual weapon modifiers? Let people play the way they want to in custom games.
Because I disagree with 343's decision to nerf the dmr/br by making it 2 kills per mag

-Updates just come to matchmaking maps and therefore need to be downloaded to have changes in customs

Will update as I keep listening...
Sir you are awesome, thanks. I can't access video game sites here at work nor could I listen to a podcast at work.

That said, very uninteresting so far haha

Cool cover.
Definitely. I really love 343's Cortana. She looks better than ever and I hope they don't change her look too much in the next couple games.
but add nipples :p

I think 4 has more LOD issues, lots of apparent blobbing, and some of the ground shading (thinking mostly Ragnarok and mission 2) end up looking like the environmental equivalent of Lord Hood, but aesthetically 4 blows Reach away by a significant margin. It's hard to go back to that grainy desaturated ugliness.

Cool cover.
Almost ruined by the "PC master race" scribbling.

FyreWulff

-They read every tweet, and forum posts. Taking lots of feedback
-Classic gametypes would need to be "rebuilt" to work with Halo 4 (ex. Race)
-Extraction talk
-Ragnarok & Mantis talk

Will update as I keep listening...

Wait, why would they need to rebuild to support Race?

It's a gametype with a hill marker object that moves.

King of the Hill is a gametype with a hill marker object that moves.

Unless they're talking about voiceover, but the Race community doesn't give a crap if the announcer actually says CHECKPOINT REACH or not.

Korosenai

OT, but im in my ethics class right now and we are talking about videogames. Pretty much everyone is saying games could effect someones mind and make you want to kill someone, and that when you kill someone in a game, subconsciously you want to in real life.

My mind is full of wat.

OT, but im in my ethics class right now and we are talking about videogames. Pretty much everyone is saying games could effect someones mind and make you want to kill someone, and that when you kill someone in a game, subconsciously you want to in real life.

My mind is full of wat.
It's cute when that's brought up.

Fuchsdh

My mind is full of wat.
Well damn, I better not be left alone with marines for any length of time then.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Wait, why would they need to rebuild to support Race?

It's a gametype with a hill marker object that moves.

King of the Hill is a gametype with a hill marker object that moves.

Unless they're talking about voiceover, but the Race community doesn't give a crap if the announcer actually says CHECKPOINT REACH or not.

Don't know. I zoned out as soon as Dustin mentioned race lol

My mind is full of wat.

Penn and Teller do a pretty hilarious segment on this.

edit: this podcast with kevin franklin is making me cry, "it's possible to add race, but it's not coming soon." this seems like a common theme ;_;

Top Bottom